• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

Sugarmonkey

Hi guys, I asked this a while back but didn’t get a response, so I figured I would try again. I was able to, only once before, have my Astro A50 gen 2 headset receive audio from my PS4 or my tcl p605. Not sure what I did as I can’t figure out how to get audio for both now (PS4 pro). Anyone know or have a set up that works?

Pasedo

For those in Australia the TCL tech representative told me the P20 is the equivalent model but doesn't have wide colour gamut and uses Android TV instead if Roku. If you want WCG you can go for the 55C2US which also had the better Harman Kardon speakers.

So I just got the TCL 55P605 from Bestbuy. I have hooked it up to my One X and everything is working awesome, 4k games look amazing.

Two minor things though, there is a strong plastic smell coming from it since I took it out of the box .
Also, for some reason on certain screens it doesnt get all the way black, more of a gray. Its weird because on some black screens it gets completely black and others it doesnt.

funcojoe

So I just got the TCL 55P605 from Bestbuy. I have hooked it up to my One X and everything is working awesome, 4k games look amazing.

Two minor things though, there is a strong plastic smell coming from it since I took it out of the box .
Also, for some reason on certain screens it doesnt get all the way black, more of a gray. Its weird because on some black screens it gets completely black and others it doesnt.
That smell will go away.
If the game is in hdr you will see black as black the tv can get, non hdr content can get washed out blacks at times.

Can you be more specific in what’s washed out looking.

That smell will go away.
If the game is in hdr you will see black as black the tv can get, non hdr content can get washed out blacks at times.

Can you be more specific in what’s washed out looking.

Its just screens that I know are supposed to be black and they are gray.
The one I'm looking at right now are the Titanfall 2 loading screens which are supposed to be mostly black. They are more of a dark gray color.

funcojoe

Its just screens that I know are supposed to be black and they are gray.
The one I'm looking at right now are the Titanfall 2 loading screens which are supposed to be mostly black. They are more of a dark gray color.

Do you have the hdmi setting in the tvs menu set to 2.0?

What is your brightness setting?

Love this TV. An incredible buy, especially for the price. Little salty I don't have a PS4 Pro; part of me is considering upgrading my PS4 just for this.

Only issue is the sound quality.

Haven't had a sound bar for a TV before; don't really know where to start looking. Any recommendations? What have you guys done to remedy the below average sound?

funcojoe

Love this TV. An incredible buy, especially for the price. Little salty I don't have a PS4 Pro; part of me is considering upgrading my PS4 just for this.

Haven't had a sound bar for a TV before; don't really know where to start looking. Any recommendations? What have you guys done to remedy the below average sound?

Sound bar is a must, or a nice set of Astros if your living alone .

$200 Vizio 5.1 sounbar from Costco.

funcojoe

Brightness is set to 44, I don't know how to change hdmi to 2.0

Hit the home button, shut off the x1x, unplug the hdmi cord.

From home scroll down to inputs, go to the hdmi input you’re going to use, set that to 2.0, replug the hdmi cable in.

That’s first thing you need to do.

After that launch 1x , you will have 2 different settings for this input, non hdr and hdr. I can send you the settings that have been universally used as the best for gaming and hdr on this set.

Hit the home button, shut off the x1x, unplug the hdmi cord.

From home scroll down to inputs, go to the hdmi input you’re going to use, set that to 2.0, replug the hdmi cable in.

That’s first thing you need to do.

After that launch 1x , you will have 2 different settings for this input, non hdr and hdr. I can send you the settings that have been universally used as the best for gaming and hdr on this set.

Thanks, I had no idea I had to set my hdmi port. I dont see the hdr settings though.

funcojoe

You have to launch a hdr game on that input, you’ll see the notice pop up. You will set the hdr settings while in hdr mode. Outside of hdr mode say the dash you will set the non hdr settings.

Let me grab them real quick.

funcojoe

Non hdr
X5j1JpF.jpg

Then go to advanced picture settings.

oIbHO0Y.jpg

Hdr

IR6m4OI.jpg

Go to advanced settings.

xLrTBhG.jpg

Now go to your mobile phone and download the roku mobile app.
Go to advanced settings and set gamma to 2.2 and noise reduction to off.

You’re all done, now set that for streaming the roku apps as well as it’s considered it’s own input.

You were playing Assassin's Creed Origins when you did that correct?
I went into that and did not see the HDR option anywhere.

I have my hdmi passing through a Elgato HD60 using the cable that came with the One X on one side and the cable that came with the Day One Xbox One on the other side. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Perhaps the Elgato can't pass HDR through?
Thats probably my issue.

funcojoe

You were playing Assassin's Creed Origins when you did that correct?
I went into that and did not see the HDR option anywhere.

I have my hdmi passing through a Elgato HD60 using the cable that came with the One X on one side and the cable that came with the Day One Xbox One on the other side. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Perhaps the Elgato can't pass HDR through?

Thats probably my issue.

That would be it, the Xbox one og cable isn’t hdmi 2.0

That would be it, the Xbox one og cable isn't hdmi 2.0

Alright, thank you for your help. I will have to buy another hdmi cable.
Edit: Actually using just the One X cable without the elgato or the other cable used I still dont get HDR.
Now going into my Xbox settings it only gives me the option of 720p and 1080p and says my tv is running at 1080p. WTH?
It says my tv isnt capable of 4k.
Edit 2: Figured out I didnt have my Xbox settings right. I need to have it on auto detect. Changed that and it fixed everything.

HMC

Was planning to get the P605 but the C807 offer at Costco for 425 bucks is hard to pass up. Is the C-series edge vs direct dimming a huge difference?

You can have hdr on an 8 bit its not as good mainly because am 8 bit TV is probably not going to get as bright as a higher end 10 bit panel. As long as your TV can hit 4-500 nits it will be easily noticeable.

Does anyone have any expierence with this TV/ I plan to check out my local Walmart tomorrow to see if they have a display but thought i'd ask around.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-55-Class-4K-2160P-HDR-Roku-Smart-LED-TV-55S401/861683284

It's good but not as good as the P605/7. It doesn't have HDR and isn't half as bright. If all you want is 4K it's fine but for $200 more you could get a much better version of this TV with high quality HDR.

Also...fuck Wal-Mart. Go to BB or Target and price-match if you must.

//ARCANUM

Hey all! I thought they updated the P607 to allow local dimming at the same time as game mode, but my tv isn’t allowing it....

I’m on software 7.7.0 build 4154. And it says it’s fully updated. Help?

Klocker

Hey all! I thought they updated the P607 to allow local dimming at the same time as game mode, but my tv isn't allowing it....

I'm on software 7.7.0 build 4154. And it says it's fully updated. Help?

Be sure you have dynamic contrast set to Off. Local contrast (dimming) will not work with that on.

and yes that is the latest build. Been out for over a month

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
As I expected, this TV has not gotten any major Black Friday discounts and even at $600 from Best Buy is still probably the best deal at this price point

Unfortunately the price at Amazon has actually INCREASED to $849.99 on Amazon.
At that price, you might as well spend the extra $150 and get the Sony 55" P900E for $999.99.

So if you want this TV, the best option is to pick up the Best Buy version for $600.

EDIT: The $849.99 is not actually amazon.com, just another seller.

http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-lcd-tvs-ces-2018/
Probably not thread worthy since the tv has only just been announced and it will be a while before we know how it is for gaming. Regardless, this has me so pumped. I've been eagerly waiting for what TCL has in store for 2018 and finally we are getting some news. Really excited for the R61 65" tv. Hoping it reviews well whenever it's released.

Last edited:
http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-lcd-tvs-ces-2018/
Probably not thread worthy since the tv has only just been announced and it will be a while before we know how it is for gaming. Regardless, this has me so pumped. I've been eagerly waiting for what TCL has in store for 2018 and finally we are getting some news. Really excited for the R61 65" tv. Hoping it reviews well whenever it's released.
Wow same price! And more dimming zones. Nice! Still no word if it's 60 or 120Hz, but given the price I guess it's still 60.

Yeah I love how aggressive TCL is being with their pricing. Hoping the 65" is close to $1000-$1200. I would assume 60Hz, but I guess we'll find out this Spring.

anglis84

Neo Member
Vizio m series

I own both these TV's, and while the Vizio M is the only one comparable, the TCL is a much better TV imo. The only thing the Vizio M beats it in is viewing angle and that is it. HDR just looks better on the TCL (it has more zones). The darks are better. The TV Roku is just better than the glitchy Vizio M. I understand why the M gets good ratings, because of price but I still regret buying it. It's why I went and bought a TCLP605 at BB.

Norse

I own both these TV's, and while the Vizio M is the only one comparable, the TCL is a much better TV imo. The only thing the Vizio M beats it in is viewing angle and that is it. HDR just looks better on the TCL (it has more zones). The darks are better. The TV Roku is just better than the glitchy Vizio M. I understand why the M gets good ratings, because of price but I still regret buying it. It's why I went and bought a TCLP605 at BB.

I've held off as I wanted to see the 2018 models first. Reason for the Vizio M series is for 65" as tcl p series doesn't offer it in 2017.

Top Bottom