• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashby

Hmm, I was deciding between Shovel Knight and Mr. Shifty on a game that'll keep me using my Switch as I'm about to finish Zelda. Went with Shovel Knight.

Let me bring you up to speed.
Hmm, I was deciding between Shovel Knight and Mr. Shifty on a game that'll keep me using my Switch as I'm about to finish Zelda. Went with Shovel Knight.

You did good.

shovel-knight-fire-gif.gif

Mr Shifty - For everyone asking about it, I really don't see any sort of decent story within it, and it's honestly a "worse" Hotline Miami. I played for about 2-3 hours before I gave up with it.

As a side note, I have a GTX 970 that handles it fine, so I'm not sure why Rorie was having so many issues (but that doesn't mean that he's wrong.)

Hindl

Mr Shifty - For everyone asking about it, I really don't see any sort of decent story within it, and it's honestly a "worse" Hotline Miami. I played for about 2-3 hours before I gave up with it.

As a side note, I have a GTX 970 that handles it fine, so I'm not sure why Rorie was having so many issues (but that doesn't mean that he's wrong.)

Hmmm, could be a CPU bottleneck then

Picked up Battlegrounds
pub-guh
. I like it so far, but there's a level of jank in the movement and aiming/shooting camera that doesn't feel fantastic. It's all fine when you're outdoors or you have a lot of space to work with, but as soon as you're in an enclosed area and the camera starts to move in after hitting geometry, it quickly feels like I'm just fumbling around.

Every close-quarters gunfight I've been in feels like

giphy.gif

Still, enjoying it. Been approaching it stealthy-like, which seems to generally work pretty well but ratchets up the intensity to borderline uncomfortable levels.

Still, enjoying it. Been approaching it stealthy-like, which seems to generally work pretty well but ratchets up the intensity to borderline uncomfortable levels.

I love-hate that feeling. When you play a multiplayer game stealth and you're forced into action, theres always this low level freak out you get when you get found by another player.

kiguel182

Right now on episode 86 of Persona ER and man is this dragging. Fusing + dungeon crawling is so boring to watch. Maybe to play it isn't but watching is a drag.

I quite enjoy the jankiness of PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, it gives it an identity of sorts. I'm afraid that it'll completely go away if they polish it too much. As it stands right now it is on the fine line between being complete jank & polished.

SeanR1221

Finished horizon. Excellent game but my opinion on it is tainted by Zelda. Every time I missed a specifically colored handhold on a mountain or saw a new icon appear on map I kinda rolled my eyes 🙄 But if I never touched Zelda? It would probably be my favorite game of 2017

No drive to finish up side stuff. I may just go back to Zelda.

Hindl

Persona 5 remains great 5 dungeons in. And the story's finally starting to connect a lot of separate threads. Though I guess being in September/October this is usually where shit starts building up in these games

I'm in the 5th Palace now and I really wish Persona 5's dungeons were more fun to play. Not having them be randomly generated anymore seemed like such a nice idea, but in practice most of them are just designed to be a slog.

Hindl

Persona 5 won't be in the Top 10.

Oh yeah definitely. Depending on the quality of CoD and Destiny, it might sneak into the 10th spot. But dungeons were never the strength of this game, it's everything else. And it kinda get to be a bit of a slog, but I still think they're much better done than the Persona 4 auto-generated ones. And the rest of it has improved upon Persona 4 in a lot of cool ways

oti

Banned
Thanks to Puyo Puyo Tetris I'm obsessed with Tetris again. And this stream is great.

https://youtu.be/kRocfCMewpA

Oh yeah definitely. Depending on the quality of CoD and Destiny, it might sneak into the 10th spot. But dungeons were never the strength of this game, it's everything else. And it kinda get to be a bit of a slog, but I still think they're much better done than the Persona 4 auto-generated ones. And the rest of it has improved upon Persona 4 in a lot of cool ways

Seeing how people here on GAF have such different opinions I just can't see Jeff or Brad forcing themselves to really play that game this year. Dan's out anyway.

The two hires are your only hope, Anime fans.

Meguro

Banned
I'd be more than happy if Automata got on the top 10 instead.
I think that's a more "important" game to give recognition to, if that makes sense.

Tunoku

As someone who always enjoyed the Persona combat system, making the dungeons more exciting to run around in was a huge deal for me. It doesn't feel like homework you need to do so you can socialize with your buddies anymore, but rather a fully realized aspect of the game. It also helped that they did a better job weaving the game's narrative and character motivations into the palaces.

I'm in the 5th Palace now and I really wish Persona 5's dungeons were more fun to play. Not having them be randomly generated anymore seemed like such a nice idea, but in practice most of them are just designed to be a slog.

Real talk though, what JRPG dungeons aren't a slog on some level? It's kind of a hallmark of the genre. Persona 5's at least are nice to look at and have a decent amount of variety. I like them a lot so far. But then I'm only on the third one so maybe they get annoying later.

But yeah the game won't be top 10. There's just not enough interest.

Hindl

Thanks to Puyo Puyo Tetris I'm obsessed with Tetris again. And this stream is great.

https://youtu.be/kRocfCMewpA

Seeing how people here on GAF have such different opinions I just can't see Jeff or Brad forcing themselves to really play that game this year. Dan's out anyway.

The two hires are your only hope, Anime fans.

Well Brad and Dan were never going to play it, and Jeff really only cares about Persona 4. And Alex would rather have Nier than Persona I'm betting, and Vinny will go Zelda over it (not that Zelda will need help) and he probably won't even finish it. So yeah up to the new hires

Real talk though, what JRPG dungeons aren't a slog on some level? It's kind of a hallmark of the genre. Persona 5's at least are nice to look at and have a decent amount of variety. I like them a lot so far. But then I'm only on the third one so maybe they get annoying later.

But yeah the game won't be top 10. There's just not enough interest.

3rd was the worst dungeon for me so far

Listening to the Nier discussion on the Bombcast, and man, I really need to get to that game. Sounds like it scratches some similar itches to Undertale.

Zero315

Banned
I bought Jackbox 2 and it is terrible compared to the first. How is 3?
3 is miles ahead of 2. 2 had mostly terrible games, I never even bothered to buy it because they all looked boring. 3 is worth it for Murder Trivia Party, Fakin' It, and Tee K.O.

patapuf

Out of curiosity, what do those two have in common?

Both are good at intertwining mechanics and narrative and use the "game" part in unique ways.

Otherwise they are as different as can be in terms of gameplay, story and tone.

Undertale is an homage to earthbound and oozes positivity and hopefulness. Nier is a platinum action game and takes great pleasure in making everyone suffer for the crime of existing.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Nier would be better as a linear experience without all those boring fetch quests and the empty open world.
It's a bad Ubisoft game except the story is good.

Nier would be better as a linear experience without all those boring fetch quests and the empty open world.
It's a bad Ubisoft game except the story is good.

The open world part isn't great, but it isn't really an open world game and calling it an Ubisoft game is just ridiculous.

Though calling something an Ubisoft type game at this point is really just a meaningless meme.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The open world part isn't great, but it isn't really an open world game and calling it an Ubisoft game is just ridiculous.

Though calling something an Ubisoft type game at this point is really just a meaningless meme.

Sorry, when I think of bad open world games I automatically think of Ubisoft games.
I guess Nier is just an bad open world game (again, great story though).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom