• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 - OT - The cheap one

GHG

Gold Member
How much with options?

I see they've taken the Porsche approach to options. No thanks.

Toki767

Sadly 215 miles means I can never take it on a road trip from SF to LA.

At least, not until there are more recharge stations down I-5.

pieface

I'd love one of these. I drive about 10miles a day max. Would be perfect for me.

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money!

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Self-driving is what interests me, after my motorbike accident I feel more anxious when driving.

ascii42

This car should have a HUD.

Ok let's rephrase: 215 mile range is practical for people who don't drive more than 215 miles a day, which is pretty much everyone.

Hell, Chevy's claim with the Volt was that its ~40 mile electric range was enough for like 80% of people.

mcfrank

Sadly 215 miles means I can never take it on a road trip from SF to LA.

At least, not until there are more recharge stations down I-5.

There are a ton of charging options on that route. Should be very easy. Also, 215 is just the base range.

AWkqFdI.png

subrock

I’m a reservation holder, but I’m on the fence as to whether I’ll commit. It will need to be able to operate as an autonomous taxi for my family and friends, and there will have to be some better incentives in BC before I go all in. I’d love to support Tesla in their mission, but I’d rather put $700/mo in stock than buy a car I don’t *really* need.

mcfrank

How long does it take to charge and get another 215 miles?

Tesla supercharging stations charge with up to 145 kW of power distributed between two adjacent cars, with a maximum of 120 kW per car. That is up to 16 times as fast as public charging stations; they take about 20 minutes to charge to 50%, 40 minutes to charge to 80%, and 75 minutes to 100%.

BFIB

So incredibly jealous of you gaffers getting in on this. Please post a lot of photos, videos, etc. so I can live vicariously through you.

Donos

Tesla supercharging stations charge with up to 145 kW of power distributed between two adjacent cars, with a maximum of 120 kW per car. That is up to 16 times as fast as public charging stations; they take about 20 minutes to charge to 50%, 40 minutes to charge to 80%, and 75 minutes to 100%.

Damn, didn't knew this. This is perfect for a McDrive / Toilet brake. Damn Musk is not fucking around.

SpecX

This car should have a HUD.

Hell, Chevy's claim with the Volt was that its ~40 mile electric range was enough for like 80% of people.

It is for me at least. My Volt has been sitting on E for gas all week and I don't use more than 20 miles electric range commuting back and forth to work. Even if I go out to the bar, I can still stick with electric energy as long as I stay in town.

How much will the car cost with all of the options?
Again, no one knows for sure but it should be around $60,000 - $70,000 with max battery and auto-pilot options.

Most things I've read have said to expect $45,000 - $55,000 with max batter and auto-pilot options.

Seems like the estimates are about $3-5,000 for autopilot option.

Very excited. Reserved mine in store the first day at about 6pm est. so before online orders went live, but after the initial rush of people in the morning. I'm on the east coast though, in Maryland. Hoping to have it by the end of the year or early next, but I also kind of want to wait for AWD. I want that fed tax credit though.

You will have to pay extra to enable autopilot but my guess is it will only 2-3k more. Isn't it like 3k to enable it on the model S?

Anyways, I can't wait. All praise Lord Elon.

Driving to the nearest city is 280 miles one way. If I want to go down for the weekend, it wouldn't be possible. There's no charging stations on the way either.

Yah, unfortunately, I doubt you're the target market for this car.

Living in the city, I drive an average of about 30 miles a day.

Doodis

Yeah, I am maxing autopilot options and battery options for sure. My big debate is if I will hold out for dual motors or not. Probably not.

Also stressing over whether or not to wait for AWD. I don't have a huge budget so it's probably either that or the bigger battery, depending on what the actual pricing turns out to be.

God that dash is hideous. I just can't get over it. Hopefully a friend buys one so I can drive it for a bit.

Disclaimer: I'm 38 this may be old man yelling at clouds idk.

I'm 41 and have no issues with it. But plenty of people feel the same way you do.

Nista

I'm glad they are getting this out in the real world for people soon, so their designers can get working on a new model roadster. I'll need a car replacement in another 50k miles or so, so as long as it comes out before the final ASOIAF book, I'll be good. :)

I'm also 41, and yeah I'm not a fan of the model 3 dash compared to the S.

GTI Guy

I'm in sales, in the U.K.

I'll often have to drive up to Scotland, or down to London, to visit customers, or our offices. Can frequently end up doing more than 215 miles in a day, as do many of my colleagues and friends also in the profession. It's not some major rarity.

Even just driving from Manchester to Edinburgh goes over 215 miles, never mind when I have to get to Dundee and Aberdeen.

For me, this is a sexy car for people who enjoy driving, but it's actually for people who don't do much driving at all.

You are not the norm. People on average (in the US) average around 14k miles a year if I recall correctly. If we do just 200 miles a day 5 days a week you are doing 52k miles a year. That's over 3x the average driver.

I hate how empty it looks inside. Driving this car must be a really boring experience. But I guess people aren't buying these for the experience.

sangreal

I'm in sales, in the U.K.

I'll often have to drive up to Scotland, or down to London, to visit customers, or our offices. Can frequently end up doing more than 215 miles in a day, as do many of my colleagues and friends also in the profession. It's not some major rarity.

Even just driving from Manchester to Edinburgh goes over 215 miles, never mind when I have to get to Dundee and Aberdeen.

For me, this is a sexy car for people who enjoy driving, but it's actually for people who don't do much driving at all.

Driving "215 miles in a day" and driving "215 miles a day" are wildly different things

On days you need to drive more than 215 miles, you recharge.

subrock

I hate how empty it looks inside. Driving this car must be a really boring experience. But I guess people aren't buying these for the experience.

Do you get all jazzed up in other cars playing with all the dials on the center console? I'm excited about that dash because it looks easy to clean, and with nothing to break.

darscot

The experience of driving for you relates to how the interior of a car looks? Are you talking about the experience of being parked waiting for something?

GTI Guy

I'm going to be taking a nap in the back seat while it drives me around. Who cares what it looks like inside. :)

AMUSIX

Damn, didn't knew this. This is perfect for a McDrive / Toilet brake. Damn Musk is not fucking around.

Know that doesn't mean it takes 20 minutes to charge 50%, it's to charge from 0-50. If you're already at 50%, then 20 minutes charge will get you to 80, and it'll take almost an hour to get to 100% again.

This is NOT a car suited for long trips. I live in San Diego, driving to Tahoe with a Tesla is laughable, it took 3-4 stops, all over an hour (the fourth was just in tahoe, but was necessary to do before we drove down to the cabin), and that's not even leaving the state.

I'm glad I got a Leaf instead of waiting on this. That interior looks awful and I don't just mean from an aesthetic point of view. I don't want to use a tablet for every control and to view all information in the car.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This is going to be my next car, hopefully by late 2018.

How often does a normal person drive between SF and LA anyway? Can't you...fly? Take the train? Bus?

Why would you want to drive LA to SF anyway? Parking sucks and you're putting that much miles on your car if you're doing it more than once per week. There are better options out there.

mcfrank

I think a lot of people over-estimate the inconvinence of this car for road trips and under-estimate the inconvince of getting gas every week to 10 days of their normal routine. I would gladly trade stopping twice for an hour to eat and take a break on my road trip once a year to save 7 minutes of getting gas every week the other 51 weeks.

Sobriquet

Still bummed at how this car looks, both inside and out.

How often does a normal person drive between SF and LA anyway? Can't you...fly? Take the train? Bus?

Why would you want to drive LA to SF anyway? Parking sucks and you're putting that much miles on your car if you're doing it more than once per week. There are better options out there.

I used to quite a bit. It's not a bad drive, and it's not uncommon. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think a lot of people over-estimate the inconvinence of this car for road trips and under-estimate the inconvince of getting gas every week to 10 days of their normal routine. I would gladly trade stopping twice for an hour to eat and take a break on my road trip once a year to save 7 minutes of getting gas every week the other 51 weeks.
Only thing I'm worried about is crowding at charging stations. I heard it takes 1 hour. Can you reserve a spot for a time?

"Again, no one knows for sure but it should be around $60,000 - $70,000 with max battery and auto-pilot options."

WTF. I thought Autopilot is included with $35,000. Also, $70,000 is wayyyy steeper than $35,000. Like, twice as steep. Like I can own two of these steep.

muu

Autopilot seems awesome but I can't see myself using it until it's legally level 5. Do hope having all these model 3s out there will speed up getting the automated cars out to market.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
We don't know what the range is yet. 215 is a goal. But EPA testing hasn't been done yet.
We don't know the battery pack sizes yet. There's speculation that it'll start at 60kWh, matching Chevy Bolt (which gets 215 highway, 255 city, 238 combined). Musk has also said a while back that the chassis can fit a max of 75kWh "at current battery densities", something that is also subject to change.
We don't know what options will be available to start and when more will be available. Musk has talked about color and wheels to start, and that AWD would come later, but we don't have final details yet.
We know what the car looks like, and that's really about it.
Friday evening, we'll know more. Until then it's premature to make a decision solely based on the info we have so far.

Top Bottom