• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tesla Model 3 - OT - The cheap one

mcfrank

Model 3 combines real world range, performance, safety and spaciousness into a premium sedan that only Tesla can build. Model 3 achieves 215 miles of range per charge while starting at only $35,000 before incentives. Model 3 is designed to attain the highest safety ratings in every category.

------RELEASE INFO -------​

Tesla will do a final reveal of the Model 3 and release the first 30 cars on Friday, July 28th at 9PM Pacific Time

t1501300800z4.png

Video Stream of Final Reveal

------SPECS -------​

HMG7E1Y.png

------REVEAL PHOTOS & VIDEO -------​

model3_quarter_mod2-1.png

gallery-2.jpg

Reveal Video on Vimeo

------RELEASE CANDIDATE SHOTS -------​

tesla-model-3-interior.jpg

silver-tesla-model-3-burbank-service-center.jpg

------First Impressions -------​

collection of first impressions here

“Magic, I’m telling you. Magic. And this is the single-motor, rear-wheel-drive starting point. The already boggled mind boggles further at the mention of Dual Motor and Ludicrous,” Reynolds continued. “Have I ever driven a more startling small sedan? I haven’t. At speed, it gains a laser-alertness I haven’t encountered before […] [The] 2.0-liter Alfa Romeo Giulia […] feels like a wet sponge by comparison.”

“I’ve driven all Tesla’s vehicles,” Matthew Debord of Business Insider wrote, “But the Model 3 is something else […] [it’s] going to blow many, many minds. This is easily the most attractive entry-level luxury, all-electric car on the market […] I can safely say that the Model 3 has no competition.”

“It’s not so much that Tesla is ushering in the future,” Holley argued. “After riding in the Model 3, I’m more inclined to think that Tesla is single-handedly pulling the automotive industry into the present — the way anyone born before the Internet thought 2017 would look like decades earlier.”

------FAQ -------​

When will I get my car?

At this time, the delivery estimate for new reservations is mid 2018 or later, depending on country of delivery. Once production begins, Tesla will begin deliveries in North America starting on the West Coast, moving east. By the end of the year Tesla should be making around 20,000 cars a month. Dual motor versions of the car are expected to ship later than the single motor version.

How does the tax credit work and won't it expire?

Electrek has a great page with all of the info

When can I configure my car?
No one knows for sure, but rumors point to the configurator launching after the final reveal.

How much will the car cost with all of the options?
Again, no one knows for sure but it should be around $60,000 - $70,000 with max battery and auto-pilot options.

Can I take this car on a road trip?
That's not how road-tripping works. You never charge to 100% because of how batteries charge. If you have a cell phone with any sort of fast charging technology you know this. Charging from 0-60% is always fastest, 60-90% is slower, and getting from 90% to topped off is slowest.

How does this apply to Teslas and the Supercharger network? Simple. The Superchargers are strategically placed much closer together than 0% to 100%. What you do is, start your trip at 100%. Drive until you're around 15-20%. Hit the Supercharger, and charge for about 20-30 minutes. That gets you maybe 50-60% charge. Then get back on the freeway and drive to the next Supercharger, and repeat. You'll drive about 3-4 hours each leg, and charge about 20-30 minutes. Your goal is to always be in the "sweet spot" where the battery charges the fastest.

Most people can't stand to be in a car for 12 straight hours. They want to get out and pee, stretch a little, have something to eat. If you're like this, road-tripping in a Tesla will work fine for you. You were going to stop anyways, but now you charge your car while you're doing it. If you're one of those people who literally sits in your car 12 hours and drives straight to your destination, then a Tesla will not work for your road-tripping method and you shouldn't buy one.

Should I buy one?
If you can afford it, yes!

Bildocube

Fantastic OT. I pre-ordered mine in store back the day of when pre-orders went live. I'm on the east coast (Kentucky).

Looking forward to Friday night. My wife and I definitely want to option in autopilot on ours. not sure what else.

mcfrank

Fantastic OT. I pre-ordered mine in store back the day of when pre-orders went live. I'm on the east coast (Kentucky).

Looking forward to Friday night. My wife and I definitely want to option in autopilot on ours. not sure what else.

Yeah, I am maxing autopilot options and battery options for sure. My big debate is if I will hold out for dual motors or not. Probably not.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Shame all the incentives will be dried up by the time many (most?) people get theirs.

If I could snag a base model for sub $30K after incentives/tax, I would have bought one for my mom. She will literally NEVER drive more than 200 miles in a single trip. Ever. Would have been perfect for her.

sikkinixx

Tesla screens are so fucking gaudy, Jesus. Also man the price gap is nuts no? $35-65k?! Could almost buy two low tier ones for the price of a maxed out one.

Hopefully this is the start of really pushing non-disgusting (looking at you Nissan Leaf) electric cars for the masses.

Jisgsaw

First of all, props to Tesla to apparently meet their SOP deadline.

Second of all, do we have picks from the view from the driver seat for the final model? Those shots from the prototype one seem horrible.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Pre-ordered online 90 minutes after they went live. I'm holding out for AWD and the largest battery pack size. I'm willing to wait a bit. This'll be my family's long trip car.

Ashhong

Pre-ordered online 90 minutes after they went live. I'm holding out for AWD and the largest battery pack size. I'm willing to wait a bit. This'll be my family's long trip car.

What happens to your pre-order if the car you want isn't available until later? Do you just refund it and do a new order?

Pre-ordered a few months back, definitely not in the first wave, but think I'll make it in the first year or so.

Waiting for the AWD option hopefully.

Donos

Good. That is going to put a lot of pressure on the other manufactors and drive the development further. Batteries are going to go down in price when more and more get build.

Germans slept on that shit and now they are entangled in costly Diesel manipulation shenanigans.

Build normal looking cars (like a Golf and not futuristic shit like the BMW i3) with good reach and people are going to buy more electronic cars sooner than later.

Great op, but price wise i dont think it can go up to 60-70000. The glass roof and big battery will be the most expensive option i think
However, the autopilot feature will be in ALL tesla's, even the 35000$ one

GTI Guy

Great op, but price wise i dont think it can go up to 60-70000. The glass roof and big battery will be the most expensive option i think
However, the autopilot feature will be in ALL tesla's, even the 35000$ one

It will be autopilot capable but will not be enabled at the base price.

Won't be able to afford one for a couple of years but by then it would probably be the right time to buy since the early kinks will be worked out and it will have gone through a few updates.

sfedai0

Banned
Cant wait to see a AWD with the biggest battery in this. Interior will get some getting used to but I can get use to not having a tach.

pswii60

I still don't see how 215 mile range is practical. I often do more miles than that in a day.

I suppose it's a city car really, but it's designed more like a family car with sports styling.

Hopefully the beta testers will be of good use and the v2 will be worth it. The current design just does nothing for me. Even the model S without the grill looks fucking weird to me now. :shrug:

edit: those wheels on the testers rolling around are fucking hideous btw.

KeRaSh

Can't fucking wait. Unfortunately I only put in my reservation in May 2016 so I'm a little behind compared to all the day one reservations but I'm in Europe and want AWD so I'll have to wait anyways. Hoping for a 30th birthday present in June 2018.

By the way, here's a shared Google Photos album with close to 1000 pictures/videos of the release candidates and even some final production vehicles: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Q2xNd09Wam91b29IZVJNNDFBeFYyYktpcFJPbVln

partime

I still don't see how 215 mile range is practical. I often do more miles than that in a day.

I suppose it's a city car really, but it's designed more like a family car with sports styling.

Then it's not practical, ... for you.

Hopefully this will put an end to ugly as fuck electric cars for no goddamn reason.

"We've got an amazing new electric car coming out boss"
"If it doesn't look like some fucked up insect from a dreamworks film don't even bother"

gatti-man

God that dash is hideous. I just can't get over it. Hopefully a friend buys one so I can drive it for a bit.

Disclaimer: I'm 38 this may be old man yelling at clouds idk.

sfedai0

Banned

You are in the minority. Most people definitely do not drive more than 200 miles in a day.

mcfrank

There will be bigger battery options that stretch it to close to 300 miles, but if you need to go more than that in a day and aren't willing to park at a super charger for an hour or so, then an electric care is not for you.

$60k - $70k with all options? Pre-order Cancelled.

Most cars in the 35k range can option up to that much. Pretty common.

Geist-

Maybe I'll have enough money for a down payment by next year. It would be cool to get in on that tax credit.

GTI Guy

What the heck you doing driving more than 215 miles a day?

SpecX

It's common for the average driver. What in the world do you do that requires you to drive that much in a day? Even when I commuted to San Diego, my round-trip drive didn't exceed 150 miles and that was with off course stops in between.

pswii60

What the heck you doing driving more than 215 miles a day?
I'm in sales, in the U.K.

I'll often have to drive up to Scotland, or down to London, to visit customers, or our offices. Can frequently end up doing more than 215 miles in a day, as do many of my colleagues and friends also in the profession. It's not some major rarity.

Even just driving from Manchester to Edinburgh goes over 215 miles, never mind when I have to get to Dundee and Aberdeen.

For me, this is a sexy car for people who enjoy driving, but it's actually for people who don't do much driving at all.

CFMOORE!

i am in LA and managed to get a preorder in the Century City Tesla store by around 1pm the day preorders opened. I am pretty sure I can be in one of the earliest waves after current Tesla owners, but the lack of dual motor and supposed few options at launch definitely has me possibly wanting to wait for the bigger badder options, but the incentives would be great to get at their max level. decisions!!

Top Bottom