• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI: Inkopolis In Splatoon 2 Is Drowning Out Hate With Trans-Positivity

Kangi

1. In this case, sure it is. Inkopolis seems divided between different viewpoints on the matter, and you have people expressing their opinion towards one side. Many of the posts I've seen seem clearly made to express a message on the issue.
"I'm trans and proud" is not an opinion, and it is not a stance on an issue. Simple.

2. When did I say they were? It's just not what I play for.
Some people may take value in trans-related posts, but I just want to play the game.

StayDead

Trans positivity is great! The issue is is some ignorant people cant see that and feel happy for others whose lives have no negative effects on their own and decide the obvious solution to this is to spam hateful shit. The spammers of the bad stuff are the big issue, not the trans positivity.

One day we'll reach a point where such trans positivity will not be needed and itll be inherently implied by an accepting society, but for now trans people are not accepted and positivity like this should be encouraged.

whipihguh

Banned
I think it's actually fantatic that a wave of support and pride can be expressed and wash out the initial hate. Showing inclusivity and acceptance is wonderful thing, especially considering the typical state of online game community and discourse. There are LGBT kids playing this game too, after all. There's still a lot of actual, real life places in America where being open is simply not an option.

I'm curious about all the people bothered by it. If it really is an issue, all you really need to do is wait. It'll probably go back to art posts and memes within a week or two. Making a stink about it just kinda makes you look self-centered. Let them have this time.

Fuck this dude, "if you're a transgender" "I left my gender at Best Buy is clean, I gotta give this one a fresh" "gay girls are amazing, why are sexualities and gender being splatted in this game, reported". Hate masquerading as benign indifference.

Yeah, he can say he doesn't care all he wants, but the fact that he liked a message mocking the concept and then starting whining about the most benign post imaginable makes it pretty clear that he's talking out of his ass. One wonders how many dumb "two genders" jokes he's passed by without a second thought before he got all bothered by the sudden LGBT support..

Camjo-Z

I understand that you are coming from a good place, that you probably have good intentions and that you aren't some intentionally hateful bigot. That's great!

The thing is, if this kind of talk makes you feel "uncomfortable" and you feel it's "taboo for children", I think you should have a good, hard look at yourself. Explore your feelings, and you might find that you have a subconscious bias that you didn't even know you had.

I'm telling you this because I've been there. I think this is a better way to encourage people to self reflect than to just hurl insults at them.

When did I say it made me uncomfortable or that it's taboo for children? I don't think either of those things. I desperately hope you quoted the wrong guy because the fact that I've spent this thread mostly fending off claims of being secretly transphobic when I've repeatedly stated that it's the drowning out of normal posts that I have a problem with is very depressing.

Why are you equating recognizing that different people exist to bigoted posts such as 'trans is a mental disorder' posts? It's not that much different than the moderates that keep saying 'I don't want politics in mah _____' towards the white supremacy/KKK and counterprotest shit we had to deal with last week, to be quite frank.
You're equating the necessity of political discourse between a extremist political rally and resulting counterprotest with an apolitical video game...

But to answer your question, first because is if something is completely apolitical I don't generally desire politics infused in it from any direction and second because if I hadn't people would've assumed I was solely targeting the pro-trans posts.

Estoc

I normally skip the town square(Inkopolis) and go straight into the modes I want, so I couldn't care less what people do with their doddle bubble.

However, if I was to choose between people spreading hate of any form, and people spreading positivity, even ignoring the cause of all this, I would definitely choose the latter. It's important to remember that the positivity was a response to the hate messages.

When the good guys keep quiet, it doesn't send the message that these hateful people are wrong, it reinforces their view that they are in the majority, when they already spend their time in their hateful echo chamber most of their day, it is twice as important to make sure that they are reminded that they are in the minority, that we do not welcome their disgusting views and opinions. Or do we need more tiki torches burnt before we can finally learn that we shouldn't just ignore hate?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Trans positivity is great! The issue is is some ignorant people cant see that and feel happy for others whose lives have no negative effects on their own and decide the obvious solution to this is to spam hateful shit. The spammers of the bad stuff are the big issue, not the trans positivity.

One day we'll reach a point where such trans positivity will not be needed and itll be inherently implied by an accepting society, but for now trans people are not accepted and positivity like this should be encouraged.

Yes! A lot of complaints over trans pride (and gay pride - basically anything that deviates from the 'gender binary' and their own heteronormative comfort zones) use "I just want to play my game" or "I just want to live my life without all of this" as qualifiers for their opinions. Which is funny, because that's all LGBTQ people want to do right now, too. You want the issue to go away? Help push for equality so they can live their lives just as freely and without consequence as you do. Simple as that.

and you can't see how that's not a topic for a place for six-year old's?

"Think of the children!" is a very tired excuse that has lost a lot of validity over the years as we've come to understand that children are smarter than they were given credit for by previous generations. What's the issue with them learning about what other people are? The earlier they can be exposed to these concepts in a positive fashion, the sooner some may come to understand that they, too, are LGBTQ, and save themselves years of pointless suffering.

Cepheus

Also, I'm very disappointed to see so many pseudo-4Channers coming out of the woodwork in this topic. There is nothing wrong with seeing 'the transgenders' in your video games, you bigoted assholes.

Ban Puncher

If you like a post, give it a 'Yeah!'.

If you do not like a post, report it and it will disappear from your square and in-game.

LotusHD

Banned
The earlier they can be exposed to these concepts in a positive fashion, the sooner some may come to understand that they, too, are LGBTQ, and save themselves years of pointless suffering.

Or those who aren't can hopefully learn at an early age to be accepting of those who are LGBTQ.

whipihguh

Banned

Kids are pretty accepting of the idea of gay and trans individual, even if they're initially unfamiliar with it. I mean, there are kids out there with gay or trans parents. Do you think their life is filled with bafflement and confusion?

Kids might not be educated, but they're not dumb. Being gay or being trans isn't some super-complex concept that people think it is. It took my parents about 10 seconds to tell me what gay meant, and I had no issue understanding it.

"I'm trans and proud" is not an opinion, and it is not a stance on an issue. Simple.
It certainly is when it's posted in a place filled with contentious debate surrounding that very issue my friend. But I guess we can just disagree on the matter.

And as for the second part, nowhere in that quote did I say they were stopping me from playing. Read again I suppose. I know you want to villainize me, but I don't have any issue with trans people playing Splatoon. The more the merrier. I just don't care about reading trans-related posts in Inkopolis. I also wouldn't care if someone were to discuss the current state of the economy, international relations between countries or the topic of immigration, etc.

Protome

It certainly is when it's posted in a place filled with contentious debate surrounding that very issue my friend. But I guess we can just disagree on the matter.

And as for the second part, nowhere in that quote did I say they were stopping me from playing. Read again I suppose. I know you want to villainize me, but I don't have any issue with trans people playing Splatoon. The more the merrier. I just don't care about reading trans-related posts in Inkopolis. I also wouldn't care if someone were to discuss the current state of the economy, international relations between countries or the topic of immigration, etc.

Just because there is hate speech being posted doesn't make it a debate. LGBT is not a political stance, unless you consider opposition to any kind of inequality a political stance. Comparing it to those political issues like you do is straight up insane.

Kangi

Tosh. The world is a place filled with contentious debate surrounding my very existence. This does not mean expressing pride in who I am is an "opinion" or a "stance".

You do not need me to explain to you that saying "I just want to play the game, but <x>" implies that <x> is impacting your ability to do so, and you very well know it. Else you can feel free to rephrase that, because of course it comes across that way.

9LOH1qJ.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Instead of complaining about it.

First report anything that is not art.

And then draw some art of your own.

And soon it'll be a beautiful gallery of black and white doodles.

watershed

Banned
At this point I'm not seeing the anti-trans messages anymore but plenty of supportive ones. I think the report feature must work and Nintendo was probably aware of what was happening.

Just because there is hate speech being posted doesn't make it a debate. LGBT is not a political stance, unless you consider opposition to any kind of inequality a political stance. Comparing it to those political issues like you do is straight up insane.
I consider any issue that is being politicized as related to politics.

Unless you guys just plug your ears any time a societal or LGBT-related question is asked of a politician. It's pretty inane to suggest the two exist devoid of each other.

But you're right, it's not really a debate. It's more people just shouting their view of things.

Cepheus

Unless you guys just plug your ears any time a societal or LGBT-related question is asked of a politician. It's pretty inane to suggest the two exist devoid of each other.

But you're right, it's not really a debate. It's more people just shouting their view of things.

Saying you respect trans people is 'shouting your view of things', and is the same as what the bigots are posting? What?

HeatBoost

I wonder how Nintendo of America reacts whenever NoJ sends them a feature outline for a game that includes a social feature that allows a bit of expression in a game

Whenever you have an open forum to post stuff, you're inviting shitlords to be shitty, and for some reason the density just seems thicker on this side of the ocean.

I'm kinda surprised they allow as much freedom as they do, considering how some games handle things. The Souls series still uses that pre-fab message system.

It's no more a debate than it was when people were advocating for the humanity of black people during the Civil Rights era.

oti

Banned
Love it. Always walk through the plaza before I enter the lobby and seeing this was great. Usually it's nonsense like "take a selfie with me" or furry art. Finally the tool was used to bring some good into the world.

Painguy

Instead of complaining about it.

First report anything that is not art.

And then draw some art of your own.

And soon it'll be a beautiful gallery of black and white doodles.

Does reporting things hurt the posters though? I dont want people to get banned or punished just because I'm trying to escape from reality when I play video games. I actually do want to report all non art or meme posts cuz I just wanna see pretty pictures lol, but I don't wanna screw people over cuz they tryin go against hate ya know what I mean?

----EDIT----- More info on why I say what I say.
My issue is that I unfortunately immediately think of all the bad joo joo that's been happening when I see these kinda posts. My train of thought kinda goes like this:
1. See trans related post (postive or hateful)
2. Think of trans ban
3. Think of general hate thats been going around
4. Think "Hate has risen cuz of GOP n shit"
5. GOP = Trump
6. I get bad vibes

This is the reason i dont wanna see these kinda posts. I admit its just me being very overtly anxious, but that's something that's out of my control for a number of reasons which I don't expect other posts to know, but thats more reason not to arbitrarily throw labels like "bigot" around when someone doesn't like what you like.

I hope this explanation gives some posters in here some insight as to why I or others don't wanna see these kinds of posts, and would rather prefer the pretty pictures that were being drawn by various artists a while ago.

These topics are just stressful cuz they can remind you of a lot of negative stuff. It doesn't automatically make you a bigot, sexist, racists or w/e. Jumping to those kinds of conclusions just because someone doesn't like something you like is pretty hateful imo.

---EDIT 2---

Also for those taking issue with the "children argument" let me put it this way. If I were a dad, and had a 6year old child, I dont wan't my kid asking me about gender yet. They are 6. I shouldn't have to have a sex talk with them yet. They can be w/e gender they want to be, but at the age of 6 its not something I want to have a talk about yet, and it's not something they should have to even think about. If they are 10 or 11 sure. If they come asking me what trans mean then I'll gladly explain everything, and tell them they can be w/e they want to be and love whoever they want to love. I'll tell em the whole shebang, but again...at the age of 6 or so they should just enjoy playing games, learning basic math, playing with friends etc.

I am not saying that because of this others should not be allowed to post this stuff. Anyone can post anything as long as Nintendo is chill with it. All I'm saying is that this is the reason why some bring up kids as an argument, and it is certainly a valid reason not to like these posts in splatoon. Let me be clear, it is not a reason to censor these posts (There is no reason to censor these pro trans posts), but it is a valid reason as to why they don't like the posts. It doesn't mean they are a bigot.

D.Lo

I think the way Switch handles regions he only has to change his country settings on the console but probably everything will be in japanese.
No, Splatoon has a specifically Japanese region version.

Games can be played across regions, we still get Japanese players in Australia.

00ich

NO FOR FUCKS SAKE IT DOESNT MATTER HOW OLD THEY ARE, TRANS PEOPLE EXIST

what the hell is your problem

Puberty and starts at around eight to nine years. There's special hormone therapy to delay puberty for about ten year olds so they can delayand try out which gender they want to ago adopt when others start becoming teenagers.
It's literally childrens topic and you can't assume consent with the parents to talk about it with children anyway.

You're equating the necessity of political discourse between a extremist political rally and resulting counterprotest with an apolitical video game...

But to answer your question, first because is if something is completely apolitical I don't generally desire politics infused in it from any direction and second because if I hadn't people would've assumed I was solely targeting the pro-trans posts.

You equating it to being both sides being the same is exactly the problem.

It's not both sides. Never has, never will.

Being trans and being proud of it being reduced to 'its just politics' is just a convenient reductionism.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Does reporting things hurt the posters though? I dont want people to get banned or punished just because I'm trying to escape from reality when I play video games. I actually do want to report all non art or meme posts cuz I just wanna see pretty pictures lol, but I don't wanna screw people over cuz they tryin go against hate ya know what I mean?

No idea, but that's the risk they took when they posted their 1-bit memes.

00ich

Kids are pretty accepting of the idea of gay and trans individual, even if they're initially unfamiliar with it. I mean, there are kids out there with gay or trans parents. Do you think their life is filled with bafflement and confusion?

Kids might not be educated, but they're not dumb. Being gay or being trans isn't some super-complex concept that people think it is. It took my parents about 10 seconds to tell me what gay meant, and I had no issue understanding it.

You certainly wouldn't want to learn the opinion of an anti-gay Christian activist about your parents.
Which still would be a valid christian opinion (afaik?) and if Nintendo allows expressing the one they invite the other, meaning putting children in the midst of a culture clash with no positive side because they don't act on sexual stereotypes yet anyway.

Saying you respect trans people is 'shouting your view of things', and is the same as what the bigots are posting? What?
Yes to the first. People in Inkopolis are shouting their viewpoints. Would you prefer the word posting? Or saying? Because regardless of the verb, it's still their POV on the topic.

And it's the same in how it's being posted, sure. The content and message is obviously different.

You do not need me to explain to you that saying "I just want to play the game, but <x>" implies that <x> is impacting your ability to do so, and you very well know it. Else you can feel free to rephrase that, because of course it comes across that way.
If you go back to my post you'll see "but I just want to play the game" was in reference to me getting anything out of the trans posts, which I don't, like I've said, not being somehow prohibited to still play the game because of them.

It's impacting my ability to get anything extra from the messages, not impacting my ability to play the game. Read again.

It's no more a debate than it was when people were advocating for the humanity of black people during the Civil Rights era.
Well, not when it comes to Splatoon, because again... what's happening in Inkopolis isn't really a debate. But in general I agree.

Puberty and starts at around eight to nine years. There's special hormone therapy to delay puberty for about ten year olds so they can delayand try out which gender they want to ago adopt when others start becoming teenagers.
It's literally childrens topic and you can't assume consent with the parents to talk about it with children anyway.

This is the kind of logic people use to argue that being gay or trans should be a crime. Exposure to pro-trans rhetoric does not harm children.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Still I think splatoon is the last place people wanna see these discussions at. I get that the hate speech should be removed but inkopolis has derailed so much it's a problem.

Wrong. The only "problem" is hate speech.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with making Inkopolis what players want it to be. That's the entire point.

GokouD

When did I say it made me uncomfortable or that it's taboo for children? I don't think either of those things. I desperately hope you quoted the wrong guy because the fact that I've spent this thread mostly fending off claims of being secretly transphobic when I've repeatedly stated that it's the drowning out of normal posts that I have a problem with is very depressing.

Seriously dude, just....walk away from the keyboard and stop. You're only digging yourself deeper.

Rmagnus

Banned
Yes to the first. People in Inkopolis are shouting their viewpoints. Would you prefer the word posting? Or saying? Because regardless of the verb, it's still their POV on the topic.

And it's the same in how it's being posted, sure. The content and message is obviously different.

If you go back to my post you'll see "but I just want to play the game" was in reference to me getting anything out of the trans posts, which I don't, like I've said, not being somehow prohibited to still play the game because of them.

It's impacting my ability to get anything extra from the messages, not impacting my ability to play the game. Read again.

Well, not when it comes to Splatoon, because again... what's happening in Inkopolis isn't really a debate. But in general I agree.

I don't get you at all? What is deemed normal post in splatoon? Funny pics etc? If you want to see those why not you make something and post and if it's fresh enough it will catch on. Don't blame others if what you post is not fresh enough

Top Bottom