• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Trup1aya

My dream halo game:

Destiny style co-op/pve campaign - we play as SIVs

Regular campaign - we play (mostly) as chief. It's not squad based, but friends can join. They'll take the appearance of their SIV, but won't be in the cutscenes or anything (ala CE)

PvP with a true utility weapon. New unique weapons to spice up the sandbox, some of which can be used to enhance mobility. No AAs or SAs (except maybe thrust)

Dev made BTB, magnum starts

Revamped Warzone.

Make vehicle physics great again.

Less RNG more merit based and CR based unlocks

LAN based esports scene, with pro points instead of weird (unfair) ESL dictated qualifications and gamebattles style online ladders built into the game

He is a troll, don't bother engaging him.

I don't think he's a troll, I just think he really hates 343i's Halo.

The aiming is better, of course 60 fps is better than 30

I haven't been able to check it out but I'll see how it feels during the Open Beta. Although I'm not a fan of Destiny, the first did have some really satisfying gunplay. I couldn't find a comfortable sensitivity setting, though.

My dream halo game:

Dev made BTB, magnum starts

Revamped Warzone.

Less RNG more merit based and CR based unlocks

How do you think 343i should go about doing all of this? BTB and Warzone are naturally at ends because unless you want both modes or Arena undercooked, it'll have to be one or another. Also, if there's less RNG, how do you think 343i should realistically monetize the game?

Trup1aya

How do you think 343i should go about doing all of this? BTB and Warzone are naturally at ends because unless you want both modes or Arena undercooked, it'll have to be one or another. Also, if there's less RNG, how do you think 343i should realistically monetize the game?

I don't see how BTB and Warzone are "naturally at ends". Do I really think 343 could handle doing all of these mode properly with 3yrs of dev time... perhaps not. But if they aren't starting from scratch, then the idea seems more plausible.

I think it's certainly possible to monetize with less RNG.

I'd make certain items achievable only through accolades (like achieving a Champ rank in Season 1). Others would be achievable by directly spending RP/$ or RNG. I'd let seasonal rankings act as a modifier for odds. There would be promotional packs, like the HCS packs. And others would be cash only (like the announcer voice pack).

I don't see how BTB and Warzone are "naturally at ends". Do I really think 343 could handle doing all of these mode properly with 3yrs of dev time... perhaps not. But if they aren't starting from scratch, then the idea seems more plausible.

Well they only have so much time, money, and staff to work with for multiplayer. Maybe now that they have a core gameplay formula that enough players seem to be satisfied with, they can put less money towards R&D and more towards maps. But three Warzone, three Warzone Assault, and eight Arena maps are a lot to design and test, and they weren't able to fully deliver on that without using "remixes" to get away with saving money by reducing assets. If this is the standard going forward, it's going to be hard to fit BTB in at launch. Personally, I'd like to see them outsource the task to someone like Certain Affinity to get three BTB maps at either launch or a couple months in, but that still requires the money. And given that, BTB Forge maps look like a pretty good compromise in 343i's eyes, so there's now even less incentive to make proper BTB.

Finding out how they're handling Halo 6 multiplayer is what I'm most anticipating at the moment.

Fuchsdh

Well they only have so much time, money, and staff to work with for multiplayer. Maybe now that they have a core gameplay formula that enough players seem to be satisfied with, they can put less money towards R&D and more towards maps. But three Warzone, three Warzone Assault, and eight Arena maps are a lot to design and test, and they weren't able to fully deliver on that without using "remixes" to get away with saving money by reducing assets. If this is the standard going forward, it's going to be hard to fit BTB in at launch. Personally, I'd like to see them outsource the task to someone like Certain Affinity to get three BTB maps at either launch or a couple months in, but that still requires the money. And given that, BTB Forge maps look like a pretty good compromise in 343i's eyes, so there's now even less incentive to make proper BTB.

Step to making good BTB maps:

1) Outsource to Certain Affinity.
2) Get the maps back and delete all their weapon placements off the map, because you know there's going to be 4x as many power weapons as their should.
3) Ship it.

Trup1aya

It just seems to me that we are arbitrarily determining how much time, money, and staff they have as well as how much of those things it would take to accomplish things.

We know nothing about their pipeline, what efficiencies they've built since releasing H5, etc. perhaps you are right and such a robust title isn't outside of the realm of 343s capabilities/intentions - That doesn't stop it from being an ideal Halo game in my eyes...

Edit: they def need to go back to outsourcing map development- and a set of mechanics that's doesn't turn making decent maps into a Herculean feat

Cranster

Banned
So now you can be a troll if you publically anounce your distaste of a company that ruined your favorite gaming franchise
������
If you do nothing but shitpost and publicly post that you hope the series fails without offering any sort of constructive feedback, you are a troll. You are not saying anything that hasn't been said before and it is a tiresome at this point and it is simply shitposting.

Detective

I wanna make my own Spartan, progress, upgrade, loot , and make my own story, fight , travel, explore. Aka Destiny , Division style.

Hope 343 will make something like that.

Traditional MP and SP while great it's meh.

E92 M3

Is he a troll for not liking Halo 5? We're not all supposed to hold hands and praise Halo 5.

Dissenting opinions exist.

It'd be one thing if he had any constructive to say, but all of his posts are of little substance. He makes driveby insults that create no avenues for discussion, so yes he is a troll. I don't know why he puts so much time and energy to say the same thing at nauseum. If you hate something so much move the fuck on.

Karl2177

Is he a troll for not liking Halo 5? We're not all supposed to hold hands and praise Halo 5.

Dissenting opinions exist.
Dissenting opinions exist, but no one is going to take you seriously if it's drive by shit posting versus actual criticism.

Fuck 343 first and foremost

Halo will never recover under them, microsoft will realize this after Halo 6 releases

That post doesn't help anyone; lurkers, developers, and posters all fail to receive new information from it. There isn't even a vague hint of an actual grievance from any game. I can drop a "fuck the boltshot" and you can actually gather information that an item in the game is annoying to me. Fuck the company is a shot at people and does nothing.

E92 M3

It'd be one thing if he had any constructive to say, but all of his posts are of little substance. He makes driveby insults that create no avenues for discussion, so yes he is a troll. I don't know why he puts so much time and energy to say the same thing at nauseum. If you hate something so much move the fuck on.

Most people are simply tired of offering suggestive feedback to only be ignored consistently. And some passionate Halo fans lash out. 343 has to work on making Halo a loved franchise again.

Halo 6 will make or break the series, in my opinion.

Dissenting opinions exist, but no one is going to take you seriously if it's drive by shit posting versus actual criticism.

That post doesn't help anyone; lurkers, developers, and posters all fail to receive new information from it. There isn't even a vague hint of an actual grievance from any game. I can drop a "fuck the boltshot" and you can actually gather information that an item in the game is annoying to me. Fuck the company is a shot at people and does nothing.

Passion can manifest itself in many different ways. What we say here has very little impact on the final product. Just look at how long it took them to take out the stupid autos from HCS and change the radar.

Most people are simply tired of offering suggestive feedback to only be ignored consistently.
Then quit posting if you don't have anything constructive to say.

I don't like 343i's art style, I don't like having my weapon down and I repeatedly say that. I won't take "passion" as an excuse for continually bad posts.

And while we're on the subject fuck that fooshcadoosh guy, he needs to be brought down a peg.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I don't like 343i's art style, I don't like having my weapon down and I repeatedly say that. I won't take "passion" as an excuse for continually bad posts.

And while we're on the subject fuck that fooshcadoosh guy, he needs to be brought down a peg.

Good post.

Fuchsdh

I kind of do, too, at least from the Campaign standpoint. Since Prometheans are huge bullet sponges, it was nice to have a a weapon that could one shot Crawlers and do heavier damage to Knights.

I also appreciated that the Boltshot was one of the few weapons that seemed to hew to the style of weaponry we saw in Origins, as well as have a power that belied its size. Made it feel more powerful.

Now, it should have been an on-map pickup like it is in Halo 5, but I don't think there was anything wrong with its 1HK ability, especially since unlike the regular shotgun you had to charge it and it made a loud alert noise (which also was part of the fun of using it to waste fools.)

Was funny that after they nerfed it all the bad kids started treating it as useless, but it was still fairly lethal in the turbo days (and people in MCC have apparently forgotten all the lessons from then, haha.)

jem0208

Pretty sure we've discussed this before but the issue with the Boltshot was that it was a loadout weapon. Make it an on map pickup and it would actually be really good IMO. It's a shame the H5 Boltshot is so boring.

I also appreciated that the Boltshot was one of the few weapons that seemed to hew to the style of weaponry we saw in Origins, as well as have a power that belied its size. Made it feel more powerful.

Now, it should have been an on-map pickup like it is in Halo 5, but I don't think there was anything wrong with its 1HK ability, especially since unlike the regular shotgun you had to charge it and it made a loud alert noise (which also was part of the fun of using it to waste fools.)

Was funny that after they nerfed it all the bad kids started treating it as useless, but it was still fairly lethal in the turbo days (and people in MCC have apparently forgotten all the lessons from then, haha.)

Yeah I was very confused by the design change in Halo 5, it felt unnecessary once equal starts returned. Maybe it was to make Crawlers a more challenging enemy? Those tracking shots are a bitch so it definitely did the trick.

wwm0nkey

Pretty sure we've discussed this before but the issue with the Boltshot was that it was a loadout weapon. Make it an on map pickup and it would actually be really good IMO. It's a shame the H5 Boltshot is so boring.

Yeah it was a good weapon, it just had no right being a starting weapon in Halo 4....man thinking about Reach and 4's loadouts....thank god they went away from that, it was so bad.

The one thing everyone I know always forgets about though is that Halo 4 had killstreaks, those sucked so hard, more so than loadouts

jem0208

Yeah I was very confused by the design change in Halo 5, it felt unnecessary once equal starts returned. Maybe it was to make Crawlers a more challenging enemy? Those tracking shots are a bitch so it definitely did the trick.

I'm 95% sure it's because they saw tons of people complaining about the Boltshot itself rather than the fact that it was starting weapon so they kneejerk changed it.

The light rifle is in a fairly good place, it's distinguishable from the BR and DMR. The suppressor and boltshot could be altered, they're not terrible, I like using them when someone has their back turned as their tracking has a good chance of being better than my aiming in a particular moment.

Fuchsdh

I think their goal was to make Forerunner weapons overall more viable in PvE and distinguish them more in multiplayer. So the homing helps reduce some of the bullet-sponginess of enemies (as they auto home on weak spots) as well as making them feel more distinct by default from the human and Covenant weapons.

I personally don't really mind the tracking bursts, but I don't think it had to come at the expense of the blast alt mode (especially since the other Forerunner weapons kept their alt modes.) Likely the blast got cut because of balancing specifically for Warzone. In large areas where you can call in shotguns, bolt shots aren't versatile enough to be a REQ 4+ weapon but making them lower and 1HK would make the early game wacky. As is, it seems like some power weapons come in too early, which is why I've always thought there should be 10 REQ levels and rebalance the curve.

E92 M3

I think everyone can post as long as it's not blatant trolling. You're also free to ignore the posts you don't like. The last thing we want is to create an echo chamber.

HaloGAF is already relatively small. I'd wager most people here would not want to see Halo fall into irrelevancy.

finowns

Got on MCC to try and get a H2 game. Ended up doing a custom, jumping around Lockout by myself. It was bittersweet *sniffle*

JlNX

I think everyone can post as long as it's not blatant trolling. You're also free to ignore the posts you don't like. The last thing we want is to create an echo chamber.

HaloGAF is already relatively small. I'd wager most people here would not want to see Halo fall into irrelevancy.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Go through all five of those threads and tell me if the couple of handfuls of shit posters were removed, would it look anything remotely like a echo chamber?

Your implying that if these shit posts (repeated posts of no value) were gone that the amount of 343 fans would somehow dominate the conversation? Do you read the same Neogaf I do? It wouldn't create a echo chamber it would cause a Halo thread that for once wouldn't get derailed and would actually be informative and good discussion, as Frank has said these post are of no value (Hyperbolic) to the team in terms of feedback. So if you really cared about the future of Halo you would make a post worth the discussion, that anyone from the 343 team could read because we know they do (multiple very critical halo videos have been passed along to their respective departments.)

343: Oh how does the bullet magnetism feel on the AR?
Neogaf user 1: It feels like shit, it the worst of any Halo.
Neogaf user 2: I think it feels amazing, far better than Bungie Halo.
Both useless

As much as I don't like seeing those kinds of posts on here, I don't think we should be hostile towards posters like that and attempt to ostracize them from the community, but instead encourage them to detail their opinions more. Negative feedback is just as useful as positive feedback since these opinions often reflect how certain pockets of the larger Halo fanbase feel toward 343i's games. If they don't expand on their opinions more and still "shitpost," then we can always just not engage them until they say something of actual value.

As much as I don't like seeing those kinds of posts on here, I don't think we should be hostile towards posters like that and attempt to ostracize them from the community, but instead encourage them to detail their opinions more. Negative feedback is just as useful as positive feedback since these opinions often reflect how certain pockets of the larger Halo fanbase feel toward 343i's games. If they don't expand on their opinions more and still "shitpost," then we can always just not engage them until they say something of actual value.

That's all well and good, but we've called out Zeus on this plenty of times.

That's all well and good, but we've called out Zeus on this plenty of times.
I hadn't noticed him until only recently, so I don't really know how much he frequents the forum with that kind of attitude. Hope he becomes more constructive, I'm always interested in hearing people's perspective on Halo.

I think their goal was to make Forerunner weapons overall more viable in PvE and distinguish them more in multiplayer. So the homing helps reduce some of the bullet-sponginess of enemies (as they auto home on weak spots) as well as making them feel more distinct by default from the human and Covenant weapons.

I personally don't really mind the tracking bursts, but I don't think it had to come at the expense of the blast alt mode (especially since the other Forerunner weapons kept their alt modes.) Likely the blast got cut because of balancing specifically for Warzone. In large areas where you can call in shotguns, bolt shots aren't versatile enough to be a REQ 4+ weapon but making them lower and 1HK would make the early game wacky. As is, it seems like some power weapons come in too early, which is why I've always thought there should be 10 REQ levels and rebalance the curve.

I always forget about the REQs, I'm not a huge fan of Warzone so I mostly ignore the feature. But yeah, for fans of it I can see why changing up the Boltshot could make it more versatile for variants and not end up being another shotgun clone.

While I wouldn't say the current Boltshot is that interesting of an addition to the Sandbox, it does fill its own niche, however it is a shallow one. Overall I think it circles back to Prometheans not being that engaging of an enemy in how they were designed, since other than the tracking shots, their whole sandbox is designed around high DPS. Hell, even Sentinals were a bit more interesting since they were weaker to plasma and had energy based beam weaponry. I'd love to see a Halo game where they are exapanded on more as a class of enemy, I think there's a lot of creative potential in Forerunner defense technology.

ITT people are still trying to reason with Zeus and E92. I'd rather play Halo 3 SWAT with Magnum starts on Sandtrap and Bubble Shields replacing every pickup.

ITT people are still trying to reason with Zeus and E92. I'd rather play Halo 3 SWAT with Magnum starts on Sandtrap and Bubble Shields replacing every pickup.

That's some ether right there.

I understand the frustration when one of your favorite franchises is relegated by bad design. I feel like 343i won't even engage in the sprint discussion as they just direct people towards Halo 1-3. That being said, saying "I hate 343, 343 sucks, etc" over and over again as it accomplishes jack all. Even if it's like talking to a wall, I'd rather repeatedly make valid sprint criticisms even if it's not addressed rather than petty insults.

Trup1aya

I still miss the OG bolt shot...

Og boltshot was fine.

Og boltshot as a loadout coupled with radar or possibly promethean vision was a travesty.

Og boltshot would have been a good power weapon in h5 and It would have been more suitable for comp play than the mindless shotgun and inconsistent scattershot.
(OG charged shots + semi-auto shots that bounce and track like the scattershot would have been a good evolution)

New boltshot is just a slower BR, with tracking to compensate for the reduced range. Its boring and adds nothing to the sandbox.

In general i want 343 to get out of the habit of making promethean weapons slight variations of existing weapons. Apparently there is so gdc talk where they said they tried more unique weapons but testers ignored them... fuck those focus testers man. They are dumb.

Promethean Vision could return as a Power-Up and 343 needs to go over-the-top with Promethean Weapons instead of making them similar to weapons that already exist. Tap more into Forerunner tools and weapons used for clearing Flood. I'm thinking something similar to how Dead Space's weapons are just mining tools and such; this'd be cooler and more unique than what we have now imo.

Top Bottom