• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Bomberman R patched to 1.3: 60fps, story mode camera changes, lag improved, etc

Eliseo

We can complain and call out a game if it's broken and unplayable, if the online sucks. But if the developer fixes all those problems I think price should not matter, who decides if a game it's worth 20 bucks intead of 50. It reminds me how some people were calling out splatoon and now ARMS, that those games didn't look complete and should be 20 bucks or free along with a blowjob from Reggie.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I tried Battle Mode with "Weak" CPU difficulty and it's still brutally difficult. CPU players were actually walking over/through bombs.

Neiteio

The AI was atrociously difficult. My fiancé and I couldn't have a good time doing a 4-player match with 2 bots, due to the fact that they'd destroy us each time. I believe they made the original AI, which didn't have any difficulty options, into the new "Hard" option. Normal and Weak are both newer, easier, difficulty options than what we had.
Ah, I see. Yeah, the new "Normal" difficulty seems pretty much perfect, IMO. It's decently challenging and a fair bit unpredictable, but it seems manageable. The sweet spot!

Rodin

What are you talking about? I'm on Amazon's page right now and it's available. Also, Best Buy, Toys R Us, Gamestop, and Target all have plenty of stock online and in stores locally.

Amazon.it. It's the only place where i could find it here in Italy and they only had one left.

Not that the issue is limited to Italy from what i'm hearing though.

We can complain and call out a game if it's broken and unplayable, if the online sucks. But if the developer fixes all those problems I think price should not matter, who decides if a game it's worth 20 bucks intead of 50. It reminds me how some people were calling out splatoon and now ARMS, that those games didn't look complete and should be 20 bucks or free along with a blowjob from Reggie.

tenor.gif

I thought the game was worth the $38ish I paid at launch with GCU even though it was kinda pushing it. But now with these improvements I'd say the price is totally fine. It's kinda insane how different the controls are now than they were at launch.

Yawnny

The lag was HORRENDOUS. Like, absymal levels of "how could they even think to ship it this way" bad.

Offline and LAN was generally fine but I abandoned any pretense of playing it online.

Oh my that sounds terrible.

I don't think that's quite how the value proposition works.

You wouldn't think, but based on the comments it sounds like this input lag fix is attractive enough to make people buy the game.

You wouldn't think, but based on the comments it sounds like this input lag fix is attractive enough to make people buy the game.
I guess you could interpret it that way, but I suspect it's a lot more likely that the comments are "I am interested in bomberman but ignored it because I heard it was broke/30FPS/whatever, but now the problems are fixed so my interest is revitalised" :3

The worst thing about the online IMO is how hard it is to link up with friends to play against other people online. Had to call my friends so we could try entering at the same time otherwise we couldn't join up together. And sometimes it would take multiple attempts. Feels so damn ghetto after playing online with any other modern gaming console.

Poppyseed

So yep, multiplayer is now 60fps, with a nice smearing of vaseline across the screen.

Nobody seemed to mention that, so thanks for letting me spend $50 on a vaseline-fest.

It's still fun, of course..

So yep, multiplayer is now 60fps, with a nice smearing of vaseline across the screen.

Nobody seemed to mention that, so thanks for letting me spend $50 on a vaseline-fest.

The OP literally says that the visuals look worse:

The call went on for a while so I opened a 4p game with bots to see what changed. IT WAS RUNNING AT A HIGHER FRAMERATE. But, as a downside the game does look worse (they definitely took an axe to the polygons).

Poppyseed

The OP literally says that the visuals look worse:

The call went on for a while so I opened a 4p game with bots to see what changed. IT WAS RUNNING AT A HIGHER FRAMERATE. But, as a downside the game does look worse (they definitely took an axe to the polygons).[/QUOTE

The resolution is worse. The polygons don't seem changed at first glance. The key is it looks to be sub-native, or the textures have been smeared over.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The resolution is worse. The polygons don't seem changed at first glance. The key is it looks to be sub-native, or the textures have been smeared over.

It's a resolution drop, but that's a small price to pay for 60fps in a Bomberman game. It should have never been less in the first place.

Yawnny

I guess you could interpret it that way, but I suspect it's a lot more likely that the comments are "I am interested in bomberman but ignored it because I heard it was broke/30FPS/whatever, but now the problems are fixed so my interest is revitalised" :3

Here's how I feel your statement still falls under value proposition doing it's thing:

"I am interested in bomberman but ignored it because I heard it was broke/30FPS/whatever, but now with this new value proposition the problems are fixed so my interest is revitalized".

Not that anyone would ever say that, just driving the example home.

Apparently I feel overly semantic today.. :S

Mega

Banned
The lag was so bad that people are now willing to pay $50 because it's improved?

Since launch they fixed the input lag, framerate and the camera. And they're adding new content for free.

I didn't pay $50. It was $40 with GCU which is okay by me.

Wouldn't filtering require more processing power? I took an initial screenshot in Story mode before updating and compared it to an identical post-update shot. The main difference I see is that after looks a little more jagged... and that could be the Switch's lossy snapshot feature to blame.

Wouldn't filtering require more processing power? I took an initial screenshot in Story mode before updating and compared it to an identical post-update shot. The main difference I see is that after looks a little more jagged... and that could be the Switch's lossy snapshot feature to blame.
Filtering would require more processing, but reducing the resolution wouldn't and would also make it a lil more blurry if it was scaled up afterwards :3

Chumley

Banned
$50 is still such an absurd price for this thing, but from my understanding Nintendo never drops their prices on anything, right?

It's a resolution drop, but that's a small price to pay for 60fps in a Bomberman game. It should have never been less in the first place.
All the Saturn, TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine, SNES and NES Bomberman games run at 60, so to say that 60 FPS in a Bomberman game is some kind of anomaly is far from true.

Scoops

Banned
They should've just waited to launch the game in a better state. Would've gotten much better reviews that way.

This isn't a "1.3" patch as it is more of a "2.0" patch.

Busaiku

They should've just waited to launch the game in a better state. Would've gotten much better reviews that way.

This isn't a "1.3" patch as it is more of a "2.0" patch.
It would've been extremely dumb to miss launch day.
The only reason to miss out on that would be if the game was completely unplayable.
If it launched at this point, a week removed from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, it would've done a fraction of what it did, even if it had everything from the getgo.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

This is exactly how I am thinking

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
They had to drop the resolution to get 60 fps in a Bomberman game
It looks like it, there's now a softness I didn't see before. But it's still more pleasing than pre patch as it's more fluid and plays better. I wish colors could pop more, but that's an art style preference.

For the first time I spent 1 hour playing it online in one sitting last night. It ran perfectly and made me want to unlock new stages.

Top Bottom