• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi |OT| It's Time For Silly OT Titles...TO END...

Kimawolf

giphy.gif

Release date: December 15, 2017 (USA)
Director: Rian Johnson
Screenplay: Rian Johnson
Music composed by: John Williams
Producers: Kathleen Kennedy, Lawrence Kasdan, Ram Bergman, Simon Kinberg
Running Time: 2hr. 32 Min

new-awake-trailer-for-star-wars-the-last-jedi-aa.gif

Starring:

pjimage_8.jpg

Daisy Ridley - Rey
Mark Hamill- Luke Skywalker
Carrie Fisher- Leia Organa
John Boyega- Finn
Adam Driver- Kylo Ren
Oscar Isaac- Poe Dameron
Kelly Marie Tran- Rose Tico
Gwendolin Christie- Captain Phasma

starwars-star-wars-finn-59dd03d9521a157bc94564ec-g.gif

Synopsis:
Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares to do battle with the First Order.

Reviews:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/star-wars-the-last-jedi-2017 4 stars
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/12/entertainment/star-wars-the-last-jedi-review/index.html
Star Wars: The Last Jedi' falls short of sky-high hopes
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/12/movies/star-wars-the-last-jedi-review.html
‘Star Wars: The Last Jedi’ Embraces the Magic and Mystery.

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/star-wars-the-last-jedi-review-rian-johnson-1202635597/
As the fate of the Jedi religion hangs in the balance, one begins to detect a certain unwillingness to stray too far from the official text in the latest 'Star Wars' sequel.

Unfortunately NeoGAF was where I got the big twist of TFA spoiled, I fear in its current state it's where I'll get TLG spoiled as well.

JordanN

Banned
Unfortunately NeoGAF was where I got the big twist of TFA spoiled, I fear in its current state it's where I'll get TLG spoiled as well.

I don't get the deal behind spoilers.

If a movie's great, it means it will stay great. If it sucks, you were never going to enjoy it regardless of spoiled plot.

I remember even reading bits and pieces of TFA before actually watching it, but I was still surprised because you don't actually know when the event will actually happen unless you sit through the entire film.

On topic: I always promised myself to go see an actual Star Wars film in theaters, but with so much work in my life, I'm going to pass and just watch it on blu-ray. Hopefully, I'll have my life sorted out and go see Star Wars IX in person.

After seeing Mark Hamill say he didnt agree with what they do with Luke im really worried.

Going to see this Saturday

Hyped but cautious

Nodnol

Going Saturday morning. It’s a genuine emotional roller coaster from now until the credits roll. It’s Star Wars man.

Have had one minor thing spoiled for me, but nothing big plot wise. Trying to keep it that way for once.

Fbh

I don't get the deal behind spoilers.

If a movie's great, it means it will stay great. If it sucks, you were never going to enjoy it regardless of spoiled plot.

I remember even reading bits and pieces of TFA before actually watching it, but I was still surprised because you don't actually know when the event will actually happen unless you sit through the entire film.

Sure a good movie won't turn bad because of spoilers . But seeing the big revelations and events in real time while watching the movie makes for a more enjoyable experience.

I wasn't a big fan of TFA but maybe I would have enjoyed it more if 2 of the biggest events hadn't been spoiled by some asshole here

Poor review from the Irish Times, but seems like an outlier? https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...review-boring-bloated-and-confusing-1.3324286

Have used up my free articles so haven't been able to read text of article.

Since it has universal acclaim on Metacritic with 49 reviews in, i would say yes. But pretty much every movie has a few negative reviews. It has ten 10/10 reviews and they are not from small time magazines and outlets.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-wars-episode-viii---the-last-jedi?ref=hp

Yeah, I enjoy reading outliers anyway though. I just always go to the Guardian and Irish Times first and was surprised to see IT so down on it.

LA Times and NY Times have very positive writeups.

I am a bit anxious of the length. Then again I loved Bladerunner 2049.

Drake

So I read a few different plot spoilers and the same stuff seems to be coming up over and over which leads me to believe it's true. I'm not hopeful for this movie despite the 93% critic approval. I have a feeling I know why that number is as high as it is.

Let us know your spoiler free impression! I would like more on the soundtrack as I thought TFA was lacking but apparently it was rushed?

Well the movie did not drag for me anyway.

The soundtrack is better but it sounds just like the OT this time around is my impression.

Some unexpected things happen

Now i am wondering what will happen in episode 9...

Well the movie did not drag for me anyway.

The soundtrack is better but it sounds just like the OT this time around is my impression.

Some unexpected things happen

Now i am wondering what will happen in episode 9...

I will probably be the same,I like a longer movie that draws out.

Are you in Poland by the way? (Username)

Syriel

Let us know your spoiler free impression! I would like more on the soundtrack as I thought TFA was lacking but apparently it was rushed?

Spoiler free review:

Ultimately, "The Last Jedi" is the best Star Wars film to hit theaters over the past few years. It avoids the mistakes of "The Force Awakens" and has better character development than "Rogue One." While there is a nod to "The Empire Strikes Back" within the film, "The Last Jedi" is most certainly not a retelling of that classic story. This is a film that moves the universe forward in a believable way, while clearly standing on its own two feet.

Full text at link: http://worthplaying.com/article/2017/12/13/reviews/106465/

So I read a few different plot spoilers and the same stuff seems to be coming up over and over which leads me to believe it's true. I'm not hopeful for this movie despite the 93% critic approval. I have a feeling I know why that number is as high as it is.

PM if you want to know if what you've heard is true or not.

I just saw some Luke webms....im seriously disappointed.

I need to see the whole movie but fuck me...thats character assassination.

mrkgoo

I think the movie is quite clever in the detail, has spectacular action set pieces, looks amazing in parts, but the style of humour and the nature of how the twists and unexpected turn of events unfold possibly make it less rewatchable.

I guess time will tell.

Newk86

Just saw it. Surprised that I did. I found The Force Awakens to be a very terrible movie (gave it a one out of four) and have never seen Rogue One.

I will say that this one addressed a lot of what I hated about TFA, and pretty early too. There were some cool characters and a lot of surprises, enjoyed it quite a bit actually. Not sure what I would rate it, possibly three out of four but I can't be sure if that's just my super low expectations talking.

If you want some semi-spoilers about what I thought was addressed:

Nerd character was called out on losing to Rey who had never used a lightsaber before, plus on being such a sad Vader fanboy.

Rey being so powerful was semi-addressed and possibly toned down slightly

Almost a complete lack of the heavy-handed fate/destiny nonsense from TFA

Cool new aliens and creatures

A bit of actual on-screen lightsaber violence, plus some explosions that I have to admit were pretty cool

Overall pretty good.

Thriller

I just saw it and I loved it to death. Certain things are new and force you (pun intended) to believe in the power and abilities of the Force. I went in with an open mind and had my hands in my hair a few times because I was so invested in what I was seeing. Glad I saw it on day one.

PS

PORGS

graffix13

I am a huge SW nerd and I hated this movie.

Sorry, it was garbage. Pains me to say that too.

Leia flying is space like Mary Poppins?!?
Luke being totally out of character? Yoda looking like a cartoon? I could go on but I am sick already.

I just saw it, mixed feeling but this is a completely new direction for the series, I believe the return of JJ for the last chapter it's a wise choice

as highlights

- Rey, best jedi since obi wan of the first trilogy, even better characterized now
- many Plot twist and unexpected scenes
- PORGS
- Marvelous photography and epic moments

as major downside

- Disney Influence is strong in this movie.. TOO F****ing strong. I need a "dark tone Star Wars " but it will never happen
- Some epic moments are toned down due to the Disney Influence

- a couple of scenes which are completely out of contest One with Leia One with Snoke. Really cringing moments as much as Jar Jar Bings moments...

at the end of the day, 2nd half of the movie is SSJ Level 4 tier, first half it's Kulilin tier...

I just saw it, mixed feeling but this is a completely new direction for the series, I believe the return of JJ for the last chapter it's a wise choice

as highlights

- Rey, best jedi since obi wan of the first trilogy, even better characterized now
- many Plot twist and unexpected scenes
- PORGS
- Marvelous photography and epic moments

as major downside

- Disney Influence is strong in this movie.. TOO F****ing strong. I need a "dark tone Star Wars " but it will never happen
- Some epic moments are toned down due to the Disney Influence

- a couple of scenes which are completely out of contest One with Leia One with Snoke. Really cringing moments as much as Jar Jar Bings moments...

at the end of the day, 2nd half of the movie is SSJ Level 4 tier, first half it's Kulilin tier...

Oh boy reading some reviews I thought this wasn't going to be the case. Oh well...

Chuckie

This is the worst Star Wars movie in the history of the franchise. I’m not sure why it’s being reviewed so positive.

Because it is far from the worst Star Wars movie in the history of the franchise and most people, both critics and public recognise that.

bratpack

I am a huge SW nerd and I hated this movie.

Sorry, it was garbage. Pains me to say that too.

Leia flying is space like Mary Poppins?!?
Luke being totally out of character? Yoda looking like a cartoon? I could go on but I am sick already.

waaa can you PM me about the story details im not to pushed about star wars hard to find real spoilers online atm

Matt_09

I really enjoyed the film but don't feel like I can give an accurate response until I see it again.

So much happens that it is hard to take it all in and process it straight away.
Non-spoiler points:

Kylo is amazing and his arc is handled very well.
Rey is equally as interesting and engaging.
Rey and Luke's relationship is definitely not what we would have expected, but it felt right to me. The saga needed a big shift and the film achieves this.
Porgs - I am totally indifferent to them - they provided a some humour but nothing else.
Snoke - great and I like how they dealt with the character - I wonder if Johnson's new trilogy will focus on his origins.

A lot of new stylistic elements have been added to the series and I think some of them could be quite jarring. For starters - flashbacks!

The camera in this was more expressive than any other film in the series and was essential in developing characters (Kylo in particular).

Narratively, the film rips up some of the Star Wars rules and Johnson allows the story to dictate these stylistic elements, rather than forcing a story in to a rigid structure.

Overall - There is too much to take in on one midnight viewing. The characters are developed significantly, and in a believable and engaging way. There is a lot of humour in the film (which I enjoyed) but there are one or two jokes that did not land or could (IMO) have been removed (Luke's shoulder flick & 'topless Kylo joke).

The film will definitely split opinion and many Star Wars fans may hate some of the directions Johnson has taken, but other (like me) will see this as a shift change that was needed. A film that was too similar to Empire or that did not take risks would have been a safer, but ultimately more disappointing film.

I love it. I'm confused and I need to see it again, soon.

Nodnol

This is the worst Star Wars movie in the history of the franchise. I’m not sure why it’s being reviewed so positive.

Why?

It’s reviewing extremely well all over the place, and a lot of the more underground/nerd/fan reviewers are praising it too.

Half of what I’ve read on some negative reviews and hyperbolic sentences such as yours stem from the film failing to meet an individuals head canon. So why exactly is it your “worst” Star Wars film? Bland cinematography? Poorly acted?

Literally every review says it’s well acted, quintessential Star Wars, bold and fresh, and yet the humor can be hit and miss and the middle has some pacing issues.

Chuckie

Literally every review says it’s well acted, quintessential Star Wars, bold and fresh, and yet the humor can be hit and miss and the middle has some pacing issues.

Yeah the humor bothered me at some moments. Also there was one scene I really really could live without.

For me the reviews really are spot on.

Garani

there was one scene I really really could live without.

Which one?
snoke dead with his tongue out, like Jabba the Hut or Superman Leia? Or was it the ironing machine, but that was funny

The humor in general was maybe a bit too forced, and
yoda
was a bit of a joke but who knows:
being a force ghost may change your perspective :D

Ah, the kiss on the battlefield was a bit gratuitous.
but Luke’s kiss to his sister was pure poetry, IMHO

Harlock

Really middle level to disappointment.

Things really bad:
- That sidequest to get the decipher. If they don't go, there is not the guy showing the clocking ships and everyone could scape. The end.
- The entire movie chasing the rebel ships because the imperial ships are slower. Pathetic weak plot.
- Snoke, super powerful, killed by pressing a button in the light saber. Again, pathetic.
- No giving fucking about Snoke or Rey origins.
- No big Luke moment, being badass. Just a projection that cost your life. Pathetic

Garani

This what I was worried about, but no matter how bad its story or characters are, I think it'll be worth watching for the special effects.
The movie is good. It isn’t Oscar winning, but is really well executed. It is worth the ticket price and moves the story forward: it is not a rehash like TFA was (that was a real joke)

Garani

Superman Leia
Yeah, that really bothered me too. I have the privilege of knowing the director of dubbing and adaptation for the movie in my country. After the movie I called him to thank him for the well done job and he admitted that he too was bothered by that scene.

You know, the scene is in cannon: a force user can do that. It just felt too sudden.

Garani

Oh, yes, guess who was useless once again (and this makes it 2 in a row, people):
your dear Captain Phasma
. I am starting to believe it is a comic relief character by now.
maybe this time we got rid of her once and got good.

Tevious

I just came back from the theater. I liked some things, disliked other things, but ultimately left kind of disappointed. I liked the characters, but didn't care for most of the story. This movie is also just littered with little campy moments. If I didn't know otherwise, I'd think Sam Raimi directed it. The part with the boy in the end was such a fucking Disney moment that it left a bad taste in my mouth as I left the theater. I'm kind of annoyed with the missed opportunities, disappointing character revelations, and questions that will probably continue to be left unexplained in the next movie. I'll write up some more of my specific thoughts on the film later when we have a spoiler thread.

BTW, did everyone else get title cards when every main character entered on screen detailing who they were? That was really fucking annoying and out of place, but maybe it was just a localization thing since they did here and some other countries.

What a disappointment, I like Rian Johnson but this film didn't do it for me. Overly long, too much boring filler, unsatisfactory character revelations and situations, it all seems like a waste to me (of course box office numbers will be huge).

With all the talent working on these new films from cast to directors, there is something off about them, I don't know if it's the story, the pacing, the choices being made. For Lucas to say Disney wanted to make these films for the fans and not his stories, I don't feel it that much, I'm sure a fair few number of fans would of liked a scene or two of the OT trilogy heroes together. Even Lando...it's like he never existed at all, not even mentioned in a bit of dialogue.

Finding it all a bit frustrating as there some excellent new casting with the likes of Driver and Isaac, some stunning cinematography at times. I don't know, certainly not feeling the critics consensus that these new films are amazing.

Top Bottom