• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Edition (JP) |OT| The World is not enough

pronk420

Thinking of getting a pro-controller for this, are the ABXY buttons on the pro 'clicky' like the joy con buttons, or more like PS4 buttons?

Title screen -> Options -> middle option

Thanks so much, it was getting really annoying. I just discovered there is also what looks like a LOT of downloadable hunts in the download menu, I assumed there wouldn't be anything there yet.

Also, is anyone else noticing they suddenly stop running sometimes? Any reason behind it is bad: I don't want it to be my new pro controller acting up, and I don't want it to be the game.

I've had the problem where they joycon signal is blocked if you cover too much of it with your hand, first game where I have noticed it. I hope this isn't the same problem, I didn't think the pro-controller did this too.

Cartho

Thinking of getting a pro-controller for this, are the ABXY buttons on the pro 'clicky' like the joy con buttons, or more like PS4 buttons?

They're more like PS4 buttons. It's hand's down the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Right up there overall with the Xbox One Elite as being my favourite pad ever made. Only the lack of analogue triggers lets it down from being GOAT in my opinion, and even then, that doesn't matter as the games aren't designed to use analogue triggers anyway. It's a truly first class gamepad.

Thanks so much, it was getting really annoying. I just discovered there is also what looks like a LOT of downloadable hunts in the download menu, I assumed there wouldn't be anything there yet.

I've had the problem where they joycon signal is blocked if you cover too much of it with your hand, first game where I have noticed it. I hope this isn't the same problem, I didn't think the pro-controller did this too.
This could be what's happening, yeah. I guess sometimes I do tilt my controller down and that messes with the signal. I'll experiment.

Someone join my room right now :p

55 4394 7799 3842.

Just rushing keys. Everyone left on the urgents. Rip.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I definitely feel that the R button on they pro controller isn't as responsive as it should be. Maybe it's because my hands are quite big and I have to press it with the middle-ish part of my finger, but I definitely have to pay attention when running around or I'll sometimes stop dashing. Other than that, the pro controller feels great. No more hand cramps!

Kyoufu

I definitely feel that the R button on they pro controller isn't as responsive as it should be. Maybe it's because my hands are quite big and I have to press it with the middle-ish part of my finger, but I definitely have to pay attention when running around or I'll sometimes stop dashing. Other than that, the pro controller feels great. No more hand cramps!

I actually feel that way about my L button. Sometimes when I press it the camera doesn't lock on to the monster. Never had that problem on 3DS/Wii U.

Lizardus

Always a delight to see Akantor drifting around.

OGXKgnB.jpg

blackflag

Anyone know what I need to do to get the urgent to go from 2-3 star village?

I did all the key quests and the captain guy had a red chat icon so I talked to him but then urgent never appeared and I don't see anyone else to talk to.

I assume it's the same as generations but that was so long ago I don't remember.

PKrockin

I did all the key quests and the captain guy had a red chat icon so I talked to him but then urgent never appeared and I don't see anyone else to talk to.

I assume it's the same as generations but that was so long ago I don't remember.
I could be wrong but I think all you need to do is go to the cat area. Maybe you need to talk to the Meowstress or the trading cat or something. I'd try that, and perhaps going to the hunter hub area and talking to people there, though I doubt that's it.

I tried to buy this game yesterday, it seem like the whole world was inspiring against me.

I just saw this thread. The game came out already? I didn't hear any fanfare over its release; be it the Switch or 3DS.

Also, looking at the pictures, I'm surprised the Switch version has assets made for the game. I was expecting the 240p image upscaled a bit, with a giant boarder around the screen like the GBA Phoenix Wright ports to the Wii.

pronk420

I'm not sure if I'm just imagining this but I think in 4 there was this whole mechanic of Gore Magala being able to 'infect' other monsters with purple, so that you would get Gore Magala versions of the other monsters. Is that in XX as well? Or is it not even a thing and I've just made it up?

PKrockin

I'm not sure if I'm just imagining this but I think in 4 there was this whole mechanic of Gore Magala being able to 'infect' other monsters with purple, so that you would get Gore Magala versions of the other monsters. Is that in XX as well? Or is it not even a thing and I've just made it up?
Yes, there was the Frenzy mechanic which made monsters faster and deal more damage as well as infecting you with the virus, forcing you to attack the monster to beat the virus for a crit boost, or else be be overcome by the virus for a number of bad effects.

Gore Magala still does that in this game, but instead of Frenzy monsters there are Hyper monsters. Certain parts of a Hyper monster glow, and when they use those body parts to attack they do extra damage. But your hunter arts recharge quickly if you hit those glowing parts.

Dingens

did this sell through it's initial shipment?
just tried to order a copy from Amazon Japan and they didn't have any. New stock won't arrive until next week -_-

depward

I'm having issues with some of the key quests popping... Doing the requests as I know that was a need for 4 or 5 star urgent.

Kinsei

Banned

If I'm remembering correctly you need to meet the chief of each village before the urgent will pop. Go talk to them all and see if that makes it show up.

PKrockin

Guys I've just purchased the game. Where can I find any guide to start ? I know a little Japanese. Btw game is amazing!
The game is mostly the same as Generations, so any sources you find for that game should be accurate. ProJared's beginner's guide to Monster Hunter is still a good place to start despite being made for 3U. Here's a few quick tips:

• The order of importance is don't get hit and then hit it until it dies. Getting hit sucks in MH. You get sent in long tumbling animations, you get blighted, you get stunned, you lose a lot of health, you go into long tumbling animations. Don't over-commit. Trading blows with a monster gets you killed.
  • Sharpness, indicated by the colored knife at the top left of the UI and the colored bar on the weapon info screen, is very important. Use a whetstone to restore it if it drops. Get to green sharpness ASAP. If your weapon bounces off a monster while it's at yellow sharpness, the damage is greatly reduced.
  • Always eat before a hunt.
  • Grab the items from the blue supply box before leaving camp. Items with the yellow text at the bottom of their description are supply items that will be returned to the guild at the end of the quest, so it's use them or lose them.
  • Hit the monster with a Paintball to track them. Do the Wave gesture at any hot air balloon you see around and they'll show you where the large monsters are for a few seconds, once a quest.
  • To progress through the story you need to complete all of the key quests in your current rank, which will unlock the urgent quest. Completing the urgent will rank you up. Unfortunately the games never tell you which quests are key. Usually they are quests to hunt a single large monster, but I recommend Googling the list.
  • Village quest progression is separate from Hunter's Hub (also called Guild) progression. Monsters in Hunter's Hub quests will have more HP and you can do them solo or multiplayer.
Any news for localizing it for the west or at least have a english language option.
Nope. MHXX 3DS has a partial English fan translation if you have homebrew/CFW(?) though.

If I'm remembering correctly you need to meet the chief of each village before the urgent will pop. Go talk to them all and see if that makes it show up.
Oh yeah, this is it I'm pretty sure.

Netto-kun

Finally out of high rank gears and over to G rank (should probably ditch Evasion+1 or Artillery Novice)...I don't recommend soloing G rank Dinovald/Glavenus if you still haven't memorized its attack patterns.

PKrockin

I've been to hell, and it's a full room with me as SnS, two DBs, and a LS. It's like we're reenacting Smash Bros. Brawl.
Just go adept and start with the X+A jump in attack, then once your super armor wears off at the end of the X button attack chain just dodge or hit back+A for a free tripsword/dual trip-activated adept dodge.

True hell is lance or gunlance with any of those weapons.

Alternatively, get revenge by using the level 3 Round Force art.

Hybris

So I've been having an annoying issue with inputting hunter arts as I'm getting up from a knock down. Using the ZL + face button moves don't work properly. Example, holding ZL and spamming b while recovering from a knockdown executes a roll instead of the hunter art I wanted (absolute evasion usually). It's caused me to cart more times than I'm comfortable admitting... Thinking of swapping to the ZL/ZR/R+A+B art control scheme to get around this in most situations.

Progress note. I'm around 70 hours in and HR7. Soloing through the hypers at the moment so I can get more weapons upgraded. Brave LS is so damn fun. Picked up Dual Blades as my new weapon this time and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Starting to feel very proficient with it. Actually I killed 6* Hall hyper zamtrios solo in 5:53 which is way faster than most of my other hyper hunts so far. With a sub par set (WE, Razor Sharp, AuM) and not the best fire duals, that's pretty impressive!

So I've been having an annoying issue with inputting hunter arts as I'm getting up from a knock down. Using the ZL + face button moves don't work properly. Example, holding ZL and spamming b while recovering from a knockdown executes a roll instead of the hunter art I wanted (absolute evasion usually). It's caused me to cart more times than I'm comfortable admitting... Thinking of swapping to the ZL/ZR/R+A+B art control scheme to get around this in most situations.

Progress note. I'm around 70 hours in and HR7. Soloing through the hypers at the moment so I can get more weapons upgraded. Brave LS is so damn fun. Picked up Dual Blades as my new weapon this time and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Starting to feel very proficient with it. Actually I killed 6* Hall hyper zamtrios solo in 5:53 which is way faster than most of my other hyper hunts so far. With a sub par set (WE, Razor Sharp, AuM) and not the best fire duals, that's pretty impressive!

I also use the ZL + face buttons for my arts and I've been having the same problem. It's really annoying because sometimes I have Absolute Readiness set to ZL + X so when holding it down and pressing X, I'll get an attack out instead of the art. It's either a cart, or a stun...then a cart :/

Dude that's some solid time against a hyper! What DB's are you using?

Hybris

I also use the ZL + face buttons for my arts and I've been having the same problem. It's really annoying because sometimes I have Absolute Readiness set to ZL + X so when holding it down and pressing X, I'll get an attack out instead of the art. It's either a cart, or a stun...then a cart :/

Dude that's some solid time against a hyper! What DB's are you using?

I used the glavenus duals, the upgrade level just before hyper materials. I haven't gotten around to making the agnaktor one's which I hear people raving about.

Edit: Also using

Thn - Kirin DBs
Wat - Ludroth DBs
Ice - None atm, Any recommendations?

I used the glavenus duals, the upgrade level just before hyper materials. I haven't gotten around to making the agnaktor one's which I hear people raving about.

Edit: Also using

Thn - Kirin DBs
Wat - Ludroth DBs
Ice - None atm, Any recommendations?

I'd definitely recommend the Barioth DB's. Really solid since they have good raw, element, affinity, and sharpness.
Snowbaron Lagombi's are also good, but are a pain in the ass to upgrade.
And then there's the Blast and Ice ones. Raw is decent, the combo of Ice and Blast is nice and sharpness is great. Farming Teostra and Kushala ain't fun though lol.

Hybris

I'd definitely recommend the Barioth DB's. Really solid since they have good raw, element, affinity, and sharpness.
Snowbaron Lagombi's are also good, but are a pain in the ass to upgrade.
And then there's the Blast and Ice ones. Raw is decent, the combo of Ice and Blast is nice and sharpness is great. Farming Teostra and Kushala ain't fun though lol.

Lucky for me I'm good with a hammer! Barioth sounds good, wanted to practice brave hammer against him anyway.

Lucky for me I'm good with a hammer! Barioth sounds good, wanted to practice brave hammer against him anyway.

I've seen some brave hammer speedruns, and it looks sick! Good luck.

Forgot I left off at Urgent 7* Nakarkos. This may take a while, but I think I can manage it solo with adept Swtch Axe. *gulp*

Edit: Beat it 20 minutes and 45 seconds. He got rekt!

Hybris

I've seen some brave hammer speedruns, and it looks sick! Good luck.

Forgot I left off at Urgent 7* Nakarkos. This may take a while, but I think I can manage it solo with adept Swtch Axe. *gulp*

Edit: Beat it 20 minutes and 45 seconds. He got rekt!
Jeez that's a lot faster than I think it's going to take me. Not sure what weapons I'll bring to him, but I it will probably be a bit before I go there anyway. I want to make a decent mixed set with silversol to tackle grank. But need to do 200 hunts before I can unlock him. Also found out I need to relevel my deviants to do them in G-rank. Damn...

Juraash

Should have my Switch back tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to diving back in and getting some hunts in. Hopefully I can blast through at least LR before the end of this weekend. Catching up to my Gen character isn't quite as bad as I feared it would be, but I'm antsy to see G again.

Kanhir

I wish you could vote a person out of your multiplayer session. Got paired with three guys, two of which were great and we had a great dynamic going. The third just went gathering in other areas for 75% of the battle, then got carted and went on a long stroll before coming back to us.

Once it's over you can keep kicking them so they can't carve properly, but you can't actually kick them out, so they still get the rewards. Annoying.

I wish you could vote a person out of your multiplayer session. Got paired with three guys, two of which were great and we had a great dynamic going. The third just went gathering in other areas for 75% of the battle, then got carted and went on a long stroll before coming back to us.

Once it's over you can keep kicking them so they can't carve properly, but you can't actually kick them out, so they still get the rewards. Annoying.

You can expulse when you're in the hall between quests though but yeah, not during quests...

Dingens

Finally got a chance to order a copy and It should arrive before the end of september! Can't wait to dive back into the series after having skipped generations.
Maybe I should try a new weapon class. So far I've been mainly a Switch Axe/Charge Blade/Great Sword Player. Maybe I should try out hammer? or long sword? or sword and shield? too many options

membran

Has anybody here successfully transferred their 3DS Generations save to MHXX Switch? Starting from an "untouched" 3DS, that is. Seeing how I haven't touched my 3DS in a year or so it should have an old enough firmware so that "CFWing" it shouldn't be a problem. I still haven't touched the game on Switch, just had it sit there for like 10 days now while I'm contemplating whether or not I want to go through all the hassle of reading lots of probably contradicting guides, visiting dubious websites and risk bricking the 3DS in the process (just perfectly timed with the new Metroid release). I really, really don't want to start over on Switch, I think. Not with a three-digit-savegame on 3DS's generation and the prospect of continuing that on Switch.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
When I played XX on the 3DS I stopped playing after reaching G2.
Yesterday, with two friends we finally finished the G4 urgent and I was able to unlock my hunter rank, instantly jumping to 67.
Loving the G rank Diablos set with added Quick Sheath through a charm and skill gems.

Only thing I feel I should do now, aside from maybe upgrading the armor past the limit is finding a charm with Quick Sheath or Handicraft with a high value +3 slots, so that I can have both of those skills active. The great sword made from the last boss is great (3 slots, 310 base attack, +60 def!), but it really lacks sharpness.

Jeez that's a lot faster than I think it's going to take me. Not sure what weapons I'll bring to him, but I it will probably be a bit before I go there anyway. I want to make a decent mixed set with silversol to tackle grank. But need to do 200 hunts before I can unlock him. Also found out I need to relevel my deviants to do them in G-rank. Damn...

If you use them Dino DB's or Agnaktor ones you were going to get, then I think you'd beat it in a much faster time than me.

I need to make one or a couple of G-rank weapons, just so I can breeze through hyper monster and upgrade my main weapons. And maybe get a new armor that's not High rank Malfestio.

nubbe

Got XX now and Stories releases tomorrow... What to do?
Will probably spend more time with Stories initially since I played Gen for hundreds of hours...

Going to make my first female character in XX, becuase it's the japanese version and then you need to go full ERO

Lizardus

When I played XX on the 3DS I stopped playing after reaching G2.
Yesterday, with two friends we finally finished the G4 urgent and I was able to unlock my hunter rank, instantly jumping to 67.

Loving the G rank Diablos set with added Quick Sheath through a charm and skill gems.

Only thing I feel I should do now, aside from maybe upgrading the armor past the limit is finding a charm with Quick Sheath or Handicraft with a high value +3 slots, so that I can have both of those skills active. The great sword made from the last boss is great (3 slots, 310 base attack, +60 def!), but it really lacks sharpness.

Look into the Black X armour, the one you get from mining the giant sword in Pokke. It's perfect for a GS. Atal Ka GS also gets 20 hits of purple (330 Raw, 60 DEF, 3 slots) without any Handicraft skills at it's final upgrade which can be maintained indefinitely with Absolute Readiness, even without Razor Sharp. If you can fit Critical Boost with a charm, 3 slots of the weapon and 2 slots on the armour, it would be THE GS set.

This killing blow thing is new? Don't remember it from Gen

OWFoIYOl.jpg

Yeah they added it in XX. It's pretty cool since Switch can snap pics.

Also thank god for subquests. I need tails from Agnaktor and the village one is a capture quest which is lame, but the subquest is to slay 5 Uroktor. Cut the tail, slay the little guys, call it a day!

Doombear

Yeah they added it in XX. It's pretty cool since Switch can snap pics.

Also thank god for subquests. I need tails from Agnaktor and the village one is a capture quest which is lame, but the subquest is to slay 5 Uroktor. Cut the tail, slay the little guys, call it a day!

Its been there for some time though, just hidden behind the rewards screen I believe. New/Returning is the option to hide the UI to be able to see it.

So... how DO you take screenshots on the Switch in MHXX. I thought they disallowed it.

Its been there for some time though, just hidden behind the rewards screen I believe. New/Returning is the option to hide the UI to be able to see it.

So... how DO you take screenshots on the Switch in MHXX. I thought they disallowed it.
It's the circle-in-a-box button on the left.

Top Bottom