• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler & Albert Penello on the Xbox One (Interview)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chobel

Do you? Looks competitive last time I checked, not like you look at Ryse and Forza and say, whoa! PS4 games of the same genre are in a different league. In fact I don't get that at all.

He meant graphics. Did you see Infamous:Second Son?

Guess what, social media can be wrong?? He just hasn't updated his page in a long time.

Neither have I.

It really doesn't matter what his official title is, when he's on GAF doing damage control or giving media interviews, that is public relations. And those acts are part of an overreaching marketing strategy. Trying to split hairs on this point is stupid.

a 420hp gtrs with slick tires and suspension will probably lap faster than a zr1 on stock tires/suspension. the same can happen if you try and strip the porsche of its unnecessary weight.
in this way of thinking, a lightweight gtrs with 420hp can lap faster not only from a zr1, but from a bigturbo porsche 911t with mods for extra power, but without mods for sticking to the road.

his point is tweaking stuff and the improvement you get from there. so its not all that wrong.

It's obvious what he was trying to imply, but the technical details don't support the impression he's trying to create. He's just spreading FUD.

Marleyman

Banned
Oh they exist I'm sure, they're just a lot tougher to see because they're in the middle of the wave of good sentiment towards Sony. They're not really any sort of "dissenting voice to the majority opinion" if you will.

I always wondered that; people are easily identified as shills for MS around here yet Sony seems to get off the hook when it comes to that.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Since MS has supposed shills in every corner of the industry; who are the ones that are identified as shills for Sony?

Dont you know? Sony doesn't need shills. They are so good and friendly and caring about gamers that we naturally gravitate towards them like an infant to the tit of its mother.

see5harp

Yep, I checked his comments here, He doesn't work in marketing.

It's not that I disagree with people here saying he wants people to get excited about his new product (that's obvious...no employee wants their product or service to fail), I just didn't think his title or position had anything to do with all of the great information and posts he's made on this board. If he truly wanted to just market or promote his product at GAF, he could easily just hire some lackey to that for him like every other company does with their twitter and customer service accounts.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It doesn't really see to me that I learned anything from this interview that I didn't know before, it seems very neutered and PRish. Games industry gonna games industry, I guess.

sangreal

again, what does:

mean?

What I've said repeatedly: That he didn't update the field in linked in marking the end of that position. Despite that, he wrote the summary of his duties for that position in the past tense because it is not his current position. His current position is the one he started in 2009 -- Senior Director of Product Planning -- the title he uses in every interview as well as here on GAF. You seem to be accusing him of lying about this while at the same time suggesting that his linkedin page -- written by him -- is gospel.

He already went through all of this right here on GAF:
Just to address a couple qualification questions, since there is confusion. My profiles are pretty public, so it would be hard for me to come and lie about who I am or what I do.

As stated, I run Product Planning. My group reports into Marc Whitten, on the engineering side. You can see that was updated in 2009. PRIOR to that, I was in Product Marketing. In my entire time at Xbox (I started a year before we launched V1) I’ve worked really closely with the Hardware teams – regardless of which group I’ve reported into.

Neither of those groups are PR, for what it matters. Marketing is not the same thing as Public Relations.

I have done lots of interviews in the past (not too hard to find me) and at no point have I worked in PR. As I’ve also stated – I’m doing this on my own time. I have only commented on topics around interviews I have done, or occasionally where someone has asked a clarifying question around something we have announced. For reasons that are obvious, I can’t disclose a lot of things. I have tried to clarify around things we’ve announced when I can.

I didn’t feel like that was doing “PR” but some here feel that way. I was never intending to get into the debate – only to clarify the intent behind some of the statements made in the interview.

Anyway, I poked in to clarify a bit what I meant in the article, hopefully it clarified for some.

It really doesn't matter what his official title is, when he's on GAF doing damage control or giving media interviews, that is public relations. And those acts are part of an overreaching marketing strategy. Trying to split hairs on this point is stupid.

It's obvious what he was trying to imply, but the technical details don't support the impression he's trying to create. He's just spreading FUD.

Albert GAF's Join Date:

I guess this is very long term strategy eh? Why can't you guys just realize A.) He does work for MSFT, B.) He has a good position where he can post things without going through PR first (said so himself) and C.) Actually puts up with stuff like this.

Is he trying explain some honestly confusing words out of MSFT. Yep. Does that make it evil or some corporate plan, not necessarily at all. He probably just likes what he does.

QaaQer

It's not that I disagree with people here saying he wants people to get excited about his new product (that's obvious...no employee wants their product or service to fail), I just didn't think his title or position had anything to do with all of the great information and posts he's made on this board. If he truly wanted to just market or promote his product at GAF, he could easily just hire some lackey to that for him like every other company does with their twitter and customer service accounts.

who says he hasn't? I'm not picking on AP, but it is a common practise, and a wise one at that if the person isn't experienced in PR or doesn't have the time. AP is experienced, and he probably has the time as I'm sure that marketing x1 is the #1 priority right now, so it probably is him posting here.

Anyway, I have to leave, so hope every enjoys the rest of their day. It's going to be 30+ and sunny here. :)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Didn't Sony show off actual PS4s running games at Gamescom?

It's already been mentioned but I've heard from 2 devs at least a few months back who noted there was working PS4 dev kits in the final chassis at the office. I mentioned it at the time and we had a thread sometime last week where I corroborated another gaffer who brought it up. I can't agree with the wit Albert brings in that interview. Not wholly.

watership

I must have missed the sticky, I apologize.

It's an implied sticky. MS screwed up, and wasn't a loved company in gaming circles, especially lately. So it's easy to understand why passionate people raged. They deserved the negative attention. Many people have moved on from that, but judge every thread that has MS news to see how many also, have not.

*"(Sony's) doing things in their hardware to make it best that they can. We're doing things to our hardware to make it the best that we can. I don't believe the difference between these systems will be as significant as comparing individual components. How is it that a 400 HP Porsche can be faster than a 700 HP Corvette?" -- Overall it's balance and trade offs and it'll come down to the games.

wtf.gif

jockstrap74

Neo Member
What I've said repeatedly: That he didn't update the field in linked in marking the end of that position. Despite that, he wrote the summary of his duties for that position in the past tense because it is not his current position. His current position is the one he started in 2009 -- Senior Director of Product Planning -- the title he uses in every interview as well as here on GAF. You seem to be accusing him of lying about this while at the same time suggesting that his linkedin page -- written by him -- is gospel.

He already went through all of this right here on GAF:

Hate to break it to you but doing interviews is carrying out PR, much like what Sony does with Cerny, its all PR & building product perception.
Like I say its no bad thing, just need to be kept in perceptive. Albert seemed to increase his activity around the Cboat leaks to dispel the negativity building on the brand. Any company would do it.

Chobel

So those PS4 units you can see at the demo kiosks were just dummies then.

Some of them (Sony booth) were test kits. test kits are special units that have the same specs of retail units (PS4) and can run unsigned code (game not gold).
Others were dummies.

sangreal

Hate to break it to you but doing interviews is carrying out PR, much like what Sony does with Cerny, its all PR building product perception

You don't seem to have any idea what we're arguing. Untalkative_Bunny claims AP is Director of Marketing. I'm pointing out that he is wrong. I couldn't care less about who is doing PR. It's mere coincidence that he discusses what constitutes PR in what I quoted. There is nothing to "break to me" on that front.

USC-fan

Banned
Albert GAF's Join Date:

I guess this is very long term strategy eh? Why can't you guys just realize A.) He does work for MSFT, B.) He has a good position where he can post things without going through PR first (said so himself) and C.) Actually puts up with stuff like this.

Is he trying explain some honestly confusing words out of MSFT. Yep. Does that make it evil or some corporate plan, not necessarily at all. He probably just likes what he does.

What does his join date have to do with anything? No one knew he was a member until he started actually posting recently, mostly to try and alter certain perceptions about the Xbox One. It doesn't matter whether or not his statements "go through PR", posting here, now is still a function of PR. And if you don't think reaching out to hardcore gamers in an effort to mend fences isn't part of a larger image rehabilitation strategy surrounding Xbox One that's a product of your naivety. No one said it was evil, but it's obviously a part of the "corporate plan", and it's also clear that his statements are going to be self serving, in the sense that he is promoting Xbox. I'm not saying that's wrong, or even that he should stop, but people shouldn't act like his word is gospel or that his presence is some kind of favor.

It also has an air of truth to it. He has consistently cited PS+ (and now the camera) in the price of PS4 in order to compare it with the Xbox one, meanwhile not citing XBL in the comparison. He claimed that Sony was withholding information about their no drm policy while in the same breath defending the Xbox one DRM. He feigns ignorance about Hardware specs, while in an earlier video expressing concern over the way PS4 allocates its ram. Among other things that you should know if you do watch his videos on a consistent basis.

The guy is completely disingenuous, and anyone who has watched his videos can pick out the points where his bias lays.

Yup. I said it many times but he really showed his bias during E3 coverage and how he went on and on about PS4 having DRM.

Bad analogy is bad.
Anyone with common sense knows the PS4 is stronger. Albert is tying his best to spin it but ultimately fails.

Also LMAO at 9.25. No just no. Discs are not going to disappear altogether anytime soon and they haven't in other media like movies and music. Furthermore anyone else find it hilarious how he tries to say what the XB1 was doing is similar to steam. Are you kidding me right now? How stupid do they think we are?

Also LMAO at 9.25. No just no. Discs are not going to disappear altogether anytime soon and they haven't in other media like movies and music. Furthermore anyone else find it hilarious how he tries to say what the XB1 was doing is similar to steam. Are you kidding me right now? How stupid do they think we are?

Your fault for taking things so literally that you cannot see his point. Digital is in the process of overtaking physical across all media as the majority of sales and distribution if it hasn't already done that in many specific media types.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Holy shit! how did I miss this? From Albert Penello not any other person. So He's spreading FUD now and and playing it safe by adding

This is low, really low.

I already noted why I don't agree with that he's saying on the whole. I'm not going to get into whether or not he's PR. He works for MSFT. That's all there is to it.

Hopefully Sony snatches him up soon. Put some tape over his mouth.

Sony isn't really looking for attention like MSFT is right now. They hardly have anything to damage control. That one interview linked a few posts back has some red flags to say the least.

NHale

I bet he was teh "source" of that IGN guy twitter that backfired on him.

The way sony does retail kit can only run retail code. MS spinning this because they allow there xbone retail to run dev code.

Really is a non story since sony been showing test unit in retail size box running games.

Of course it was. But the best part was the end where he tried to imply that if the roles were reversed the outcry would be a lot bigger.

Poor Microsoft always picked on by press and gamers. Like it happened with RROD where the press never dared to reported it for 1 year or the FIFA hacks that get swept under the rug everytime a press guy gets hacked but his account recovered in record time (unlike us the tier 2 Microsoft customers). Why doesn't anyone think about the poor little Microsoft. I'm tired of this kind of injustice in this World.

todd44890

Banned
I know im in the minority, but i like what MS has done lately. Unfortunately, gamers hold grudges and hate MS. But for me, im excited for xbox one and i preordered the day 1 edition today at Wal-Mart.

C-DubSP

Neo Member
I wouldn't go out on limb to say Sessler is shilling for MS, but there clearly hasn't been equal time given Sony or Nintendo for that matter in terms of previews and interviews. Maybe the access to Sony and Nintendo reps doesn't come as easy to Rev 3, who knows, but I believe Sessler is a fair guy, and will try to keep things as balanced as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom