• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Merkel(Germany), Mogherini(EU), Macron(France), Moon(SK) oppose Trump's UN Speech

Oersted

And Rohani too

Iranian President Hassan Rohani said Wednesday that U.S. President Donald Trump's harsh criticism of Tehran at the UN General Assembly was "ignorant, absurd and hateful rhetoric."

Rohani noted that the Iranian nuclear deal was struck between multiple partners and served as a model for future engagement, adding that Iran has never cheated or deceived the international community. He said nuclear weapons had no place in Iran's security.

He assured the United Nations that Iran would not be the first country to violate the deal, but Iran would respond accordingly if others did not comply with the agreement. "It will be a great pity if this deal is destroyed by rogue newcomers to the world of politics," he said, referring to Trump.

http://www.haaretz.com/amp/middle-east-news/iran/1.813480

Merkel

"I am against threats of this kind. And speaking for myself and the government I must say that we consider any type of military solution absolutely inappropriate and we are counting on diplomatic efforts," Merkel said in an interview with DW. "This must be vigorously implemented. In my opinion, sanctions and enforcing these sanctions are the right answer. But anything else with regard to North Korea I think is wrong. And that is why we clearly disagree with the US president."

http://p.dw.com/p/2kOC9

Moon

President Moon Jae-in on Wednesday pushed against escalating military threats to North Korea from Washington after U.S. President Donald Trump in a barely coherent address to the UN threatened to "totally destroy" the renegade country.

In a meeting with bankers and business executives in New York on Wednesday, Moon warned that "large-scale military operations result in the deaths of innocent civilians" and stressed the need for a diplomatic solution in dealing with North Korea.

http://english.chosun.com/m/svc/article.html?contid=2017092101259

Mogherini

The European Union foreign policy chief, Federica Mogherini, who was hosting the session of a multilateral joint commission on implementation, said there was no doubt the agreement was being kept and she warned that if any country broke it, it would be in violation of the UN Security Council resolution that enshrined the deal in international law.

“All member states are considered to be bound by its implementation,” Mogherini said. “The international community cannot afford to dismantle an agreement that is working and delivering.”

Referring to the worsening standoff on the Korean peninsula, she added: “We already have one potential nuclear crisis that means we do not need to go into a second one.”

Mogherini said that European states would continue to stick to the agreement even if the Trump administration violated it. The other signatories to the deal - the UK, France, Germany, Russia and China – have all urged Trump not to torpedo it.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/20/iran-president-rouhani-trump-speech-un

Macron

But Macron said that the 2015 deal -- reached between Tehran and the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany -- was a "solid, robust agreement that verifies that Iran will not build a nuclear weapon."

"To reject it now without proposing anything else would be a grave error, and not respecting it would be irresponsible," Macron told assembly.

He acknowledged concerns that the agreement does not cover activities after 2025 or touch on other Western and regional concerns about Iran such as its ballistic missile program.

He called for diplomacy to address the issues, saying: "Let's be stricter, but let's not unravel agreements that have already brought security."

UN inspectors say that Iran is complying with the agreement including its restrictions on uranium enrichment.

Trump has already declared that the United States will pull out of the Paris climate accord, making the world's largest economy and second largest carbon emitter the only outlier alongside war-torn Syria and Nicaragua, which wanted a stronger deal.

Macron said "the door will be open" for the United States to enter the agreement reached in the French capital but vowed: "This agreement will not be renegotiated."

With scientists likening worsening storms and droughts to climate change, Macron said that the effects of rising temperatures were inescapable.

"Unraveling this accord would be to destroy a pact between nations and generations," he said.

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/frances-macron-un-defends-iran-climate-deals-181152734.html

Lock if old

Lombax

Banned
I am happy to hear that there are still rational leaders out in the world. Its reading statements like these that give me hope, and at the same time sadden me that the USA will be alienated from the rest of the free world because of our presidents actions and conduct.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I didn't think such a dark and threatening speech would play over too well with a lot of the UN members.

Shadybiz

I really don't know what to say anymore. It's clear to pretty much everyone except about 50% of people here in the US that the man is dangerously fucking stupid.

Xando

The massive hard on americans (especially conservatives) have for war with Iran always irritates me. If they keep their end of the bargain and don’t develop nukes why cancel it?

daxy

The massive hard on americans (especially conservatives) have for war with Iran always irritates me. If they keep their end of the bargain and don’t develop nukes why cancel it?

Yeah, but Bibi keeps telling them how evil and dangerous Iran is and that man has never lied.

I think John Kelly's reactions put it best

7e1bb7dd7a738cf89d892fb535e425fb

Oberon

Banned
"It will be a great pity if this deal is destroyed by rogue newcomers to the world of politics,"

That's a really nice way to say that Trump doesn't know anything about how politics work.

Frost_Ace

It'll be really fun to see how Trump will be portraied in history books in the future: ridiculed not only by the media of his own country but also but other coutries' leaders.

I get that. But why Iran of all places?

Is it because of Israel?

Because Iran has the potential to be a great power in that region I think.

Would throw kind of big wrench in China plan with the belt and road initiative, if the US can destabilize Iran for a decade. Same probably for selling gas to Europe.

Haunted

Isolation.

Leadership officially abdicated. Other world leaders take on the role that the US used to inhabit when they still were the dominant political superpower (1945 - 2016).

psyfi

Banned
Every American has a responsibility to stop our country from provoking nuclear war. Please people, take this seriously. This could be a death sentence for our entire planet.

The Iran portion of his speech was the most messed up part of it...especially siting Saudi Arabia as some sort of peaceful authority. Just screamed of hypocrisy.

Almost choked on my drink.

SkyOdin

I get that. But why Iran of all places?

Is it because of Israel?
Iran has been a boogieman to the US ever since its revolution and the embassy hostage crisis. Hawks in the US have been beating the war drums over Iran ever since. It has never really stopped for as long as I can remember.

That's a really nice way to say that Trump doesn't know anything about how politics work.

It'll be really fun to see how Trump will be portraied in history books in the future: ridiculed not only by the media of his own country but also but other coutries' leaders.

I don't even think the US media is going far enough in ridiculing him. It's almost always more like shock of all the outrageous and dangerous things he says, but not nearly enough ridicule.
Everyone everywhere every time needs to ridicule him. They need to make him feel as little as his tiny hands. All the leaders out there, all the heads of state, need to eloquently, decisively put him down with their nice coherent words and ideas.

ISee

Trump doesn't care. The american president is to stupid to understand foreign politics and isn't able to control his own ego. In the end he will just make some inappropriate jokes in his inner circle about Macron, Merkel and co., give them silly name and will try to call them out on another occasion in a "clever" way. His willingness to further provoke Iran shocked me even more then his inability to deal with NK.

By the way, whats with Trump giving foreign leaders stupid names like rocket man? Is he going to call Merkel Mrs.Superpower next, will Putin be Hackerman and Makron Dr.Strong Hand? Watch out World, or the US president will behave like a 5 years old and will give you super villain names.

Hesemonni

Banned
It's driving me nuts I can't identify what watch Kelly is wearing. Also, he being in the admin. apparently because of his sense of duty to his country makes me feel a bit bad for the guy having to witness that trainwreck.

Top Bottom