• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plastic Scale Modeling Age |OT| Planes, tanks, cars, sci-fi & more

Leunam

Spray cans are cheap and you can get very, very good results. Are you thinking of any particular look? Clean and pristine or dirty and battle scarred?

This makes me feel like picking the hobby up again. Or start it for real I should say. I glued some stuff together as a kid, but all those kits ended awful with too many glue on all parts and awful paint jobs. I still have 2 or 3 kits laying around I think.

I really like the look of those mechs/robots/... The only thing bothering me is painting it. I would love to be able to do it nice, but I don't want to invest too much money in equipment. So say, maybe some spray cans to start as has been suggested. But even then I'll need to look for a lot of tips to get it right.

Spray cans are fine also Walmart/hobbyshop paints like Apple Barrel can do alright for really cheap.

I have really nice paints but for certain colors that I go through like crazy(white, black) I just buy Apple Barrel

warthog

Spray cans are cheap and you can get very, very good results. Are you thinking of any particular look? Clean and pristine or dirty and battle scarred?

Dirty and battle scarred, definitely! Although that might be the harder look to obtain? Let's say I'd settle for anything with a decent look.

Leunam

Dirty and battle scarred, definitely! Although that might be the harder look to obtain? Let's say I'd settle for anything with a decent look.

I meant to reply to this a while back and was just reminded of it.

Take a look at this project log. The techniques are a bit advanced but this log, and the rest of this guys website, is a goldmine of inspiration, ideas, and tutorials.

Chariot

Hello!
I am currently in the early stages of building the Bismarck and I need to drill 1.3 mm holes into the ship, But lacking a drill this is rather difficult. Are there alternatives to drills?

Milamber

Hello!
I am currently in the early stages of building the Bismarck and I need to drill 1.3 mm holes into the ship, But lacking a drill this is rather difficult. Are there alternatives to drills?

Back when I was a kid I used to do that before flipping for Gundams and had no grinder, a butane torch on a long needle.

Leunam

Hello!

That's a really specific size!

Have you looked into a pin vice?

warthog

I meant to reply to this a while back and was just reminded of it.

Take a look at this project log. The techniques are a bit advanced but this log, and the rest of this guys website, is a goldmine of inspiration, ideas, and tutorials.

Impressive! Thank you for the link.

Hello!

I would suggest looking into getting a pin vise. It is a tool any modeler should have. if you can't get the tool but able to get a hold of just the bit you can just go slowly and turn the drill bit right in your finger tips.

My latest project - Canadian LAV-III in 1/35th scale.

It's the closest kit I could find to the NZLAV, although there are several differences. It'll do me for now.

Got a few bits to paint, then decals, then a wash to apply, then dusting/weathering... getting there though.

tumblr_nkkp70Qv9C1sar356o1_1280.jpg

Any plans for adding accessories like stowage or the like?

The kit came with some cardboard ration packs that I'll fold up and try out, but that's as far as I planned. If I ever build another LAV or similar I'll probably try it out more accessories.

Jube3

That looks awesome lastplayed, I've never tried making a tank/armored vehicle but now I want to try a kit. Any recommendations on a good tank kit to start with?

I just got back into model cars and built this revell 49 Mercury as a warmup/practice project. Paint is a bit more reflective than it is in the picture but not to the level I wanted. I went with Tamiya Metallic blue but I probably should have gone with TS Mica Blue. I also should have really sanded it down a lot better before painting but lesson learned. I want to tackle a few more kits before diving into more expensive kits.

16082400153_eeeba03099_z.jpg

That looks awesome lastplayed, I've never tried making a tank/armored vehicle but now I want to try a kit. Any recommendations on a good tank kit to start with?

Thanks! It depends what you're into really. WWII armour can be quite different to modern stuff, but it all depends on the brand and how much you're willing to pay. I reckon Tamiya and Trumpeter kits are a good place to start, they strike a good balance between simplicity and complexity, at least from what I've seen so far.

The LAV-III is only the third armour model I've had a serious go at, I did a Panzer III and E-10 before that, both pretty good kits.

My next project is a Trumpeter Challenger 2 tank, in desert camo from the Iraq war of 2003.

And the Mercury looks great btw.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
My latest project - Canadian LAV-III in 1/35th scale.

It's the closest kit I could find to the NZLAV, although there are several differences. It'll do me for now.

Got a few bits to paint, then decals, then a wash to apply, then dusting/weathering... getting there though.

The paint job looks amazing, especially the tire.

Thanks. :) It's tempting to leave it nice and clean, but it's going to be all dusted with some sand effects. Might just stick to painting for now, not brave enough to attempt pigments just yet.

She's done and dusted (literally).

I think the sand effect came out ok, didn't want to go overboard with the mud effects. I had a bit of a problem with the tyres though, trying to attach them to the wheels caused the rubber to bend and twist - as expected - but this started chipping and peeling the paint away. Thankfully it wasn't a huge issue, and managed to cover up some of it with more sand paint.

Also most of the tiny decals I painstakingly applied ended up being covered by paint. Oh well, at least I know they're there lol.

It was a really fun kit to paint, can't wait to get stuck into my next project!

Thanks :D Yeah i've been spending about 2-3 hours a night over the last week, so it ramped up pretty quickly, and our Summer that refuses to end makes paint drying super quick (too quick in some cases).

Norfair

Wow, this is an awesome thread.

If I wasn't busy trying to remodel my basement before kid #2 is born I'd probably give this a shot.

Growing up my dad was big into model railroading and I tried that out a few times.

Didn't even know this thread existed. awesome.

Just started on this kit in the past week or so.

tam24051.jpg

I have pics on my home PC, so i'll update this with some progress pics later today. I'm gonna be using a few parts from other kits as well as some aftermarket pieces to make it a 1 off custom but era specific. Haven't built many kits so i'm learning as I go when it comes to the details. I want to make the jump to an air brush set up but don;t know where to start.

Leunam

What do you need to know regarding details?

Years ago I read an article about model cars (in a lowrider magazine!) and one guy said he gets a lot of detail parts from gutted VCRs and other electronics. Plates, electrical components, springs, etc. For cables I like to use the wire inside twist ties as it always seems to be the right thickness and it's pretty easy to work with.

What do you need to know regarding details?

Years ago I read an article about model cars (in a lowrider magazine!) and one guy said he gets a lot of detail parts from gutted VCRs and other electronics. Plates, electrical components, springs, etc. For cables I like to use the wire inside twist ties as it always seems to be the right thickness and it's pretty easy to work with.

My biggest thing concerning details is the paint consistency. For some reason I can't lay down paint over any larger surface (seats, side moldings..etc) without some brush strokes from showing.

This interior i'm working on for the Civic will be the first time i'm going to try and use flocking for simulated carpets.

Leunam

In that case I'd say use spray cans and masking tape (both from Tamiya) instead of brushes. Leave that for really tiny details like engine or console bits.

But if you want to continue with brushes then the best advice one can give you is to thin your paints and paint slowly. Many thin layers over a longer period of time will get far better results.

Using flock for carpeting also sounds like an awesome idea. I don't know why I never thought of that.

Leunam

Simple method but really effective. The scale of the carpet is off, but that can't really be helped without using impossibly fine flock.

Now I've got the urge to pick up a new kit. Been wanting an F4 Phantom for a while. I'm going to do some shopping tonight and see if I can find one so I can add it to my backlog.

Leunam

I did it, I went out and picked up an F-4C Phantom II, 1/48 scale. Look at this decal sheet:

3NvUjhFl.jpg

May God have mercy on my soul.

Leunam

Academy Model Kits. I'd never heard of them before and was actually hoping to find a Hasegawa kit since I know they're quality. They're a Korean company I think and one of the reviews I found online says that their F4 is the better kit over Hasegawa. I've read the instructions but it's going to require some planning to get the paint right based on the build order they've given in the box.

I did it, I went out and picked up an F-4C Phantom II, 1/48 scale. Look at this decal sheet:

3NvUjhFl.jpg

May God have mercy on my soul.

Heh, that's what I love about armour - bugger all decals.

Good luck!

edit: just noticed it doesn't even include all the roundels and tail markings. Good lord!

Wubby

That armor looks great Lastplayed! Thanks for sharing your work!

Happy to see this thread getting more action.

That Academy Phantom is a relatively new kit I know. Applying those decals is going to be fun! Just remember to gloss coat it before doing the decals to make your life easier...

I've been lazy lately. Haven't painted anything in over a year. I've just been snapping together Bandai kits and adding them to the will paint someday stack...

Really like the new Star Wars kits Bandai is making now. The Tie Fighter and AT-ST came out last week. The X-Wing and Tie Advanced came out in December.

Out of curiosity the other day I decided to try combining the Tie's...

jbh1lcCDLOh4KN.jpg

jUQAkqVauMHES.jpg

Also bought the best pair of nippers I've ever had last Christmas. They are constantly sold out here in Japan. They are called the God Hand ultimate nipper. I've been wanting to write a review of them for this thread.. Just need to stop being lazy! So many kits... so little time.

Leunam

Heh, that's what I love about armour - bugger all decals.

Good luck!

edit: just noticed it doesn't even include all the roundels and tail markings. Good lord!

Thanks. Those markings are on a separate, but much smaller sheet.

That Academy Phantom is a relatively new kit I know. Applying those decals is going to be fun! Just remember to gloss coat it before doing the decals to make your life easier...

Yeah I've got experience with decals from Warhammer and Gundam kits. I've got some decal set and softener as well to really make them blend in properly on the surface.

That TIE looks cool. I bet there's a TIE like that in the expanded universe.

hirokazu

Are there any up to date guides and resources for Gundams? Looking to get started, but a lot of the stuff earlier in the thread no longer exist.

Leunam

Are there any up to date guides and resources for Gundams? Looking to get started, but a lot of the stuff earlier in the thread no longer exist.

I posted this dudes blog earlier. His early models were mostly Gunpla. You can also try the subreddit r/gunpla, GAFs own Gundam thread, and Gundam Eclipse for other more up to date resources.

Leunam

Alright. So I did get cracking on the F4. I started some work on the cockpit when I decided I needed to really sharpen my skills a little more if I hope to do this model justice. It being one of my absolute favorite American aircraft in history I wanted to be sure I had some practice before I really start to plug away.

So for much needed exercise I've decided to work on a car that's been in my backlog for a few years now. I won't reveal what it is just yet, but maybe someone can guess what it is based on the (half) finished engine:

iZc2gChl.jpg

Does model-Gaf have an opinion on miniatures? I've been spending a lot of time painting Warhammer 40K minis lately, technically modeling though there's already a thread for that.

Alright. So I did get cracking on the F4. I started some work on the cockpit when I decided I needed to really sharpen my skills a little more if I hope to do this model justice. It being one of my absolute favorite American aircraft in history I wanted to be sure I had some practice before I really start to plug away.

So for much needed exercise I've decided to work on a car that's been in my backlog for a few years now. I won't reveal what it is just yet, but maybe someone can guess what it is based on the (half) finished engine:

iZc2gChl.jpg

Ferrari F40?
I have no knowledge of engines.

Looks pretty cool!

I just completed my little Airfix RNZAF T.11 Vampire kit. It was supposed to be a weekend build, but ended up taking an entire week. This was due to me discovering that Airfix's other Vampire kit has way more stenciling decals, so I acquired that and applied it to this model. Was worth the extra effort and money though.

There were a few fit issues and I'm not entirely happy with the puttying and seam work, but it's something I'm slowly getting better at (I hope). But if you look at a real Vampire of the time, they look a bit bashed about, like someone built them just using a hammer, so that's the excuse I'm running with lol.

I've also got myself an Airfix Canberra jet bomber lined up, also with RNZAF markings, it's part two of my little patriotic jet collection. :p

Wubby

I just completed my little Airfix RNZAF T.11 Vampire kit. It was supposed to be a weekend build, but ended up taking an entire week. This was due to me discovering that Airfix's other Vampire kit has way more stenciling decals, so I acquired that and applied it to this model. Was worth the extra effort and money though.

There were a few fit issues and I'm not entirely happy with the puttying and seam work, but it's something I'm slowly getting better at (I hope). But if you look at a real Vampire of the time, they look a bit bashed about, like someone built them just using a hammer, so that's the excuse I'm running with lol.

Nice Vampire! There's one of those in the aircraft museum that's in my city. The only one Japan ever got I guess. I kind of want to get the Airfix kit just to build that.

Thanks. Didn't know there was a dedicated Gunpla thread here.

You can post all the Gunpla here you want! Or ask any questions...There is also the Gundam thread in the community section of this forum. You can post Gunpla stuff there too... only problem is they talk about the Anime itself in that thread a bit more than modeling so modeling posts get buried pretty quickly.

Does model-Gaf have an opinion on miniatures? I've been spending a lot of time painting Warhammer 40K minis lately, technically modeling though there's already a thread for that.

To be honest I don't know much about figures. They're too expensive for my blood. The painting part fits in with this thread, the gaming part not so much.

Leunam

Ferrari F40?
I have no knowledge of engines.

Looks pretty cool!

I wish, that's my favorite Ferrari and I can't find a kit anywhere.

That's a really cool plane. This raises a question for me: how do you all display your completed models? I was thinking about getting that one Ikea glass display case once I have enough models to put in there.

Leunam

Citadel sells a paint like that which you can use straight out of the pot.

However, I think there is an additive you can buy which can be mixed with whatever paint you want to achieve the same effect.

As for painting with it you're supposed to paint it on pretty thin otherwise it won't crack properly.

Brakke

Banned
Ahhh cool thread. I got into Warmachine kind of recently, posted some pics in the miniature gaming thread. I like that style of painting, where it's a bit more impressionistic. Like, you're playing the toys on a table usually only looking at them from a few feet away, make sure you get the major colors right and then pic a few minute details to pop. Painting like that is more a cool puzzle of "how efficiently can I reach good enough".

That said, there's some really impressive high-detail work in this thread.

That crackle paint looks cool. I might check that out for slopping on around model bases, make them look like they're in the desert. Seems like a quick way to get a nice look across.

I can't believe I've never seen this thread before!

I have a 1/20 Tamiya Jordan 191 F1 kit just sat in the loft that I might have to dig out now!

Subscribed.

Here are a couple of progress pics on the civic i'm building.

vsYxNe7l.jpg

BdaGmmil.jpg

cvquyadl.jpg

Still have to finish up the aftermarket nardi style wood steering wheel and aftermarket short shifter I took off an old kit I never built (debating putting in a single racing seat as well). Exterior is taking a bit longer than I thought but it's mostly just the trim and accent stuff left. Hopefully i'll be able to get it close to done in the next week or so.

Top Bottom