• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland (OR) |OT|

We survived the drive from Missoula to Portland, and have been here since the 14th. We really like the new apartment, and location. It's close to an on ramp, and half a mile from the Sunset TC. I'm also really impressed with how the Tualitan Park trails are weaved into the neighborhood. It's really nice being able to jog in the morning by just getting on a trail at the back of the apartment.

Edit: My dad helped us drive across the country. I probably couldn't have done it without his help, and it was cool spending that time with him. We stopped in Missoula, MT to visit my dad's brother that he hasn't seen in 30 years.

Sounds like you're right around my neighborhood. I'm within about a four minute walk to the Market of Choice near there. It's fairly convenient. I kind of wish I lived in the apartments I'm guessing you're in as it would be a little easier to just walk to Sunset. Instead Sunset fills up and there's not really good walking sidewalks to get there so instead I drive 15-20 minutes to Beaverton Creek just to park and take the Max to work.

We survived the drive from Missoula to Portland, and have been here since the 14th. We really like the new apartment, and location. It's close to an on ramp, and half a mile from the Sunset TC. I'm also really impressed with how the Tualitan Park trails are weaved into the neighborhood. It's really nice being able to jog in the morning by just getting on a trail at the back of the apartment.

Edit: My dad helped us drive across the country. I probably couldn't have done it without his help, and it was cool spending that time with him. We stopped in Missoula, MT to visit my dad's brother that he hasn't seen in 30 years.

JFOUL DA MUTHERFUCKIN GAWD.

(we played Halo 5 together and I also live in Portland)

jfoul

Sounds like you're right around my neighborhood. I'm within about a four minute walk to the Market of Choice near there. It's fairly convenient. I kind of wish I lived in the apartments I'm guessing you're in as it would be a little easier to just walk to Sunset. Instead Sunset fills up and there's not really good walking sidewalks to get there so instead I drive 15-20 minutes to Beaverton Creek just to park and take the Max to work.

Yeah, seems like you're close. We stopped at The Market of Choice during our daily walk today. Afterwards we went to a Sushi place a block away.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nearish.

We lived in the SF peninsula and I think the drive from Portland to Haystack Rock takes about as long as it took us to get from San Mateo to the Halfmoon Bay. Looked at Seattle, too, until we realized that it was like a 3 hour drive to the ocean from there.

Yeah totes. I just mean that I always think it's actually coastal instead of inland. So much water-related stuff too, from bridges to houseboats. I intellectually know exactly where it is but in my head I always think coast.

Gonna be in town for a few days in April (near the Portland International airport). Think I can get by on Uber and public transportation or should I consider renting a car?

brau

Gonna be in town for a few days in April (near the Portland International airport). Think I can get by on Uber and public transportation or should I consider renting a car?

Depends on what you want to do. You'll need a car to go anywhere outside of city. But the MAX its a pretty good public system. Branches out to mostly everywhere, and buses fill out the rest of the city. I use it every day.

Depends on what you want to do. You'll need a car to go anywhere outside of city. But the MAX its a pretty good public system. Branches out to mostly everywhere, and buses fill out the rest of the city. I use it every day.

Cool, thanks for the advice! I don't have much plans yet, kind of an impulse travel plan. Going to definitely be checking out some breweries, wineries and bars, and hopefully do some hiking. Will definitely be making use of the OP, though. Maybe I'll just rent a car for one day to do stuff outside of the city.

brau

Cool, thanks for the advice! I don't have much plans yet, kind of an impulse travel plan. Going to definitely be checking out some breweries, wineries and bars, and hopefully do some hiking. Will definitely be making use of the OP, though. Maybe I'll just rent a car for one day to do stuff outside of the city.

There are plenty of beautiful sites to go visit outside of Portland. So a day with a car will be nice. For everthing else transit should be good enough.

Thread with some good recommendations on food in case you were interested.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349366

Any reason why you're staying near the airport? Uber and stuff is fine out there but I feel like there's plenty of cool areas to stay in with stuff to do where you wouldn't even need to Uber.

There are plenty of beautiful sites to go visit outside of Portland. So a day with a car will be nice. For everthing else transit should be good enough.

Thread with some good recommendations on food in case you were interested.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349366

Sweet, can't wait to check out the area! I've been wanting to go to Oregon for many years (from Minnesota, and most of my travels have been on the East coast). A friend recommended checking out Multnomah Falls and Goonies Rock. I am going to start a list of things to do and places to eat. By the way, any good coffee roasters in Oregon?

Any reason why you're staying near the airport? Uber and stuff is fine out there but I feel like there's plenty of cool areas to stay in with stuff to do where you wouldn't even need to Uber.

My departure flight is super early on my last day, so I wanted to be kind of close. I am only going to be in for two full days, so I figured I'd just travel to where I wanted to and stay there for those two days. Kind of wish I would have looked around a bit more, but I know I won't be staying at the hotel much anyways.

Sweet, can't wait to check out the area! I've been wanting to go to Oregon for many years (from Minnesota, and most of my travels have been on the East coast). A friend recommended checking out Multnomah Falls and Goonies Rock. I am going to start a list of things to do and places to eat. By the way, any good coffee roasters in Oregon?

My departure flight is super early on my last day, so I wanted to be kind of close. I am only going to be in for two full days, so I figured I'd just travel to where I wanted to and stay there for those two days. Kind of wish I would have looked around a bit more, but I know I won't be staying at the hotel much anyways.

Yeah, for coffee check out:

Courier Coffee
Heart
Water Avenue Coffee
Coava Coffee

Since your staying at the airport you'll be able to get to Multnomah Falls in a really nice easy drive. You could go early, eat brunch out there (I recommend Tad's Chicken for some twin peaks vibes), and then head back into town.

I don't know if I'd recommend the Goonies rock only because there's a lot to see and do in Portland and you'd spend a lot of the day driving.

jfoul

I have been here for about six weeks, so I should probably start using it. Driving from West Portland to East Portland is a pain in the ass. Actually, I've never used a rail system, or ever been on a train before. Maybe this weekend will be MAX adventure time.

brau

I have been here for about six weeks, so I should probably start using it. Driving from West Portland to East Portland is a pain in the ass. Actually, I've never used a rail system, or ever been on a train before. Maybe this weekend will be MAX adventure time.

I get the monthly pass, works out fine for me. I take it every day.

Let me know if you have any questions about it. The commute to go through the tunnel, by the zoo is terrible from where you are at. Same here with the 5 north being packed most of the time.

jfoul

I get the monthly pass, works out fine for me. I take it every day.

Let me know if you have any questions about it. The commute to go through the tunnel, by the zoo is terrible from where you are at. Same here with the 5 north being packed most of the time.

I need to get pricing, routes/times. I don't need to use it much because I work from home, but I'm like 1 mile from Sunset TC. when I'm done with work today, I'll do some research.

brau

I need to get pricing, routes/times. I don't need to use it much because I work from home, but I'm like 1 mile from Sunset TC. when I'm done with work today, I'll do some research.

I think all info is in here.

https://trimet.org/

TBH, i just use google maps and it'll tell me schedules and what to take when i need to. Tho trimet has fares and other info as well.

Hey all, moving to Portland in the summer for grad school (OHSU), so I've started looking at apartments in the area. It's gonna be a big move for me coming from the east coast, but I've already pretty much decided I'm gonna fly out and ship some small stuff over, and all the big stuff such as furniture I'll buy once I'm there.

I'm looking to live relatively close to the campus so I've been looking at places on the hill, south waterfront, and downtown and would love any recommendations/words of advice about these areas. For example, I know living on the hill right next to campus would be nice because I could just walk to work easily, but there's a real lack of things like restaurants and grocery stores close by.

Of the students I've talked to, I'd say the majority live in southeast Portland, but the commute by either bike or public transit (I will not have a car) is deterring me from looking over there. I could be persuaded with a good argument, however.

Thanks!

I wouldn't be picky about finding anywhere to live in the entire city. Portland is one of the most popular places in the country right now. You're about to be introduced to an intense tenant/landlord/government price and eviction war that's been going on for a decade.

A SE 40th-ish location would be a 30 minute, 5-7 mile ride on a bike, which is standard.

Hey all, moving to Portland in the summer for grad school (OHSU), so I've started looking at apartments in the area. It's gonna be a big move for me coming from the east coast, but I've already pretty much decided I'm gonna fly out and ship some small stuff over, and all the big stuff such as furniture I'll buy once I'm there.

I'm looking to live relatively close to the campus so I've been looking at places on the hill, south waterfront, and downtown and would love any recommendations/words of advice about these areas. For example, I know living on the hill right next to campus would be nice because I could just walk to work easily, but there's a real lack of things like restaurants and grocery stores close by.

Of the students I've talked to, I'd say the majority live in southeast Portland, but the commute by either bike or public transit (I will not have a car) is deterring me from looking over there. I could be persuaded with a good argument, however.

Thanks!

If you can afford it live downtown or by the waterfront. You're surrounded by a ton of stuff and lowest commute time. Or live on Division street in SE for more young/hip area as well.

SW area is the least interesting part of the city IMO.

jfoul

Damn man, the job market here is really competitive. My wife hasn't had much luck finding something in her field for three months. I love it here, but our monthly budget is tight, and I'm starting to get nervous. Repayment for her college debt is coming up here soon also.

brau

Damn man, the job market here is really competitive. My wife hasn't had much luck finding something in her field for three months. I love it here, but our monthly budget is tight, and I'm starting to get nervous. Repayment for her college debt is coming up here soon also.

No kidding man. Debt is a pain.

What kind of work is she looking for?

jfoul

No kidding man. Debt is a pain.

What kind of work is she looking for?

She's pretty much looking for anything that's not retail. Her major is technical writing with an emphasis on computer science and business technology.

Edit - Right after posting this she got a job offer. It's for an HR assistant position(M-F /8-5), but it's only 37K starting, and the drive time would be about 1-2 hours daily minimum. It's nice she got a hit, but she decided to pass. Imo, with her credentials, I think she should be looking at 45-50k.

brau

She's pretty much looking for anything that's not retail. Her major is technical writing with an emphasis on computer science and business technology.

Edit - Right after posting this she got a job offer. It's for an HR assistant position(M-F /8-5), but it's only 37K starting, and the drive time would be about 1-2 hours daily minimum. It's nice she got a hit, but she decided to pass. Imo, with her credentials, I think she should be looking at 45-50k.

Her degree sounds impressive enough for that salary range haha. But i know no better. I do know that job hunting can take forever. But its always motivating when you get a hit even if you have to pass on it because its not the right offer.

I think base salary for someone with experience should be at least 45k around here. But i really don't know how much of a demand there is. Like what kind of jobs is she applying to? just to get a better idea.

Yep. Been looking for a new job since November and I've never had this much trouble.

What kind of job are you looking for?

jfoul

Her degree sounds impressive enough for that salary range haha. But i know no better. I do know that job hunting can take forever. But its always motivating when you get a hit even if you have to pass on it because its not the right offer.

I think base salary for someone with experience should be at least 45k around here. But i really don't know how much of a demand there is. Like what kind of jobs is she applying to? just to get a better idea.

She just had her interview downtown. She said it went well, and should know in a day or two. It starts at 42K and escalates after three months. I didn't get any other details except they also pay 50% of transit, it had marble floors, and was on the 19th floor of a building. She sounds excited.

brau

She just had her interview downtown. She said it went well, and should know in a day or two. It starts at 42K and escalates after three months. I didn't get any other details except they also pay 50% of transit, it had marble floors, and was on the 19th floor of a building. She sounds excited.

Hope it works out for her. Transit is pretty pricey. $100 bucks a month is pretty steep. That is what i pay and work doesn't pay for a fraction of it. :(

Other places i've worked before have covered transit and even encourage it.

Anyways, i hope its a good fit and she likes it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Being on the 19th floor basically rules out 93% of buildings downtown. Haha

Settled in after a couple months (I just moved from NYC). I'm right on NW Irving and have tons of awesome things near by. I've been volunteering at Hoyt Arboretum every once in a while too.
Next on my list is to rent a car sometime and drive out to the coast or over to the Gorge.

Oh, and if anyone wants to hang out for a hike or a few boardgames, Im down.

jfoul

Crazy shit has been going on with stabbings, and people with knives since I moved here.

Stay safe Portland GAF :(

mYm|17|

Portland GAF! Been living here for about 2 months out of my Airstream in North Portland.

Been tough to find friends to do stuff with. I have a partner who works alot so tough for us to make friends. Any suggestions? Any meet up groups here in Portland?

Portland GAF! Been living here for about 2 months out of my Airstream in North Portland.

Been tough to find friends to do stuff with. I have a partner who works alot so tough for us to make friends. Any suggestions? Any meet up groups here in Portland?

I'm new too. Maybe we should meet?
When was the last time Portland Gaf met?

What's Ashland like? At facevalue , it has always come across as somewhere I would like to live for it's nature and beauty.

I went camping there once- it was... full of trees. Honestly I found it very similar to the most northern parts of California, so it's hard for me to describe. It's full of tourists in the summer because of the annual Shakespear festival it's known for.

brau

I am moving out of Portland by the end of the month and I'm trying to sublet my apt. Any interest here? or pass the word to someone that might be interested i would fully appreciate it. Had 2 people interested. 1 said they were going for a 2 bedroom, the other guy never answered my callback with the info he asked me before he would sublet.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/sub/6160544859.html

Its nice, even if its not downtown.

About a week out from my move to Portland! Ended up getting a place downtown. Any recommendations for places to get cheapish furniture other than the usual Ikea/craigslist? Also, how is centurylink internet? My place has hookups for gigabit through them that I'm thinking of getting.

What are some of the summer festivities worth going to? Best place for 4th of July?

Top Bottom