• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition |OT| Durante Does In 23 Minutes What From Can't

Durante

Durante fix it for us. WORK YOUR MAGIC
I hope I can. Have to wait for GMG to give me my key and the game to unlock first. Then it's a question of whether From simply didn't bother to do it or if there are really large issues in the code base preventing it. If the former, it should be possible to fix it rather quickly. If the latter, well, it may take a long time or never happen.

I hope I can. Have to wait for GMG to give me my key and the game to unlock first. Then it's a question of whether From simply didn't bother to do it or if there are really large issues in the code base preventing it. If the former, it should be possible to fix it rather quickly. If the latter, well, it may take a long time or never happen.

Judging by the screens of the game where /v/ was injecting FXAA in the game I really think they hardcoded the whole thing. Look at the UI elements and how they get afected by the filters.

However, I believe in your witchcraft good sir.

wutwutwut

Judging by the screens of the game where /v/ was injecting FXAA in the game I really think they hardcoded the whole thing. Look at the UI elements and how they get afected by the filters.
That's standard. Try forcing MLAA on through the ATI catalyst thing some time -- since it's a shader it affects everything that's displayed on screen.

Orayn

However, I believe in your witchcraft good sir.

Any injector for post-process AA will affect 2D elements like that. As Durante explained a while ago, there ARE scenarios where it won't be realistic to fix the res, but we should continue to believe for the time being.

Durante

That would be because they are injecting the filters as a post-process after all the rendering is done (which is much simpler and possible to do generically for all games).

When working on an injector for a specific game, and when you have some expertise -- and more importantly, plenty of time -- then you can likely figure out at which point the 3D rendered image is done and the GUI rendering starts, and run the post-process AA pass at that specific point. However, that's just a secondary goal in case increasing the resolution doesn't work out.

Are the HUD elements likely the biggest obstacle?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sure, but it ain't illegal.

Depends on who you ask, I personally think that you should be allowed to do anything you want to stuff that you have paid for.

It doesn't matter who you ask. It's a violation of 17 USC 1201(a)(1), which says that cracking the DRM on a game is illegal. There's no fair use defense, because it's governed by the DMCA.

That said, fuck tha police. Do what you want.

_machine

It doesn't matter who you ask. It's a violation of 17 USC 1201(a)(1), which says that cracking the DRM on a game is illegal. There's no fair use defense, because it's governed by the DMCA.

That said, fuck tha police. Do what you want.
Well my friend and I live in Finland and I'm quite sure that cracking games you owned was never ruled illegal here.

Sullichin

Currently #2 seller on Steam

So everyone playing now has a cracked version? I'm a bit surprised there's a crack for the DRM already unless there's one you can use for all GFWL games or something. Are they able to play online?

Durante

Are the HUD elements likely the biggest obstacle?
Impossible to tell at this point. Ideally, you'd "just" need to adjust a few rendertarget sizes, the related viewport projection settings and scaling calls and everything works. However, that's not very likely since they'd probably have done that themselves (it's much easier still when you have the source code for the game and know how it works!).

If the HUD is hardcoded it requires a lot of annoying manual tinkering, and the same is the case (or even more so!) if the shaders are hardcoded. Everything is possible, but if either of these are the case I'd not expect a quick fix. If both are the case I wouldn't expect one, period.

In preparation, I've already created a d3d9.dll that intercepts and logs all the relevant calls. In case I'm not able to fix it I plan on at least open sourcing my efforts.

_machine

So everyone playing now has a cracked version? I'm a bit surprised there's a crack for the DRM already unless there's one you can use for all GFWL games or something. Are they able to play online?
The retail version contains the whole game, but is restriced by the GFWL unlock so it's no wonder it's been cracked already. That's why I assumed my friend hadn't even needed to crack the game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

It's not a steamworks game, people are playing retail copies.

RedSwirl

Even so it's a top seller on Steam right now, ahead of even ARMA with the DayZ craze. I think it'll manage a few hundred thousand copies at least, and probably more if the technical issues get fixed.

That's about in-line with the console sales if I recall correctly. Still interested in seeing what might happen when the Steam sale hits.

Teknoman

Man... Facebook GMG about Dark Souls preload -

(not my facebook account)

Casper Ye Ol SkoolGreen Man Gaming
Monday at 8:02pm ·
When will we receive our dark soul keys ?? We wanna preload :(
Like · Comment

Casper Ye Ol Skool no comment ?
Tuesday at 1:29am · 1

Green Man Gaming Keys will be sent out on day of release -James
Tuesday at 1:30am

Casper Ye Ol Skool Fair enough.. but what timezone are you guys running off ? some countries are getting it earlier than some.
Tuesday at 1:31am

Green Man Gaming It should be a simultaneous release :) Approximately midnight UTC 24th (so up to 8 hours earlier on the 23rd if you're in North America, for example) -James

So I guess we wont get keys until the actual game unlocks? That just puts a damper on things.

Detox

i think GFWL is the only client where hackers are still able to crack games early.
Surely you jest? GFWL has Zero Day Piracy Protection (ZDPP) - is a free service to help mitigate piracy prior to launch. Through a simple tool, the developer can encrypt their game, or portions of their game, such that they will be non-functional prior to the launch date. ZDPP requires one-time access to the Internet to check whether the launch date has passed.

I guess FROM couldn't even figure out how to use that as it isn't available in the 360 version of LIVE.

Top Bottom