• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Finally got over my laziness in order to post about manga!

Berserk

So many Mara clones.

OPM (Murata)

King has really good chemistry with Saitama. Manga needs more Watchdogman kicking ass.

Golden Kamui 97-98

Shit hit the fan really fast. Loved the progession of the Shiraishi covers lol.

Kaguya 68

If Iino ever met Mob it would be love at the first sight.

Helck 96.2

Damn Helck got hurt really bad there. Cless appeared to save them but what about Rafaed?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
01gnQHJ.png

I'm not trying to shake hands!

Tomo-chan ch.580
Carol asks to play Badmitton, not knowing how to properly swing the racket.
Her mind continues to be a mystery.

Strawberry Fields Once Again ch.1
I'm fine with yuri, though my amount of interest in this will depend on if the time travelling chick gets more moments of yandere-isms. That single one panel page is all I'm basing it on, and I hope it's a sign of things to come.

Getter Robo Devolution ch.18
With this chapter, Saotome reveals his primary goal and it falls squarely in the "major character aspiring to kill god" cliche. Although having a Getter manga where the Emperor is actually being piloted by the heroes and not just self evolving till the literal end of the universe is a nice twist on it. Plus some extra exposition on how humanity first encountered the Emperor, but it didn't feel that much more insightful than what was already explained during the bits of time travel in the last mainline Getter Robo Arc.

It's continuing to do a good job at keeping up the mystery while trickling out new details about the nature of the Getter multiverse, and I'm honestly contemplating if the author will actually dare and try to fill in what came after the end of Getter Robo Arc to further explain all of the Emperor's exploits in this series (seeing the Shin Dragon reborn as the last official page of Getter Robo from Ishikawa is still tough to swallow).

jonjonaug

I'm actually kind of glad it ended. It was a cute and fun read, but it couldn't have gone on for much longer without dragging the story.

I really wish Seven Seas or someone else who does yuri and online manga would pick it up cause it's really good and the scanlators are super dead.

Satan's Secretary 4
That's some pretty ingrained trauma. It's understandable to an extent, but his discriminatory reactions towards his remaining staff just can't be justified. Nor can his investment in Lightweight Female Warrior Armor™. The Secretary makes a(nother) valid point - I can't remember the last time I ignored a treasure chest in a game because of trap fears.

Jintor

I really wish Seven Seas or someone else who does yuri and online manga would pick it up cause it's really good and the scanlators are super dead.

hey fuck if the scanlators aren't doing it i may as well do it. i need a project anyway.

just gotta get that last volume...

Zweizer

Banned
Maou no Hisho ch4

Secretary sure is traumatic, lol. There's no denying her efficiency.

Somali to Mori no Kami-sama ch18

I expect Uzoi to have second thoughts about it. They got along pretty well after all.

Mitsuboshi Colors ch28

They sure go all-out for festivals.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch581

Dat hover hand.

Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous ch25

So transfer students are super-op chuunis.
Also, holy shit at the vice-prez. Guess he lives up to his appearance.

The Seven Deadly Sins - Seven Days Ch5: Ban is pretty much the reason I read Seven Deadly Sins so having this small solo expand-alone series with him has - so far - been a delight.

Vigilante - My Hero Academy Illegals Ch9: I do like how this spin-off is a darker tone, looking forward to this new arc, as it seems to have decent potential.

Tokyo Ghoul :re Ch130: Touka-Kaneki moments are still really cute, though the foreshadowing is killing me.
And with that last page cliff-hanger I am really,
really, really not looking forward to next weeks chapter.

Paralell Paradise Ch10-11: My god this is dumb. *continues to read anyway to see just how dumb it can get*

Kaguya-sama Ch67-68: A perfect couple of chapters. Upgrade to the main/reoccuring cast, maybe?

Fbh

Berserk
Shame that it's going on a break. Would have at least like more than fighting penis monsters in the chapter before the break

Promised Neverland
So guess the hooded guys are definitely good, no? The one that appeared before the big group had me in doubt but this one saving Ray kinda makes it clear

I don't agree with he "jumping the shark" comments. Since the first chapter of was clear that they would face off against the demons at some point.
I doubt it's going to be generic Shonen sword fights with powers though. They are probably going to have a more strategic focus. Catch them by surprise, lure them into traps , etc.

Hxh
Honestly, it has been so long that I'm still in the process of remembering who everyone was and what's going on.

Innocent Devil 4
Nothing says "I love you" like a brick to the head. Akane even managed to creep me out this chapter, which is an achievement in itself. Miyori throwing the fight to (potentially) save that kid's life actually makes her feel the more human of the pair. I wouldn't object to her becoming a full-time party member, providing she ditches her current, uh, preferences.

Met My Sister On A Dating Site 7

Eut36rG.jpg

Boogiepop

So I blew through this whole series in one go, and I liked it, but... I had some issues with it, too.

Pretty much all my issues tie back into the ending, largely, so spoiler warning I suppose.

The biggest thing of all that hurt the series for me is actually Takeru. Like, the dude just did not get great development IMO, largely in part because all of his big scenes with Mizuki were just... kind of almost rapey molestation scenes, rather than actually showing them getting along and being good for one another. And then outside of that both sides spend most of their time being all "nope, nope, can't have those sorts of feelings" rather than, you know, actually showing them hanging out or being properly close to one another. Like, if anything, I actually felt like he clicked far more naturally with Loki than anyone else, whereas it just didn't feel natural with him otherwise.

Of course I'll admit part of that is some slight sour grapes though, as I actually got drawn mentally into relationship warz for the first time in forever, (That scene early on with Mizuki imagining him and Fujiwara both in wedding dresses kind of sold me on a superficial level... but then I legitimately felt like they clicked a LOT better over the course of the series). Which actually leads into my other big issue with the series near the end: tying Mizuki's gender to who she (I'll go with, because of where the character ends up by the end of the series) is in love with was some BS. Which I say not only because it wrecked the pairing I was hoping for and also blatantly imploded Fujiwara's chances well before it actually said so definitively (because there was no way the series was going to end up going back to being a man at the end), but also because it just felt like it really undermined a lot at the end. Like, rather than both feeling like full fledged decisions as they should, it felt half-baked, like "I wanna be with Takeru so I guess I'll be a girl for forever" and vice-versa dragging the other decision along. Plus, you know, it's kind of bs as it sort of acts to delegitimize the idea of homosexual relationships being a thing, which isn't that cool.

Oh, and also... I feel like Loki's character got a tad cheated at the very end there, and should've gotten a little bit more meaningful interaction to finish things off, but eh.

All that said, there was still a lot to like about the series, and I enjoyed it overall quite a bit. Just... definitely some caveats due to the above stuff.

(Also, sorry that I probably won't be actively following up on this for a few days, as we're currently in the part of the week where I avoid reading the thread as scans have leaked, yet it's too early for me to read the US Jump chapters officially. But I wanted to post all of this while it was fresh in my mind).

jonjonaug

So I blew through this whole series in one go, and I liked it, but... I had some issues with it, too.

Pretty much all my issues tie back into the ending, largely, so spoiler warning I suppose.

The biggest thing of all that hurt the series for me is actually Takeru. Like, the dude just did not get great development IMO, largely in part because all of his big scenes with Mizuki were just... kind of almost rapey molestation scenes, rather than actually showing them getting along and being good for one another. And then outside of that both sides spend most of their time being all "nope, nope, can't have those sorts of feelings" rather than, you know, actually showing them hanging out or being properly close to one another. Like, if anything, I actually felt like he clicked far more naturally with Loki than anyone else, whereas it just didn't feel natural with him otherwise.

Of course I'll admit part of that is some slight sour grapes though, as I actually got drawn mentally into relationship warz for the first time in forever, (That scene early on with Mizuki imagining him and Fujiwara both in wedding dresses kind of sold me on a superficial level... but then I legitimately felt like they clicked a LOT better over the course of the series). Which actually leads into my other big issue with the series near the end: tying Mizuki's gender to who she (I'll go with, because of where the character ends up by the end of the series) is in love with was some BS. Which I say not only because it wrecked the pairing I was hoping for and also blatantly imploded Fujiwara's chances well before it actually said so definitively (because there was no way the series was going to end up going back to being a man at the end), but also because it just felt like it really undermined a lot at the end. Like, rather than both feeling like full fledged decisions as they should, it felt half-baked, like "I wanna be with Takeru so I guess I'll be a girl for forever" and vice-versa dragging the other decision along. Plus, you know, it's kind of bs as it sort of acts to delegitimize the idea of homosexual relationships being a thing, which isn't that cool.

Oh, and also... I feel like Loki's character got a tad cheated at the very end there, and should've gotten a little bit more meaningful interaction to finish things off, but eh.

All that said, there was still a lot to like about the series, and I enjoyed it overall quite a bit. Just... definitely some caveats due to the above stuff.

(Also, sorry that I probably won't be actively following up on this for a few days, as we're currently in the part of the week where I avoid reading the thread as scans have leaked, yet it's too early for me to read the US Jump chapters officially. But I wanted to post all of this while it was fresh in my mind).

Yeah if you want to read a magical gender change manga and are looking for actual good and consistent characterization there's like two good options in English and Boku Girl ain't one of them. Try Shishunki Bitter Change.

Boogiepop

Yeah if you want to read a magical gender change manga and are looking for actual good and consistent characterization there's like two good options in English and Boku Girl ain't one of them. Try Shishunki Bitter Change.

Fortunately already have that one sitting in my pile, and definitely looking forward to when I get around to it. Just out of curiosity, I'm sure I've already got it covered (as I've gone fairly deep into at least picking up, if not yet reading, this sort of stuff), but what was the other one you were thinking of?

jonjonaug

Fortunately already have that one sitting in my pile, and definitely looking forward to when I get around to it. Just out of curiosity, I'm sure I've already got it covered (as I've gone fairly deep into at least picking up, if not yet reading, this sort of stuff), but what was the other one you were thinking of?

Clean Up After Rain is ok but from what I've heard the ending is fairly disappointing.

Here's a link to the Seven Seas licensing survey. They'll pretty much license from anyone nowadays, so you might as well try your luck!

Already did.

Fukumenki Noise Ch1-7: Why do I read Shoujo, all it causes me is pain!

Quan Zhi Gao Shou Ch42.2-43.2: Still an excellent representation of the Web Novel, love seeing the E-sports terms and phrases - just wish there were more. (It's a shame the anime rushed it so much, so much good material skipped over or barely touched).

bobohoro

Berserk 351

Some utterly amazing artwork as always.
Next chapter will be amazing.
Come winter...

Tomo-chan 581

I have no idea where this is going.
I just hope it ends with suffering.

A.J.

Banned
Kimetsu No Yaiba chapter 1 through 66:
This has been quite the enjoyable read so far. What really won me over though was the functional recovery training. A lot of good gags coupled with some wonky art really got me laughing quite a bit. The recent stuff with Rengoku was good albeit I would have preferred to have spent a bit more time with the character. But I'm guessing we needed to get this done so that the dad would have the motivation to teach Tanjiro the flames style.

Mediking

I remember when Shonen Jump had this really cool initiative to encourage their Western readers to create manga by sending in their ideas. I wish I had jumped on that when I was a kid.

I wanna do a manga so bad because manga offers presentation in ways that books can't do at times.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
What's this Rokudou you lads speak off. Worth my time?

Harem manga with yankee/bad girl

Unlike other harem protagonist,ghis one actually got balls and proven himself to be decent guy
I remember when Shonen Jump had this really cool initiative to encourage their Western readers to create manga by sending in their ideas. I wish I had jumped on that when I was a kid.

I wanna do a manga so bad because manga offers presentation in ways that books can't do at times.
Do it man,it never too late to do it. Mari Yamazaki start doing manga in her late 20 or early 30's if i recall. Shima Kosaku author working on manga after he become a manager.

Scum

Harem manga with yankee/bad girl

Unlike other harem protagonist,ghis one actually got balls and proven himself to be decent guy

Do it man,it never too late to do it. Mari Yamazaki start doing manga in her late 20 or early 30's if i recall. Shima Kosaku author working on manga after he become a manager.

Xlz1iA4.png

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

"hmmm this looks like a cute manga"

*spoilers in comments section*

ok nope not touching this one with a 100000 foot pole

Top Bottom