• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Tried this in the Deutsche-GAF thread with no takers. Who are the most prominent German football writers? I know of Raphael Honigstein from the Guardian and Uli Hesse, but they each write in English. Who are the most prominent football writers in German?

Moobabe

Sandro - Kante - Bakoyoko - Azpi
Van Dijk - Luiz - Cahill

Make it so.

I really don't see the need to spend the £100m+ it'll take to get those 2 guys in.

Granted, I haven't seen a huge amount of Sandro outside of the CL, but Van Dijk being £60m+? That's a joke.

I really hope we take a proper look at Ake and Christensen in the off season - both have proved they can do it at a good level, both still young with lots of room for development. And both will cost us nothing.

In truth some of the targets we've been supposedly looking at this window haven't filled me with confidence. Lukaku I'm still not convinced about - he doesn't hold the ball up well enough, doesn't run the channels, doesn't work hard - yet we're being quoted £70m+ for him?

Why not Morata, who's proved he can do it at the very highest level, has way better technique, a much smarter link up player and will cost much less.

I like Bakayoko, I like the Cabellero free transfer as well.

We do need competition with Alonso at LB, granted, and maybe Sandro is the best choice, but it seems like a huge amount of money for someone in that role.

We probably need another offensive player to supplement Willian, Hazard and Pedro as well - though I'm not sure what we've got in the youth system (outside of Lewis Baker and Loftus Cheek who needs to go on loan this year.

I'd like to see:

Out:

Matic - past his best, the FA cup final was a stark reminder of that
Begovic - gone with £8m in the bank
Traore - Always liked him, but maybe he wouldn't make the cut (linked with Lyon for £15m)
Costa - Sad as I would be to see him go, looks like he's on the way out

Out on loan:

Loftus Cheek - All the talent in the world, but needs games now - Brighton/Swansea/Newcastle would be a good fit
Abraham - Swansea
Kenedy - Would love to see him get a decent crack in the team, but my feeling is he won't. Would like to see a PL loan for him
Lewis Baker - Another I'd like to see given a shot, has done well in the U21s so far and, by all accounts, has had another good season in the Dutch league. A PL/CH move would be good

Keep:

Ake - The guy is a real talent. Good in the air, good on the ball, composed in defence. Played against Spurs in the semi final of the FA Cup and didn't put a foot wrong.

Christensen - Has been outstanding in Germany for 2 years. With Terry gone, Brana gone, Cahill in slow decline (and Azpi moving to RB) this is the chance to bring him into the team

We need options up front, and the young guys probably aren't ready yet. But at the back? Give them a chance.

Palace have settled on their choice of manager, and I guess this is one way you can announce that.

V25yM5Y.png

acohrs

I really don't see the need to spend the £100m+ it'll take to get those 2 guys in.

Granted, I haven't seen a huge amount of Sandro outside of the CL, but Van Dijk being £60m+? That's a joke.

I really hope we take a proper look at Ake and Christensen in the off season - both have proved they can do it at a good level, both still young with lots of room for development. And both will cost us nothing.

In truth some of the targets we've been supposedly looking at this window haven't filled me with confidence. Lukaku I'm still not convinced about - he doesn't hold the ball up well enough, doesn't run the channels, doesn't work hard - yet we're being quoted £70m+ for him?

Why not Morata, who's proved he can do it at the very highest level, has way better technique, a much smarter link up player and will cost much less.

We do need competition with Alonso at LB, granted, and maybe Sandro is the best choice, but it seems like a huge amount of money for someone in that role.

We probably need another offensive player to supplement Willian, Hazard and Pedro as well - though I'm not sure what we've got in the youth system (outside of Lewis Baker and Loftus Cheek who needs to go on loan this year.

I'd like to see:

Out:

Traore - Always liked him, but maybe he wouldn't make the cut (linked with Lyon for £15m)

Out on loan:

Loftus Cheek - All the talent in the world, but needs games now - Brighton/Swansea/Newcastle would be a good fit
Abraham - Swansea
Kenedy - Would love to see him get a decent crack in the team, but my feeling is he won't. Would like to see a PL loan for him
Lewis Baker - Another I'd like to see given a shot, has done well in the U21s so far and, by all accounts, has had another good season in the Dutch league. A PL/CH move would be good

Keep:

Ake - The guy is a real talent. Good in the air, good on the ball, composed in defence. Played against Spurs in the semi final of the FA Cup and didn't put a foot wrong.

Christensen - Has been outstanding in Germany for 2 years. With Terry gone, Brana gone, Cahill in slow decline (and Azpi moving to RB) this is the chance to bring him into the team

We need options up front, and the young guys probably aren't ready yet. But at the back? Give them a chance.

Think if Ake was going to be integrated into the team, it would have happened during the 2nd half of last season, sad but I think Ake will be sold soon.

Zouma will be sold or loaned out too, Chalobah will stay and maybe play once in a while but have a feeling Conte doesn't trust him anymore in tight games.

RLC hasn't developed at all since his first appearances in the first team, new mceachran I'd say.

Have some hopes for Christensen but will see how much he is used

edit: forgot about aina, think he's not rated either and will probably be loaned or sold soon. Can't think of any other youngsters that featured prominently last year OTOMH

Pachimari

It seems that there is a rumour about an exchange Bale - Veratti + money.

Just a tabloid rumor. We still stand by Bale, and there's no room for a midfielder like Veratti in our midfield. It is stacked with Kroos, Modric, Isco, Kovacic, Asensio, Casemiro and Llorente.

Atomic Odin

Hope we pay it too. Leave it another season and one of the top level clubs will snap him up. He has the potential to be world class.

Yeah. Rumours are that he has a potential release clause of €50M odd from next summer window onwards. Not sure how much truth in it but like you said Bayern/PSG etc will surely be in for him next season if we don't get a deal done this summer.

Chatter today is saying Keita is available, but for a huge sum, £70 mil. Conventional knowledge would dictate Liverpool need to make a choice between splurging on him or VVD, unless the choice has been made for us by Southampton's board. I dunno though, while I know he's highly highly rated in the Bundesliga our midfield is pretty stacked. Then again I'd like at least one incoming for the midfield. Don't forget about that defense Jürgen!

TimmmV

Would much rather that Keita is signed for £70m than VvD for £60m-70m, he looks ace

Guardian are saying United will sign Matic for £40m

That seems like quite a lot to me - and doesn't Herrera already do everything Matic does, only better?

CrayToes

With Hendo, Gini and Emre essentially all fighting for that same position next year, I feel like VVD, or a similarly priced CB, would be a far better purchase.

TeddyBoy

Guardian are saying United will sign Matic for £40m

That seems like quite a lot to me - and doesn't Herrera already do everything Matic does, only better?

I thought Matic and Mourinho didn't get on too well at Chelsea?

With Hendo, Gini and Emre essentially all fighting for that same position next year, I feel like VVD, or a similarly priced CB, would be a far better purchase.

I'd prefer the third option of signing a decent left back :(

sammex

Henderson has missed large chunks of the last two seasons with his persistent foot problem which meant we had to play Can through a long-term calf injury, as well as an ageing Lucas who isn't really good enough even as a backup as his mobility is gone (reason why he's been used as a CB). Milner isn't getting a chance in midfield. Grujic couldn't even get in the squad much because he had a long-term hamstring problem.

I defo think we've got room for another midfielder, and although I haven't seen him play myself, others who have say Keita is better than those three. We'll have more games to play next season being back in Europe too, so it makes sense. I also think a really top quality midfielder will win you more games than a high quality CB (as CB requires a good partnership to be the most effective).

Also in terms of CB - Matip and Lovren aren't actually that bad. It's the drop off in quality when it comes to Klavan or Lucas.

LFC concedes a whooping 1.92 goals per 100 minutes when Lucas is on the field. In the same time we concede only 1.10 goals per 100 minutes when Matip is playing. The problem is that no centre-back has played in more that two thirds of all minutes.

If Clyne, Lovren, Matip, Milner can be considered our starting back four – they have played together in just 28% of the minutes. It's important to note that Klopp has never subbed a centre-back out this season for reasons other than injury.

So whilst a VVD or Koulibaly would be great, another competent CB on a similar level to Matip/Lovren wouldn't be a disaster (if only Sakho hadn't pissed off Klopp...). Same goes for a LB. Save the money on going for a big talent like Mendy and get someone steady and reliable like Robertson from Hull. (Really we should have been all over Rodriguez before he went to Milan)

TimmmV

Will have more games next season with Europe, and it doesn't look like Henderson can be relied on for a whole season. Honestly, I think CM needs strengthening more than CBs do.

edit: I'm not confident that Can will sign a new contract either. Getting Keita this summer would cover that base if Can does leave next summer too

I thought Matic and Mourinho didn't get on too well at Chelsea?

Yah I heard the same too, that Matic was one of the traitors in Mourinhos last season, but idk really, guardian is usually pretty reliable ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'd like to see:

Out:

Out on loan:

Abraham - Swansea

Keep:

I pretty much agree. I would like to see Ake given a real chance but it's looking increasingly likely that he's going to go through our normal development process, which is to be sold at a young age and then bought back for five times the money a few years later.

Honestly my chief concern has never been our defense but up front. I'm fine with Costa leaving but I'm not crazy about Lukaku (especially at the rumored price) and it doesn't seem like we'll be getting Morata. I could absolutely see us overpaying for a 5th choice striker near the end of the summer and suffering for it.

Devil

Yeah. Rumours are that he has a potential release clause of €50M odd from next summer window onwards. Not sure how much truth in it but like you said Bayern/PSG etc will surely be in for him next season if we don't get a deal done this summer.

I don't think you'll need to be afraid of Bayern with Keita. They just bought Tolisso whos playing the same position and is around the same age for a lot of money.

Unless Tolisso flops and/or Vidal or Thiago leave for some unforeseeable reason.

casiopao

Considering how it really drag for Douglas Costa, i can see Juventus holding Sandro if that deal don't happen at all.

75 mil is crazy though. After all this 50 mil for Costa is being thrown around, i am kinda turning away from Costa here. I would rather Juventus tried to get Bernadeschi here. It should be a bit cheaper rather than Costa there.

And of course, Keita Balde also seems heavily linked to Juventus where he will stay in Lazio this year and next year, Juventus will get him for free.

Syder

If Swansea had been relegated they'd be snapping people's hands off for 25mil. I really like Sigurðsson but let's not go crazy now.

acohrs

Matic for 40mil?!

Saw a great comment elsewhere that said teams have given Chelsea 125million for Oscar, Ramires, and Matic. Crazy money

casiopao

PL money is literally breaking the market lol. Now even bottom team in PL is making as huge money as Juventus. Mamamia. Tx FIGC for how incompetent u guys can be.

sammex

Some interesting articles on Naby Keita

RB Leipzig stormed to the top of the Bundesliga with a playing style that's all their own

RB Leipzig has a roster of smart value signings with a spectacular midfield dynamo running the show.

Meet Liverpool target Naby Keita, the ambitious yet humble superstar whose shoulders RB Leipzig's success is built on

Such was his impact and influence after a €15m move from RB Salzburg last summer, you wonder whether Leipzig would have qualified for the Champions League without him

”The perfect fit for Klopp's Liverpool" – Bundesliga commentator on Naby Keita's qualities

Zasa

Sandro - Kante - Bakoyoko - Azpi
Van Dijk - Luiz - Cahill

Make it so.
Azpi is wasted at WB imo, definitely not offensive enough or dynamic enough for the position either. Especially considering how Conte likes his WB's.

VVD would rotate with Cahill & Luiz more than likely. Think Conte would prefer a left footed CB there as he always has in that position, imo. Plus, Azpi has been one of the best CB's in the league this season, no need to change his position now.

Beefy

Azpi is wasted at WB imo, definitely not offensive enough or dynamic enough for the position either. Especially considering how Conte likes his WB's.

VVD would rotate with Cahill & Luiz more than likely. Think Conte would prefer a left footed CB there as he always has in that position, imo. Plus, Azpi has been one of the best CB's in the league this season, no need to change his position now.

Van Dijk is happy with both feet.

------------

Can any Seria A followers tell me about Defrel? Apparently we are close to signing him.

Syder

FIFA have just released the entire Garcia Report on their website
The new chairpersons of the independent Ethics Committee, Maria Claudia Rojas of the investigatory chamber and Vassilios Skouris of the adjudicatory chamber, have decided to publish the Report on the Inquiry into the 2018/2022 FIFA World Cup Bidding Process (the so-called ”Garcia Report").

This had been called for on numerous occasions by FIFA President Gianni Infantino in the past and also supported by the FIFA Council since its meeting in Mexico City in May 2016. Despite these regular requests, it is worth noting that the former chairpersons of the Ethics Committee, Cornel Borbély and Hans-Joachim Eckert, had always refused to publish it.

The Ethics Committee will meet in its full composition under the new chairpersons for the first time next week, and it was already planned to use this opportunity to discuss the publication of the report. However, as the document has been illegally leaked to a German newspaper, the new chairpersons have requested the immediate publication of the full report (including the reports on the Russian and US bid teams, which were conducted by Mr Borbély alone) in order to avoid the dissemination of any misleading information.

For the sake of transparency, FIFA welcomes the news that this report has now been finally published.

Top Bottom