• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MAME 0.131 - Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur now working!

Demigod Mac

It finally happened! Tekken Tag Tournament and Soul Calibur work in MAME with the latest release. They still have some minor graphical and sound glitches, but are fully playable.

http://www.mamedev.org/

The Dreamcast and PS2 versions put the arcade editions to shame, but they still have a certain nostalgic charm to them. They run on the Namco System 12 board, which is essentially an upgraded Playstation 1.

Did anyone play Soul Calibur in the arcades long before it came to Dreamcast? I was floored by it even then. ("Whoa! Their hair actually blows in the wind!?") Also, the framerate was significantly smoother than the choppy Soul Edge, making the overall look of the game quite amazing for the time.

6f4jfn.jpg

9ks3cx.jpg

Xav

I think there are some people out there that prefer the arcade version of Tekken Tag but pretty much everyone agrees that the Dreamcast versin of SoulCalibur destroys the arcade version.

StuBurns

Banned
Soul Calibur looks like ass. I know I'm probably wrong, but I seem to remember Soul Blade looking better than that.

Xav

karasu said:
Who the hell is Arthur?
He replaced Mitsurugi in countries that discouraged samurai imagery and references. He returns in SoulCalibur III as one of the bonus characters.

xemumanic

sprocket said:
probably because you played them on interlaced crt monitors in the arcade

Gotta go in the system menu for Tekken Tag and disable the interlace mode. It'll look much better then.

Soul Calibur was working a while ago, Tekken Tag started working I think this release.

a Master Ninja said:
What countries are anti-samurai?

Wiki says: In the Korean version of the game, Mitsurugi was replaced by a Caucasian swordsman named Arthur because the image of the samurai was not very popular with Koreans.

I've come across versions of soul calibur in US arcades that used Arthur instead of mitsurugi, but they weren't very common. Apparently there was a "World" release of the arcade game where he replaced Mitsurugi as well.

Demigod Mac

Manmademan said:
Wiki says: In the Korean version of the game, Mitsurugi was replaced by a Caucasian swordsman named Arthur because the image of the samurai was not very popular with Koreans.

I've come across versions of soul calibur in US arcades that used Arthur instead of mitsurugi, but they weren't very common. Apparently there was a "World" release of the arcade game where he replaced Mitsurugi as well.

the arcade machine I first played it on was one of those. I thought he was Mitsurugi wearing a disguise. :lol

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
That's cool, I suppose, but when are they going to get the Midway Zeus II games working? I have a hankering to play some Cruis'n Exotica for some reason.

Eiji

Use PSXMAME for PSX CPU based games like Tekken Tag and Soul Calibur because it allows 3D filtering.

lRPuNYYM59.jpg

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Tatsumaki Senpuukyaku! said:
When are they going to emulate NBA Showtime? Or have they?
Last I checked, it's not emulated, although some of the other 3DFX games are (San Francisco Rush is emulated).

Top Bottom