• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

I always like the servant of Yogg saron brawls. They are the right kind of stupid for a few games.

Yeah it's a fun way to get a pack. Easy to do too.

Rank 10 should take about an hour with Pirate Warrior.

You laugh, but it took me an hour to get from rank 15 to rank 13 on Sunday. If Pirate Warrior doesn't get the ideal draw for a couple of turns you're outta luck.

So many games where I've been in lethal range but can't clinch it out because of taunts and such.

Fuck yeah. 1st time ever getting to rank 5. Feels good. Here are the decks that did the heaviest lifting

17-14- Quest Mage, Quest Warrior
14-11- Face Hunter
11-8- Quest Rogue, Ramp Druid (not a lot of decks running answers for this one, face hunter was the toughest matchup it had)
8-5- Midrange Murlocadin

Fuck yeah. 1st time ever getting to rank 5. Feels good. Here are the decks that did the heaviest lifting

17-14- Quest Mage, Quest Warrior
14-11- Face Hunter
11-8- Quest Rogue, Ramp Druid (not a lot of decks running answers for this one, face hunter was the toughest matchup it had)
8-5- Midrange Murlocadin

That's a solid mix.

Is the Face Hunter the one with Knife Juggler and UTH? That was hilarious to me the first time I ran into it.

Ladekabel

Don't think I ever got a brawl pack this fast.

C-XUsEEWsAERLbN

Yeah it's a fun way to get a pack. Easy to do too.

You laugh, but it took me an hour to get from rank 15 to rank 13 on Sunday. If Pirate Warrior doesn't get the ideal draw for a couple of turns you're outta luck.

So many games where I've been in lethal range but can't clinch it out because of taunts and such.

I won't laugh - I actually go about 50/50 with Pirate Warrior, and I think it's because I'm just not very good at playing aggro. My desire to trade is too strong. I'm definitely a control and tempo player by nature.

Blizzard

Banned
I won't laugh - I actually go about 50/50 with Pirate Warrior, and I think it's because I'm just not very good at playing aggro. My desire to trade is too strong. I'm definitely a control and tempo player by nature.
Like I said before, if you want to watch someone lose Pirate warrior at rank 13 then just spectate me. :p I've recognized mistakes in a couple of games today, but I'm still extremely unreliable.

I'd love to play midrange Paladin, but I need 900 more dust for Pirate Warrior and 4800+ more dust for midrange Paladin.

And that's AFTER spending like $60 on the game and playing almost daily for months.

There are definitely some moments where I'm sweating because if they trade board with me I lose, but then they go face and I hit them for 12 off a weapon :D

But yeah, Pirate Warrior has to be a race to hit face as hard as you can. You basically only trade when you absolutely need to or have an inkling that if you leave a 3-3 Priest card it'll end up being a 15-15 Priest card by next turn.

My #1 misplay is using weapon before using my charge pirate. Every time lol.

Lyng

Like I said before, if you want to watch someone lose Pirate warrior at rank 13 then just spectate me. :p I've recognized mistakes in a couple of games today, but I'm still extremely unreliable.

I'd love to play midrange Paladin, but I need 900 more dust for Pirate Warrior and 4800+ more dust for midrange Paladin.

And that's AFTER spending like $60 on the game and playing almost daily for months.

The aggro version of murloc paladin is a lot cheaper and I honestly think it's just as good, and you win faster.

Blizzard

Banned
In two games, the Brawl has:

1. In both games, destroyed my first minion with a self-targeted spell despite there being other targets available.
2. Doubled an enemy's HP.
3. Given an enemy +4 attack.

Literally the only time I think it's benefitted me is freezing an enemy who could have only done 1 damage by attacking. Paladin also seems AWFUL to play, since you get a ton of 6-9 mana minions and both enemies have been Rogue for cheap minions, so you just die before you can play them.

Lyng

As you say, that just looks like the normal midrange deck. I'm missing Tarim, Tirion, and Finja.

Finja is not that important. Tarim is insane though and Tirion is...well Tirion!

The thing is, these decks destroy Pirate warrior, so it's quiet difficult to rank as pirate right now.

I've been playing for over a year, put in $200, and I still can't make a Paladin deck.

There are definitely some moments where I'm sweating because if they trade board with me I lose, but then they go face and I hit them for 12 off a weapon :D

But yeah, Pirate Warrior has to be a race to hit face as hard as you can. You basically only trade when you absolutely need to or have an inkling that if you leave a 3-3 Priest card it'll end up being a 15-15 Priest card by next turn.

My #1 misplay is using weapon before using my charge pirate. Every time lol.
I'm much better at playing patient and conserving resources. Cards like the Warlock Quest excite me because it has endless resources.

Cant believe I had to spend 800 dust for 1 drop

such a bs

?

Not a bad pull, if I do say so:

Didn't have Open The Waygate, so I'll take it. This'll probably be my last pack of the expansion too, as I'm gonna start saving gold for the next one. Quite a way to go out!

Vilefin Inquisitor, maybe? I wouldn't feel too bad about it though. Between Warleader, Tidecaller, Gentle Megasaur and Tarim, you can get a lot of value out of those cute li'l guys!

patchday

yeah right now I am rank 7 I think. I was in a good mood but then I stepped into this Brawl and lost 5 in a row til I won. Very salty and really dont want to see this game for a few days

but something inside me wants to push on. will probably take a break after this season ends tho. and make sure to avoid the 100% rng brawl going forward. When I was a noob I loved these things cause my collection sucked. but nowadays I have a really good collection and can usually craft what I really want to play....

man i better not play right this second I'm so tilted.... Thank you Brawl for pissing me off so hard

In one turn of Brawl, my Hero Power turned from the Paladin one, to Shadow Form, to Fireblast, to Dinomancy. I guess I just can't make up my mind on what class to play!

Then I got Shadow Form again, into Renounce Darkness. This has been a fun match.

KuroNeeko

As you say, that just looks like the normal midrange deck. I'm missing Tarim, Tirion, and Finja.

You're absolutely going to need two Warleaders, Megasaurs, and Vilefin Inquisitors as well.

Even without the three legends, it's not that cheap a deck. Honestly, I wouldn't go with the Midrange deck--you're missing too many key cards. I'm only missing Wicker and Tarim and I still don't feel like I can play the deck.

I'd go with Newton's list from the same site instead. You still need the epics, but you can probably do without Finja and Tarim. Maybe a Protector or Spikeridge Steed...

Or you can try disco zoo as well.

You're absolutely going to need two Warleaders, Megasaurs, and Vilefin Inquisitors as well.

Even without the three legends, it's not that cheap a deck. Honestly, I wouldn't go with the Midrange deck--you're missing too many key cards. I'm only missing Wicker and Tarim and I still don't feel like I can play the deck.

I'd go with Newton's list from the same site instead. You still need the epics, but you can probably do without Finja and Tarim. Maybe a Protector or Spikeridge Steed...

Or you can try disco zoo as well.

I personally go with the uh, Paladin Horse piece instead of Finja. Maybe I should replace him to tirion, but I"ve gotten clutch results from healing along with getting a spell

patchday

yeah paladin deck can cost. I had to craft all my pally cards (Tirion & Taram & 1 x vilefin)- granted crafted tirion months ago. not bothering with rag lightlord

This meta has changed me in a weird way. before I didnt care for paladin much (and hated control warrior). Now I play both sometimes and invested dust into both decks.

I love playing Control so my excuse CW has always been a natural choice. plus now I find i can kill users of this deck easier since I know the various variations and how to play it

Didn't have Open The Waygate, so I'll take it. This'll probably be my last pack of the expansion too, as I'm gonna start saving gold for the next one. Quite a way to go out!

my buddy started saving asap I guess and I just started saving a few days ago after finally hitting pity timer. I find my happiness point is 120 packs so figure I better start saving now. I opened 104 ungoro packs on launch day and still felt I needed 20 more packs to fill out my collection.

edit- still missing the off meta stuff like Umbra & Hemet. also missing pyros which was always if-fy for me. but got all the meta legends (I think)

KuroNeeko

Just hit rank 5 for the first time ever!

I'm not sure if it's just because of the new meta or because the new set has made playing fun again, but I played a lot this month! I hope I get a gold Cabal Shadow Priest or Shadow Visions.

Progression went something like this:

20-15: Quest / Deathrattle / Dragon Priest
15-9: Secret Mage
9-5: Dragon Priest

I like the new iteration of Dragon Priest despite not being a fan of the archtype in the past. I think the big stars of the deck are Potion of Madness, DragOP, Twilight Drake, and Dragonfire Potion (duh).

Historians were almost always for DragOPs, though I went for Bookwyrms depending on the match-up.

Speaking of, lots of different kinds of decks. LOTS of Quest Rogue in 10+, which was slowly replaced with Miracle the higher up I went.

I didn't see much Warrior, but when I did it was usually Taunt (and one C'thun...wtf?)

LOTS of Hunter around 12~8.

Only about three games against Warlock--two zoo, one control.

A decent amount of Priest and the archtypes were varied.

The closer I got to rank 5, the more Paladin I started seeing. My last five matches or so were all against Paladin--almost all of the Murloc variety, though I did see one Elemental Buff Paladin (looked fun).

Not sure if I want to try to Legend with 3.5 days left. Might be better to just meme around for a bit or catch up on some Shadowverse before the end of the season.

Overall, I've had a lot of fun this expansion. It's nice that they're planning on releasing two more, so hopefully the meta will keep feeling fresh. I think Quest Rogue needs to be addressed, not so much because it's powerful, but because of the type of experiences it creates.

Plus...yo, where'd all the Shamen go? ^^;

patchday

Hm, my Win rate still above 55% on all my fav decks but still seems like it takes a lot of games to get to rank 5? I'm right bout to cross over into rank 6 soon. but Blizzard got lots of promotions happening in Overwatch & HoTS. so tough to split my time between these games

trying to look at various charts and see how long it takes to hit rank 5. I'm at rank 7 right now (with almost just 1-2 stars to face final boss). all my fav decks I'm at least 55% win rate or better. maybe just a few more hrs I can cross over into rank 5 I guess...

My latest experiment in Wild: Grinder Quest Mage.

The opponent was a Quest Warrior that got his quest on turn 8.

huh I wonder how you made an entire army of arcane giants? I guess echo of mediveh / manic caster / duplicate wonders

Lyng

I think the thing that makes priest and quest rogue feel horrible to loose to, is that it never feels like the match was decided by skill. Quest Rogue is decided by draw (also there are a TON of horrible players trying to pilot it below rank 5)
And priest is more often then not decided by what cards they stole from you and whether or not their random stuff gives them what they need or not.

Neither is OP or anything, just badly designed.

KuroNeeko

I think the thing that makes priest and quest rogue feel horrible to loose to, is that it never feels like the match was decided by skill. Quest Rogue is decided by draw (also there are a TON of horrible players trying to pilot it below rank 5)
And priest is more often then not decided by what cards they stole from you and whether or not their random stuff gives them what they need or not.

Neither is OP or anything, just badly designed.

If you go down that route, then you better include Miracle Rogue as well. The Swashbucklers and Hallucinates can swing a game just as much as Priest.

It's not like Priest has that much (relevant) steal these days. Almost no one is running Thoughtsteal or the 4/3 Shade. Very few lists run the 1/1 either. Cabal Shadow Priest is on the fringe--it's only relevant in stealing stuff from Taunt Warrior. No one runs Mind Control.

The only methods they have of "stealing" (I'd say copying) that are seeing play right now are Dragon Operative and Curious Glimmeroot. DragOP is OP. Yeah. Glimmeroot though is less so as you don't get to choose a card--you only get what is given to you. I still play it though because it gives me a turn three play that doesn't negatively impact my Twilight Drake AND gives me information into what kind of deck my opponent is playing.

I think the whole "steal" thing is pretty overblown at this point, especially in today's meta unless you're playing a greedy control deck against an even greedier priest deck.

Oh, yeah, I guess you could make an argument for Potion of Madness, which has been an MVP in Dragon Priest, but I think the card is necessary in that it is one of the few significant ways that a Priest can interact with the board before turn three.

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of Priest, I got a lucky win streak and hit rank 12. That's when I promptly discovered that rank 12 is horrible to play in:

priesth0xz4.png

Between Netherspite -> DrakOP chains, mind control potions, health doubling, Thoughtsteal, lots of shadow words, and general healing, there are so many annoying and/or RNG mechanics.

And I say that even though I got lucky cards and won most of these.

KuroNeeko

Speaking of Priest, I got a lucky win streak and hit rank 12. That's when I promptly discovered that rank 12 is horrible to play in:

priesth0xz4.png

Between Netherspite -> DrakOP chains, mind control potions, health doubling, Thoughtsteal, lots of shadow words, and general healing, there are so many annoying and/or RNG mechanics.

And I say that even though I got lucky cards and won most of these.

C'mon, mayne.

This is coming from the class that has Fiery Win Axe and the one-mana removal spell that was so good they had to nerf it to two mana?

What is a Priest going to Thoughsteal--your pirates? If the guy is spending three mana on turn three to TS you, then you've probably won. If they're spending three mana on turn 10 to TS, then you've already lost. lol

As for healing, again, they're usually not healing their board which means they're healing their face. Your hero ability "heals" for two as well.

The stuff you're complaining about doesn't really make a difference in your match-up--the exceptions being DragOP and Potion of Madness.

I don't know if this is the case any more or not, but if a Priest wants to beat Aggro, they can spec specifically against it very well at the expense diminished performance against other decks.

Pirate Warrior has positive or neutral match-ups against every mainstream form of Priest in the Meta (as shown by your posted results). So what exactly are you complaining about again?

New murloc pally looks sweet but sweet Jesus I'd have to pay for 2x of the adapt beasts, one more vilefin, and Tarim, 2800 dust for one gimmick deck lol. Tarim is a no brainer eventually but these epics, shit!

Blizzard

Banned
I very much dislike those mechanics and playing against them. That's a personal opinion.

As was discussed recently in the thread, it feels annoying to play against, as can quest rogue. I may win against quest rogue most of the time, but I can understand how some people would hate the experience.

KuroNeeko

I very much dislike those mechanics and playing against them. That's a personal opinion.

As was discussed recently in the thread, it feels annoying to play against, as can quest rogue. I may win against quest rogue most of the time, but I can understand how some people would hate the experience.

I guess you can take pleasure in the fact that 1) most Priests don't want to Thoughtsteal your (PW) stuff either and 2) most Priests hate the Pirate Warrior match-up (or love it, if they're teched against it). Some people may hate greedy priests, but I'd say the number of people who hate Pirate Warrior is comparable...at least it was last expansion before the new boogeyman (Quest Rogue) rose up to take it's place.If anything, we can be united in our common hate of Quest Rogues. lol

edit: TBH, I don't really mind Pirate Warriors these days. It's more of an eye roll than anything and at least it ends quickly (unlike Taunt Warrior). Quest Rogue is probably the archtype I hate the most right now.

New murloc pally looks sweet but sweet Jesus I'd have to pay for 2x of the adapt beasts, one more vilefin, and Tarim, 2800 dust for one gimmick deck lol. Tarim is a no brainer eventually but these epics, shit!

At least you can take some satisfaction knowing that some sucke...er, players will have to pay 400 dust a pop to craft the one drop that eats your Murlocs.

Lol yeah I've got a crab and I'd def use it for the mirror. But that's so much dust for a gimmick deck, I probs shouldn't do it lol. I think I'll just stick with the murloc shaman quest in wild where you really don't need the adapt beast since you have everyfin is awesome anyway. I wish they gave you a discount like, if you needed two epics you could make them at once for 700 or something, I'm not spending a legendaries worth of dust for some pickups that'll only fit one deck

BashNasty

my buddy started saving asap I guess and I just started saving a few days ago after finally hitting pity timer. I find my happiness point is 120 packs so figure I better start saving now. I opened 104 ungoro packs on launch day and still felt I needed 20 more packs to fill out my collection.

You almost certainly didn't "hit the pity timer", you just naturally opened a legendary. I find it funny how much stock people seem to put into the pity timer despite it being a thing that you have to be really, really, really, really unlucky to see. I had a buddy say how bummed he was that he opened a classic legendary before he started to open his Ungoro packs because that reset his pity timer, but the reality is that that doesn't mean anything. You're much, much, much more likely to open a legendary naturally than you are to ever have blizzard take mercy on you.

Sande

What the fuuuu...

Nothing but quest warriors at rank 16.

I'm just getting back into the game, have absolutely no Ungoro (or Gadgetzan for that matter) cards and all my decks are obsolete. But yeah, keep matching me up against the ultimate no fun allowed deck (or that's definitely what it feels like).

cHinzo

Not a bad pull, if I do say so:

Vilefin Inquisitor, maybe? I wouldn't feel too bad about it though. Between Warleader, Tidecaller, Gentle Megasaur and Tarim, you can get a lot of value out of those cute li'l guys!

Noice pack.

I refuse to craft a Vilefin Inquisitor. 800 dust is no joke and for the price of 2 of em u can craft a Tarim lol.

patchday

You almost certainly didn't "hit the pity timer", you just naturally opened a legendary.

whatever you want to call it--- I finally got another legendary so started saving for next expac was my point :)

Noice pack.

I refuse to craft a Vilefin Inquisitor. 800 dust is no joke and for the price of 2 of em u can craft a Tarim lol.

he feels worth it I guess. why choose? Use yer dust to craft a vilefin and a tarim like me :)

I just like to play a lot of meta decks so want a complete set

Top Bottom