• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lunar series: What's the difference between the Psx and Sega Cd versions?

goldenpp72

So recently the possibility of picking up some Sega Cd games came up, and I realized I actually have no clue about what i'd want on the system. Does anyone know how the Lunar series is on both consoles and, if there is a definitive best version and why? Any reason to care about the Sega Cd ones if you can access the Psx versions?

B.K.

Any reason to care about the Sega Cd ones if you can access the Psx versions?

I haven't played it myself, but the Sega CD version apparently has a lot of story and subplots that were cut when the game was rewritten for the PS1.

Vice

The Sega CD versions are harder iirc. Less humorous translations on Sega CD. The PSX versions changed some story details, for the better imo, better quality music and more cut scenes.

Edit: SSSC has no random battles.

Sophia

I haven't played it myself, but the Sega CD version apparently has a lot of story and subplots that were cut when the game was rewritten for the PS1.

The Sega CD version handles some of the reveals better too.

Edit:

The Sega CD versions are harder iirc. Less humorous translations on Sega CD. The PSX versions changed some story details, for the better imo, better quality music and more cut scenes.

I'd have to disagree with the better quality music, given there's a very noticeable decrease in the quality. The Sega CD renditions are redbook audio and topnotch. Dat original battle theme.

goldenpp72

So there isn't really a for sure better version, I figured the ps1 version would be the same with new content. Hopefully more details can be listed as i've never played either yet.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Sega CD version last boss makes a certain characters appearance make more sense in part 2 unlike the ps1 versions.

Honestly though, play the ps1 versions for sure.

B.K.

So there isn't really a for sure better version, I figured the ps1 version would be the same with new content.

They aren't the same. When the PS1 version was first released by Working Designs, I believe they said that 85% of the game's script was completely rewritten.

Eusis

PS1 version of Lunar 1 is almost entirely different. It's more like a full blown reboot than an update, though the basic story is still the same so it's not to the level of something like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories here. Actually, probably a solid comparison is the difference between Ys III and Ys: Oath in Felghana, though Lunar Silver Star Story goes a few steps further.

Lunar 2, on the other hand, is MUCH closer to the original as far as I recall, some of the cutscenes can easily be seen as updated versions of what was in the original unlike Lunar 1 which pretty much shared nothing. There were nevertheless some new scenes added and one (filler) plotline cut, not to mention gameplay wise it was a complete do over.

The difference is that the PSX versions had the best box sets ever and I love my punching puppet ^_^

PSX also has the better script and overall quality.

Zee-Row

Banned
The thing I hated about the Sega CD Lunar games were that THE TEXT WERE TYPED IN CAPS LIKE THIS SO EVERY CONVERSATION HAD TO SOUND EXCITING!

I pretty much owe being a gamer to Lunar SSSC. I bought a PS1 for it because I saw a special feature for it in EGM. First console I bought, might never have gotten one if it weren't for Lunar. Now I'm studying to work in the industry.

So I guess I owe my future career options to Vireland and the team at Working Designs. GGs, guys.

are you going to make this a LTTP because I've had Lunar Eternal Blue PS1 for awhile now and haven't played it. Played the first one years ago(GBA, PSP, then PS1).

Saroyan

Maybe it was just my Sega CD, but the Lunar games would sometimes hang and I would have to tap on the top of the CD door to get the disc spinning again, hehe. My playstation never had that issue.

Eric C

Sega CD version of Lunar 1 is a bit harder, has random battles... and while the PSX version had some additions to the plot and more animated cut scenes I feel some secrets were revealed better on the Sega CD version... I also feel some of the motivations for some characters were better on the Sega CD version.

Lunar 2 plot wise both versions are nearly identical. PSX version obviously has more animated cut scenes. Sega CD version had harder dungeons and bosses. I don't think it really matters which version of this one you play, if you prefer a somewhat harder game go with the Sega CD version, if you want more cut scenes go for the PSX version.

STRONGLY disagree. The Sega CD Lunar 1 had the better music. The music on the Sega CD version was actual CD music, playable on any CD player.

I've tried multiple times to play the PSX iterations of Silver Star but I just can't do it =(

Sega CD Lunar will always be the one and only for me <3

also, Example of superior music

I was just thinking the same thing. While I own the PS1 remakes, they are lacking a certain something that the Sega CD ones had. I much prefer the sega CD soundtrack of Lunar 1 compared to the PS1 version. That overworld theme brings back a lot of memories.

Another vote for the Sega CD version...

Take my vote with a grain of salt. They are different, neither is a clear winner, they both have there perks. That being said they are not different enough to play both versions. Considering I played the Sega CD version first, the PSX one wasn't different enough for me to finish. It wasn't bad. I do prefer the harder difficulty of the Sega CD version though.

I'd go with whatever was less expensive while favoring Sega CD version in the case of a tie.

Sadly I never played the Sega CD versions, but the PS1 editions are amazing. Some of my favorite games of all time.

Someday I'll have the Sega CD versions. Someday.

IrishNinja

bishopcruz often goes on about plot changes in relation to Ghaleon's motives - the black dragon, the goddess, etc. i forget the specifics but they do change things a great deal if you think about them.

CO_Andy

As someone who played the PS1 version first, i didn't enjoy the Sega CD as much as i would of liked.

Horrible dungeon design, little music variety (what's there is good though), bland characters (no witty banters, or exposition behind your party members), lol final boss form, short ending, high random enemy encounter rate, no descriptions behind magic spells, Genesis color palette, little voice acting, enemy encounters on the world map...

Sega CD version is the one I love most. I must have finished it at least 10 times. For some reason the PS1 version just didn't click with me. It's probably more palatable by today's standards, but it kind of felt like when Hollywood remakes one of your favorite films.

I feel like this game has so many versions...I don't know anything about any of them aside from the PSX version, which I played, beat, and loved.

I prefer the Sega CD version, but still really loved the PS1 version. Just don't play the GBA version. :x

I own the PSX version, but the GBA version is the only one I've played. I loved it! (Being extra easy by replenishing health when saving and reloading a game scored it some points in my book!)

Played the sea cd version forever ago, and the psx version when it hit. My memory of the Sega CD version is a bit hazy, but I remember preferring the psx version better.

Sophia

Just picked up the DS game for cheap.

Yeah, it's awful.

The DS game isn't what we're referring to in these threads. And yeah, the DS game is awful. :p

Speaking of awful....

I own the PSX version, but the GBA version is the only one I've played. I loved it! (Being extra easy by replenishing health when saving and reloading a game scored it some points in my book!)

Ugh, that's a poor man's version of the PS1 game. ><;

Sega CD version is the one I love most. I must have finished it at least 10 times. For some reason the PS1 version just didn't click with me. It's probably more palatable by today's standards, but it kind of felt like when Hollywood remakes one of your favorite films.

Yeah, seemed like it was remade for the younger crowd but the original still stands tall.

I liked the boss battles in the Sega CD version of Lunar 2 a lot more. Some of them were like puzzles that you had to figure out how to solve. Requiring points to save was really dumb though.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The changes from The Silver Star --> Silver Star Story are much more significant than Eternal Blue --> Eternal Blue Complete.

Possible spoilers:

Silver Star Story changes (that I can think of off the top of my head)

- No random battles on world map
- Different music
- Quark first makes Alex undergo a small trial before giving over the "diamond" (Sega CD no trial that I recall)
- Weird Woods covered in fog preventing passage to Saith. (In Sega CD a bridge was out and you had to find an ax for the Carpenter to rebuild it.)
- Meet Nash in front of the house of the old woman (Sega CD you meet him in Saith in the boathouse)
- Boss added to the ship (Sega CD had no boss here)
- Luna joins at the last minute to go on the boat to Meribia (Sega CD version she stays behind)
- Meet Royce and Phacia (Sega CD they don't exist)
- Dross steals diamond and you first seek Mel's help (in original you just go after him yourself without asking for help if I recall correctly). There is no duel with Mel
- Luna meets Ghaleon in Vane (Sega CD she didn't join you)
- Silver Mirror no longer needed to enter the Tower with Mia (but metal equipment is now useless)
- Ghaleon captures Quark
(Sega CD he kills him)
- Burg citizens not captured and forced to work on Grindary (Sega CD imposter parents are left behind, mini-boss fight).
- Ghaleon and crew still capturing girls despite being told by Quark that Luna was the one (wtf plot hole)
- No turtle ride to Damon's Tower (and no special song requirement either)
- Singing to unlock Blue Dragon Cave (Sega CD does not happen)
- Nash does not betray in Blue Dragon's Cave, but later (Sega CD he betrays at Blue Dragon's Cave, returns almost immediately)
- Alex and co. Fight Black Dragon, do not kill him (Sega CD they kill him and Ghaleon taunts them)
- Sword of Althena is in Burg at Dyne's Monument
(Sega CD Sword of Althena is located at Althena's Tower, Dragon Trial must be passed)
- Nall "figures out" he's a white dragon at Dyne's Monument (Sega CD he's told in
Althena's Tower by Dragon Angels).
- Ghaleon only has one form (Sega CD has two forms)
- Small playable epilogue present (Sega CD does not)

Tizoc

Say I've been meaning to ask, are the PSP ver. of the Lunar games worth getting or the overall best version of the games?

urfe

Any reason to care about the Sega Cd ones if you can access the Psx versions?

Yes, because they're different. I think discussing which is better is fruitless. As long as you're playing the PSX and Sega CD versions (as opposed to the GBA and PSP versions), then you're in for a great time. Go for it!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Say I've been meaning to ask, are the PSP ver. of the Lunar games worth getting or the overall best version of the games?

Well, only Silver Star Story was ported to the PSP, and the only thing better about it is the quality of the sound for the music (some live samples mixed with much better synth). PSP has way more loading times and is way too easy.

I'm biased because I love the original Sega CD version better (story had a little more teeth in places, no massive gaping plot holes), but others will swear by Silver Star Story so it's hard to say. I say Sega CD, but I imagine PSX is easier to get a hold of.

Top Bottom