• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT8| ConFuchsia say beta is better

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
XAxaV.gif
....is it worth $849 though? Mind you, I'm buying as well but you're demanding sky high prices with middling components. Maybe you're ok with that though.

e90Mark

Good reviews, glad to see the phone doing consistently well between blogs. The V30 screen issues were probably my biggest worry.

My XL2 is coming next week.

I appreciate it when people try to downplay hyperbolic statements, but with prices like these, I wouldn't accept anything but a perfect screen. "Solid", "fine" or "decent" doesn't really cut it when the starting price is 939€. I'm not saying that it isn't a good screen, but that shit needs to get an A+ rating on DisplayMate or something to justify that price.

....is it worth $849 though? Mind you, I'm buying as well but you're demanding sky high prices with middling components. Maybe you're ok with that though.
I understand. The phone should fire on all cylinders.

Looking into getting a new phone. I am looking at the samsung galaxy s7. I don't know much about phones so can anyone help me? Currently I have a family plan with others with t-mobile and my phone is a samsung galaxy s5. Do I just buy the hardware or what? Anything else I should know? What about sim card,etc?

NotBacon

....is it worth $849 though?

If the phone was questionable already then obviously a non-top-tier screen would probably disqualify it.
But considering the screen is the weakest link in a well-rounded phone with many flagship qualities, and it's not even bad (just not the best), then yes of course it's worth a flagship price.

Chances of Pixel squeeze function being customized to turn on flashlight....?

I love my Moto chop to flashlight. Really like having a quick gesture for that.

The Ummah

Banned
Needed a new phone, and I'm not ready to spend $400+ for one currently...

My Honor 6X will be here tomorrow! Upgrading from a Blu Life XL. As you can tell, not exactly into the extravagant phones but I figure that this will do the job for me.

I like the chop too, even if it takes a few tries sometimes. Sadly, no re-mapping for the squeeze at the moment. I do think
hope
this is something that will change though

One of my favorite little things about Moto phones, wish it was in more Android phones since it's such a good idea.

Unfortunately it's countered for me since my Z Play doesn't have a notification LED, which has been a chore to get used to coming off of my S7. I think there's a way to use the charging light as a notification LED, but I'd need to root it and I don't really want to.

hitgirl

Real tempted to pre order the 5" pixel 2.. I wonder how long until there's a Pure Nexus version for it.. I know they are working on it right now. Just not ready to give up my rooted and custom rom nexus 5X yet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Fuck Pentile, seriously. I was almost going to pull the trigger on a Tab S2 until I found this out. Once was enough with that pile of garbage.

If you have a high res screen you won't really notice.

It's an issue on cheap 1080p displays cause you're functionally getting something closer to 720p in real world view.

On all of the high end displays that are 1440p and such from Samsung and LG you won't notice.

Even on a bigger tablet screen you should be fine.

If you have a high res screen you won't really notice.

It's an issue on cheap 1080p displays cause you're functionally getting something closer to 720p in real world view.

On all of the high end displays that are 1440p and such from Samsung and LG you won't notice.

Even on a bigger tablet screen you should be fine.

What kind of PPI would I need to not notice it? The 8" Tab S2 has a PPI of 320.

hitgirl

Real tempted to pre order the 5" pixel 2.. I wonder how long until there's a Pure Nexus version for it.. I know they are working on it right now. Just not ready to give up my rooted and custom rom nexus 5X yet.

Actually at this point I'd probably just run official software with Magisk root for adaway.

I'm looking to replace my Android phone, would I be better off going for the Galaxy s8+ or a Pixel 2 XL? Along those lines is there a phone with a better screen than the Galaxy? Also, is the Galaxy the same device regardless of where it is purchased? I thought I remember the Asian versions in previous years had different processors or something along those lines.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
In the US, galaxy phones come with Snapdragon chips. Everywhere else it comes with their own Exynos chip.

llehuty

Needed a new phone, and I'm not ready to spend $400+ for one currently...

My Honor 6X will be here tomorrow! Upgrading from a Blu Life XL. As you can tell, not exactly into the extravagant phones but I figure that this will do the job for me.

Got my Honor 6X and I'm quite satisfied with it. Not really into customization or anything, but I feel like the Huawei OS is very serviceable as it is. Phone can lag a bit sometime when opening the camera,, but that's the only issue for me. Phone camera is more than ok for the price I think (quite shit with low light, but what's new?)

I believe the reason they use the snapdragon chips in the US is due to the LTE bands they support. Usually the Exynos chip get better battery life and performance. Here's an article explaining the differences:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11540/samsung-galaxy-s8-exynos-versus-snapdragon/6

Interesting. Any thoughts on if the Galaxy S8 has the best screen of any Android phones or is there another device I should be considering? I'm currently thinking about cancelling my Pixel 2 Xl order and going with the Galaxy.

The gesture to boot flashlight or camera are a solution to problems I never knew I had. I just it on a daily basis, it's crazy.

I wish other manufacturers made these kinds of options standard. So practical.

I need to buy a phone as early as saturday. I can finally say goodbye to my garbage Oppo F3.
I'm choosing between the Mate 10 Lite/Nova 2i or Moto G5S Plus. Roughly same price of $300. Both have dual cams but I don't really take a lot of pics. The Moto is good, stock android but that bezel and there's no physical store here in my place.
I'm leaning on the Mate 10 Lite/Nova 2i

wilflare

kinda just wanna get a Pixel 2016 to use as a proxy to upload photos (seems like it's lifetime original resolution free upload and storage)

Pixel 2 XL is coming to Singapore... but it's limited to only 64GB ugh

Vanillalite

What kind of PPI would I need to not notice it? The 8" Tab S2 has a PPI of 320.

that should already be enough from tablet viewing distance.

This.

And for the record I was one of the OGs that preferred LCD for a while over AMOLED in this thread cause the pentile was annoying AF.

With crazy high res screens though it's a non issue and AMOLED especially from Samsung is top tier.

These Google Assistant changes are pissing me off. I can't seem to swipe away news cards any more? All the cards I am more interested in are now at the bottom or hidden away in the drawer icon on the top right somewhere?

Vanillalite

Interesting. Any thoughts on if the Galaxy S8 has the best screen of any Android phones or is there another device I should be considering? I'm currently thinking about cancelling my Pixel 2 Xl order and going with the Galaxy.

Note 8

That being said it's gonna be priced high like the Pixel 2 XL since they are newer phones.

You can get a pretty good deal on an S8/+ right now. The Note 8 is better, but there pretty similar other than the S Pen.

Note 8

That being said it's gonna be priced high like the Pixel 2 XL since they are newer phones.

You can get a pretty good deal on an S8/+ right now. The Note 8 is better, but there pretty similar other than the S Pen.

I ended up getting the S8+. This is a secondary phone and I'm probably never going to use the pen features so it seemed to make more sense.

The U11+ looks pretty interesting to me. But why do I get the feeling they're going to aim for a 800+ price point? It'd be nice if they kept it at $650 and just drop the price of the regular U11, but I don't see that happening.

Vanillalite

The U11+ looks pretty interesting to me. But why do I get the feeling they're going to aim for a 800+ price point? It'd be nice if they kept it at $650 and just drop the price of the regular U11, but I don't see that happening.

It's their Note 8 or V30 as you will.

I guess Android companies are finding they need two flagships a year as sales start to lag after the Spring frenzy. Plus it gives them multiple flagship devices to market into the holiday season.

Top Bottom