• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones |OT| The offseason thread - Season 3 returns March 31st

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking forward to season 2 coming to bluray, I'm going to need to find a place to store my ice and fire collection of books and shows.

In the correct format season 3 starts 31/3/13, doesn't mean anything but it looks cool.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
HSgkB.jpg

Best casting ever?

YES

HELL YES

Another thread really? Haha.

The season 2 thread hasn't even been that active.

We decided to do it because given the source material, there is so much discussion about the upcoming seasons of the show as opposed to a typical TV show were people don't know what is going to happen in the new season.

At any rate, it also made sense because the Season 2 OT was going to hit the post limit well before next March, and it seems a bit silly to make a new Season 2 OT thread for discussion that is almost completely about the third season.

I think this is a good thread so that people that haven't read the books don't stumble into a season 2 thread and get stuff spoiled for them that they don't know about. People posting pictures of new characters and whatnot.

You look at a season 3 thread, you expect season 3 discussion.

We decided to do it because given the source material, there is so much discussion about the upcoming seasons of the show as opposed to a typical TV show were people don't know what is going to happen in the new season.

At any rate, it also made sense because the Season 2 OT was going to hit the post limit well before next March, and it seems a bit silly to make a new Season 2 OT thread for discussion that is almost completely about the third season.

Yeah, it makes sense to make this thread, it's just pretty funny how ASOIAF threads keep proliferating.

Plasmid

I'm about 100 pages from finishing ACOK and moving onto ASOS. I'm gonna go through all the books merely because i can't wait until 2017 for ADWD

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I know what happens in the fucking books. They didn't do that and it doesn't make sense to shoehorn it in now.

Yeah, they pretty much ruined that twist already, why make him a secret after [ACOK]
Theon is already taken captive by the Dreadfort men? Is he gonna be like, a fellow prisoner who gains his trust? Why?

Tacitus_

Am I missing something? Theon & Ramsay don't feature at all in ASoS, why are they in the show?

Well they need to introduce their lovely relationship at some point since they moved it from where it appeared in the book and this way they're hanging on to Theons actor.

Iksenpets

Banned
Am I missing something? Theon & Ramsay don't feature at all in ASoS, why are they in the show?

The show made a stylistic choice not to have flashbacks, so things have to happen in chronological order. They can't do it like the book and have people disappear for a season and then just flashback to what they were doing. Also, you can't realistically send actors away for a year or two and expect them to be able to return. If you want to keep an actor in the cast, you need at least some material for them each season.

Levi

Banned
Most looking forward to ASOS
Hound and Arya. Two terribly used characters and actors might get properly utilized.

Moaradin

I just finished re-watching S1 last week, and now in the progress of watching S2 again. You catch so much new things the second time around. I actually didn't even know how some characters were related to each other until my re-watch.

border

[GOT - Season 1]
In the TV show it's implied very strongly that Cersei's first child was Robert's, and that she murdered him. Was that in the novel? I don't remember it. At the time she mentions it you wouldn't have known what she meant, but once you already know the entire backstory it's pretty obvious.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[GOT - Season 1]
In the TV show it's implied very strongly that Cersei's first child was Robert's, and that she murdered him. Was that in the novel? I don't remember it. At the time she mentions it you wouldn't have known what she meant, but once you already know the entire backstory it's pretty obvious.

It is, she mentions that he got her pregnant once, but then she got Moon Tea to get an abortion. I don't think it was stated that it was the first kid, though.

Struct09

Just finished season 2 the other day. So awesome, I hope to be caught up on the first two books before season 3 hits.

border

It is, she mentions that he got her pregnant once, but then she got Moon Tea to get an abortion. I don't think it was stated that it was the first kid, though.

[GOT]
My recollection is that in the show she mentions to Catelyn that she had a son with black hair, and that he died of a fever similar to the one that took John Arryn. I don't recall if there's anything like that in the book - it would've happened shortly after Bran's fall I think.

Ark

[GOT]
My recollection is that in the show she mentions to Catelyn that she had a son with black hair, and that he died of a fever similar to the one that took John Arryn. I don't recall if there's anything like that in the book - it would've happened shortly after Bran's fall I think.

Are we really spoiler tagging season 1/book 1 stuff? Just curious.

AGoT:
Cercei actually goes to talk to Catelyn in Bran's room when Catelyn is making stuff for Bran and looking after him in his comatose state etc, happens in both the book and the show if I recall correctly.

Season 1 Beric was just an extra. Wasn't even credited.

Was he not in the scene where Ned ordered him to hunt down Gregor?

Quick question for those who have read the books - the 'big event', does that happen at the end of book 3.1. or book 3.2.? Just wondering if it'll happen this season of the show or next (I'm only halfway through book 2 as well, so I suppose I'm wondering how far away this amazing moment is that everyone constantly shouts about!)

Iksenpets

Banned
Was he not in the scene where Ned ordered him to hunt down Gregor?

Quick question for those who have read the books - the 'big event', does that happen at the end of book 3.1. or book 3.2.? Just wondering if it'll happen this season of the show or next (I'm only halfway through book 2 as well, so I suppose I'm wondering how far away this amazing moment is that everyone constantly shouts about!)

He was, but all he really did was look up at the camera and then walk purposefully out of the room. Because that was so minor, they just gave the role to an extra rather than paying for an actor they'd have to hold onto for two seasons doing nothing.

As for your second question, I'll spoiler tag just in case anyone doesn't want the pacing of the book spoiled:
It happens about two thirds into the book. Most people think that's close enough that things could be shifted around to have it at the end of season 1. Personally, I think that screws with the pacing too much, and that there's plenty to make a great season 3 finale without it, so I would have it as a shocker early in the fourth season, but that's probably why I'm not a TV producer.

We don't need to spoiler stuff that has already happened in the show. You can talk about Cersei's first kid without spoiler tags.

jayb

has it been confirmed that (ASOS)
the same actor that played Barristan Selmy in S1 will be returning for season 3/4
? I really hope so.

UraMallas

As for your second question, I'll spoiler tag just in case anyone doesn't want the pacing of the book spoiled:
It happens about two thirds into the book. Most people think that's close enough that things could be shifted around to have it at the end of season 1. Personally, I think that screws with the pacing too much, and that there's plenty to make a great season 3 finale without it, so I would have it as a shocker early in the fourth season, but that's probably why I'm not a TV producer.

Honestly, I think they'll shift things around enough to have the spoilered at the end of season 4.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Are we really spoiler tagging season 1/book 1 stuff? Just curious.

AGoT:
Cercei actually goes to talk to Catelyn in Bran's room when Catelyn is making stuff for Bran and looking after him in his comatose state etc, happens in both the book and the show if I recall correctly.

The reason for the tag is book content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom