• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Cameron successfully dives to deepest point on Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, wow this is happening today? I would be so excited and terrified at the same time, I cannot imagine the emotions he is going through.

So, will they begin to share media captured from the dive as the day goes on, or will we have to wait a while before stuff hits?
Cameron is preparing a 3D documentary on the dive, so I
wouldn't hold my breath

Nothing big is supposed to live down there so prepare for disappointment. Realistically, even finding fish would be a huge deal.

But I still want a giant octopus.

Never said it has to be huge, just something scientifically exciting like a new species or something.

UnluckyKate said:
They usually explode due to decompression from low abyss right ?

Video footage of fish exploding from decompression would also be cool.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wow. He'll reach the bottom much faster than the MIR subs take to reach locations like Titanic and Bismark.

Theonik

Will there be any video diary or is the pressure too much to work? :p
I don't think that radio communication is possible past a certain depth. If he can take video of the Cabin which in all likelyhood he can he'd probably save the footage for the documentary. It's best to keep one's expectations as low as possible tbh.
Edit:
Wow. He'll reach the bottom much faster than the MIR subs take to reach locations like Titanic and Bismark.
What still puzzles me is that wouldn't he need to be acclimatised after diving into such a depth? Such a fast dive sounds rather dangerous but I will admit to know next to nothing in that field.

TeegsD

Wait a second, his James actually in the submarine guiding this thing? I thought this would just be done via remote control.

The worst part is that he's so cramped in that tiny sphere. Having to sit in that position for several hours... D:

A plane ride from NYC to China lasts around 26 hours. Granted a plane isn't a small space, and there are breaks, but it's not like you have the freedom to just walk around in a plane whenever you want.

Strafer said:
Imagine if he has to go poo-poo. :p

Diapers

Piecake

A plane ride from NYC to China lasts around 26 hours. Granted a plane isn't a small space, and there are breaks, but it's not like you have the freedom to just walk around in a plane whenever you want.

Diapers

how the hell can a plane ride from NY to China last 26 hours when a plane ride from Chicago to China lasts 13?

Puddles

Banned
This is pretty badass. But what if there's some creature down there big enough to eat the sub? This picture always comes to mind when thinking about the really deep ocean.

rC8oI.jpg

This is the most terrifying image I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom