• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still on KMH, I heard a recording of a recent concert of hers in Brisbane, where she plays "The Tiger Inside Will Eat the Child" (Link again, seriously amazing and beautiful), the same song she played on Q&A last year and talks about her experience with the audience.

I transcribed that myself, so I hope someone reads it.

I read it, and am now glad I did because I now want to hear KMH talk about her anus quivering.

edit: so hey, what a great post to kick off a new page!

Dead Man

From the rundown it could work as a regular PC but it would be a damn nightmare to get it all in there if you want something capable of playing new games. Tight space! If you had plenty of experience in PC building I am sure you could make a run of it. LOVE the look, would go great next to my PS3 and 360. Especially if BIGSCREEN Steam patch happens soon.

Bugger, last box I built was about 10 years ago. Don't think I can be arsed making that work, I might still grab something like that for my HTPC though.

So exerciseGAF (Jintor/Agyar/Bernbaum?) this is what I am currently "running" in. Running as in covering a kilometer in like 9 minutes. My ankles hurt and I assume I need something better that won't ruin my knees running on pavement. Any ideas for the cheapo guy over here? Around $30 would be fantastic.

What do you do when you get the worrying feeling that you are almost the social equivalent of a sudoku (a really not very interesting but reliable way to pass time) to someone you really care about ?
Stop worrying? Just get out more man, stop worrying about what kind of person you are like to be around and just do what you enjoy.

Deeku

Deek, avatar recovery is getting pretty urgent. That face makes me tense up.

What do you do when you get the worrying feeling that you are almost the social equivalent of a sudoku (a really not very interesting but reliable way to pass time) to someone you really care about ?
I might keep it a bit longer then!

How can you not be interesting? You're like super smart, you write and (I assume) speak eloquently, you have an upper class accent, you have a diverse range of interests, and you're very above average looking. You're like the most interesting person on gaf, though that's not really saying much lol.

Like reptile said, don't worry too much. Go with the flow, bro!

Danoss

I read it, and am now glad I did because I now want to hear KMH talk about her anus quivering.

Haha. She's pretty hot, so it's completely understandable.

It was from a fan recording, which is actually quite good. It needs a bit of EQ on it as the vocals are a bit too bass heavy, making them a bit muddy. Full acoustic set if anyone is interested, totally free and condoned by Kate (she helped him arrange the recording) only one song missing from the set as Kate wasn't happy with her performance. Link here in case anyone is interested, especially as you miss all fan interaction with her only live CD available.

Salazar

Like reptile said, don't worry too much. Go with the flow, bro!

It's more that I was introduced to someone and I thought it might have totally worked, but it feels increasingly like she's just lobbing the ball back over the net, socially speaking, because that's what people do. My god, that looks repulsive written down. And it is highly plausible that I got it wrong. And calm down and keep going is clearly the answer.

This cull of a bunch of academic staff at Sydney uni sounds pretty crazy. And the funds saved are for buildings ? Wat.

Deeku

It's more that I was introduced to someone and I thought it might have totally worked, but it feels increasingly like she's just lobbing the ball back over the net, socially speaking, because that's what people do.
Overhead smash that shit back! I'm not sure how you'd do that socially, though.

Umm, don't let it drag on too long because it will probably destroy you.

My hair is at awkward mullet stage =/ trying to decide whether to cut it short again or let it grow out (enduring several months of awkward stages in the process).

It's more that I was introduced to someone and I thought it might have totally worked, but it feels increasingly like she's just lobbing the ball back over the net, socially speaking, because that's what people do. My god, that looks repulsive written down. And it is highly plausible that I got it wrong. And calm down and keep going is clearly the answer.

I think you're overthinking it too much. Take it from an expert that stressing over this is only going to turn the perceived problem into a real one. I think you already figured that out though. If she doesn't want to talk to you, she won't. If she is then there's no need to worry!

Danoss

I'm the last person to give social advice in most cases, so feel free to ignore all of the following.

I think people can tend to over-think things quite a bit. I think it's best to play what's in front of you and go with your gut. Usually if you think things over and over, the end result isn't yourself and usually doesn't have the desired effect. Don't afraid to just be yourself, it's the easiest solution to everything.

Agonising over certain things said or done often doesn't lead anywhere good. Most people aren't cryptic in the way they present themselves. Things don't often need deciphering and are often best forgotten because the majority of what you have said and done are forgotten by others in a very short time frame.

lol, now I'm going to get fashion page recommendations whenever I visit the site. =/

So my friend likes making cakes, this time it was cheesecake eggs:

562153_10150878992862779_641202778_9562295_673678631_n.jpg

I want to eat them so bad..

Deeku

If she was less ugly, less fat and her hair wasn't crap, it wouldn't look as bad.

Shan, bobs are still in so get that! lol

Ydahs

Does anyone have any experiences with TPG ASDL2+ Off-Net or TPG in general? I just found Optus only offers 20GB internet plans at our new house, which is an absolute joke...

Boken

Banned
I have TPG ADSL2+ on the unlimited plan. My experiences have been pretty incident free - perhaps only one hiccup in the last 12 months. Maybe I'm lucky though, my friends are a bit meh on TPG.

Gazzawa

Did someone really just come into an AUSGAF thread to MAKE FUN OF AUSTRALIA?

LgAfH.gif

I live a rich life.
I am just a poor student
I phrased that wrong. I meant to say lolz at Australian Internet Service Providers.
For a 1st class country it offers mediocre service in terms of internet.
Why so?

Boken

Banned
ISPs (and copyright holders) have been pushing for bandwith caps in most 1st world countries. If you're not careful maybe you'll have bandwith caps yourself.

So NSW looks boned for origin already. I realise I've now jinxed Queensland and will regret those words, but Inglis scored a hat trick and gallen got injured tonight. Doesn't look good for the blues.

Not to mention Queensland's biggest selection headache is between Gillet and DCE on the bench.

Edit. God I hate you auto correct.

I'm wondering if my tickets are ever going to show up. Stupid ticketek.
Brisbane temperatures still too high for my liking. We need lower twenties, not mid twenties max.

Your crazy. Go down south if you want to freeze.

Bernbaum

So exerciseGAF (Jintor/Agyar/Bernbaum?) this is what I am currently "running" in. Running as in covering a kilometer in like 9 minutes. My ankles hurt and I assume I need something better that won't ruin my knees running on pavement. Any ideas for the cheapo guy over here? Around $30 would be fantastic.

Stop worrying? Just get out more man, stop worrying about what kind of person you are like to be around and just do what you enjoy.

You're going to hurt yourself if you keep running in those.

Here are your options, in decreasing order of easiness:

1) Get a discount pair of Asics/Adidas/Nike whatever. Something that is usually $100+ but is $60 at your Foot Locker or whatever. They're all the same. Get cross-trainers, not basketball or skate shoes. I'm still recovering from running in basketball shoes.

2) Get a fitted insole. Serious footwear stores with the right kit can run a decent analysis on your feet: they put you on a set of scales that measures how you habitually distribute your body mass across your feet. They might also offer a video tape of your lower leg whilst running to diagnose how your feet move. They will then mark a hard mold of the sole of your foot to produce an inner sole, matched with a shoe that has the right outer sole to compensate for whatever fucked up shit your feet are doing.

This is expensive. Most places will tell you the foot analysis is free, which typically involves them making the inner sole so you get a feel of how it can improve your stride. They make them for free, but if you're there to buy shoes, you're going to have to pay. They'll also recommend which shoe is best, which is rarely that trendy pair of Nikes you were looking at on the way in. My current pair are Brooks, which look repulsive but are AMAZING at fixing my feet. The inner soles can range from $30-100, so ask before you even do the test. Total cost of the shoes and inner soles was about $200AUD. IF the shoes last 12 months, I'll be happy. The inner soles should be good for 5 years and can easily be re-used in a new pair.

3) Ride a bike. Less impact on your ankles and knees. Bonus prize: front row seat view of that tight bum on the chick riding in front of you.

4) Do swimming. Best all-round exercise there is. Healthy combination of cardio and muscle group work that is very low impact on your joints. Bonus prize: the opportunity to perv on people much more attractive than you.

Despite that, running is still my number 1 cardio workout. Nothing beats putting on some headphones and Bad Religion's "All Ages" compilation and just going for it.

Your 9 minute run will improve your fitness, but you're only really going to start burning fat if you go for 30+ minute runs. Doesn't need to be sustained but don't break for too long. Your body doesn't lock into burning body fat until you bring your heart rate up to a certain level and keep it there for an amount of time. Sorry.

Also try to run on the grass where possible to avoid impacting your knees. Try to get a range of different surfaces into your run.

Finally, I really don't like running on the treadmill, but the English weather outdoors sometimes necessitates it. One of the few things I like about treadmills is that they give a rough (and I mean rough) estimation of the calories you've burnt in that workout. When you realise that the 30 minute jog you've just tortured yourself over is equivalent to two donuts, it makes you think twice about eating either of those two donuts.

Deeku

OK I had the WEIRDEST dream last night...like super weird.

Salazar took me to dinner to meet his girlfriend for approval. Turns out she's the nurse/chick vet from Bondi Vet. I approved. It wasn't really clear what my relationship with Sal was, but I'm pretty sure I was his step dad.

I'm not even kidding.

Anyway, I have a meeting to go to, ciao!

Does anyone have any experiences with TPG ASDL2+ Off-Net or TPG in general? I just found Optus only offers 20GB internet plans at our new house, which is an absolute joke...

I've got TPG unlimited too. It seems OK, but I've been having trouble with it being super slow and dropping out recently. Pretty sure that's because of shit copper and stuff on my end rather than TPG's failings.

A mate did go for it though and got completely shafted. She got the OK to be connected, paid the initial deposit and then had to wait for connection.....it just never happened. After more than a month she got onto them and they eventually said they couldn't connect her because of Telstra or some other rubbish.

Echoplx

I was with TPG and it was pretty bad, took nearly 3 months to get connected, had periods of weeks where the connection just wouldn't sync properly and trying to get their support to do anything was near impossible.

Choc

Banned
you want freaky shit?
the night before i ended up in an ambulance on the way to my recent hospital stay, i dreamt of a fucking ambulance

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
you want freaky shit?
the night before i ended up in an ambulance on the way to my recent hospital stay, i dreamt of a fucking ambulance

It's only your subconscious storing memories of recent events while you sleep.

So when do we get this Budget? Is it going to be exciting? Will I become rich? No? Don't care then.

I dreamt I woke up early, did my assignment and got a lot of Korean study out of the way. Then I woke up and it was 10.

I live a rich life.
I am just a poor student
I phrased that wrong. I meant to say lolz at Australian Internet Service Providers.
For a 1st class country it offers mediocre service in terms of internet.
Why so?

I have no idea, might be something to do with the wiring? Or everyone being more spread out.

Oh, whatever you do don't get Optus. In the years we've been with them they have taken every single possible opportunity to screw us out of money (including changing us from mail to online billing without saying anything and then sending us overdue fees. We'd asked to have it changed back, they wouldn't, and the next month we'd get more overdue fees).

Fogz

I dreamt I was standing underneath a big tsunami wave. You blokes on the coast better look out! :p

....or maybe it meant I needed to go to the loo

jambo

I dreamt I was standing underneath a big tsunami wave. You blokes on the coast better look out! :p

....or maybe it meant I needed to go to the loo

You need to be more poetic than "big tsunami wave."

How about: "I dreamed I saw a great wave climbing over green lands and above the hills. I stood upon the brink. It was utterly dark in the abyss before my feet. A light shone behind me, but I could not turn. I could only stand there... waiting."

Fredescu

I had a football manager dream a few weeks back. Not of spreadsheets and the FM interface but that I was actually hired by some lower league team as a manager and I had to give speeches and talk to players and such. I was so nervous about it all. On the first game of the season I fielded a team that was short one player and couldn't figure out how to add them.

lolz at Australia and itz phaelboat internet.
Can anyone explain to my why there are download caps and shit?
Gotten a lot better in recent years, still a far way behind South Korea and the like but other western countries are going backwards and introducing download caps in places like Canada. Our speeds have greatly improved too which is nice. Once the NBN is widespread in 5-10 years time things should settle down.

Turns out she's the nurse/chick vet from Bondi Vet. I approved.
Sal would renounce his kPOP ways if that was true. Also I would punch him in the balls.

I would approve too. Hawt.

You're going to hurt yourself if you keep running in those.

Here are your options, in decreasing order of easiness:

1) Get a discount pair of Asics/Adidas/Nike whatever. Something that is usually $100+ but is $60 at your Foot Locker or whatever. They're all the same. Get cross-trainers, not basketball or skate shoes. I'm still recovering from running in basketball shoes.

2) Get a fitted insole. Serious footwear stores with the right kit can run a decent analysis on your feet: they put you on a set of scales that measures how you habitually distribute your body mass across your feet. They might also offer a video tape of your lower leg whilst running to diagnose how your feet move. They will then mark a hard mold of the sole of your foot to produce an inner sole, matched with a shoe that has the right outer sole to compensate for whatever fucked up shit your feet are doing.

This is expensive. Most places will tell you the foot analysis is free, which typically involves them making the inner sole so you get a feel of how it can improve your stride. They make them for free, but if you're there to buy shoes, you're going to have to pay. They'll also recommend which shoe is best, which is rarely that trendy pair of Nikes you were looking at on the way in. My current pair are Brooks, which look repulsive but are AMAZING at fixing my feet. The inner soles can range from $30-100, so ask before you even do the test. Total cost of the shoes and inner soles was about $200AUD. IF the shoes last 12 months, I'll be happy. The inner soles should be good for 5 years and can easily be re-used in a new pair.

4) Do swimming. Best all-round exercise there is. Healthy combination of cardio and muscle group work that is very low impact on your joints. Bonus prize: the opportunity to perv on people much more attractive than you.

Despite that, running is still my number 1 cardio workout. Nothing beats putting on some headphones and Bad Religion's "All Ages" compilation and just going for it.

Your 9 minute run will improve your fitness, but you're only really going to start burning fat if you go for 30+ minute runs. Doesn't need to be sustained but don't break for too long. Your body doesn't lock into burning body fat until you bring your heart rate up to a certain level and keep it there for an amount of time. Sorry.

Also try to run on the grass where possible to avoid impacting your knees. Try to get a range of different surfaces into your run.

Finally, I really don't like running on the treadmill, but the English weather outdoors sometimes necessitates it. One of the few things I like about treadmills is that they give a rough (and I mean rough) estimation of the calories you've burnt in that workout. When you realise that the 30 minute jog you've just tortured yourself over is equivalent to two donuts, it makes you think twice about eating either of those two donuts.
Thanks mate! Yeah I meant I was averaging 9 minutes per kilometer, I wouldn't go out for any less than half an hour and always aim for an hour to make it worthwhile. Even if I can't run much as long as my heartrate is always high I know that it will be making some inroads.

No bike for me, hate cyclists so that would just make me hate myself even more than I already do. Plus I just don't enjoy it as much as running. Nothing like chucking on some classic (or the awesome new album by) Prong and groove metalling my way into a death march breaking through the pussyness barrier and keeping the pace going. Usually like to start out with something nice and elevating like some arty indie rock or ambient stuff to wash away the stress of the day and clear the mind out before smashing it with something groovy.

I really should get into swimming as I love the hell out of it(
even if my secret shame is not being able to open my eyes underwater
) but it is pretty expensive around here and the ocean is BALLS IN THROAT cold at the moment, along with it being chock full of yucky seaweed and shrubbery.

Sounds like I need to chase down some cheap Nike's then. I have an old pair of AND-1 basketball boots from nearly 10 years back that have done well for me but I thought they wouldn't be recommended for running so nice to know I should avoid them. My skate shoes last night felt better than my surf shoes that I usually run in at least! Once the wedding is out of the way and I have saved up some cash I will look at getting some insoles and a decent pair of asics or something, to do the job properly and avoid wrecking my feet in the long term.

Main problem will be finding somewhere to run, grass will be hard since it is coming into winter rainy season but I think there is a track along the beach that is dirt/sand/nicerunninggravel that I will check out tomorrow.

Speaking of dreams, mine last night was that my family and I emigrated to Denmark.
Danish (not Danish? Swedish? why is it so complicated?) backpackers are super attractive and godly built so that sounds like a fun relocation.

Jintor

TPG, been having slowdown problems for ages now but can't figure out whose fault it is. For most usage though absolutely fine, aside from the times Sydney gets hit by a massive storm and everything goes caput for a week

Danoss

TPG, been having slowdown problems for ages now but can't figure out whose fault it is. For most usage though absolutely fine, aside from the times Sydney gets hit by a massive storm and everything goes caput for a week

Slowdown after a storm/rain is common amongst ADSL users as the pits fill with water. I have ordinary speeds due to my distance from the exchange, but when it rains it gets worse, and doesn't improve for a while afterwards.

TPG's problem is in its tech support. If you don't have a problem, good for you, you are in the majority no matter what people say. If you have a problem though, have fun is all I can say, it's going to be a rough ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom