• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns' Ending Teases the Future of Metroid (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

Feffe

Sakamoto relegated the Prime series to an alternate universe so that Other M could work in the timeline. At this point, Prime is telling a completely different story than the 2D Metroids.
No, he said they are part of the same universe but they are telling a different story, which is true.

Whoa, an evil Chozo faction still alive somewhere??

HOLY CRAP

I always assumed that was what Dread was going to be in concept: a dark Samus type Chozo with the ability to make more metroids and have a mother brain in tow because why not (since Super Metroid lore claimed they made that one too).

As for the OP: there is one thing you seem to be missing on the second to last picture, and that is that the leaders of the metroid creation program seem to be kneeling / pleading, and dead in the last picture. So "polite argument" it was not.

It's also not altogether impossible
that the killer isn't actually a Chozo itself, but a successful infiltration by X-parasites instead. SA-X had some degree of Samus's intelligence regardless of being a soulless mimic, an X-Chozo might retain enough of it to be able to fool detection. Boop. But simply not being able to resist temptation is more likely.

Vena

Ah! I forgot all about that. Guess that's because of how long I've been out of the game.

And I think If the Chozo has been active in secret this whole time then they should have superior armor and weapons right?

If this is a renegade faction, I don't know what tech they would have but the schism between warriors and scientists would, I'd think, actually leave them behind. Potentially very old Chozo tech which was, ages ago, what ruled their Empire but Samus' suit (in general and) by/post Fusion is well beyond that of anything old Chozo. She's got tech from the Science Lords of Bryyo to Luminoth tech to ancient Chozo tech to modern Chozo tech to an evolved (SA-X + Metroid) power suit by the end of Fusion.

But I'd sooner be more concerned about Samus vs. an older breed of Chozo warrior. Samus is from the same pool of bioengineering as the Metroid's (ie. pinnacle of Chozo technology as we know of it). She's a cross-species supersoldier with the DNA of an effectively legendary Chozo warrior, raised by the Chozo and MB, and sporting a body count of multiple planets, a space station, the entirety of the space pirate race/society/everything. Who knows what Phazon did to her body but she was also able to withstand that *stuff* even as she delved into multiple leviathan seeds and got drenched in it repeatedly.

Doesn't generally seem fair to compare her to any single warrior, hah. She's more of a natural disaster.

Sakamoto relegated the Prime series to an alternate universe so that Other M could work in the timeline. At this point, Prime is telling a completely different story than the 2D Metroids.

(final boss spoilers)
Did you see the Ridley boss fight in this game?

He's partially Meta Ridley. They actually offer an explanation to why he goes back to looking normal in Super after being a cyborg in the Prime games. Prime is still canon.

Maridia

You mean sibling, not brother. Sylux is never gendered.

none whatsoever

Haha, thanks.

Anyway, I'm totally down for Metroid: Skyfall, where Samus lures her Federation pursuers back to her home world, where she'll have the drop on them, only to discover that the Chozo... have changed.

No, he said they are part of the same universe but they are telling a different story, which is true.
I was wrong that he said alternate universe. This is what he said:

E : Retro obviously produced the Metroid Prime series; very successful, very influential. Do you consider this a reboot of the series after Metroid Prime? Is this the direction for future Metroids or just another direction?

Y : The games that I've been involved with in the Metroid series have been on the NES, GameBoy, Super NES and the GBA. I actually didn't have a lot of input on the Prime series. But when they're doing with Other M here, it's not so much a different universe, it's just a different part of the story. You can't say that there's no relation here; it's probably best to think of them as being in parallel in this world.

https://www.engadget.com/2010/03/12/interview-metroid-other-m-producer-yoshio-sakamoto/

So not an alternate universe but in a timeline parallel to the 2D Metroids. Rather confusing wording to be honest.

Or just Retcon Other M lol...
Well according to the below post it thankfully seems like they are blending the Prime series into the mainline one.

Did you see the Ridley boss fight in this game?

He's partially Meta Ridley. They actually offer an explanation to why he goes back to looking normal in Super after being a cyborg in the Prime games. Prime is still canon.
Thanks for the info. Although you could've given some context to the spoilers. Granted I don't really care about spoilers for a Metroid 2 Remake which is why I'm in this thread.

RRockman

Banned
Have they confirmed if Sylux is
Samus's brother?

If the warrior faction wiped out the scientist faction, it's possible that their tech has stagnated.

Although the big bad looks like he has a version of Samus' arm cannon while all the other warrior Chozo are wielding the stick guns from the manga.

If this is a renegade faction, I don't know what tech they would have but the schism between warriors and scientists would, I'd think, actually leave them behind. Potentially very old Chozo tech which was, ages ago, what ruled their Empire but Samus' suit (in general and) by/post Fusion is well beyond that of anything old Chozo. She's got tech from the Science Lords of Bryyo to Luminoth tech to ancient Chozo tech to modern Chozo tech to an evolved (SA-X + Metroid) power suit by the end of Fusion.

But I'd sooner be more concerned about Samus vs. an older breed of Chozo warrior. Samus is from the same pool of bioengineering as the Metroid's (ie. pinnacle of Chozo technology as we know of it). She's a cross-species supersoldier with the DNA of an effectively legendary Chozo warrior, raised by the Chozo and MB, and sporting a body count of multiple planets, a space station, the entirety of the space pirate race/society/everything. Who knows what Phazon did to her body but she was also able to withstand that *stuff* even as she delved into multiple leviathan seeds and got drenched in it repeatedly.

Doesn't generally seem fair to compare her to any single warrior, hah. She's more of a natural disaster.

I get that possibility but I really think it would be dumb to leave that knowledge behind when it could be used to make great killing tools. Why wouldn't they let a few live and have them continue their research at gunpoint?

Yeah, Samus is pretty busted on her own. But she has a lot of DNA/Phazon in her like you said. What if there was a way to make that breakdown? I like how fusion gave her the metroid's weakness based on their DNA. Maybe there could be a nother weakness exploit like that?

I really want to have a bad guy that could fight her on equal footing, without it being a parasite or generic dark form with super powers.

Feffe

I was wrong that he said alternate universe. This is what he said:

https://www.engadget.com/2010/03/12/interview-metroid-other-m-producer-yoshio-sakamoto/

So not an alternate universe but in a timeline parallel to the 2D Metroids. Rather confusing wording to be honest.

Well according to the below post it thankfully seems like they are blending the Prime series into the mainline one.

Thanks for the info. Although you could've given some context to the spoilers. Granted I don't really care about spoilers for a Metroid 2 Remake which is why I'm in this thread.
When he says "parallel in this world" I think he means the two story arcs coexist in the same universe, but they really don't influence each other.

I mean, I have a life as a student and a life as a poster here on gaf. The two are "parallel in this world" but they are part of the same universe and timeline :p

Tanabe as late as Federation Force announcement confirmed that the Prime series still takes place between I and II.

lol I thought the sarcasm would be obvious.

My meter breaks sometimes. I actually thought about deleting that part but then posted it anyway.

But on a different matter: how do any of you know who the f this 'Sylux' is when Prime 3 said nothing about it?

edit: and yes, Prime is very obviously made canon by this remake.

Guys those are amazing ideas, but how do you integrate them in a game which is all about being alone on a planet full of wildlife?

They could try something else? Shake up the formula?

I know that's a scary thought for some people after Other M and Federation Force but I don't think it should be written off.

I'm not saying ditch the original style completely but if other Nintendo properties can branch out and successfully try new things I don't see why Metroid can't.

At least maybe an action spin off to rap up the rogue Samus story Fusion set up.

Jawmuncher

Hopefully the future of metroid means Samus will keep her powers from the beginning.
Regardless the tease here is an interesting one.

No plans to pick up a 3ds but this is awesome. Glad to see possible positive directions forward for one of the best sci-fi series out there.

RRockman

Banned
Hopefully the future of metroid means Samus will keep her powers from the beginning.

Make it kinda like BotW where you are given the major tools at the start and the only upgrades are ammo and armor? And the only thing keeping you from exploreing is your own ingenuity rather than not having the right power up yet?

I think I can get behind this.

Jawmuncher

Make it kinda like BotW where you are given the major tools at the start and the only upgrades are ammo and armor? And the only thing keeping you from exploreing is your own ingenuity rather than not having the right power up yet?

vyrayHN.gif

zogged

none whatsoever

As far as I know that comes from the Prime 3 ending where Sylux's ship is seen chasing Samus mixed with the interview where Tanabe says that he wants to explore the connection between Samus and Sylux in the future

url]

Man I really really hope this ends up being the subject of Prime 4, that is a series I have been absolutely dying to revisit

Forward

Extra Special Plot Point Spoiler for Metroid 5:

Samus is an X-Parasite that infected a Metroid that infected an X-Parasite that infected an human.

XaMusCeption.

And still better than Other M.

TreIII

Unnnnnf. The Metroid nerd in me is geeking out with joy at all these new tidbits.

Gimme more.

And for goodness sake, let Kraig have some fun, sometimes!

Having a Chozo villain would actually be kind of refreshing, considering they've been propped up as a universally benevolent presence this whole time - in the games, anyway. Plus, you could end up with a Halo situation where everyone hates each other and is on a different side - Samus, Sylux, GF, Chozo, and your usual baddies like Space Pirates.

Maybe Metroid V is going to go with a "five sides to every story"-type angle?

zogged

Having a Chozo villain would actually be kind of refreshing, considering they've been propped up as a universally benevolent presence this whole time - in the games, anyway. Plus, you could end up with a Halo situation where everyone hates each other and is on a different side - Samus, Sylux, GF, Chozo, and your usual baddies like Space Pirates.

Maybe Metroid V is going to go with a "five sides to every story"-type angle?

I just hope they don't retcon all the hints in previous games that the Chozo became so advanced that they were able to transcend physical forms. The implication of that made the Chozo parts of Talon IV so much more intriguing

rtcn63

The sense of progression would be hurt. At least, that's how I felt in A Link Between Worlds, since you could just rent nearly everything early on and just not die (or reload a hard save). There is an arguable joy in retreading old areas to use new items and get loot.

And it's also one of the complaints I see about BotW.

Nanashrew

Banned
I just hope they don't retcon all the hints in previous games that the Chozo became so advanced that they were able to transcend physical forms. The implication of that made the Chozo parts of Talon IV so much more intriguing

I mean they can all still exist in various forms. Nothing stopped that with the whole ancients thing in Stargate series for example. Some could still be alive, some could have ascended from reaching a higher state of being, others could be hiding and be tyrannical.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
As far as I know that comes from the Prime 3 ending where Sylux's ship is seen chasing Samus mixed with the interview where Tanabe says that he wants to explore the connection between Samus and Sylux in the future

url]

Man I really really hope this ends up being the subject of Prime 4, that is a series I have been absolutely dying to revisit

That... has nothing to do with what they said though? Yes, Prime 4 is almost definitely the Sylux story as teased in Federation Force, but they're talking about them being siblings which is not supported by anything so far.

halo-4-ancient-evil.jpg

This is giving me Didact flashbacks.

But in all seriousness military Chozo faction is a great idea. I still really want a "Federation chases down Samus" game after Fusion.

And god, not every franchise needs a BoTW. I get that losing powerups all the time is fucking lame, but the progression of getting new abilities to explore old areas is one of the reasons I love Metroid. Handing you all the tools in the beginning of the game defeats the purpose to me.

RagnarokX

The chozo that kills all of the survivors isn't in any of the previous scenes. He's likely the leader of a rescue party. I know the red is ominous, but it's possible that he killed them in case one or all of them turned out to be an X doppelganger.

In all of the supplementary mangas and comics that Sakamoto has played hand with the Chozo aren't gone. In the 2004 manga, a group of Chozo led by Old Bird escape Zebes before it is captured, and in the Super Metroid Comic from 1994 Samus goes to see Old Bird at the Chozo's hiding place: The Nest. Although neither are 100% canon, Sakamoto lifts parts from them as canon. Old Bird appears in Zero Mission and Fusion.

There is another thing. In the 2004 manga, Zebes is invaded before the Metroid project is complete. The coup on Zebes happened while this stuff was going on on SR388, and the Chozo that arrived to greet them as they tried to escape the horrors below the surface are loyal to Mother Brain.

Jezan

Will they address that in Prime 4? and if so, does that mean Prime 4 will be before Super?

I hope that the evil Chozo is actually still on the loose and everything happens after Fusion. And while we are talking about Fusion, will they change the Fusion Suit? I mean it basically destroyed Samus' iconic silhouette.

Forward

He's too big for a slingshot

This is why we need XaMusCeption, as per my earlier post. Ninty can get Tom Hardy to voice Adam, as he helps encourage Samus-cite to mutate bigger, and upgrade her Missiles to Sling-Beam.

God knows Samus Returns Samus is very nearly halfway there, with her gangly, awkward gait. All she will need is Freeze Fried Chozos, and it will be a wrap.

And still better than Other M.

jwillenn

trying to do ****ing update so that I can get into the eShop to get this ****!

errors! ERRORS! ERRRAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHZ!

Vena

Yeah, Samus is pretty busted on her own. But she has a lot of DNA/Phazon in her like you said. What if there was a way to make that breakdown? I like how fusion gave her the metroid's weakness based on their DNA. Maybe there could be a nother weakness exploit like that?

I really want to have a bad guy that could fight her on equal footing, without it being a parasite or generic dark form with super powers.

She's free of Phazon, it was neutralized when she destroyed Dark Samus/Metroid Prime and the Aurora Unit. As was her Metroid-element when she merged with the SA-X. If anything, she's now just the *good* parts of X/Metroid since their weaknesses are gone as of Fusion (Metroids/Ice, respectively). Its kind of hard to say *what* she is by the end of Fusion because at that point she's Human + Chozo + Metroid + X, by the end of Metroid 5 I wouldn't be surprised if she's part-Ridley.

There *are* bad guys that fight her on equal footing. The thing is they are usually much larger than she is or empowered in some fashion (Ridley, Craid, Quadraxis, Ing Emperor, Metroid Prime, Omega and Queen Metroids, etc).

Within the lore-universe of Metroid, I don't think anything on her scale can actually pose much of a threat to her. Consider that her most dangerous enemy was herself be that Dark Samus or SA-X, the bounty hunters she runs across in the Hunters or Prime 3 are easily dispatched by her even when they are empowered and corrupted by Dark Samus+Phazon. The shadow-bad guy for Prime of Sylux doesn't even dare fight her directly.

That said, we've never seen a Chozo warrior in their prime in the series, so maybe they actually would pose a threat to her. But then these same warriors failed to deal with the Metroids, and she (in this very game) re-enacts Terminator 1 on 40-some Sarah Connors.

The funny thing is that back on the forums during the early days of AM2R a lot of fans wanted him to add "a scene with X parasites" or to add "a Ridley boss fight" but the developer thought that was taking too much liberty with the original game.

Mildly amusing that the official remake added exactly what the fans wanted.

Also that Chozo art depicting the history of SR388 is amazing.

zogged

That... has nothing to do with what they said though? Yes, Prime 4 is almost definitely the Sylux story as teased in Federation Force, but they're talking about them being siblings which is not supported by anything so far.

I meant more in the sense that the tease of there being a connection between them is what sparked off the theory of a familial relationship

Top Bottom