• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darksiders 2 new info! [one month away from release]

BY2K

Membero Americo
At Manchester Comic Con where they're demoing this. Played it on 360 and the tearing is pretty bad as are the jaggies. Could be the set up but hmmmm. Seems good though. Day one.

Didn't notice any jaggies in the videos, and hdn assured us there's no tearing.

EDIT: I just noticed the E3 demo was done on PC, if your demo was played on 360, that might explain the jaggies.

DieH@rd

Banned
Didn't notice any jaggies in the videos, and hdn assured us there's no tearing.

EDIT: I just noticed the E3 demo was done on PC, if your demo was played on 360, that might explain the jaggies.

HQ footage of last Behind the Mask from gamersyde has jaggies.

DieH@rd

Banned
OK jaggies haters, prepare yourselves. This is 3.4MB screenshot form the Darksiders 1:
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/875/screenshot12250.png

1080p display, 16xAF, 8x Supersampling on AMD card + FXAA injector with custom fixes for better colors and contrast.
/Riddick [laughing in the rain]: " Where is your god now?"

NOTE - ABLOAD.DE downscales the image to 2.8mb, so I am using imageshack link that i found on the web. I dont know if that host is permitted here, but preserving original image quality was priority in this case.

DieH@rd

Banned
Here are my testings of the FXAA, i messed with the colors for only few secs, im sure it can be even better.

Original:
darksidersnormalfyjaw.png

FXAA:
darksidersfxaaswjpd.png

Aliasing smoothing was not set to maximum, but IQ is noticeably better. With these settings, colors make the game so much better. Its time for my last replay before DS2. :D

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah I'm going to play through part 1 again next month. FXAA makes every console port better lol

Oh and quote your own pictures they are huge as fuck lol

DieH@rd

Banned
Here is little less color saturation.
ds1arbx8y.jpg

And here is FXAA injector I am using:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ojk4bs

Just unpack this in the DS dir alongside darksiders.exe. As for manual image quality correction, just fire up "FXAA_Tool.exe" and move sliders. I have deactivated some effects, but if you find some superior IQ, leave info [and screenshots] here.

With "Pause" button on your keyboard you can activate and deactivate FXAA during gameplay. All the changes in the FXAA_Tool.exe can be done on the fly. No need to shut down and run game 10 times.

Feindflug

At Manchester Comic Con where they're demoing this. Played it on 360 and the tearing is pretty bad as are the jaggies. Could be the set up but hmmmm. Seems good though. Day one.

Tearing is pretty bad? hdn told us that there is no tearing in the console versions.

Also about the jaggies I thought for some reason that they're using FXAA on DS2.

Really sad to hear that there's tearing on the 360 version. :(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Maybe it was just the demo build. They been working on the final version for about 3 months. But I'll leave some doubt because that was an issue on the 360 version of the first game til the patch

This blows my mind every year at E3 (and I assume every other convention is the same or worse). They spend hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars setting up these booths. They go to great lengths to make sure the games look the best they can--carefully and elaborately crafted demos, hired goons and/or closed sections to control preview build photographs--but then they display the games on shitty TV's straight out of the box, always completely uncalibrated and often laggy as fuck. The games always look horrible, jaggy as hell, crushed detail, neon colors. You would think after all these years someone would say hey, we could probably hire some display geek for chump change to go through and do a rudimentary calibration of the TV's, but nope, can't be arsed.
LOL

Reallink

This blows my mind every year at E3 (and I assume every other convention is the same or worse). They spend hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars setting up these booths. They go to great lengths to make sure the games look the best they can--carefully and elaborately crafted demos, hired goons and/or closed sections to control preview build photographs--but then they display the games on shitty TV's straight out of the box, always completely uncalibrated and often laggy as fuck. The games always look horrible, jaggy as hell, crushed detail, neon colors. You would think after all these years someone would say hey, we could probably hire some display geek for chump change to go through and do a rudimentary calibration of the TV's, but nope, can't be arsed.

DieH@rd

Banned
Tearing is pretty bad? hdn told us that there is no tearing in the console versions.

Also about the jaggies I thought for some reason that they're using FXAA on DS2.

Really sad to hear that there's tearing on the 360 version. :(

HDN [lead designer of Darksiders 2] said in the SDCC thread that there is no tearing in console versions. Le proof:

That must be a capture problem. I've played the PS3 & X360 versions and there is no screen tearing.

H

I've played both console versions, and there's no screen tearing. We made sure to address the issue early on.

H

Who knows what build of the game was present on that Manchester Comic Con.

Feindflug

Maybe it was just the demo build. They been working on the final version for about 3 months. But I'll leave some doubt because that was an issue on the 360 version of the first game til the patch

I guess you're right but from what we've seen thus far every video from the 360 version (at least what I've seen) has a lot of tearing so I'm a little worried since I have the 360 version pre-ordered and had to wait for about two weeks when I got the first game at launch to finally get the patch and start the game since the tearing and unlocked frame-rate were really distracting in DS1 pre-patch.

These builds might be old and sure the game might get some polish time in the last months of development but hdn on the other hand told us IIRC that tearing was something that they got rid off from the start of the development...I'm confused. :(

I really hope that my d3d9.dll FXAA injector won't be considered a "cheat". I've used it for several games, but a few of them don't like it and won't start up - for example Kingdoms of Amular.

I forgot all about it actually till you posted those screenshots, thanks Die Hard =)
I might turn it on for some of my newly bought steam games actually...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm way too hype for this game... installing darksiders 1 to play again x.x/

I only played the ps3 version before, after playing the pc version... yeah never again. Was worth the double dip

DieH@rd

Banned
On my Radeon 6870 and Phenom II x2 3.2ghz I have between 40 and 120fps in Darksdiers 1 [usually around 60], depending on the location and situation.

Hopefully, DS2 will be in the same range.

Eideka

Banned
On my Radeon 6870 and Phenom II x2 3.2ghz I have between 40 and 120fps in Darksdiers 1 [usually around 60], depending on the location and situation.

Hopefully, DS2 will be in the same range.

You won't have to worry. From what we have seen DS 2 is not a technological showcase, and the PC version won't have special effects of any kind.

Erasus

I hope Darksiders 2 is more optimized. Got down to 25fps during certain parts in 1 for me with a 4830 in 1080p and a dual core. Got a quad now though

So im looking to buy and play DS1 before DS2 comes out but im trying to decide what to buy it for. I generally prefer to play games like this on consoles so is there a superior version of it between 360 and ps3?

I know I played it briefly at once point on 360 but there was some pretty bad screen tearing and stuff like that so not sure what to go with at this point.

Truant

This looks amazing. Everything DS wanted to be and more.

The first one totally cliked with me during the desert level. The game just opened up, and for a long time it was great.

Derrick01

Banned
Taken from Cloudius12 in the steam sale thread

Cloudius12 said:
Green Man Gaming is having a deal on preorders for Darksiders 2 that register on Steam with a 25% off coupon.

Coupon code: DEATH-LIVES-4LESS

Takes it down to $37.46

It's not the lowest it's been but it might be the lowest it will go before release. At best they'd probably knock it down a few more dollars but that's not enough to make me want to wait this close if I was on the fence still.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
My copy of abomination vault just shipped. :3

I'm not expecting anything beyond WH40K quality book writing, but it should be fun. If the Vigil dev's still here, do you know if you'll be doing any Darksiders 2 figures? The War figure was cool, and I'm sure Death will have something, but I want some stuff based off the monster designs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1926778537/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Art of Darksiders book is up for preorder, too. I bought it, and Death's Door(the comic) AND Abomination Vault. GIVE ME SOMETHING ELSE TO BUY

dan2026

There was lots of tearing on Darksiders 1, really horrible.

But if the lead designer can't be trusted about Dark 2, who can?

dan2026

They fixed DS1 tearing on x360 with a patch that came out ~2 weeks after the game.

They fixed the constant tearing. The engine unfortunately still tore quite a bit when under stress. Particularly in the later levels. They used soft vsync it seems.

Feindflug

They fixed the constant tearing. The engine unfortunately still tore quite a bit when under stress. Particularly in the later levels. They used soft vsync it seems.

The unlocked frame-rate and constant tearing were horrible in DS1 360 pre-patch, hopefully there won't be similar problems with DS2 at launch. :/

Micerider

I am puzzled. I am willing to make a replay of DS1 before jumping in but I have sufficient games in stock (thanks Steam sales) and I am wondering if the replay-value worth a try.

So I'd ask those who have played it twice : is it worthy of a 2nd playthrough, taking into consideration that :

1) I didn't go for a lot of "secrets" like the Abyssal armor pieces.

2) I played it shortly after launch, on Xbox 360, but now have the PC version (Steam sale again... :p ) with a configuration that could probably run it 1080p 60fps (not a beast, but Darksiders is not that power hungry for the short time I tested it on my rig).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I am puzzled. I am willing to make a replay of DS1 before jumping in but I have sufficient games in stock (thanks Steam sales) and I am wondering if the replay-value worth a try.

So I'd ask those who have played it twice : is it worthy of a 2nd playthrough, taking into consideration that :

2) I played it shortly after launch, on Xbox 360, but now have the PC version (Steam sale again... :p ) with a configuration that could probably run it 1080p 60fps (not a beast, but Darksiders is not that power hungry for the short time I tested it on my rig).

I replayed it recently. The game's combat system is fairly simple but really fun to play. It was awesome to play again. The only tedious part of the whole game is the puzzle elevator room.

DieH@rd

Banned

Play it with FXAA injector i posted in this page. Im currently replaying it [near Greaver's laor], and I'm having a blast.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Thanks for the tip (and for Dragonzord's input as well).

Is FXAA taxing, performance-wise?

It will knock off 5 fps at most. It's really untaxing I use it on some stuff when the in game stuff lags my system too much. Plus you can enable and disable it on the fly at the press of a button

DieH@rd

Banned
Thanks for the tip (and for Dragonzord's input as well).

Is FXAA taxing, performance-wise?

Expect ~2% loss, nothing to worry about [same as any other AA that you can enable in other games]. Its GPU shader based, so better gpu the lower fps drop.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
So can anyone confirm if the structure of Darksiders 2 is like the first game?

Sorta, now there are hub areas besides the main story parts for side quest with side dungeons and such. You still progress though the game in a zelda like fashion though. I really consider this game closer to SotN mixed with Zelda now than Pure Zelda

Anyone else using the Soul Harvest app? I am quickly beginning to loathe the Facebook check-in implementation. I am only seeing about 10 souls to harvest on my locations. In addition, I am completely wiping out my work and home areas. I wish they harvesting area would increase as you begin to wipe out what's nearby.

Maybe I am complaining too much for a marketing app? :p

Eh, still so hyped for DS2, it's the only thing quenching my desire.

forrest

formerly nacire
Anyone else using the Soul Harvest app? I am quickly beginning to loathe the Facebook check-in implementation. I am only seeing about 10 souls to harvest on my locations. In addition, I am completely wiping out my work and home areas. I wish they harvesting area would increase as you begin to wipe out what's nearby.

Maybe I am complaining too much for a marketing app? :p

Eh, still so hyped for DS2, it's the only thing quenching my desire.

I've been trying to use it, but I work from home and don't travel often so I really don't get an opportunity to harvest anything at all. Ill be lucky to do the second unlock by release. You really should be able to scroll around the map and not just be bound to locations by proximity.

Hindle

Banned
New interview over at N4G, they mention 4 player co op is a possibility for future games. I really hope not, the franchise isn't ready imo.

Phenomic

New interview over at N4G, they mention 4 player co op is a possibility for future games. I really hope not, the franchise isn't ready imo.

This seems like pretty hefty foreshadowing and I could totally see it or something similar happening. Darksiders ending spoilers.

I mean what else should they do with that awesome ending after Darksiders 1. I mean War summons all the other horse and and proclaims "No Not Alone"

Top Bottom