• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

VALIS

From the FAQ:

Presumably Valve is trying to provide people the ability to get community feedback for Minecraft-esque development. In practice that may not work, but it seems to me that posting early concepts doesn't go against what Valve directly said people could do. *shrug*

That's a horrible idea. It's going to be flooded with thousands of vague "I have an idea guys, what do u think??" submissions by next week. Why should there be voting on people's game concepts? Or if there is, put it in a whole different section, like Greenlight Concepts or something. It's already hard enough trying to find decent games among the morass now.

HoosTrax

I finally got my voting privileges restored. Don't know what triggered the temporary block. Anyhoo, I see some seriously slick-looking, not-necessarily-indie titles on there. Hope they'll unlock the ability to see vote tallies soon.

I finally got my voting privileges restored. Don't know what triggered the temporary block. Anyhoo, I see some serious slick looking, not-necessarily-indie titles on there. Hope they'll unlock the ability to see vote tallies soon.

It was punishment for voting in favor of Seduce Me.

Blizzard

Banned
That's a horrible idea. It's going to be flooded with thousands of vague "I have an idea guys, what do u think??" submissions by next week. Why should there be voting on people's game concepts? Or if there is, put it in a whole different section, like Greenlight Concepts or something. It's already hard enough trying to find decent games among the morass now.
I'm not saying it's a good idea. I'm just saying that Valve put it in their FAQ so presumably it was AN idea they had.

I think that a Greenlight Concepts (and maybe a Greenlight Wishlist) section would be good for the non-playable concepts and the Half-life-3 entries respectively. Someone email people in charge and get them to do it!

Razek

Banned
I wonder if I should even bother with this. I might try sticking mine on there later. I gave up at like 95% because I was getting panic attacks and couldn't handle development anymore.

HoosTrax

I wish there was a way to filter out stuff that you had previously viewed but weren't ready to upvote or downvote yet (i.e. something looks interesting but it's a work in progress). Makes it hard to find new things that have been added in the meantime.

Dawn of Fantasy looks amazing (maybe a little similar to King Arthur: Roleplaying Wargame and Total War).

From what I've seen so far, I think I need a big red button to systematically downvote all of LAYERNET's entries (simulator/tycoon shovelware and clone games).

VALIS

I'll certainly be adding more pictures as development continues. Right now we don't have any artists working with us, but we have two that have shown interest in joining recently.

Mmph.

I'm waiting for "the clerk at Gamestop in the mall thought it was a really good idea."

Someone should make a NeoGAF Collection so GAF can easily find things others had voted on.

That is a nice idea, why don't you put it on Greenlight. :p

Best game yet was World of Resources, with just a white picture and some text saying that it's an idea about a possbile game with resources and a world but I guess they removed it already.

There needs to be filters for IN-PROGRESS and READY TO RELEASE games.

For sure, and to go on further -- rating needs to be disabled for in-progress games.

Disappointed that a game's alpha/beta/demo can't be uploaded and managed from Steam. Pointing someone to a URL (especially when it isn't even clickable from within that text block) is pretty poor.

Crub

Still waiting for The Journey Down Under, Explodemon, Escape Goat and Defender's Quest to appear. They all deserve to be on Steam.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think they should make it if you have 2-3 flagged games that were fake, you should be banned from submitting games to the service. If the games are poor or not for Steam is up to the community, but the fake stuff should be taken off and if someone continues that they should be banned from the service.

Still debating on my game, the idea of showing you guys a bit for critique if i should submit it or not was a good suggestion.

HoosTrax

It would seem that Steam has set the bar pretty high as far as the number of votes required:

zomboid.jpg

Zomboid is one of the most popular entries so far that I've seen.

Blizzard

Banned
It would seem that Steam has set the bar pretty high as far as the number of votes required:

Zomboid is one of the most popular entries so far that I've seen.
I'm going to pull numbers out of my
hat
and guess that the target is currently set to 200,000 upvotes.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Maybe they it impossibly high to make sure none of the games can reach it before they can gauge a reasonable target? One would hope.

That's exactly what they're doing, which they confirmed in an interview I read a few weeks ago. Basically they'll see how the first few days go and then adjust.

HoosTrax

Ok I feel a little stupid. I favorited a handful of standout games, but I have no idea where to see my list of favorites now.

Haunted

Voted for some of the games in the Greenlight Bundle, and a couple people have been mentioning and looked good.

Also reported some of the obviously stolen attempts, but they seem fairly quick in removing those.

As someone else said, it does remind you of the XBLIG portion. Here's hoping the Steam community will be more discerning than the kind of games that are the top sellers there (oh, who am I kidding). A sort of initial vetting process for the actual Steam monkeys, offload some of the workload to the community while simultaneously promoting engagement and increase people's time spent on Steam.

Genius, really.

I hope Greenlight wouldn't be full of flash games a week later. I've seen nothing great yet but I assume it's because this is just the first day. Also I imagined Greenlight would carry more remakes but they aren't submitting probably because they are mostly free games and/or have legal issues.

Add OpenTTD to Greenlight already!

dot

Ok I feel a little stupid. I favorited a handful of standout games, but I have no idea where to see my list of favorites now.

Hoos, a way to get there is through the My Profile tab at the top and click My Screenshots/Videos/Workshop. There will be a tab for Greenlight and to the right is Favorites.

No easy way to get to it afaik. Games You've Rated isn't Favorites, zero.

HoosTrax

Hoos, a way to get there is through the My Profile tab at the top and click My Screenshots/Videos/Workshop. There will be a tab for Greenlight and to the right is Favorites.

Ah that did that trick, thanks!

Not seeing what you mean. I know where to see which games I've upvoted. That's not the same thing as a list of which games I've favorited (the star icon, not the thumbs up).
Once you favorited a game. Click on the favorite link. Goes to your favorites that you selected. Gotta go to greenlight tab and select favorites. They're not making it easy to find it.

I began upvoting and favoriting games. Whoops. Thought it included it in upvotes. It doesn't.

This is my voting system so far:
  • Does it have good art? Upvote
  • Does it have interesting gameplay? Upvote
  • Is it a remake/localisation of an existing game? Upvote

Zia

I'm suprised they even had to go the Greenlight route I would have assumed they would have contacts at Valve to push it through.

Maybe Valve reached out to them? I've voted for a handful of games that shouldn't need Greenlight.

Top Bottom