• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

C-Jo

Dastardly Jerks said:
The people there are pretty much the worst kind that exist outside of Surrey. Terrible selection of generic shops. Overpriced cinemas that suck in space compared to any of the Scotiabank venues...

I think we're all in agreement here.
I live a couple blocks away from Metrotown. You all speak the truth.

lupinko

Momar said:
I was thinking of driving up to Vancouver (from Seattle) for the weekend, maybe stay in a hostel for a night and explore the town a bit. Any suggestions? How's the weather looking, should I wait a little longer before exploring?

Vancouver's weather is pretty much identical to Seattle's.

Momar

aka Ryder
lupinko said:
Vancouver's weather is pretty much identical to Seattle's.

OK, I figured as much. I just figured, if I'm just gonna head up on my own for a day, I'd rather have some nice weather to walk around in.

Any nice places to sightsee? I've spent the last 3 months traveling around with friends, so I thought I'd enjoy myself a nice 3ish hour drive alone and just walk around town/take photos. Open to suggestions!

Leeness

NetMapel said:
Whoa a fellow White Rocker ? Seriously ? Hahaha wow

White Rock, home of the elderly, represent! Haha.

And yeah, that 351. I was so mad when they put in the Canada Line, but now I love it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nice pics. Looking at a west-coast vacation next month with my wife; might head up there. Any nice bed & breakfasts or recommended hotels for a trip like that? (Don't trust tripadvisor, people there way overrate shit hotels just for being cheap.)

Archer

AstroLad said:
Nice pics. Looking at a west-coast vacation next month with my wife; might head up there. Any nice bed & breakfasts or recommended hotels for a trip like that? (Don't trust tripadvisor, people there way overrate shit hotels just for being cheap.)

There are a couple of nice B&Bs in the West End, west of Denman. Close to Stanley Park. I forget the name of one of 'em, but it's on Robson, way close to the park. (Robson is a long street, it's not anywhere close to the crappy retail stores.)

Hey You

I love Vancouver. I live over on the Island, hardly get to go over on the ferry (Living with Parents Age here).

I've always wanted to visit the Suspension Bridge. Once I get my own car, I think I'll take a weekend trip over there.

Gastown is a also must-visit as well.

MoFuzz

Re: Stepho's suggestion in the OP, you can literally go 3 doors down to Taki's Taverna for the same food at the same price, without the lineup or wait.

It's not like Stepho's has bad food, but they are way overrated considering how many Greek restaurants there are in Vancouver, even in that neighbourhood of downtown.

That said, some great suggestions for those visiting or those unaware of the places to be in Van City.

MoFuzz said:
Re: Stepho's suggestion in the OP, you can literally go 3 doors down to Taki's Taverna for the same food at the same price, without the lineup or wait.

It's not like Stepho's has bad food, but they are way overrated considering how many Greek restaurants there are in Vancouver, even in that neighbourhood of downtown.

That said, some great suggestions for those visiting or those unaware of the places to be in Van City.

Yeah. I actually like Taki's more and the atmosphere inside was way cozier when I was there last.

Tiktaalik

Tabris said:
Oh, you don't go to Metrotown unless you're a 13 year old girl. (edit the OP with that info for uninformed)

But what if you want to play Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition? The arcade in Metrotown has it. I guess ESpot in Richmond has it too.

On the topic of Yaletown patios I'm gonna downvote that idea. A lot of them are right across from garbage dumpsters and it often reeks. Really I'm just gonna downvote Yaletown overall. Maybe it's because I worked in that area for 3 years but I'm sick of that place and I can't think of anything I really like about it.

Was just there on Monday. Visited Stanley Park and Queen Elizabeth Park / The Conservatory. We had shitty, rainy weather but it was still a good time. The Conservatory was really cool.

Roto13

I will miss Vancouver in the summer. It's nice when it's not raining, which is about two months out of the year.

Restaurants!

The India Bistro has a fantastic lunch buffet that I used to go to every Sunday afternoon and overdose on butter chicken and then go home and die and completely ruin my weekend but it was so worth it.

La Belle Patate has some awesome authentic poutine in like a million Baskin Robins flavours. Pretty cheap, too.

Firestorm

isny said:
Where's Firestorm!
Got a bunch of "homework" to finish up =/ My laptop hard drive crashed and I just realized I never backed up the InDesign version of my resume. Only the uneditable PDF is anywhere. So I am redoing that so I can update it and writing up a work term report all of which was technically due today but definitely won't be done.

So as an FYI for anyone doing SFU's co-op program, it's awesome for experience and I recommend everyone at the school get involved with it but there's annoying paperwork involved x.x

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
No mention of Gyoza King, or Guu's in the restaurant section? For shame, Firestorm. For shame.

robox

Tiktaalik said:
But what if you want to play Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition? The arcade in Metrotown has it. I guess ESpot in Richmond has it too.

chq at metro is pretty much the king of arcades in vancouver. espot has really fallen off as they haven't been keeping up with new releases.

Tabris

r - b - x said:
chq at metro is pretty much the king of arcades in vancouver. espot has really fallen off as they haven't been keeping up with new releases.

ESpot is where you go to play snooker.

Zozobra

Moved here in January after living in Winnipeg for 27 years. I will never live anywhere else, love this city!

Mr Nash said:
No mention of Gyoza King, or Guu's in the restaurant section? For shame, Firestorm. For shame.

I was going to put Gyoza King in my list but it has been a decade since I was there.

Kobe Steakhouse is another must do if the chef is entertaining that night.

I have heard that Toratatsu Tapas on Denman is very good

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
NetMapel said:
Hold on, no mention of Kintaro for the best Japanese ramen in Vancouver ? Seriously guys...

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/kintaro-ramen-noodle-vancouver

Yeah, they're good too. Kinda like Benkei Ramen as well, as I find their stuff less oily. I still have to try that new place that opened on Bute where the Thai restaurant used to be as well. That being said, Kintaro probably has the best ramen out there short of going to Japan.

Cheerilee

Best fish & chips in town is apparently Cockney Kings, in two locations, Burnaby and New Westminster. About $10 for two pieces of fish and fries and a bottomless pop, IIRC. Monday to Wednesday is all-you-can-eat. Unless you're a walking bottomless pit, AYCE usually means 3 or 4 pieces of fish, so it's like double value early in the week. The biggest drawback is that the place is often packed. This obviously affects the service level, but what more do you really need beyond "gimme fish" and they give you fish? Also, it has take-out.

Second best, former first best, is apparently Dave's Fish & Chips in Steveston (basically Richmond). It's more expensive than Cockney Kings for 2 pieces and fries, doesn't come with any drink, has no AYCE, and the quality has apparently become somewhat spotty since they started resting on their laurels. But if you happen to be in the Richmond area and crave some fish, it might be a better idea than a drive all the way out to New Westminster.

ruby_onix said:
Best fish & chips in town is apparently Cockney Kings, in two locations, Burnaby and New Westminster. About $10 for two pieces of fish and fries and a bottomless pop, IIRC. Monday to Wednesday is all-you-can-eat. Unless you're a walking bottomless pit, AYCE usually means 3 or 4 pieces of fish, so it's like double value early in the week. The biggest drawback is that the place is often packed. This obviously affects the service level, but what more do you really need beyond "gimme fish" and they give you fish? Also, it has take-out.
Seriously? Like the one at Kensington square? That's like within walking distance from my place. If it's as good as you say sir, I'll have to check it out soon.

Phoenix4

This thread is right on time. Going to Vancouver mid-june as a starting point of my three week BC-trip.
Vancouver, Rockies, north to Prince Rupert and through the inside passage and Vancouver Island to Victoria and back to Vancouver. Love to have some tips

Cheerilee

Barrow Roll said:
Seriously? Like the one at Kensington square? That's like within walking distance from my place. If it's as good as you say sir, I'll have to check it out soon.
It's supposed to exceed anything you can get from a non-dedicated place like a restaurant. Of course, I've never ordered fish at a restaurant, so I wouldn't know. My experience went from frozen fish sticks to these guys, and it was pretty great. It's still fish, but it's good fish.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
anaron said:
I'm on GAF reading about Cockney Kings.

lol
I live near a Cockney Kings @_@

Never been...

NetMapel said:
Hold on, no mention of Kintaro for the best Japanese ramen in Vancouver ? Seriously guys...

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/kintaro-ramen-noodle-vancouver
My Japanese teach says Santouka is the best!

I ate there and loved it, but I can't claim to have the world's most informed opinion on ramen so take that for what it's worth..

RC

Banned
ruby_onix said:

Second best, former first best, is apparently Dave's Fish & Chips in Steveston (basically Richmond). It's more expensive than Cockney Kings for 2 pieces and fries, doesn't come with any drink, has no AYCE, and the quality has apparently become somewhat spotty since they started resting on their laurels. But if you happen to be in the Richmond area and crave some fish, it might be a better idea than a drive all the way out to New Westminster.

Slanderous lies. The actual best place for fish and chips is Mr. Pickwicks.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Desibabu said:
Slanderous lies. The actual best place for fish and chips is Mr. Pickwicks.

Did they move? I saw the whole building on Denman fenced off, and looks like it's about to be torn down.

beat

MoFuzz said:

My Greek-Canadian friend says "Greeks don't let friends eat at Stepho's."

I'd add Sun Sui Wah and Kirin for high-end Cantonese dining.

And the Asian malls food court (Aberdeen, Yaohan, Parker Place, the Crystal, I'm sure there's a lot more) for an Asian food court experience without having to go to Asia. And the Richmond and Chinatown night markets (summer only). The former is way bigger and has way more food choices, but the latter is easier to get to (by transit) and it's not in the middle of nowhere.

Also, Vancouver has finally arrived - very late, yes - to the world of street food carts beyond just hot dogs. If you like that, definitely check out The Kaboom Box, Roaming Dragon, Coma Food Truck, and Eat Elis.

For shopping, would add Kits and Commercial Drive, Granville Island for sure. Main St too. Each has a different vibe - if I had to sum up those four in one word each, respectively they'd be yuppie, hippie, touristy, and hipster.

Events: You gotta include the Celebration of Light and the Jazz Festival.

everyone knows that vancouver is just a seattle north,
Vancouver is really quite different from Seattle. Both are geographically constrained by water, but Seattle is laid out like most NA cities with sprawl 'n' suburbs and highways. Vancouver has a remarkable dearth of highways compared to most NA cities and this changes the entire experience. (People may be willing to drive about the same amount of time, but 30-60 minutes covers less distance than it would in Seattle or the Bay Area.)

Victoria Chinese Restaurant is pretty good for downtown DimSum and regular traditional and North American Chinese food. Imperial is also pretty good and that is downtown.

Yeah, Mr. Pickwicks is toast. They were good but never amazing, but can fish and chips ever really be amazing?

If you want to stay downtown I can recommend The Hampton. Great location really as it is very close to BC Place, GM place, The Center Theater, Queen Elizabeth Theater, Vancouver Playhouse, and the Vancouver Public Library, and on the Robson strip.

The Westin on Robson is also a great location with pool and fitness facilites and is just as close to everything I just listed. Really you can't go too wrong with a hotel downtown. Everything is so close to everything else it is crazy.

Shopping, I recommend Pacific Center, a mall in the heart of the city. Has most regular chain stores like American Eagle, The Gap, Hollister, Guess, H&M, but also a really nice Sony Store, Bose, and Apple Store. After that I'd do Robson Street but it gets nuts on weekends and is more or less an outside version of Pacific Center.

For venues The Commodore is the defacto place to see bands play. Great intimate place with decent sound.

The Orpheum is lovely. Home of the VSO. You've probably seen the inside of it on TV in episodes of Battlestar Galactica.

The Vogue sucks balls. It is dark and dingy inside.

Shine Nightclub at the edge of Gastown is good. I saw Richard Durand do a dj set there and it was great.

Presco

I miss Vancouver so much. Lived there for 5 years during and just after undergrad. UBC was a great school and the city really got its hooks in me. Plan on moving back to somewhere in the Lower Mainland or possibly the island at some point. Might not be for another 20-30 years but my wife and I will definitely live out our days in BC.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Big-E said:
Even though I am currently away from my city, I would like to contribute as well. A relatively recent place that is great for lunch and is near the Cambie is Meat and Bread. Meat and Bread is just a sandwich place that doesn't have a lot of selection but it is not needed. The porchetta is fucking amazing and delicious. These aren't the biggest sandwiches in the world so you will need to buy 2 if you are really hungry but one deals with me just fine. This also isn't a place to linger to long as the seating situation is not meant for long talks or lunch meetings but this is irrelevant as the sandwiches are amazing. They also sell their own mustard and condiments on the side. Website here http://meatandbread.ca/
:OOOOO I'm going there immediately after work.
Big-E said:
Another restaurant recommendation is Les Faux Bourgeois which is off of Fraser and Kingsway. This isn't the area where you would expect a quaint little French Bistro but it is. Food here is great and the prices are reasonable with good serving sizes. Menu contains traditional French cuisine as well as specials every day. Only negative I have with this place is that there are large amount of hipsters usually but the same could be said for lots of restaurants including my earlier recommendation of Meat and Bread. Website here http://www.lesfauxbourgeois.com/
I live right next to this place. Those hipsters? My roommates.

Barrow Roll said:
If I still bought comics I'd be all over this.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
If anybody is in Langley, go to Estrellas on 200th. Best Montreal smoked meat sandwich this side of Montreal. Plus they have cherry coke.

Stuff Happening in Vancouver over the next while. Select highlights as I didn't want to grab everything

On Now - Cavalia until April 24th - Olympic Village

April 11th - Ice Cube - Commodore Ballroom
April 13th/14th - Video Games Live - The Center
April 30th - Tiesto - Pacific Colliseum
May 4th - Pixes - Orpheum
May 12th - System of a Down - Rogers Arena
May 27th - Armin Van Burren - Pacific Colliseum
May 31st - Sepultura - Vogue Theater
May 31st - Adele - Orpheum Theater
June - Vancouver Jazzfest - All Over
June 26th - Dropkick Murphys - Commodore Ballroom
July 19th - Katy Perry - Rogers Arena