• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's voice actor: HL3 not in dev for several reasons; insufficient Mo-Cap tech.

IFCc3Hr.jpg

A man can dream...

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
When the game is finally released, I want one of those huge pictures full of stats saying how many Call of Duty's were released, how even Rockstar completed several of its games that were in development hell, and all that kind of stuff.

Okay, lets listen to the guy who did voice work on a couple Valve games.

If this was really the case and they really want to have people look at you that much (ahahahaha), do they really have to use motion capture? Half Life 2 physics and body movements were better than most games today.

No, they look pretty awkward now.

Maybe I'm just thinking object physics then. Haven't played the game in years.

NBtoaster

Okay, lets listen to the guy who did voice work on a couple Valve games.

If this was really the case and they really want to have people look at you that much (ahahahaha), do they really have to use motion capture? Half Life 2 physics and body movements were better than most games today.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, and if they're doing facial capture, it really isn't that necessary. Naughty Dog didn't need no facial capture.

All hand made.

Maybe if we were talking about HL1. But the HL2 saga has very well done human animations. At least in the main characters.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I wouldn't be surprised to find out that HL3 isn't in development, but I don't think the voice actor is the guy you go to for confirmation.

Its been a while since someone at Valve actually confirmed if the game was still in development or not.

Someone should ask that. Just keep at it every year or two just so we can make sure.

Whenever it happens I just hope we get a honest "making of" of some kind like they did with Half Life 2 and Portal 2. This project must have gone through some shit and I want to know the dirt.

Wasn't the last rumour that it was turned into a open world RPG or something?

Its been a while since someone at Valve actually confirmed if the game was still in development or not.

Someone should ask that. Just keep at it every year or two just so we can make sure.

Whenever it happens I just hope we get a honest "making of" of some kind like they did with Half Life 2 and Portal 2. This project must have gone through some shit and I want to know the dirt.

Wasn't the last rumour that it was turned into a open world RPG or something?

I think there's also confusion about what "in development" means at a company like Valve. A team might have been working on concept art three years ago, and just decided to work on something else instead. People are reaching back to these old quotes to find some source of encouragement but what has been said could mean literally anything.

Animator

As someone who does animation for a living what the guy is saying is completely wrong and a textbook case of talking out of ones ass without knowing what they are talking about.

UrbanRats

Maybe they just don't have a nice enough idea to live up to the legacy, and don't want to release a good but not that amazing FPS just for the sake of it.

Enco

It's never going to get made anyway because Valve is a dedicated F2P community/microtransactions based software developer and digital storefront now.
This.

Valve don't want anything that won't make every penny possible.

In terms of micro transactions, Valve beats all. EA eat your heart out.

HL3 goes against that. Why make an expensive singleplayer game when you can make hats?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
what has sold more? half life or call of duty?

I guess many masterpieces are not groundbreaking because they haven't been seen or read very much.

EDIT: If Valve (Valve of all fucking videogame companies in the bloody world) is going to make games solely with micro transaction, while other companies, like EA doing a sequel to a game that didn't sell well (and will probably have some modern techniques of monetizing anyway, I know), are taking risks, I swear this industry is probably on its way to be worse.

Of all the money Valve makes, is there no way they can't invest on doing an isolated SP game instead of having to find a way to get money out of the users?

Frux7

Banned
I'm surprised they don't get more flack for this.

The reason they don't is because of the console gamers that switched over to PC gaming in the last few years. They saw great deals and decided to get down on their knees and thank Valve forever.

Luthos

What good could come from admitting it's not in development?

No love could come from that, just anger.

Man it'll get to the point that some people will get more angry at Valve for never saying anything than they ever would if Valve just came out and said it's not being worked on.

Half-Life 3, if it was being made, would easily be my most anticipated game. But I'm getting a little tired of the not knowing. Not that Valve owes us anything, but a little something would be nice. Either "it's not being made" or "it's early in the concept stage" or "yes it's being worked on" or something.

Insufficient Mo-Cap tech is hard to believe when your talking about a billion dollar company. They had the time and money to address the issue years ago but instead Valve is solely focused on adding useless crap like TF2 hats and trading cards to popular multiplayer games on Steam (or pre-orders) for profit. So much wasted potential. The only thing going for the company are its Steam Sales or what I'd like to call it.. the gamers version of Hansel and Gretel

DTKT

Who in their right mind would want to tackle Half Life 3? If what we know of working at Valve is true, then it has to come from someone who truly believes in the project and can gather enough people to help him create it.

I don't think there is such a person.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Who in their right mind would want to tackle Half Life 3? If what we know of working at Valve is true, then it has to come from someone who truly believes in the project and can gather enough people to help him create it.

I don't think there is such a person.

If there's no one at Valve that has the courage to tackle a risky and big project, then they are going to stagnate, and will be left behind in terms of storytelling mechanics.

Prove me wrong, Valve, I know you're reading this!

MEsoJD

Banned
The fuck!? I don't believe that HL3 isn't being worked on. It doesn't have to be revolutionary for fucks sake just give the fans closure.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Please, this is some actor who's probably not brought in until after the technology is done, the scenarios are written, and the gameplay is designed. Was this guy brought in to do voice work on HL2 before Valve had its revolutionary gravity gun working?

HL3 may not be directly in development, but they've gotta be doing pre-production.

So uhh, this article is 2 years old...

Rofl

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Please, this is some actor who's probably not brought in until after the technology is done, the scenarios are written, and the gameplay is designed. Was this guy brought in to do voice work on HL2 before Valve had its revolutionary gravity gun working?

HL3 may not be directly in development, but they've gotta be doing pre-production.

Well he and his wife (who voices GladOS and The Announcer) are pretty close to the Valve guys. But still doesn't mean they tell them about everything. Just saying that he isn't "some actor", not arguing the rest of your point, you're right.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
People, read the last 15 posts before yours, and you'll see why it appears as if he is posting old stuff.

Because the VA erased the comments done this month.

Tabris

I don't know why anyone would think they would apply a F2P model for a game like HL3. It already has an audience that would pay up front. The whole point of F2P is to get people to play a game that's new or they haven't heard of, hook them in, and have them buy a bunch of microtransactions that often add up to a full game value or more.

With HL3 they could just go full game + microtransactions, wouldn't need F2P model.

Does Valve even have that big of a development studio anymore to take on a game like HL3? They seem to focus on smaller games / experiments like DOTA and Portal, and the rest of the company is focused on Steam and maybe the next innovations (like Steambox?)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does Valve even have that big of a development studio anymore to take on a game like HL3? They seem to focus on smaller games / experiments like DOTA and Portal, and the rest of the company is focused on Steam and maybe the next innovations (like Steambox?)

Valve is, for all the jokes about Valve Time, actually very efficient. After F-STOP was canned in favour of a chronological Portal sequel with Chell and, uh, portals, the Portal 2 as we know it was content complete in just two years (December 2008 -> December 2010), and the team size maxed out at around 80 people.

Top Bottom