• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Community Thread |OT| Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
guJGdtQ.png

Welcome to the “Next Super Smash Bros. Discussion Official Thread”, and also our temporary Super Smash Bros. Community Thread. I know that I'm not the only one that would love to speculate about upcoming Smash Bros, so that's why I want to make a thread for most smash fans who would like to discuss such a topic. A special part about this thread is that it is also an opportunity to co-exist with the Super Smash Bros. community in general. Basically, we can also discuss aspects of Super Smash Bros, Sakurai, etc. Please keep in mind that this thread is just a temporary Super Smash Bros Community thread, so there wouldn't be one until after Smash NX get released.

The purposes of this thread?
It's a place for Smash fans to:

• Discuss the upcoming Smash Bros., via Smash NX.
  • Get together and discuss the Super Smash Bros. franchise
  • Discuss elements of the franchise, such as visual designs, character rosters, stage rosters, etc.
  • Discuss about Sakurai, as well as his developer & game design philosophy
  • Discuss Smash Bros. articles and Sakurai's articles
  • To keep Smash NX discussions out of NX threads, and keep Smash NX discussion in a dedicated thread much as possible. I know a few people were annoyed with NX threads being derailed by Smash Bros. discussions.
  • and more.

Upcoming Smash

What we know so far:

Let me emphasize that what we already know is basically rumors from reliable source(s). We don't have any idea on what to expect from Sakurai, Nintendo and Smash NX, other than the game is planned to be one of launch titles for upcoming console, NX.

The initial tweets regarding Smash NX came from one of the most reliable sources, known as Dr. Serkan Toto. He has been correct regarding numerous Nintendo rumors as far as I know. He broke the initial rumor on January 28, 2016.

Another source is Emily Rogers. I'm not sure if she heard the rumor from her own source, or just repeated what she heard from Dr. Toto. Hopefully we will get some kind of clarification on that.

Smash Bros. Franchise

I would get into discussions about the Smash Bros. franchise right now, but I think it would be better saved for Official Community Thread further down the line. All I will do right now for you is provid important links to sources and threads for information.

It's the best site for very reliable informations related to Smash Bros, Sakurai, etc. If you want to find certain information, then this best place to start. It's our Smash Bible.

Competitive Super Smash Bros. Melee Discussion Thread
A great place for people who really enjoy discussing Super Smash Bros. Melee's competitive nature.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC OT2
If you want to challenge someone on GAF to play the games with. It's essentially a matchmaking and competitive discussion thread now, so feel free to drop by. More information on each specific game can be found at the following links: Smash for 3DS (click here) or Smash for Wii U (click here).

Please subscribe to this thread as it will eventually be moved to the Community Forum after 30-31 days. Click on the button (either way) to sub this thread.

Chatrooms
IRC Chat
Server: irc.rizon.net
Channel: #SmashGAF
Mibbit Link to Chat

Discord
Private Message me for the invites.

Credits:
The amazing banner was done by Alistair Roo
English Correction by Lucas and Toadsili T
Inspiration and homage to old community thread by Snakeye

nHy78pb.png

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
really doubt I'm gonna get this one unless they include more than a few characters

maybe hazard toggle will do it for me

TheJoRu

1370633706-1370633018877.jpg

Sakurai will most likely look like a child by the time the next Smash Bros. releases (as in Smash 5, not the NX version of Smash 4).

CronoShot

I don't expect much beyond having all the DLC and maybe balance tweaks (which we already get through patches, but the NX version would probably ensure patch support for a while).

I'd like to see Wolf and Ice Climbers come back though.

Aizo

Banned
I'm holding out for Wolf to return, but I wonder how many new characters will be included. What sort of features can they use to entice Wii U Smash owners?

Stopdoor

Wonder if NX will be able to do 8-player mode, if not that at least justifies the Wii U version for me.

Not sure if I'd want the NX version to be a port or superset of the Wii U version or maybe have different stages like the 3DS game. The last one is probably unlikely, I guess.

Honestly not expecting new content. It'll probably just be everything in one package.

EDIT: The game would probably improve if they removed Smash Tour.

EDIT 2: Oh shit I just realized they could have the 3DS stages in this one.

Stopdoor

Y'know, maybe Smash would make them consider 8-player system-wide right from the start, could bode well for Gamecube controller compatibility in other games and more wireless connections.

But they could always half-ass it and lock it down to just Smash again, I guess.

Clefargle

Oh the hype in this thread is gonna be great!

I'm fine with the smash 4 engine, I have a shortlist of things I would really like to see implemented though:

- More stages and add in some of the 3ds stages like Yoshis island or corneria

- More new characters and round out the last few missing veterans (wolf, IC, Snaaaaake, and maybe Pokemon"

- New modes and maybe story shit

- New AMIIBO functions (scanning in controller settings/tag or even custom move loadouts for your own character)

- Customs for all dlc and new characters

I know it's a lot but it would make me soooo happy

Enforced

I'm expecting them to bring the 3DS stages to NX version in HD form. I'm excited again. Lol

Also I want more alternative costume like Wario's. My wish is Sakurai give Rosalina a ponytail as a alternative costume in NX version.

I hope Sakurai is still on his holiday by the time this reaches OT2.

Dude's earned it.

Besides, Smash 4 has plenty of life left in it.

-shadow-

As long as Bayonetta is still in I don't care what they'll do with the character list. Bayonetta is life!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm fully expecting Smash 5 to be Sm4sh+. Includes the DLC, possibly some of the 3DS content, maaaaaybe some new stages and a few new game modes.

Probably no new characters at release, but DLC could be a thing for a few characters like Inklings. Gameplay changes small enough to qualify as a balance patch.

No Smash 6 until whatever comes after NX.

Honestly not expecting new content. It'll probably just be everything in one package.

EDIT: The game would probably improve if they removed Smash Tour.

EDIT 2: Oh shit I just realized they could have the 3DS stages in this one.

Admittedly I barely played Smash 4 before going back to Melee and PM, but I found Smash Tour to be the most fun part of the game with actual people. It's so bad with CPUs it might as well not even support them though.

I actually don't think the NX Smash will be "mathematically" superior to Wii U one. I expect some feature cuts that 95% of players won't care about. That said, Sakurai isn't exactly stupid, so if SF5 fiasco was similar in Japan to what we apparently got in the West, these won't be comparable.

However what exactly could that be depends on exact nature of the NX.

So...has anyone messed around with Smash 4 mods lately?

Very recently an fairly easy to use Wii U exploit came out and you can set it by just following these here instructions. http://pastebin.com/ES053DpJ

Got some custom music and also downloaded That Smash 4 Modder's mod pack which contains all the crazy stuff he's shown off like Ganondorf having witch time.

Really can't wait to see how Smash 4 modding progresses over time. I think it has the potential to be even crazier than Brawl's. For example, soon we'll be able to add music slots without replacing pre-existing ones.

Ch1p6-BUUAAWC7B.jpg:large

I miss you SmashGAF <3

So...has anyone messed around with Smash 4 mods lately?

Very recently an fairly easy to use Wii U exploit came out and you can set it by just following these here instructions. http://pastebin.com/ES053DpJ

Got some custom music and also downloaded That Smash 4 Modder's mod pack which contains all the crazy stuff he's shown off like Ganondorf having witch time.

Really can't wait to see how Smash 4 modding progresses over time. I think it has the potential to be even crazier than Brawl's. For example, soon we'll be able to add music slots without replacing pre-existing ones.

Ch1p6-BUUAAWC7B.jpg:large

FUCK, I NEED THIS

Any more info on the music thing???? Like, when the whole slot thing is coming? Aside from HD Magicant, that's like my No. 1 Smash NX wish.

SuperSah

Banned
I expect nothing more than a re-release of the 3DS and Wii U content merged on the NX platform.

I don't really expect new characters - if so, it may be veterans. I doubt a new fighter will appear.

Neoxon

As stated before, I'm not expecting anything in the name of additional characters. That being said, I can understand why people are hyping themselves up for more characters. I'm just taking the path with the lower chance of disappointment. Maybe we could get the 3DS stages re-done in HD (which could be substantial enough to justify double-dipping), but that remains to be seen. If by some miracle we do get more characters, it'll probably be characters that were previously worked on but were scrapped for one reason or another (Ice Climbers, the Rhythm Heaven rep who were likely the Chorus Kids) or veterans who would be easy to implement (Wolf).

But I'll say this, though. Smash 4 on the NX Console has to have GameCube Adapter support, or some kind of wired controller support, if Nintendo wants the competitive Smash scene to give a shit about it.

EhoaVash

I'm not expecting the rumored NX port to be all that. I'm just expecting it to have all the dlc stuff included that's about it.

If they decided to include new stuff....then what about smash 5?? NX will be 2 years after the release of smash 4, way too soon for a new smash. But NX will need a smash game early on. It needs all the help it can get. why it makes sense to port smash u ( would be killer if they included melee HD rerelease with it LOL)

I can see them annoucning development on smash 5 while annoucning smash 4 All dlc included version, with sakurai being a producer this time, handling the director work to someone else from the smash 4 team. And that game will be 3 years away from release.

Smash for NX
Still same core as Smash for Wii U/3DS
Balance Bayo's 0-D by allowing you to DI out of it, forcing her to make reads (As the trailer suggested was the case)
Hazard Toggle
3DS stages added in
Smash Run Online.
DLC all in.

That's all it needs. IMO.

Revisiting Melee made me remember just how badass the Adventure Mode was.

Give me that, some new stages + some from the 3DS, a handful of characters (Wolf, ICs, and Inkling are essential), flesh out the SF and FF universes, and give the DLC fighters events and customs, and we're golden.

ffdgh

Next smash? Sure why not i'm ready for another ride.
KuGsj.gif

It's a hopeless endeavour but I'd love if the nx smash port exists/comes we get character costumes lol

Revisiting Melee made me remember just how badass the Adventure Mode was.

Give me that, some new stages + some from the 3DS, a handful of characters (Wolf, ICs, and Inkling are essential), flesh out the SF and FF universes, and give the DLC fighters events and customs, and we're golden.

Speaking of melee adventure mode(and classic), it's a damn shame that the metal bros mini bosses never returned and that metal boss theme too....and gigabowser

Oh how I'd love an extended melee adventure mode....

Neoxon

Smash for NX
Still same core as Smash for Wii U/3DS
Balance Bayo's 0-D by allowing you to DI out of it, forcing her to make reads (As the trailer suggested was the case)
Hazard Toggle
3DS stages added in
Smash Run Online.
DLC all in.

That's all it needs. IMO.
Uhh, you can DI out of her combos. In fact, competitive players have already learned how to properly do so.

ffdgh

Uhh, you can DI out of her combos. In fact, competitive players have already learned how to properly do so.

Wasn't it recently found out that bayo's combos effectively treat everyone as if they were all the same weight? (100)

Neoxon

Wasn't it recently found out that bayo's combos effectively treat everyone as if they were all the same weight? (100)
Only when special moves are active. The trick is to DI when Bayonetta's arial normals are active.

Top Bottom