• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2016 | When Ember leaves start to fall

Wew that bullet hell game. Thanks. Also yesterday I was out for most of the day travelling. put in like 3 hours of gaming each on my iPad and Vita. I love portable gaming.
Seriously. It's the best mobile bullet hell I've played in a long time

That first boss...dayum

awp69

You guys do know that Bullet Hell Monday is by the same dev as the .Decluster games, right? I'm torn on it. I love the fact that it is more colorful (and thus clearer to play) but the levels are oddly short. I mean I like shorter for mobility and to play here and there but these are too short IMO.

Overall, it is really fun though.

Erebus

B. H. Monday is really addicting! Thanks for suggesting it.

Do you guys play with High Resolution enabled in the settings?

You guys do know that Bullet Hell Monday is by the same dev as the .Decluster games, right? I'm torn on it. I love the fact that it is more colorful (and thus clearer to play) but the levels are oddly short. I mean I like shorter for mobility and to play here and there but these are too short IMO.

I think the shorter levels works in its favor. Each stage is a hand-crafted gauntlet, and just long enough to challenge you wihout becoming a slog. Plus once you beat the first boss, you unlock the endless Challenge stages

I mentioned last month that a Monster Strike-style game called Treasure Buster (from the developer behind Slayin') is coming soon.

Now it's been confirmed that it's finally coming this Thursday for just $0.99.
https://twitter.com/FDG_Games/status/783295728156286976
en-UK_TreasureBuster_iphone6_1.png
en-UK_TreasureBuster_iphone6_2.png
en-UK_TreasureBuster_iphone6_4.png

I've been definitely looking forward to this for the music alone.

awp69

I think the shorter levels works in its favor. Each stage is a hand-crafted gauntlet, and just long enough to challenge you wihout becoming a slog. Plus once you beat the first boss, you unlock the endless Challenge stages

The more I play this, the more I'm enjoying it. I actually think I like it better than the .Decluster games. The visual variety and mix of "missions" definitely benefits it over those games, which are fantastic themselves but suffer a bit from mute color palettes and repetitive gameplay.

nampad

Is there any gameplay video of Titanfall? I want to know if it is more like Clash Royale or more like Hearthstone.

Splinter

Any recommendations for an action/RPG game, preferably a full game with no pay to play nonsense. Something robust enough that it feels like a full game worth spending time in and diving into. I'm really wanting a fully explore lie world, good story, fun gameplay. Turn based is ok, but I usually prefer some sort of action.

Any recommendations for an action/RPG game, preferably a full game with no pay to play nonsense. Something robust enough that it feels like a full game worth spending time in and diving into. I'm really wanting a fully explore lie world, good story, fun gameplay. Turn based is ok, but I usually prefer some sort of action.
Ember would be up your alley

Jarsonot

The World Ends With You might fit the bill, too. You should probably double-check that it works with your ios version, though.

Splinter

Ember would be up your alley

Thanks, looks like Diablo from the screenshots. Is it multiplayer? Raids, co-op, PvE, PvP?

The World Ends With You might fit the bill, too. You should probably double-check that it works with your ios version, though.

Ah I remember that from my Nintendo DS days, never played it but I remember reading about it. Not sure if I want to spend $18. I use an IPhone 7 and iPad mini 2.

Also. How's Ocean Horn? It looks fantastic from the screens, almost too good to be true. Very much like LoZ:WW.

awp69

Thanks, looks like Diablo from the screenshots. Is it multiplayer? Raids, co-op, PvE, PvP?

Ember is technically turn based. Closer to Baldur's Gate than Diablo. No multiplayer or co-op. But it's got a more action RPG feel with the battles taking place in real-time based on your default attacks and special attacks through the UI. But it's also got a pause system that allows you to pre-plan those attacks and have them carried out after pressing play.

Honestly, I think it's one of the best RPGs on iOS having been built with the touch screen in mind. Ports of action RPGs like Titan Quest have not been as successful in making them work on iOS with wonky controls and Baldur's Gate itself is okay but still not a great experience for mobile IMO.

Ember's combat with lots of loot, great environments and UI as well as a decent story have it near or at the top of my GoTY list so far.

----

Might want to give Ire: Blood Memory a try. It's F2P but does have raids ("invasions") and while no real time multiplayer, you can bring in AI versions of other players to fight along side of you.

It's got a Dark Souls vibe and difficulty but I feel the monitization is fair and the just released 2.0 version is very slick.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Not only...I think it has been pulled.

Yeah, Apple started pulling non-compatible apps a few weeks ago ahead of iOS 10 launch, but it's been installed on my phones over the generations ever since it released. Sad that Rodeo went out of business.

I just got my iPhone 7 today and migrated everything over so was just testing apps and found out. :(

PittaGAF

Yeah, Apple started pulling non-compatible apps a few weeks ago ahead of iOS 10 launch, but it's been installed on my phones over the generations ever since it released. Sad that Rodeo went out of business.

I just got my iPhone 7 today and migrated everything over so was just testing apps and found out. :(

Eh :(
At least I can happily confirm both Warhammer Quest and Deathwatch work like a charm.

hollomat

Banned
Oh, that's what is delaying Jade Empire? Why were we able to get a KOTOR port, but Jade Empire has trouble?

I believe so. From the article on toucharcade about the launch of Jade empire (when it was initially supposed to launch the same day toucharcade announced it) they said there were unforseen circumstances between Aspyr and EA leading to the delay. I'm assuming it has to be something that wasn't cleared by EA or a disagreement over the licensing costs.

http://toucharcade.com/2016/08/17/jade-empire-comes-to-mobile/

I agree, seems like if Aspyr already did KOTOR with EA, they'd know what needs to be in place legally. And you'd assume that would all be hammered out before the port even starts, let alone hammered out once it finishes.

awp69

I'm sorry Sky Force and Phoenix 2, you've been dethroned.

Honestly, Phoenix 2 sucked in comparison to its predecessor.

Air Attack 2 still probably reigns as my favorite iOS shmups along with pretty much every Cave game. Sky Force 2014 is up there too.

But BH Monday is a fun game that kind of has its own feel. Still punishing as a bullet hell but arcadey at the same time. Good stuff.

Edit: Anothet favorite is Sine Mora, which I know some complained about its controls, but is epic, diverse and a more story driven experience.

SteveWD40

Is Darkest Dungeon still making it to iOS or the port has been canned?

Not canned (officially) but certainly not imminent if it comes at all. Seems the line is "we said it would be cool, not that we are actually doing it".

Based on the issues with the PS4 and Vita ports (UI / crashes) I would say they will be busy for a while.

Yea everything is great but I agree about the stages being too short.

Oynox

I'm sorry Sky Force and Phoenix 2, you've been dethroned.
I think you cannot compare Sky Force to the latter. To me, there are "simple" shmups and bullet hell shmups. Since I do not like the last kind I also dislike Bullet Hell Monday but fairly enjoy the Soy Force games and others alike.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I mentioned last month that a Monster Strike-style game called Treasure Buster (from the developer behind Slayin') is coming soon.

Now it's been confirmed that it's finally coming this Thursday for just $0.99.
https://twitter.com/FDG_Games/status/783295728156286976

I've been definitely looking forward to this for the music alone.

I am fascinated by this. Monster Strike was actually a lot of fun despite being a huge gacha cash grab with garbage rates. The co-op made things exciting and the mechanics were interesting. If this game here delivers that gameplay without the IAP gacha system, I'll be all over it.

Also, in response to my original question Pathfinder and the response by Jarsonot, I have decided to give it a shot. The mechanics are a bit confusing, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. It seems like it could be a lot of fun. The only MAJOR issue I have is that I am completely unsure of what the store offers. There's a whole bunch of crap - gold, scenarios, treasure chests, etc. If I get to the point where I want to buy anything, I know I'll have to lookup the "optimal purchase" to get what I want. That seems like such a shitty solution, but we'll see.

Jarsonot

I am fascinated by this. Monster Strike was actually a lot of fun despite being a huge gacha cash grab with garbage rates. The co-op made things exciting and the mechanics were interesting. If this game here delivers that gameplay without the IAP gacha system, I'll be all over it.

Also, in response to my original question Pathfinder and the response by Jarsonot, I have decided to give it a shot. The mechanics are a bit confusing, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. It seems like it could be a lot of fun. The only MAJOR issue I have is that I am completely unsure of what the store offers. There's a whole bunch of crap - gold, scenarios, treasure chests, etc. If I get to the point where I want to buy anything, I know I'll have to lookup the "optimal purchase" to get what I want. That seems like such a shitty solution, but we'll see.

Hey it just got updated, too!

My thoughts on the gold in the game:

You can spend gold on chests, unlocking a new character, or unlocking a new adventure. I'd ignore the chests for now - they contain cards that get put into the random pool while you're playing (so you may encounter them), or dice skins.

I was torn between getting another character or adventure. I ended up getting the adventure figuring that if I'm eventually going to have to grind, I'd rather have more options to grind. Also you get permanent character rewards the first time you beat the adventures, so my characters would be stronger, making grinding easier.

So I saved up for the adventure, and then another character, without having to grind at all. At that point I bought the daily gold, to support the developer (I'm playing it quite a bit). I'll probably burn that daily gold money on chests or something; just by playing I'm earning a good amount.

I think if you find the game fun, and enjoy playing it, it's not really grinding anymore. I'm just, like, playing the game, man. =)

awp69

Picked up Smashing the Battle last night. Magic Cube ported it from PC where it has gotten pretty positive reviews on Steam.

It's a fun hack n' slash beat 'em up and is launching for $.99 (normally will be $4.99 and it's $11.99 on Steam).

I actually bought it on Android because it said it was compatible with my Shield TV (it's not ...or at least not fully). The mobile interface is a bit too busy with lots of buttons but I've still found it to be enjoyable and hopefully Magic Cube will take some feedback in at least making them transparent.

Anyway, I'd say it's a bargain at $.99, especially if they can tweak the UI.

http://apple.co/2dAVfMl

okno

So. I've been playing Ire since the relaunch. Had played it before, so I had a bunch of gold and diamonds and bone shards. Been playing a bunch, just got to lvl 9 and had over 100,000 gold, 3,000 diamonds and 1,xxx shards. Just did the update that was required today and had my account reset :/ I wasn't very far, and can get right back to where I was easily, but this sucks. Heads up to anyone else who might be playing it.

awp69

So. I've been playing Ire since the relaunch. Had played it before, so I had a bunch of gold and diamonds and bone shards. Been playing a bunch, just got to lvl 9 and had over 100,000 gold, 3,000 diamonds and 1,xxx shards. Just did the update that was required today and had my account reset :/ I wasn't very far, and can get right back to where I was easily, but this sucks. Heads up to anyone else who might be playing it.

Ouch. That sucks. I thought all of that account stuff was on their servers so I wonder if we're all hosed.

I haven't updated yet. Not sure I should.

Edit: guess if the update is required then might not have a choice. Maybe I'll wait and see if they release a newer update.

okno

Ouch. That sucks. I thought all of that account stuff was on their servers so I wonder if we're all hosed.

I haven't updated yet. Not sure I should.

Edit: guess if the update is required then might not have a choice. Maybe I'll wait and see if they release a newer update.

I thought so, too. There was some server maintenance last night, as well, and then today when I launched it would take me to the App Store to update and wouldn't load until I updated. I can't find any way within the app to log out of my current character and onto my old one. Not a big deal at all, but I did have a really sweet mace with a burst effect that made the game a joyful breeze.

awp69

I thought so, too. There was some server maintenance last night, as well, and then today when I launched it would take me to the App Store to update and wouldn't load until I updated. I can't find any way within the app to log out of my current character and onto my old one. Not a big deal at all, but I did have a really sweet mace with a burst effect that made the game a joyful breeze.

Yeah, saw the server maintenance last night. Wonder if that's what killed account data. Maybe I'll install it on my Mini 2 and see what happens before updating on my 6S+.

Anyone get Feral Fury? Might not mind a Issac style game (although this looks more like Enter the Grungeon).

Post-Chapter 3, I can say without a doubt that Bullet Hell Monday is probably my favorite shmup on mobile. $6 well spent

And I'd argue the short levels are absolutely a strength. Nice concentrated bullet hell action that is challenging enough to feel satisfying without lasting long enough to feel like a slog. The variety in enemies is great, and the way the game rewards as you progress is excellent

awp69

Vanquisher is an impressive dual-stick shooter that came out of nowhere. If you're interested, might want to grab it in the US as it's $.99 and reading the TA thread it's much higher priced in other countries. Could be a pricing mistake.

Has some currency IAPs that seem unnecessary.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=1130898718&mt=8

----

Ire update. Installed on my mini 2 and it won't open and still redirects to the App Store despite installing the latest version. I'd recommend staying away until a new update is out.

okno

Yeah, saw the server maintenance last night. Wonder if that's what killed account data. Maybe I'll install it on my Mini 2 and see what happens before updating on my 6S+.

Anyone get Feral Fury? Might not mind a Issac style game (although this looks more like Enter the Grungeon).

Got home after being out for most of that and logged in to find me logged into my old account. Seems like it was a weird little server glitch. Yahoo!

Also, Bullet Hell Monday is a blast.

Also, super excited to try Feral Fury. Never played inding of Issac, so I'm excited to see what all this "issac-like" talk is all about.

Got home after being out for most of that and logged in to find me logged into my old account. Seems like it was a weird little server glitch. Yahoo!

Also, Bullet Hell Monday is a blast.

Also, super excited to try Feral Fury. Never played inding of Issac, so I'm excited to see what all this "issac-like" talk is all about.
Eh...it's okay, but won't give you a very good idea of what Binding of Isaac is like. Do you not play on PC or PS4? You should check out BoI there

awp69

Eh...it's okay, but won't give you a very good idea of what Binding of Isaac like. Do you not play on PC or PS4? You should check out BoI there

So you've played Feral Fury? To me it looked more like Enter the Gungeon (which I love) than Binding of Issac. That said, the video I saw of the gameplay looked oddly slower paced. I like ETG because it has that bullet hell element to it. Wasn't sold on how Feral Fury compared to either of those two.

Also, looks like I was right on Vanguisher. It's $5.99 now on the US store. Have to play more to see if I'd still recommend it at that price.

Top Bottom