• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG tops 8 million copies sold and 700K concurrent users

Not when everybody is using one.

I mean, it will be a level playing field, but this isn't the type of game which will feel right with a controller, I don't think. You can play Counter-Strike with a controller, but it still feels rubbish, even if everyone else is.

From the accuracy required from the shooting, to the inventory management, this is the definition of a keyboard and mouse game for me.

Par Score

Oh Cabbagehead is the guy who loves Star Citizen and yet feels the need to drop a shitpost in every PUBG thread and never responds to anyone who replies and informs him with actual facts about the game and it's development progress. Since he writes essays about how the development of Star Citizen is so often misunderstood you would think he'd be a little more sympathetic.

Yeah, I was wondering how he squares his stated opinions on Star Citizen with his stated opinions on Early Access more generally, but I guess the answer is he doesn't.

Some people are werid.

It's really, really not worth it to reply to Cabbagehead. He's a notorious PUBG shitposter, and can't look at himself especially since he's a ardent Star Citizen(!) defender.

deleted

It is insane to see a success like this play out live.

It will be really interesting if it manages to catch the esports crowd too, because that would generate even more hype and longevity and it is probably one of the hardest games to figure out a well made esports modus.

100 players at the same time with commentators, directors and 100 rigs all playing live with face facing cameras sounds very expensive to set up and very hard to follow in a good way.

GlamFM

Banned
100 players at the same time with commentators, directors and 100 rigs all playing live with face facing cameras sounds very expensive to set up and very hard to follow in a good way.

Sounds awesome actually.

That´s something I would watch.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Sounds awesome actually.

well, there will be the first official tournament at Gamescom this week, but I have no clue if they have all the players really there or if they play from away...

86529eeaaec624176f3fcf2898e6fa10a14de269.jpg

Amandeep

Makes me sad that all my laptop can manage is 40-50 fps with dips to 30 with everything low :( wish I had a decent pc since it looks so fun when others play.

deleted

Sounds awesome actually.

Yeah it does - it sounds like mess too though :p

well, there will be the first official tournament at Gamescom this week, but I have no clue if they have all the players really there or if they play from away...

Yep, pretty excited how that will turn out. The first invitational was pretty barebones, but at the same time it showed a lot of potential.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOC1m3oSoOc
It will be interesting to see how it developed from there.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

Its a squads tourney I believe, not sure if its 100 or 64 though. I do know Ninja is there with his team and possibly Viss with TSM?

Falchion

This is really going to blow up after it launches on console. I know there's a ton of people like me that have been waiting for a chance to play it.

This place, despite being supposedly an enthusiast forum, is super mainstream. I don't use that in a derogatory way - but it's the total opposite of what enthusiast forums usually are.

Enthusiast forums are usually the ones championing underground, indie stuff (not just talking about games, here). Grassroots success stories like this are supposed to be fuelled in part by forums like NeoGAF.

But in large part due to the phobia many on here seem to have for anything that doesn't fit the mould of their standard, AA-AAA single player focused console games. What they grew up with, the games that they never had to seek out - the ones that were advertised to them in magazines, on TV and appeared prominently on store shelves, NeoGAF doesn't feel like the place that has any real part in the success of these types of games.

It feels like the loudest crowd on here is ultra conservative when it comes to games, and PUBG is just another one of those online focused games that the industry is trending towards. To them this stuff is inexplicably popular. Just look at the GOTY threads a few weeks back regarding this game, a reasonable amount of people just couldn't conceive of the idea that a game like this could be considered 'GOTY'.

Some people over here are hostile or at least dismissive of this game for the same reason they're dismissive to many games that aren't AA-AAA single player focused games.

What a post! Some of the best I've read on this site.

But you forgot to add one thing: JAPANESE. This forum drools over all things japanese. If you were to take your info only from it, it would seem that Persona and Nier are bigger than Counter Strike. Besides, if Yoko Taro or Fumito Ueda were credited even as serving coffee for Playerunknown in the credits, PUBG would automatically be GAF's darling.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This place, despite being supposedly an enthusiast forum, is super mainstream. I don't use that in a derogatory way - but it's the total opposite of what enthusiast forums usually are.

Enthusiast forums are usually the ones championing underground, indie stuff (not just talking about games, here). Grassroots success stories like this are supposed to be fuelled in part by forums like NeoGAF.

But in large part due to the phobia many on here seem to have for anything that doesn't fit the mould of their standard, AA-AAA single player focused console games. What they grew up with, the games that they never had to seek out - the ones that were advertised to them in magazines, on TV and appeared prominently on store shelves, NeoGAF doesn't feel like the place that has any real part in the success of these types of games.

It feels like the loudest crowd on here is ultra conservative when it comes to games, and PUBG is just another one of those online focused games that the industry is trending towards. To them this stuff is inexplicably popular. Just look at the GOTY threads a few weeks back regarding this game, a reasonable amount of people just couldn't conceive of the idea that a game like this could be considered 'GOTY'.

Some people over here are hostile or at least dismissive of this game for the same reason they're dismissive to many games that aren't AA-AAA single player focused games.

Tell us how you really feel.

MaximL

Depends on support and content adn features and if they add them

There's also mod support as well. There's potential here to build a not just a great game but a great base for others to build on (like the BR mod itself did).

I've already seen some custom games like 50v50, zombies etc. Once this has been fully released with maps and a great feature set there are limitless of possible mods/games that can be made.

jeffc919

I bought a PC for this. how ridiculous is that. and I have put in close to 300 hours.

Likewise. Closing in on 600 rounds played (and 8 solo wins) and I'm more hooked on the game than ever, despite it being in early access, with some bugs, only 1 map, and not being feature complete.

What is it about this game (and it's success) that gets so much ire from people?

I wish I knew. I have a friend just wants to completely shit on it whenever I talk about it.

also incredibly that they made the game look like a terrible Unity game

cheap moneygrabs with streamerbait and not much substance

isn't the main appeal that it's so basic? spawn, loot, kill
and lots of waiting inside bushes
getting killed from nowhere. what fun that is

Nothing I do or say can convince him otherwise. I guess because it's really popular? I don't get it. I didn't really understand the appeal until I played it, but I never haaaaaaaated it for no reason.

wut.

no.... it's definitely "PUB-Gee"

I refuse to call it that. No.....

I'll just call it Battlegrounds.

"Pub gee" sounds... dumb.

Aters

That's a pretty amazing Japan share. At the current numbers, it means more than 215k.
I sometimes got the impression that there aren't even that many gaming PCs in Japan :p

Quite likely the biggest PC game in Japan right now. Hell the game appears in anime.

Top Bottom