• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SteamWorld Dig 2 is outpacing previous installments, Switch sales are strong

Opa-Pa

Very happy to read this. Their games are so great, it's awesome to learn talented indie devs are finding success. I hope the multi platform release gives them more momentum.

I haven't started it myself yet, but got it day 1 anyway to support them.

I really hope they bring the first Dig and Heist to the Switch. I own them both on other platforms but their games are so perfectly suited to the portability of the Switch

Yeah, same. I own both on Vita and they are great there, so naturally Switch would be the definitive platform for them.

A fan asked about SteamWorld Dig 2’s sales on Twitter, the developer responded:

I can't (or won't, doesn't matter) divulge actual figures, but #SWD2 has started way, way better than both the original Dig and SW Heist. ->
— Image & Form Games (@ImageForm) September 24, 2017

-> We have seen only the first-day sales on Switch... when we first saw the figures, we were sure we were reading them incorrectly. But...!!

http://nintendoeverything.com/steamworld-dig-2-sales-off-to-a-very-strong-start-on-switch/

Very happy to read this. Their games are so great, it's awesome to learn talented indie devs are finding success. I hope the multi platform release gives them more momentum.

I haven't started it myself yet, but got it day 1 anyway to support them.

Yeah, same. I own both on Vita and they are great there, so naturally Switch would be the definitive platform for them.

Yep, their games are so awesome. I literally played Steamworld Heist on my Vita for like 2 weeks straight, playing levels over and over. They are like Crack.

Plum

The hookshot movement is fun as hell.

Would love to see someone speed run this game.

Getting the optimal speed run route is going to take ages. Finding the perfect digging route to optimise travel time should be real interesting.

They made the amazing Severed and the amazingly overrated Guacamelee.
pug-dog-reaction-turns-around-slowly-13915564480.gif

this is fantastic news! almost done with the game myself, im in the last third (playing on Switch)... game deserves every bit of success.

also, its apparently outselling Pokken, which is very interesting.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I will buy this if I have a switch. I got their 3DS game, and it was so good I went to buy their Steamworld DSiware before the DSiware shop close.

D_prOdigy

I'm trying to scrape my way through the final boss(es?) on Thumper before I get this, but it's looking like an impossible task, so I may just bite

StereoVsn

Interesting. I liked the first game but dug Heist a lot more. Still, considering I am getting a Switch this week, might grab it on that or PS4... or both. :p

cbrun44

I feel like I should get this now to support the devs even though I know I won't actually get to it for a while. Wish this would have arrived in July - early August. That would have been perfect.

But regardless... looks fantastic! And glad to see the success. Can't wait to see what they do next.

I can't (or won't, doesn't matter) divulge actual figures, but #SWD2 has started way, way better than both the original Dig and SW Heist. ->

-> We have seen only the first-day sales on Switch... when we first saw the figures, we were sure we were reading them incorrectly. But...!!

http://nintendoeverything.com/steamworld-dig-2-sales-off-to-a-very-strong-start-on-switch/

Uh..so you just completely skipped the OP huh?

watershed

Banned
Great news. IIRC Heist sold really well right out the gate, so this outpacing it is really good news for Image and Form and there's still Steam and PS4 to come. Great game. I hope Image and Form tackles another genre with their next Steam World game.

Great news for a great game. For anyone that didn't like the original too much, I was in the same boat but Dig2 even surpassed Heist for me.

Yup, it's one of the equipment mods and it's enabled by default. There's also one that doubles damage if you want an even bigger challenge.
There is at least one other mod to make things even more difficult.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I will buy this if I have a switch. I got their 3DS game, and it was so good I went to buy their Steamworld DSiware before the DSiware shop close.

They haven't advertised it much but it seems they are working on bringing Dig 2 to 3DS, it'll just take a while.

So fun to get news about a talented indie studio killing it. Congratulations to the team. I'm buying this on Switch, played the first on 3DS so I'll go with the portable version again.

You realise this exact information is quoted in the OP?!

TheMoon

Wow! I was worried this would somehow get lost in the shuffle since there had been so little news and coverage.

Fireblend

Banned
Wow! I was worried this would somehow get lost in the shuffle since there had been so little news and coverage.
Eh, the game was featured in every Nintendo event and Direct since it was announced. I wouldn't say that's little news. The only big omission was E3 but that was because Nintendo didn't really show anything indie related there other than Rocket League.

I'm glad it didn't get lost in the shuffle though. Personally I'd been looking forward to it since the first footage was shown. Up there with Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight etc as one of my most highly anticipated games. And it didn't disappoint :D

thumb

Banned
I'll echo the many others in this thread: this is well-deserved success. Also, for those on PC, have confidence that the PC port is excellent. Very polished, worth buying even at launch.

TheMoon

They put it pretty prominently in both recent Directs. I've seen great word of mouth about it here and on Reddit as well.

Eh, the game was featured in every Nintendo event and Direct since it was announced. I wouldn't say that's little news. The only big omission was E3 but that was because Nintendo didn't really show anything indie related there other than Rocket League.

I'm glad it didn't get lost in the shuffle though. Personally I'd been looking forward to it since the first footage was shown. Up there with Stardew Valley, Hollow Knight etc as one of my most highly anticipated games. And it didn't disappoint :D

Just felt like we had heard more about Heist in the lead-up to its release than we did about Dig 2.

heringer

To people who finished it, I just got the
jetpack
, with about 4:30 hours of playtime. How much longer until the end?

Fireblend

Banned
If I didn't like the first game, will I like this one?

What did you dislike about it? I feel like the only big complaint I have about the first game was how repetitive it was, with the dig-get resources-get back to town loop being all there was to it, times five or something like that.

This one is more of a fully-fledged Metroidvania, which uses that same loop at times but has a ton more variation, with more platforming-focused areas, branching paths (I actually think there's a ton of space for sequence breaking in this game, can't wait for speed runs), more creativity about digging since the mines are hand-crafted and not procedurally generated, considerably more thematic and visual variation, and a way more robust upgrade/equipment system.

That, plus everything I liked about the first one (controls, music, style) being turned up to 11.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Recently fell in love with Steamworld Heist, can't wait to grab this. (I know Dig is very different, but I'm reasonably confident I'll enjoy it too)

Top Bottom