• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has any online community gone to shit faster than Overwatch's?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I think it was kinda-good to begin with, wasn't it? I mean, at launch people seemed to be having fun toying with the meta, trying new things, and respecting each other at the end of the match... I think?

250 hours. Just uninstalled it today and boy does it feel good.

Ignoring my long list of frustrations with the game itself and its balancing & focus as a whole, the community itself is absolute ass. I can usually handle a fair bit of toxicity - I mean, I've been called every slur in the book over the decade and a half I've been playing online. I can shrug off the occasional quitter - 'tis life and its a risk you take putting your faith in strangers. And I can also handle the brain-dead dummies who do everything they can except focus on the objective or task-at-hand... I've learned everyone wants to be a hero and put their enjoyment above the team's.

But Overwatch... man... damn near every game has a cocktail of ALL of those problems. It's maddening. And for a game that relies pretty much entirely on teamwork, communication, and the synergy of your heros - it's especially frustrating for teamwork to be non-existent.

I know there are groups on here and elsewhere. And I've had the fortune of playing with online and IRL friends from time to time. But even if you have a four or five stack, there's a good chance your 5th or 6th person is going to make for a bad time.

I want to like this game so much. I love the art. The gameplay is suuuuuper tight. It just feels good to play - Blizzard nailed it. The heroes are fun, and truth? I don't mind the loot boxes at all. But, in the 100s of games I've played online, from MMOs to FPS to RTS, and from casual to "hardcore," I just can't remember a community I've disliked as much as this one so quickly. The truth is, I could probably STILL handle it if every once in a while I laughed or could enjoy poking fun and the sheer absurdity of it. I mean, I wouldn't say my time with CoD has been the epitome of "classy," but at least some of the folks are funny and the stories are good. But OW... oh OW... I'm just constantly upset with those I'm playing with and it's rare I'm smiling. And...

NeatDistantDoe-small.gif

EDIT: Sorry - playing PC. Been playing since launch, but started playing competitive just a couple seasons back. I'm far from "great" - I can happily admit I'm average. But I'm a team player and my top 3 most-played are I think Mercy, Anna, and Rein.

frontovik

Banned
I'm just glad that I've never invested substantial time into the game. Had a bad feeling about it since launch.

edit: PC player here for what it's worth. I feel that Blizzard's desire to appeal to a mass audience is going to ruin the company in the end.

Briarios

I haven't played it in a couple months after putting a ton of time into it -- I'm much happier playing Warframe online with periodic bursts of Rocket League. Those scratch the online itch fine for me.

I'm sure Overwatch is better if you have a regular team you play with, though -- but, I hop on at odd times, so it's not very easy for me to plan for that.

XenodudeX

All Blizzard online communities in their games have been terrible. Overwatch is just the newest freshly shitted out turd on the shit pile.

Imagine all those problems you listed.

Then imagine you have to spend a minimum of half an hour putting up with them every time you run into one.

Welcome to DotA.

Lateralus1993

Neo Member
I play it on Xbox One and it's not that bad on there. Plus, when I do Competitive I do it with 3 friends, so there are only 2 randoms. I know how bad the voice chats can be, and it's sad. However I've met a lot of hilarious and awesome people on there as well. The thing that really pisses me off is the leavers. So many people will leave after just the first point is taken.lol It's infuriating. Really makes it hard to enjoy the game.

B.O.O.M

Pretty much every game that blows up has those exact issues. I don't see how it is specific to Overwatch at all.

In my personal experience, Destiny crowd was pretty stellar in comparison. Destiny 1 only tho, no idea about 2.

But yea OW can be a toxic shithole at times.

You can't be sick of toxic communities if you've never joined in the first place.

1l16cw.jpg

In all seriousness though, yeah it got pretty bad, pretty fast. I quit around June when I got sick of being called a n-word f-word, because I didn't want to play as D.Va.

Levito

Banned
I don't think it was ever particularly "good" in the sense that you mean. It's a megapopular game, and thus more assholes are in it.

Mik317

I mean personally I haven't experienced any toxicity during my playtime across ps4 and pc (none out of the ordinary at least)....but you figure

1. the game is super popular
2. runs on a lot of systems.
3. is team based so thus its totes not my fault fellas
4. requires actual teamwork

and you have a cocktail of potential fuckery.

you just gotta not take everything so serious and roll w/ it for better or worse...or do as you have done and get out while you can lol. Not much you can do to stop people from being...well people. When given the chance to show their ass, certain people will do so all the time. That;'s apart of life

maomaoIYP

Pretty much every game that blows up has those exact issues. I don't see how it is specific to Overwatch at all.

Pretty much. Not sure what you're expecting. It's a game with a massive number of players, and people can be assholes on the internet.
edit: It is perfectly possible to enjoy the game without having to deal with the toxicity, just turn off all forms of comms and laugh it off when you get salty messages.

Imagine all those problems you listed.

Then imagine you have to spend a minimum of half an hour putting up with them every time you run into one.

Welcome to DotA.

I've found the Dota community to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than OW's. Granted, the Dota community isn't great but it's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be

Ivellios

Dont go competitive solo, its not worth it,there are many games out there for you to enjoy when nobody is online to play with you.

Its the only way i play this game, with at least 3 or more friends if the random is bad, we have a chance to carry him. Also remember that the enemy team have the same chance to get a bad player as you do.

hzsn724

If you think OW is bad, you should play F13. That game's community was bad from the get go. Ppl actually go out of there way to hide required parts needed to escape. Don't know how may times I'd be in a match and litterally no one could find the gas. Go up to Jason's shack and someone is just standing there with it....

DesiacX

Probably, but i don't know one off the top of my head. Once a metagame is established for any communication/team-based competitive title, it will instantly be a shit community, due to the variety of reasons mentioned in your OP. When your enjoyment of something is tied to 3 or more randoms competency, the odds of you having fun is low (Reasons i don't play Splatoon and other Team Comp games), and the odds of salt running high is 100%.

>:)

Comp is where the real toxic assholes reside. Since season 3, i'll only play Comp until I hit Diamond, and then just stop. No real reason to go forward, and you get a decent CP bonus to boot.

Every other mode though is an absolute blast. DM, Team DM, Random Heroes, and my personal fav Total Mayhem has about 99% less sodium no matter which hero you pick.

Comp is where the real toxic assholes reside. Since season 3, i'll only play Comp until I hit Diamond, and then just stop. No real reason to go forward, and you get a decent CP bonus to boot.

Every other mode though is an absolute blast. DM, Team DM, Random Heroes, and my personal fav Total Mayhem has about 99% less sodium no matter which hero you pick.
Besides the usual racist or homophobe, which I always report, and make a deal about it. I hate people who just don't take comp seriously.

"I paid 60 bucks for the game bro, I do what I want."
"You are already (rank), who cares about losing."

Neoxon

Trust me, SFV online doesn't get anywhere near as toxic as Overwatch. Though real talk, did SFV kill your first-born child or something, 'cause you seem to shit on it at any opportunity. I understand having legitimate gripes (I have more than a few of them myself), but this is starting to get a bit excessive.

But yeah, Overwatch can get pretty damn toxic. Then again, I guess any popular team-based shooter is bound to have a toxic community. I also heard that Rocket League is getting pretty bad in this regard.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
May it and DOTA remain popular forevermore so all the scum continue to rally around it and not touch the games I choose to play online.

Stygr

Banned
Excluding f2p games yes, OW community is the worse, i've been playing since day one, and i'm slowly abandoning the game.

nikos

Solo queue competitive on PC is awful. I’ve gone from very low Silver to very high Diamond. The toxicity doesn’t change.

I don’t get offended by anything, you can say whatever you want, but having my time and effort wasted because people can’t get along and play as a team is frustrating. It’s the reason why I don’t play more than I do, because the game is incredibly fun. It usually ends up being a waste of time.

AlexBasch

For some reason, I thought quickplay was a stress-free version of Overwatch. Quickly, as a Mei/Mercy player who uses no mic, I realized that I was wrong.

Still don't care, I heal people I use my wall to block Bastion and keep enemy out of our point or the back of the payload. People get angry at me and yell me names (I rarely get called beaner but all the other slurs you can think of, weird) in the voice chat.

I just keep playing, can't even feel sorry for people like that. I would agree with people being mad at me for daring to play Competitive alone and without a mic, but in quickplay, I believe that you can do whatever the hell you want, and in my case, I try to keep people healed up or taking them down with McCree.

leng jai

I only started playing a few months ago. Every second game in comp is an absolute shit show. It's last the first game I've ever played where the concept of "throwing" in comp is actually a frequent issue. Like, what the fuck? It just doesn't make any sense.

Tater

When your enjoyment of something is tied to 3 or more randoms competency, the odds of you having fun is low (Reasons i don't play Splatoon and other Team Comp games), and the odds of salt running high is 100%.

This right here - when I realized that my enjoyment of the game is not at all under my control, I lost most of my interest in Overwatch. It's a great game, but just more frustration and salt than enjoyment.

I played OW on PS4 ranked

The crowd wasnt bad at all. Never experienced harrassment and was surprised at how many women were playing. Never hear people getting harassed. Some people get upset or call each other out but typical heated stuff in a game. Im actually surprised how much of it gets settled amicably.

Im sure toxicity exists, I only have 90 or so hours in the game.

I really think the pc community is somehow the worst. Maybe because text chat?

I hate that everyone thinks it’s ok to just boss people around and bully them until they get they get their way. It’s easily THE worst aspect of the community.

If someone wants to play something, let ‘em play it! They paid for the game, they can choose what how they wanna play/enjoy themselves

Yes that includes in Comp as well.

The irony is that these same people, most of the time, are the ones not willing to do what they’re telling others to do.

Edit: I think a BIG thing that would help would be a privacy setting that allows you to disable people checking your hours played/etc. All people use that menu for is to shit talk others or complain.

Hate speech should get you permabanned, with no exceptions. That's the only way to deal with garbage humans.

Pretty sure the console versions didn't even have a reporting feature until recently.
During the lucioball stuff, half the players i got matched with spent their matches afk. Thats about when i quit the game, realizing theres nothing i can do about this shit.

The problem still is that the matchmaking is shit and things depend waaaay too much on your party having the perfect composition.

ranked's population is spilling onto the other playlists, i have people in 3v3 giving me shit because they're diamond and im gold and if we lose they blame it on me and tell me to stay gold lmao they literally go through all my stats in between rounds, dawg im playing this shit for lootboxes . i dont care tho i usually just ignore em

The thing that bugged me most about Overwatch is how Blizzard encourage players in premade parties to remain segregated from the rest of the team in competitive mode. Instead of 6v6 teamwork you usually get dropped into a game with a bunch of premades doing their own thing. It just feels really counter intuitive for a game that is built around two small teams competiing for an objective

but apparently most people prefer to play that way anyway so in the end I just decided OW is not for me

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I had fun with Overwatch for a year but I moved on. Used to instamute everyone because the community was pretty toxic.

Theres lots of other great games out there, Id rather be trying newer experiences.

Top Bottom