• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No PS4, Xbox 720 before 2014, says Skyrim boss

daedalius

polyh3dron said:
The PC version of Skyrim will run at 1080p/60FPS and great AA with the proper machine WITH NO ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT COSTS

DID I BLOW YOUR MIND

not really.

I'm sure I'll enjoy Skyrim just fine on the 360 in all its sub-HD glory.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I'm getting kind of tired of this gen. I hope next gen isn't so far away. Graphics are starting to look a bit stale in most games (to me at least).

Reallink

By 2014, we will all be hooking our phones/tablets to our TV's (via HDMI or WIHD) and playing games with a BT controller in full 1080p with graphical fidelity far beyond PS360. So, good luck with that Sony/MS. If you can't provide a cutting edge experience, people will stop buying your $60 software, $200 consoles, and over priced accessories.

Reallink said:
By 2014, we will all be hooking our phones/tablets to our TV's (via HDMI or WIHD) and playing games with a BT controller in full 1080p with graphical fidelity far beyond PS360. So, good luck with that Sony/MS. If you can't provide a cutting edge experience, people will stop buying your $60 software, $200 consoles, and over priced accessories.
$200 consoles? What is this, 1995?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
polyh3dron said:
MasterRace.jpg

After seeing the Trackmania² Canyon video, I have to agree. I can only imagine how PC games will look two years out from now while console gamers are playin' in the mud.

I honestly thinks Nintendo should wait too. Economic uncertainty, they need to beef up with Wii U if at all possible, as much as possible.

Jin34

2K global president Christoph Hartmann recently claimed Microsoft and Sony are already "experimenting" with Kinect and Move for what could be the foundations of their next-generation console plans.

Surprised this wasn't bolded, people would have been shitting their pants in this thread.

Zen

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
The 3DS fiasco shows that consumers aren't particularly brand loyal, price comes first
Also, if the WiiU is subject just to up-ports prior to Sony/MS next consoles then it'll have a hard time shining as newer technology

I realy don't think that the 3DS fiasco was about price. The way Nintendo managed to keep the DS price stable for so many years, and have price increases (to resounding success) really shows that much.

Price is only a detrement or boon relative to how it effects the perceived value of the product. The problem with the 3DS was and still is the lack of compelling content and new experiences that capture the public imagination. The 3D has been kind of a flub, and we haven't seen the additionally functionality of the 3DS used in such a way to create a experience for the consumer.

And while the 3DS is much more powerful than a DS, everything else on the market has made that jump look and feel smaller than it should.

Reallink said:

I fear this future, but I'm beginning to feel that, like 'Iphones are eating the portable space', is a myth that will become self fulfilling prophecy through ad nauseum.

Monas

Nintendo was genius then with the WiiU. They entered the HD gen of consoles with a subHD/PS2 equivalent console that was cheaper to make and they went home with all the money. And now that the HD is going on full throttle, they release an HD machine that can satisfy the needs of multi-platforming/3rd party ips. They will not be 2 years alone, they will be on par with the others from now on

PS3 can hold on until 2014 or 15, because of BD and HDD.
But I don't think the 360 can. The RAGE paradigm will hurt it bad.

I seriously hope we don't have to wait 3 more years for new consoles from Sony and MS.

If people think PC elitists are bad now, I don't even want to know what they'll be like in 2014.

[Nintex]

Lyphen said:
Looking at dev diaries, these first gen games tend to take 4 or more years to make. 2014 sounds accurate to me.
Rogue Squadron took 9 months to develop the same with Super Smash Bros. Melee. Rare had about 8/9 months to port Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero to Xbox 360. All that 343i talent can port Halo 4 to a DX11 machine within 11 months. Sega set up new studios, Ubisoft set up new studios. Next-gen is coming it's right around the corner MS isn't going to give Nintendo a free ride for two holidays in a row and I'd be surprised if they even allow them to return to the spotlight for even a single holiday season. Balmer is crazy enough to launch the new 'eco system' Windows 8/Xbox 720/Nokia Windows Phones in one go.

Monas

IcyBlueStrawberry said:
I seriously hope we don't have to wait 3 more years for new consoles from Sony and MS.

If people think PC elitists are bad now, I don't even want to know what they'll be like in 2014.

Continuous optimization of a static system can make wonders my friend. The only limit the consoles have is RAM. IF they find a way to surpass that, then the gap will never be too wide between consoles and mainstream PCs

edit: fixed punctuation and spelling

Monas said:
Continuous optimization of a static system can make wonders my friend. The only limit the consoles have is RAM. IF they find a way to surpass that then the gap will never be to wide between consoles and mainstream PCs
You seem way too optimistic.

If the gap between PC and current gen consoles doesn't widen drastically by 2014, it will be due to a lack of support for PC, not optimizations for consoles.

Even my brother who is a peasant to the core isn't happy with his xbox anymore.
Went on a family visit and he bought 3 new games and he ended up spending all his gaming time playing AOE3 (which I brought along) on our mom's old pc instead.

Guess he eventually got tired of a platform with nothing but shooters, bro games and shovelware on it.

Now he set up a piggy bank (he's only 17:p) at her place to save for an entry level gaming pc.

Reallink

Jin34 said:
2K global president Christoph Hartmann recently claimed Microsoft and Sony are already "experimenting" with Kinect and Move for what could be the foundations of their next-generation console plans.

Surprised this wasn't bolded, people would have been shitting their pants in this thread.

Why would they use a standard controller with a console in '13/14/15? Maybe as an accessory (a la Wii Classic Controllers). The inevitable, obvious, and natural progression is to split a Dual Shock in half (remolded for better ergonomics/placement) and track it with a refined Kinect type device. There is no loss in functionality or buttons whatsoever and a tremendous gain for developers and gamers that want to do new things.

Zen said:
I fear this future, but I'm beginning to feel that, like 'Iphones are eating the portable space', is a myth that will become self fulfilling prophecy through ad nauseum.

Well I think we can all agree that riding poorly designed hardware for 10+ years is certainly not going to fend it off.

Pranay

SneakyStephan said:
Went on a family visit and he bought 3 new games and he ended up spending all his gaming time playing AOE3 (which I brought along) on our mom's old pc instead.

Guess he eventually got tired of a platform with nothing but shooters, bro games and shovelware on it.

lol WHAT ?

Monas

IcyBlueStrawberry said:
You seem way too optimistic.

If the gap between PC and current gen consoles doesn't widen drastically by 2014, it will be due to a lack of support for PC, not optimizations for consoles.

What you have in mind is high-end PCs vs consoles. But that is not how the market goes

HolyTaco

SneakyStephan said:

Now he set up a piggy bank (he's only 17:p) at her place to save for an entry level gaming pc.

Lol. So much ignorance.

And AOE3 sucks.

[Nintex]

After fall 2011 all you guys will be like: "That's it?" showing little progress between last years AAA games and this years AAA games at least on the console side. They're going to cut corners(actual gameplay features and maps) in Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 barely runs on the current systems. It's time for new hardware. After Resident Evil 4 no one but Nintendo said: "Well this could go on for another 6 years at least" and they got blasted for it by the core gamers and rightly so.

The longer they wait the more substantive the jump for reasonable cost.

Dev statements actually kind of make sense now. WiiU looks like it will be a half generational leap, consoles launching a year and a half to two years later will definitely be a step above that. Especially if they go for PS3/360 launch console size.

HolyTaco said:
Lol. So much ignorance.

And AOE3 sucks.
Good job supporting your argument there.
You should apply for president of the debate team.

AOE3 got knocked for being more of the same btw ;) and I quote from eurogamer :
Right now I feel like I want to say to AoE3 "Stop with the gifts! To win my heart you don't need to sprinkle every map with silly treasure troves. You don't need to let me flick to a 'home city' screen every few minutes so that I can select a free unit or resource windfall. I'm not some spoilt toddler that needs to be bribed with endless sweeties."

Oh how hilariously familiar this sounds, this is a great conclusion made during an era where standards were much higher.

He chose to play aoe3 over his new copy of halo reach and AC:brotherhood and some splinter cell game btw ;)
AOE3 being a B game for AOE standards just makes it all the more painfull for the "AAA" trash.

daedalius

[Nintex] said:
After fall 2011 all you guys will be like: "That's it?" showing little progress between last years AAA games and this years AAA games at least on the console side. They're going to cut corners(actual gameplay features and maps) in Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 barely runs on the current systems. It's time for new hardware. After Resident Evil 4 no one but Nintendo said: "Well this could go on for another 6 years at least" and they got blasted for it by the core gamers and rightly so.

Once the average consumer that thinks the graphics on their xbox are fine comes close to the graphics-fetishist-pcmasterrace, then you can be assured that a new console will be released to please the average consumers newfound love of shinies. Until then, the threshold of shinies/dollars will likely not change immensely.

The 720 and PS4 may just be upgraded hardware that can similarly take advantage of uprezzed/upscaled media that high-end PCs can currently attain, without changing much else, but the question is: would the average consumer buy this?

Also, AOE3 over Halo:Reach and AC:Brotherhood? Wow...

Gravijah

Thunder Monkey said:
The longer they wait the more substantive the jump for reasonable cost.

Dev statements actually kind of make sense now. WiiU looks like it will be a half generational leap, consoles launching a year and a half to two years later will definitely be a step above that. Especially if they go for PS3/360 launch console size.

Can't launch too soon, can't launch too late but with the current hardware and software sales, I don't see why Microsoft or Sony would launch anytime soon. I'm expecting at least one to be revealed next year though.

StevieP

Banned
It's sub-HD?

It will be, unless you play it on PC.

gunbo13 said:
Why do you assume that will be the case?

The same engines will be running on the Wii U as the PS4 and Xbox 3.
The Xbox 3 will be on store shelves in 2013, and the PS4 won't be far behind it.

And I don't know why it constantly needs to be repeated, but console generations are irrespective to their internal hardware.

Jin34

[Nintex] said:
Rogue Squadron took 9 months to develop the same with Super Smash Bros. Melee. Rare had about 8/9 months to port Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero to Xbox 360. All that 343i talent can port Halo 4 to a DX11 machine within 11 months. Sega set up new studios, Ubisoft set up new studios. Next-gen is coming it's right around the corner MS isn't going to give Nintendo a free ride for two holidays in a row and I'd be surprised if they even allow them to return to the spotlight for even a single holiday season. Balmer is crazy enough to launch the new 'eco system' Windows 8/Xbox 720/Nokia Windows Phones in one go.

You are really serious about this Next Xbox next year thing? You do know we would know much more about it if were coming out next year, these things have a pattern of chatter picking up into rumors and dev comments.

Fjordson

daedalius said:
I really have no idea, but I'm sure Our-Masters-On-High will say it one way or the other.
:lol

Yeah, I hotly anticipate their glorious judgment of this lowly console game and whether or not I'm allowed to enjoy it.

Jin34

StevieP said:
It will be, unless you play it on PC.

The same engines will be running on the Wii U as the PS4 and Xbox 3.
The Xbox 3 will be on store shelves in 2013, and the PS4 won't be far behind it.

And I don't know why it constantly needs to be repeated, but console generations are irrespective to their internal hardware.

Not to mention that all the Fusion rumors point to at least one of the other 2 not putting the same premium on hardware muscle as before.

Jin34 said:
You are really serious about this Next Xbox next year thing? You do know we would know much more about it if were coming out next year, these things have a pattern of chatter picking up into rumors and dev comments.
I could see it happening if Microsoft really really didn't want to let Nintendo get a year headstart on them. Though it's far more likely that they will just launch in 2013 anyways.

TheNatural

My Member!
I would think so, but maybe Nintendo has changed things. Maybe that's why Nintendo should have STFU at E3. They showed a super early Wii U, that may have prompted Sony and Microsoft to push out their next gen consoles quicker.

Logically, 360 is still selling well and Microsoft wants to push Kinect, so that's why they may want to wait.

PS3 is finally starting recoup its huge R&D and upfront cost, and Sony wants to focus on Vita as well, so logically they may want to wait a while too.

Shalashaska161 said:
I could see it happening if Microsoft really really didn't want to let Nintendo get a year headstart on them. Though it's far more likely that they will just launch in 2013 anyways.

The Wii U is not a "headstart".

It's the equivalent of the little boy putting his finger in the dyke.

Microsoft and Sony can both take their time.

Grisby

I'd like better framerates in my console games, not gonna lie, but that hardly detracts from the fun I usually have. Some inane statements in here though regarding hardcore gaming and wii graphics.

It will be interesting to to see what the sales charts bring in as well as the WiiU splash (well, that or trickle). I'm a bit in the middle when it comes to when next gen talk will come up, maybe E3 2012, maybe not.

Jin34

Shalashaska161 said:

You can't just surprise launch a console like that now, 3rd parties would know by now if 2012 was a possibility, there would be rumors pointing to it and the hardware rumors in fact point to 2013/2014. One of them even mentioned how it was 2014 (Xbox) originally but is being pushed up to 2013 because of the Wii U.

Pranay

SneakyStephan said:
Good job supporting your argument there.
You should apply for president of the debate team.

AOE3 got knocked for being more of the same btw ;) and I quote from eurogamer :

Oh how hilariously familiar this sounds, this is a great conclusion made during an era where standards were much higher.

He chose to play aoe3 over his new copy of halo reach and AC:brotherhood and some splinter cell game btw ;)
AOE3 being a B game for AOE standards just makes it all the more painfull for the "AAA" trash.

Well its his loss of not playing those good games [excluding splinter cell].

and just because some one prefer aoe 3 over halo reach , how does that make it all painfull for games like halo reach n AC B
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and any reason for you calling these games as trash especially halo reach ? which is one of the best fps after crysis i have played this gen. !

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Lovely Salsa said:
They have sand in their vaginas.

I'd happily pay 400 bucks for a new console now (not nintendo)

I'm not sure how many developers want to spend the millions it would run to develop for the new systems, especially with the economy in free fall right now. Most people say the 2008 recession did impact the video game market, this current issue could be worse as you have some people and businesses that never recovered from 2008.

Wouldn't it be ironic if MS and Sony went with waggle controls being standard for next gen while Nintendo goes back to a more tradtional controller like with what we have for WiiU?

Top Bottom