• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens on Wii U 'one of the best looking versions', "More RAM/really great processor"

Hex

Banned
Well gosh, thank you nintendo-gamer.net.
Also thank you for your interpretation of "(we’d imagine the PC version will offer the best graphics, so to us Martel is suggesting it’s visually superior to the 360/PS3 versions)."
I am sure that the focus of your site has nothing to do with your interpretation.

Yes?

He said "One of the best looking versions". Not, "The best looking version".

Meaning, that the other versions are comparable to each other. (360/PS3/WiiU).

Calm down.

So you're forgetting about the PC version of the game then?

Okay.

wrowa

No. The point here is that it's clearly more powerful Did you even read the fucking article?

Since he directly compares it to the current generation of consoles and also goes on to say that Nintendo's been "late in the cycle", it also sounds as if he regards the Wii U not as next-gen but as part of the current generation -- which can easily lead to the conclusion that the Wii U won't be much more powerful than the current generation. :p

However, from reading his statements I'm not sure if he actually really knows what he is talking about.

NinjaBoiX

"They’re late in the cycle so they’ve got this really great processor.”"

This says everything. This won't be a next gen machine. Just a really good current gen console.
Hey, I can play SMG through HDMI. I'm happy. But yeah, this is going to be modestly impressive for a few months, and then woefully unimpressive for the next five years. I really think Nintendo done goofed on this one. I'll still get one of course, but I'm a massive nerd, not Mr Average Joe Consumer.

SmokyDave

This says everything. This won't be a next gen machine. Just a really good current gen console.

Yup. I'm surprised to see this being put forth as though it almost says the opposite.

Pocks

Agreed. It's unfortunate, but I'm still content. As long as I get my Nintendo IPs in glorious HD, all is well.

E3 is going to be interesting. I can't wait to see what software is shown.

we really need to keep all this stuff in Wii U Speculation Thread dont help when a mod made a thread starting all this madness what point in have a Wii U Speculation Thread

Vire

So you're forgetting about the PC version of the game then?

Okay.

He specifically says "They are late in this cycle".

Meaning that it's pretty comparable to the current generation of hardware, not next generation.

No need to get in such a tizzy over it.

scitek

Don't really care, I just want quality games. People shouldn't have gotten crazy ideas of a powerful console when looking at the size of the thing, anyway. Factor in that it'll likely be $300-$400 at MOST, and have to make a profit from day one, and expectations should have been in check from the get-go.

Hex

Banned
we really need to keep all this stuff in Wii U Speculation Thread dont help when a mod made a thread starting all this madness what point in have a Wii U Speculation Thread

Yeah, been saying that myself for a while.
Wish we had a thread for each of the new systems to be honest.

He specifically says "They are late in this cycle".

Meaning that it's pretty comparable to the current generation of hardware.

No need to get in such a tizzy over it.

I'm not? It just seems like you've purposely set out to read it in a negative way.

He wouldn't have made the statement "one of the best looking" if he knew it was the same as the PS3/360, would he?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

This is what people should expect.
PS360 turbo.

I wish GAF would just accept that and move on. These daily disputes about whether Wii U should be considered 'next-gen' are incredibly tiresome, especially since Nintendo have made it clear they don't see high specs as a priority.

Donnie

Personally, I don't understand the whole more/less powerful talk.
Slightly more powerful, slightly less powerful doesn't really mean anything when, in both cases, you're a whole generation behind (spec-wise). It just doesn't matter.

A whole generation behind what??

Vire

PS360 turbo.

I wish GAF would just accept that and move on. These daily disputes about whether Wii U should be considered 'next-gen' are incredibly tiresome, especially since Nintendo have made it clear they don't see high specs as a priority.

This.

/thread

codhand

1330897890681.jpg

RAM, I love RAM.

VariantX

Man, do we need one of these threads every single day?

We get it, Wii U is about as powerful as current gen consoles. Move on.

Well until people who are in the know are allowed to go into real detail about the hardware specifications, they'll keep popping up every time an off-handed comment gets quoted in an article. It makes for interesting discussion. The only negative is people on either side of the wii u power argument clash heads and the thread becomes a complete mess. This could all be solved when the NDA's expire

USC-fan

Banned
Sounds like he's talking about the GPU when mentioning a "really great processor" since I can't imagine anything too special on the CPU side.

I never heard someone say processor and mean gpu. He is talking about CPU which should be a beast. Since its a updated version of the one that's in the x360.

This goes along with most of the leaks. More ram, better CPU but weaker/ equal GPU. Look likes the wiiu will be in the same spot as wii.

StuBurns

Banned
PS360 turbo.

Indeed, people shouldn't have even been building their hopes up for a PS480 rival. Not only did Nintendo completely bow out of the technical race a decade ago, they're actually winning by doing so. This is a very logical move for them.

Donnie

That has nothing to do with negativity against Nintendo.

If the Wii U is a bit more powerful than the 360/PS3 (1.5X-2X) then no one cares. Why? Because that's what everyone expects. That would be like making a big deal about the Sun rising in the morning.

The Wii U being weaker than the 360/PS3 is a big news because its shocking. How could a new system be weaker than a 7 year old system? If the next Xbox is the same as the 360 but with a much more advance Kinnect then that would be big news too.

Inversely if the Wii is 10X more powerful than the 360/PS3 that would be huge news also.

But that's exactly what he just said, people aren't interested in facts, only claims that entertain them..

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
He probably means really great compared to the C64 so Wii U has to suq, amirite guyz?

I mean, if it was rly good he'd have said it's so amazing he cried and he'd be so excited he'd break the NDA and tell us the specs.

Really great is for wimps that just say something nice to avoid offending someone, obviously.

No IT'S LIKE REAL LIFE! hype no sale.

Well to me, it seems like people have got high expectations, on both ends.

The Wii U won't be a full generational leap, and it won't be super powerful, but at the same time, the definition of 'next gen' to some people is distorted anyway - Sony and Microsoft won't be releasing the uber powerful, modern-day-pc-comparable machines you think they will.

I never heard someone say processor and mean gpu. He is talking about CPU which should be a beast. Since its a updated version of the one that's in the x360.

This goes along with most of the leaks. More ram, better CPU but weaker/ equal GPU. Look likes the wiiu will be in the same spot as wii.

Not quite. According to ArkamAsylum, it's a fully featured GPU that lacks the extra oomph. So, compared to the Wii, the Wii U is in a much better position since it can still support the same features without a complete engine overhaul.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed, people shouldn't have even been building their hopes up for a PS480 rival. Not only did Nintendo completely bow out of the technical race a decade ago, they're actually winning by doing so. This is a very logical move for them.
Yep. If anything it's a strategy that makes even more sense this generation than last, since the low-tech Wii U should appeal to a battered Japanese industry not ready for the leap to PS480.

Vire

The Wii U won't be a full generational leap, and it won't be super powerful, but at the same time, the definition of 'next gen' to some people is distorted anyway - Sony and Microsoft won't be releasing the uber powerful, modern-day-pc-comparable machines you think they will.

I see we are still in the Stage One phase of denial..

Grampasso

Well I think these 2 will be the longest pre-e^3 months ever with all this "table tennis" statings about WiiU power :D

It's definitely a full generational leap over the Wii given it's more powerful than the 360/PS3.

Donnie

Since he directly compares it to the current generation of consoles and also goes on to say that Nintendo's been "late in the cycle", it also sounds as if he regards the Wii U not as next-gen but as part of the current generation -- which can easily lead to the conclusion that the Wii U won't be much more powerful than the current generation. :p

However, from reading his statements I'm not sure if he actually really knows what he is talking about.

He's the director of Aliens which is in development for 360, PS3 and WiiU. He's talking specifically about Aliens development. Why on earth would he compare WiiU to two consoles that Aliens isn't in development for and that he may not have even seen yet?

Another question, why is logic so rare on the internet?

StuBurns

Banned
And it probably won't be all that fun if the developer walkthrough is representative of the game as a whole.
I had almost written off the game based on the awful trailer and that walkthrough, but with Prometheus coming up, this could be a Batman AA like synergy. Gearbox really need to deliver a great game, it could sell incredibly well with the film hype rising.

Nice to hear, but still rather vague. Completely vague in fact.

More RAM is what we expected, should be the strongest point of the Wii U if 1GB is true.

Great processor is ok, but I'd rather hear "great GPU".

So many Nintendo fanboys in this thread that take any hint of criticism thrown at this/Nintendo and jump on it and act like any negativity is completely out of line. Is the official WiiU thread this bad, too? Yikes.

Donnie

Yeah, he should have given us the full specs, and shown video.

They're under NDA from Nintendo, I'm surprised he said THAT much, frankly.

I know, and that anonymous source from GI was so technical as well "Its graphics just aren't as powerful". When I read that I expected to see "!!!!11111!" at the end.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

They won't measure up to the specs requested by Crytek and DICE, but I don't doubt that they'll be very powerful machines that will comfortably outclass Wii U. They don't need to be comparable to high end gaming PCs to impress graphically, since they're closed boxes likely to be working with a 720p ceiling.

Donnie

PS360 turbo.

What is a PS360 turbo and at what point do you stop describing any new system as PS360 turbo?

I had almost written off the game based on the awful trailer and that walkthrough, but with Prometheus coming up, this could be a Batman AA like synergy. Gearbox really need to deliver a great game, it could sell incredibly well with the film hype rising.
I lost all faith. :( After watching it's terribad amount of scripted sequences, I couldn't shake the 'on rails' feeling they're attempting to capture. The recent AvP's Marine campaign burned me of that but good.

Someone needs to keep a log of the more outlandish quotes on both sides, I want a crow banquet at E3. The people hedging their bets are boring, you will be forgotten by history.

I personally don't care when it comes to this game -- knowing that it'll be the best non-PC version this year and has legitimately cool uses for the controller has me sold.

Wii U is more powerful than the current-gen and less powerful than the next-gen.

Why are you people arguing every day? Is that so hard to understand/accept?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How does " one of the best looking versions" equal superior to Xbox/PS3? So out of four versions it's "one of" the best looking versions.

You could say the Xbox 360 version is one of the best looking versions to. Such a meaningless statement.

Top Bottom