• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5: Last Round |OT| Bouncing on new systems.

Hubb

Let's be honest: Most people probably like DOA because of the girls and the outfits (the ones putting money into the game, especially.) At a certain point, it's smart to lean into your selling points if for no other reason than that they are selling points.

And gameplay. If I was only here for the girls and outfits there are better and cheaper games out there.

I have no doubt they'll continue to come up with ways to make DLC/make money. If the gameplay sucks and no one is playing, neither will I. I'm honestly surprised I can still fairly easily get online matches while I am doing arcade runs.

Squire

Banned
And gameplay. If I was only here for the girls and outfits there are better and cheaper games out there.

I have no doubt they'll continue to come up with ways to make DLC/make money. If the gameplay sucks and no one is playing, neither will I. I'm honestly surprised I can still fairly easily get online matches while I am doing arcade runs.

That goes without saying, but like, what fighting games of note right now have bad gameplay? SFV was sort of a disaster and MVCI looks like another one in the making, but the folks who've played one or the other generally think the actual gameplay is good.

Capcom, ASW, NR, Namco; Every fighter studio that matters is doing good gameplay right now, so that's like, bare minimum almost. That's why my question was: What is DOA the best at? Nothing, really. Everything is either on par or slightly worse. The female cast hooks people. They're key to the appeal. It's what makes the game stand out.

ShinMaruku

One thing with team ninja is they do their own thing, if they had full custo.s it would have been added years ago since they are such c.f. fans. In their side games there is some customization. My Ayane in senran kagura is something else.

Hubb

That goes without saying, but like, what fighting games of note right now have bad gameplay? SFV was sort of a disaster and MVCI looks like another one in the making, but the folks who've played one or the other generally think the actual gameplay is good.

Capcom, ASW, NR, Namco; Every fighter studio that matters is doing good gameplay right now, so that's like, bare minimum almost. That's why my question was: What is DOA the best at? Nothing, really. Everything is either on par or slightly worse. The female cast hooks people. They're key to the appeal. It's what makes the game stand out.

Alright I see what you are saying now.

Synth

I'd argue that Dead or Alive has done stage interaction better than other fighters for the entire life of the series. From the danger zone surrounding the ring in the original game, through to what we have today. Only NetherRealm is really making any sort of argument against Dead or Alive in this regards, and even they only really have the larger set-piece style interactions, lacking stuff like standing in a puddle effecting stun, or passive dangers like the cars and animals that DOA4 added.

laxu

As a filthy fighting game casual, the appeal of DoA5 for me is that it is remarkably n00b friendly. Lots of difficulties to choose from, good training modes, ability to show moves list on screen and most moves are fairly easy to execute. I only play against CPU and found for example Tekken 7 really damn difficult and the moves and combos didn't click for me.

DoA5 and VF5 seem to be the fighting games that feel the most right to me. I would rather see Team Ninja move the series away from Asian doll characters with big boobs as there is a good fighting game underneath all that.

Korigama

As a filthy fighting game casual, the appeal of DoA5 for me is that it is remarkably n00b friendly. Lots of difficulties to choose from, good training modes, ability to show moves list on screen and most moves are fairly easy to execute. I only play against CPU and found for example Tekken 7 really damn difficult and the moves and combos didn't click for me.

DoA5 and VF5 seem to be the fighting games that feel the most right to me. I would rather see Team Ninja move the series away from Asian doll characters with big boobs as there is a good fighting game underneath all that.
Well, given the change in art direction, as well as a bit more variety in body types between the women, they did. Unless you mean moving away from a focus on cheesecake altogether, which they tried at first before DoA5 released as part of their "I'm a fighter" campaign, which led to fans complaining and the decision to nix that idea.

komarkaze

I've played the DOA series since 2 on the Dreamcast and I have to say 5 is the most accessible entry to me. The gameplay clicked with me the best, and hooked me enough where I could win matches online. It's also still fluid after all these years and smoother than when I play games like Tekken or Soul Calibur.

Next most important factor for me is the roster. I like the change in aesthetics from the previous games. And the amount of costumes helps give more character and personality to the fighters.

But probably the most important thing that brings me back is the Photo mode. The fighting engine is so solid that you can pause a match at any time and usually capture a good shot because of how solid they animations are. This applies to saved replays and spectator mode, which is real-time. Even the eyes are lively during a battle, which was something I didn't appreciate how well DOA5 did it until I went into the Arkham Knight photo mode and saw how dead eyed the playable characters are. I wish DOA5LR camera was a bit more robust since all you can do is place the camera, zoom, tilt and switch to black and white. If Team Ninja can copy Arkham Knight's camera effects and filtering options into DOA, I would be very happy. I wish all fighting games have photo modes as a standard.

Loona

DoA's been doing F2P probably better than most, and structured its story mode in a ways that's more interesting that what I've seen from the console competition while integrating a tutorial factor into it.

I also like its control system (especially the use of a throw button, even if that's a bit of a shortcut), its tag-team-specific moves make the team factor in the game more visually interesting than I'm used to seeing in everything else (although that's not given much exposure since competition tends to be 1-on-1), and elegantly enables some crossover characters that don't really feel out of place for the most part.

It still gets dragged down by its reputation, and clearly based on the lack of male outfits on most DLC releases that has affected development efforts, which kinda drags things back down into a vicious cycle... but the qualities are still there.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Big up DOA5. It does an awful lot better than other fighters. Shame it gets so overlooked.

What it doesn't do better -and does far worse- is play well online. It was tolerable when there were less fighting games out, but now, I barely play this because the netcode is usually just bad.

And they didn't do so well with it on PC, which is a Koei trademark.

ShinMaruku

Doa has always done fine on it's own path because it was always less concerned with the traditional fgc ( Which is a master stroke because the fgc us slapdash and only plays one game) However they are listening to the database and every revision they do better, just let then know what they need to work on for doa6.

Azuardo

It seems all I hear whenever any new fighting game comes out is the netcode is bad. Are there any examples of FTG this gen with excellent netcode?

ShinMaruku

Only game with great netcode is a bad fighting game aka Injustice. Sf5 has good code but bad servers. The main issue with netcode is developer choice and how infrastructure is set across the world.

ShinMaruku

I will give KI and skullgirls that as wel. However neither seem to be setting the scene aflame, Injustice has because it's huge but since it's a bad fighting game, it just seems to point to certain parts of fighting game development are just in the wrong area.

I can't really say DOA's netcode will improve or get worse.

Eolz

Wallpaper KOF x DOA collaboration:

kula_rose_19201200.jpg

kasumi_mai_19201200.jpg

Korigama

I had been thinking before that the lack of a Kula outfit with the SNK costume crossover was wasted potential. Would've suited Marie Rose a lot better than Hinako, but I never thought much of the latter or her outfit anyway (nor do most KoF fans, though SNK tried and failed to make Hinako happen once).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I still thinking DOA5 looks better than tekken 7

Characters easily look better than Tekken 7. Tekken 7 has too many inconsistencies between character quality and the hairs are pretty terrible on some cases looking like paper cuts stick together. (Bob for example) As for stages Tekken 7 has better detail but its more focused on being flatter so it can get away with things easily but DOA has more spectacle going with the stages so I think I go for the spectacle of DOA over the flat arenas of Tekken. Overall DOA has a cleaner image quality from what I can tell plus it doesnt use CA and film grain which kinda ruin the IQ of Tekken 7 (Bless PC version for being able to take that stuff off). Don't get me wrong because Tekken 7 is a great game but on the visual department is not doing anything special.

Vazra

I honestly think Injustice 2 is the best looking fighting game this gen, and clean as well.

Injustice 2 has the best visuals for sure but the animations on the other hand are weak compared with these other games.

Eolz

Both games look better in movement, but I feel that DOA's main issue is just old models and textures, as well as issue with clothing clipping. Aka tech issues from last gen.

In terms of art and modelling, it still holds up extremely well yeah.

Vazra

Both games look better in movement, but I feel that DOA's main issue is just old models and textures, as well as issue with clothing clipping. Aka tech issues from last gen.

In terms of art and modelling, it still holds up extremely well yeah.

Tekken has some clipping issues as well tho. But neither Tekken or DOA have the terrible clipping SFV has. That one has one of the worst cases of cliping and you would expect them to clear it up a bit cause the clipping on the character select screen with some of their characters are pretty messed up.

DOA vs Tekken 7 is mostly showing how a 2012 game has hold up against modern games and in some areas surpasses some of the modern games despite the tech holding it back. The idea of how DOA6 using this modern hardware and see how it goes crazy with the visuals it will be mind blowing if they dont hold back.

Azuardo

TN's really had some talent on the art and animation side of things. Like we've talked about recently, DOA3 and 4 still look immaculate on both OG Xbox and 360. Hell, DOA2 still looks bloody good.

I've seen some T7 stuff recently, and fucking hell, Chloe's hair goes ape shit all over the place when she's just hopping around.

Clipping's tough to nail, but TN has usually done pretty well with it. I was more shocked that they effed it up in DOAX3 when it was extremely solid in X1 and X2. So I hope they don't go backwards again there with DOA6.

DoA5 still has the best looking girls in any fighting game, IMO. I am honestly suprized that TN have managed to retain that distinction for so long. I guess they are just artistic geniuses over there.
The problem I have with Tekken 7 characters, is that their bodies are too big for their pin-heads. All the characters have massive shoulders, which looks particularly bad on the girls. It looks like Namco have kept the same bodies/skeletons from Tekken 1, for their modern games.

Vazra

DoA5 still has the best looking girls in any fighting game, IMO. I am honestly suprized that TN have managed to retain that distinction for so long. I guess they are just artistic geniuses over there.
The problem I have with Tekken 7 characters, is that their bodies are too big for their pin-heads. All the characters have massive shoulders, which looks particularly bad on the girls. It looks like Namco have kept the same bodies/skeletons from Tekken 1, for their modern games.

Still props to the way they improved some of the characters. Nina seriously had it tough on TTT2
Nina_-_Bikini_-_TTT2.jpg

Still props to the way they improved some of the characters. Nina seriously had it tough on TTT2
Nina_-_Bikini_-_TTT2.jpg

Yeah, they're awful. The Tekken devs must be able to recognize how bad those models are, but maybe they fear messing up existing hit boxes or something, if they re-model those bodies?

Azuardo

Ah, I had seen some pics going around, but was all Japanese, so didn't know if it was new or not. That makes sense now! Defo can tell it's not of the quality of the original, so is a bit less appealing. Not a bad price, tho I would probably skip it.

As above, I would love something a bit more cool for Kas, like the Multiverse Studio Ayane NG3 figure. Altho not sure I would really fork out the dosh for something like that.

This DOA5 Kas figure is pretty good. And pretty expensive, going by the one on ebay I can see for over £200. I do hope they do something cool for DOA6.

Top Bottom