• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes of Newerth |OT| Free-To-Play [PC /Mac /Linux]

Is it fun? I might join.

LOL, they're charging coins for the old pollywog skin. I can't at s2 games money grabbing people like this.

LoL is more casual than Casual Mode. No denying creeps or towers, don't lose gold when you die, free 7 second TP back to base at any time, standing in grass hides you from everyone outside it, map is smaller, all heroes and items are OP (which makes it balanced).

Some videos:
http://youtu.be/hAjYdi2Gqlg
http://youtu.be/CSuXmnimcD8

Insured

Aaand with that, knowing several of these people, pretty much the last bits of my interest in HoN are done for. It was a good run while it lasted, but my image of S2 has slowly mutated from the awesome loving company who wants the best competitive game possible from the beta days to some undescribable abomination I'd rather uninstall the game than deal with.

It's kind of sad, given there is so much potential to work with here. But when the people who were really interested in improving on what is there are leaving, and the competitive scene is also slowly dying, I think it's time for me to move on. I'll still watch where things go from here, but my interest in playing the game itself sure is at an all-time low.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Aaand with that, knowing several of these people, pretty much the last bits of my interest in HoN are done for. It was a good run while it lasted, but my image of S2 has slowly mutated from the awesome loving company who wants the best competitive game possible from the beta days to some undescribable abomination I'd rather uninstall the game than deal with.

It's kind of sad, given there is so much potential to work with here. But when the people who were really interested in improving on what is there are leaving, and the competitive scene is also slowly dying, I think it's time for me to move on. I'll still watch where things go from here, but my interest in playing the game itself sure is at an all-time low.

Same. It sucks that HoN has everything I want in a MOBA: the graphics, the features, and the responsiveness. Feel bad that I used to defend S2 at every turn; yet it's almost unanimous now that the company has become absolute garbage, churning out over-priced horribly inspired alt avatars and EA heroes every week without the slightest nod to gameplay balance, improvements, or design. Changing a heroes base armor every 6 months is not balance, sorry. Every EA hero that enters the game just sours it's quality.

I'm still not thrilled about playing 60 minute DOTA 2 games, so guess I'm sticking to SWTOR for awhile. Will play the occasional DOTA 2 game, but can't wait until they keep pushing the metagame to a faster pace (ala HoN, I hope) and add in a concede feature.

Neckbeard

I posted in the SWTOR thread, but where and what am I rolling? What classes are needed? I'm going to pick up a physical copy on my way home today so I should be playing in about 2 hours if someone can get back to me before then I'd appreciate it.

IceMarker

Don't get me wrong, I'll still play HoN over DOTA 2 until they somehow improve the base mechanics and responsiveness, but I'm not paying 1 more cent to Maliken.

Rinku

Banned
I'm still not thrilled about playing 60 minute DOTA 2 games, so guess I'm sticking to SWTOR for awhile. Will play the occasional DOTA 2 game, but can't wait until they keep pushing the metagame to a faster pace (ala HoN, I hope) and add in a concede feature.

Most Dota 2 games I play last no longer than 40 minutes :D

I never played HoN, and glad I never did! I feel sorry for those who spent a dime on them.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Most Dota 2 games I play last no longer than 40 minutes :D

I never played HoN, and glad I never did! I feel sorry for those who spent a dime on them.

Feel sorry? The game was well worth the 30$. Regardless if the mods/devs at S2 are assholes, the game was/is a pretty damn good.

Styles

It was definitely worth the $30. The hundreds of hours I've spent on this game is mind boggling, and I regret none of it. Well, maybe a few of the games. I just dislike how s2 has become a money hungry company. They've nuked themselves out of orbit for me regarding the HoN store.

delirium

S2's downfall was 6800 and contempt for their fanbase.

I got my moneys worth, though.
I certainly got my money's worth and there's no excuse for some of S2's action but HoN's fan base has got to be the worst fan base I've ever seen.

I don't see how any company could put of with the shit that has thrown at them. Sometimes I think I wouldn't have acted any better than some of those S2 employees. You don't have to look further than the latest moonmeander banning.

EDIT: I don't even know why I give a fuck. I've haven't touch this game in months. I guess I've been burn out on video games in general. I've been spending most of my free time reading a lot lately.

Conceptor

kSNO8.png

Neki

I certainly got my money's worth and there's no excuse for some of S2's action but HoN's fan base has got to be the worst fan base I've ever seen.

I don't see how any company could put of with the shit that has thrown at them. Sometimes I think I wouldn't have acted any better than some of those S2 employees. You don't have to look further than the latest moonmeander banning.

EDIT: I don't even know why I give a fuck. I've haven't touch this game in months. I guess I've been burn out on video games in general. I've been spending most of my free time reading a lot lately.

you should make a stat tracking program for dota 2 so we can have balanced IHs and not get swindled by milk and swag.

bzm

How much faster do the competitive matches in HoN end compared to Dota?

i dont know about the average competitive game length (there havent been any large tourneys lately so i dont think the competition is very high right now), but i posted my average game lengths in the dota thread if youre interested

eldoon

Hon is only quicker when the games are lost i.e 20-1 by 15 minutes as there is no concede option in dota 2 .
I saw the top level hon game go like 18-2 with like a 24 minute game.
On the other hand if the game is going all the way and in tourney play i would say that around 45 to an hour 15 if both teams play well .

The new dragon hero looks pretty cool mixing a ton of old dota 2 items into 1 character.

IceMarker

I have enough gold coins for the next two EA heroes (assuming they don't change the price from 350) and then I'll officially be stuck with 20 gold coins for the rest of forever.
Until they find a way to pull me back in.

Draconis looks like another semi-carry. Tbh I haven't booted up HoN the last couple weeks except to spend my remaining gold coins. Mostly on EA stuff.

IceMarker

I don't think they hate their community, the problem is that, barring the fact they are a business that needs to nickel and dime to survive, the greed is surmounting general customer satisfaction.

Dreavus

Personally I find most of the animosity towards S2 and the shop to be somewhat blown out of proportion. Nevermind that it's pretty much all optional content and skins*, I think many people are annoyed because they like what they see - and obviously no one wants to spend money when up until recently everything has been affordable with silver. Most of the new alts coming out are pretty awesome. Do they affect gameplay? Absoultely not. Seriously. Up until recently I had no probably picking through alts that I liked and not spending a cent on gold coins and I was sitting on a huge stash (from the last x2 event) for AGES.

Even that as a business model didn't seem to make much sense. Of course, I have no access to numbers but if I was able to pick through and never spend my gold there's not much to say that others wouldn't do the same. I only started using it essentially for some premium alts and the christmas gifting promotion.

I still very much enjoy playing the game and a bunch of premium avatars that people can buy if they want isn't going to ruin MY day in the slightest. I might like them, but I understand that if I like them enough, I could always put some money down. If not, then why does it matter? I dunno, maybe I need to try playing on a Mac to let the hate flow through me. Those guys got a pretty raw deal.

*: (EA might be on a slightly different level; I don't necessarily agree with it's implementation. But it's also not going to drive me from playing the game at all. I mostly view any given EA hero as a limited time alt)

delirium

So what has S2 done to be hated on so much? How do they hate their community exactly?
I don't think S2 hates the community (they might not like a certain part of their community) rather than this is S2's first popular game. Their last game had like <1000 players. They're stumbling and falling over everything that could go possibly wrong for them and they've had a lot of growing pains.

Put this together with the fact that the MOBA community is probably the worst gaming community I've seen and you get a fanbase that douses gasoline on every small mistake they make and a company that for the longest part didn't know how to handle public relations with a large community. PR with a community of a few thousands is completely different than a community with millions of players. Things that a few thousand of similarly minded people might find funny is going to piss off a part of a community of a million. Do that enough and you'll probably offend everyone in that community and sadly S2 had done that.

you should make a stat tracking program for dota 2 so we can have balanced IHs and not get swindled by milk and swag.
I could but there are a couple of things stopping me.
1. Does Dota 2 have a Web API? If it doesn't, does it even have a website you can see your stats because you can just scrap the data off that website (although its a much more pain in the ass).
2. I currently don't have steady internet access. The only internet I can use it through my phone.
3. Because of 2, I don't have Dota 2 installed.
4. Because of 3, I don't currently play Dota 2.

eldoon

So what has S2 done to be hated on so much? How do they hate their community exactly?

During the beta they said that only cosmetic things will be added and there will be no disadvantage to players .
Then they begun early access where the heroes are overpowered for the first few weeks and then nurfed and right now they promise things and dont deliver like bug fixes and updates - mid wars map but they sell new cosmetic items for high prices and people get mad at them.
The cosmetic stuff i get but the delay in bug fixes like macs having no sound and the mega lag since a patch about 2 months ago which means i can play no sound or play with massive lag on my desktop just irks me.

Hon is still my favorite and most played pc game but sometimes i just want to reach in to the computer and strangle people on my team .

Neki

I don't think S2 hates the community (they might not like a certain part of their community) rather than this is S2's first popular game. Their last game had like <1000 players. They're stumbling and falling over everything that could go possibly wrong for them and they've had a lot of growing pains.

Put this together with the fact that the MOBA community is probably the worst gaming community I've seen and you get a fanbase that douses gasoline on every small mistake they make and a company that for the longest part didn't know how to handle public relations with a large community. PR with a community of a few thousands is completely different than a community with millions of players. Things that a few thousand of similarly minded people might find funny is going to piss off a part of a community of a million. Do that enough and you'll probably offend everyone in that community and sadly S2 had done that.

I could but there are a couple of things stopping me.
1. Does Dota 2 have a Web API? If it doesn't, does it even have a website you can see your stats because you can just scrap the data off that website (although its a much more pain in the ass).
2. I currently don't have steady internet access. The only internet I can use it through my phone.
3. Because of 2, I don't have Dota 2 installed.
4. Because of 3, I don't currently play Dota 2.

no to all of those 4. :(

eldoon

Deathmatch has been hinted.
Hon needs to step up a bit and implement either the custom maps and/or a few new modes before dota 2 launches.

eldoon

Bot mode is being hinted.
I am 100% against it , people on the forums are saying it will help bring in lol players and help people to train , but seeing a bot armadon getting his back attacked by 4 idiots which leads to a genocide will just make me cry.

Top Bottom