• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall has maximum player count of 12 (alongside AI) [Respawn comments post #558]

Gadirok

You guys shouldn't crap on it yet.

I was VERY spectical on The Last of Us Multiplayer for having only 4vs4. Yet it turns out amazing and I actually prefer having it at 4 vs 4. Anymore and it would have just become a hassle.

Having few people actually makes the encounters that much more tight and exhilerating. Just my 2 cents.

I've played games like MAG and starhawk. Having tons of people on battle doesn't help and alot of the times if someones making mistakes costing your team a win its tough to pinpoint the problem.

I would try it out first to see how it works, but I wonder just how large Titanfall maps are considering how fast some of the mechs move.

antitrop

I don't see what the big deal is with this game.

CoD has gotten stale and this is the logical successor.

I guess if you've never liked CoD in the first place, Titanfall doesn't seem like hot shit. But CoD it is the most popular shooter franchise in gaming, and deservedly so for a long period of the franchise's life. And that was because of the people that are making Titanfall.

I think people are going into this with a preconceived notion that it'll play just like CoD/BF4 with 12 people, even it's clearly not going to be that.

Heysoos

Sounds fine to me. High player count doesn't mean good. Don't forget the AI players they're going to throw in.

RK9039

Plus, the game looks really fast paced as well with players jumping from rooftop to rooftop.

It will be good.

Bgamer90

Banned
As long as the maps aren't too big, this should be fine.

Already looks very fast paced. Fast paced with a ton of players isn't that much fun.

MrDaravon

For some reason I thought we already knew this. At this point I'd much rather they show or talk some about the 360 version, the fact that it's a few months from launch and I don't think we even know who is doing that version has been very worried.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm happy with a smallerish player count. I do wish it was 8 v 8 instead of 6 v 6 though.

I am over this we need moar players thing though. I'm glad the TF2 community found out rather quickly 24 man servers were infinitely better than 32 man servers.

Not sure how I feel about this. I don't enjoy multiplayer shooters unless there's a large amount of people with me, like Big Team in Halo or TF2 on PC, or the like.

Still, we shall see. :)

Fuck yes! Makes the game that much closer to being my Halo replacement. I want small, team communicated competitive games. Titan Fall doesn't need 32 players per team, that'd be too crazy and would ruin the game.

GameSeeker

That is surprisingly low. Many of the next gen shooters are shooting for larger battles. Of course, you can make a good game with 6 vs. 6 with appropriately sized maps, but with next gen hardware it does seem larger worlds will be more popular than smaller ones.

6v6 sounds great. You'll still have the feeling of a battle bigger than 6v6 cause of the ai as well.

With more than that things tend to feel cluttered and I am assuming that with the titans running around, it could easily get out of hand with more than 12 people on a map. Good choice by respawn.

Clearly, you cannot really determine this from our POV until we play the game, but I can say with some degree of confidence that 6v6 is great for this type of shooter.

NeoGash

Don't think I'll get this game or an XB1 anytime soon, but since when did more players = better online? Gears of War 1 has 4v4 and is superior to basically every MP game out there. Small amounts of players on focused maps = great game. Too many players on small map = bad game. As long as the map sizes aren't ridiculousy large, I don't see a problem with 6v6. It is funny seeing people's reactions though, the must only play Battlefield.

It reminds me of the people who think that 'open world game >>> linear game'. They can both exist, as not everyone wants a whole horde of kids running around a playground when they can have a more focused and team oriented game.

HariKari

Whys this bad?

Because it's not nearly as appealing as you'd think. It's easy to play with friends and groups, but a smaller team means more reliance on each individual person. That's bad if people are as dumb as your run of the mill shooter teammates are nowadays. It also means smaller maps than we otherwise would have expected.

This seals the deal for me. Won't be picking up the PC version unless it is somehow different. Respawn dev posted awhile back that PC uses the same matchmaking backend as the consoles. Now I know why they didn't bother with 3rd party dedicated servers. Disappointing CoD style stuff.

Don't matter. 64 players can be a sloppy mess sometimes.

No one is denying that. But at least you have the option to go that big if you want. Here you will be playing with no more than 5 other people on your team.

Gadirok

As long as the maps aren't too big, this should be fine.

Yeah thats probably a concern. Considering you're traveling around in mechs though and how fast you move in combat, it probably doesn't matter too much if the maps are indeed too big considering you might be able to get into the combat fast anyways.

epmode

As much fun as it would be to claim that this game is hamstrung by low-powered consoles, I've seen many cases where low player counts make for fuckawesome multiplayer modes. The first Gears of War was a lot of fun, for instance.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I generally prefer smaller team stuff, but dang, a higher maximum player count would have been nice for niche game modes.

Lunzio

Prepare for Titanfall.

Still looking forward to it, but... this probably won't tear me from Battlefield.

Sneds

Apparently. I wonder if they'll get around to explaining why more players= automatically better.

But they're filling the matches up with AI which suggests that the maps are designed for more bodies. Wouldn't it be better if the AI were human?

My personal preference is for large matches in most multiplayer games... e.g. 12 v 12, or 16 v 16 even. Guess it depends on how it plays though.

Hip Hop

Apparently people think more players = automatically better.

Nah, but the trailer gave me vibes of large scale battles and the map shown does look pretty big.

Player count can take a hit in the fun and gameplay department. Just look at how horrible Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 are for the 360/PS3 (to me and other people). Different games compared to their PC and next gen counterparts. Night and day.

Well, there are two 5+ minute gameplay demos that refute this conjecture.

I would not go by two totally staged gameplay demos as any indication of that

I would really like to see some normal uncut gameplay videos of this instead of the two pre-packaged videos we've had since September

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Surprised to see negative reactions to this. Its kind of fucking arbitrary lol

You can make a multiplayer fps thats good with max 2 players and good with max 500+.

Top Bottom