• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omaha |OT| We Swear We're More Than the College World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
tell me about it. I live in Papillion and work in North O.

Got a new job and will work a little close to home, though. Thank goodness.

FyreWulff

You think that's fun, they're closing the L street bridge in South O this weekend

the streets are going to be fuuuuuuuucked

edit: also, I'm working a thread about that Jenkins guy. Like half his freaking family is arrested now for murder or accessory to it. what the hell is going on

edit2: made thread

FyreWulff

oh sweet jesus

us_oma_closeradar_plus_usen.jpg

How are our Lincolnites doing so far? Channel 6 is reporting large hail and 70mph winds in Lancaster County.

Wife, daughter and I are headed back to Omaha for Christmas with her family on the 23rd. Any chance we'll get some snow? I'd love for my daughter to have her first snow experience to be at Christmastime.

Also looking forward to the nonstop flight from Seattle on Alaska Airlines. So much nicer than layovers at MSP.

mollipen

I'm heading back for the holidays too! Will be happy to see snow, but hope I get to actually see some fall while I'm there.

FyreWulff

I'm heading back for the holidays too! Will be happy to see snow, but hope I get to actually see some fall while I'm there.

Fall was here an entire two days! Just woke up one day and

74V3EqSl.jpg

Trees exploded.

Maybe we'll get enough melt before it snows again to make it feel fall.

Its been stupid cold. Temps below 10+wind=a miserable walk to class

And everyone playing MarioKart on the Dodge Expressway.

Husker86

Google Now saved my ass from being late to work because of the accidents on Dodge yesterday. There were like three separate ones right at the 132nd St exit...plus the bad one by the interstate/Dodge split.

This but with the street cleared. It snowed for the entire day after this was taken

DwRR5CSl.jpg

I was in Omaha in 2009 for Christmas when that blizzard hit. It was really crazy seeing the city completely shut down. I mean, Seattle shuts down over a couple inches because we don't know how to deal with it. When Omaha shuts down, you know it's bad.

FyreWulff

Google Now saved my ass from being late to work because of the accidents on Dodge yesterday. There were like three separate ones right at the 132nd St exit...plus the bad one by the interstate/Dodge split.

I took my stepdad to work because his truck wouldn't start. Starting from South O, there was an accident on 50th & L, 42nd & O, 59th & Q... I was damn near ready to backtrack all the way to Center then come back over to L to get around all of the traffic.

Actually, when was the last time we didn't have a white Christmas? Feels like we had a couple years in a row of winter storm warnings or blizzard conditions in mid December. I know we had snow on the ground last year further out west in central nebraska

Actually, when was the last time we didn't have a white Christmas? Feels like we had a couple years in a row of winter storm warnings or blizzard conditions in mid December. I know we had snow on the ground last year further out west in central nebraska

I don't remember there being snow in 2011. We stay in Seattle on even years and head to Omaha on odd years.

FyreWulff

Snow
showers
forecasted for Christmas Eve!

Just got some major dental work done at Premier Dental way out in west O. Long, long drive from South O but worth it.

Husker86

Anyone get CenturyLink 1 gigibit fiber yet?

I called and was almost done signing up...the lady said it would be $99.99/month for the first year, then when the signing up was almost done she was like "actually I can't get that price for internet alone, but I can do $80/month if you sign up for Prism TV". Cheapest TV package was $45/month and it didn't even have free HD after the first month and probably no DVR (the only way I'd ever make use of a TV subscription).

Gonna go in to an actual store today to see if there is anything they can do. It makes no sense to charge $150/month for just internet when they'd give me internet + TV for $125/month. I can understand bundle pricing, but the bundle shouldn't be cheaper than one piece of it alone.

Palmer_v1

I'm living down in Bellevue, near Cornhusker and 75. The only intersection in town that annoys me more is 72nd and Dodge area. I work downtown near the Doubletree, but leave early enough that I can avoid traffic for the most part.

I'm working today and tomorrow and hear there's a good chance we're getting more snow + sleet today. Glad I park in a garage for everything.

I checked into the CenturyLink fiber, but my neighborhood isn't in the area they plan to cover from what I see.

New(ish) to the area, and generally hang out and play Warmachine and other tabletop games down at The Game Shoppe fairly often. What are some other good places to go?

Welcome to the area Palmer. I only frequent Bellevue for Thursday trivia with friends at Applebee's and occasional trips to Stella's for some amazing burgers. Can't help you much outside of that though as I'm way out in NW Omaha.

And yes 72nd and Dodge blows (well, 72nd St. in general).

FyreWulff

I was just down in your area, Palmer. Traffic is getting absurd. Also they just obliterated Fantasy's down there, wtf happened?

Also, for anyone running around.. the Bellevue Wal Mart has 7 Xbox Ones, and 2 PS4s.

Welcome to the area Palmer. I only frequent Bellevue for Thursday trivia with friends at Applebee's and occasional trips to Stella's for some amazing burgers. Can't help you much outside of that though as I'm way out in NW Omaha.

And yes 72nd and Dodge blows (well, 72nd St. in general).

Unofficial ranking of worst intersections for me:

72nd and Dodge, 72nd and L (way too small to handle the traffic that goes through it), let's just say 72nd
24th & L
84th & Q (seriously? No turn arrow?)
Trying to get on Radial from anywhere not a major street

Grand prize winner:
This abomination where you have to cross against traffic when coming from the north and you want to go south. Both directions have a steady green. Whyyyyyyy

mollipen

I remember when my mother scared me about the idea of ever going near 90th & Dodge during rush hour. She's go out of her way to avoid it if we had to go out around that time, and when I was old enough to drive, I'd do the same.

Then I moved to LA. *laughs* It's funny to me now what I used to consider terrible traffic. I'd love to be dealing with that again!

FyreWulff

Going to Seattle and Chicago was my first time thinking "shit, our traffic isn't so bad after all".

Then I went to LA this year for E3. I think if I tried to drive in that city I'd just curl up in a ball and cry.

Palmer_v1

I've driven in a lot of areas that had worse traffic, but it will never stop me from being extremely annoyed by bad intersections in any setting.

I'm gonna try to head to west O for Oscar's wings soon. I love char buff, and the only other place I know I can get them is Brewsky's. I'm disappointed in the delivery options down here in Bellevue so far. Can't find a good chinese place, Roman Coin is the only decent pizza I've found, and we're completely lacking in other choices AFAIK.

Stella's is pretty legit though. I've known about them since I was stationed at Offutt a few years back. Also had Drovers a few weeks back, which was delicious.

Any suggestions for lunchtime food around 16th and douglas during the week? So far, the best I've found is a greek place called The Athenian in the Brandeis food court.

I've driven in a lot of areas that had worse traffic, but it will never stop me from being extremely annoyed by bad intersections in any setting.

I'm gonna try to head to west O for Oscar's wings soon. I love char buff, and the only other place I know I can get them is Brewsky's. I'm disappointed in the delivery options down here in Bellevue so far. Can't find a good chinese place, Roman Coin is the only decent pizza I've found, and we're completely lacking in other choices AFAIK.

Stella's is pretty legit though. I've known about them since I was stationed at Offutt a few years back. Also had Drovers a few weeks back, which was delicious.

Any suggestions for lunchtime food around 16th and douglas during the week? So far, the best I've found is a greek place called The Athenian in the Brandeis food court.
Oscar's is amazing. I would say they have my favorite Char-Buff wings.

^ If you like cajun foods try Jazz : A Louisiana Kitchen off 14th and Farnam. The Chicken A la Mur is killer.
I haven't been there for a few years, but when I worked down their they had Shrimp Etouffee. It was DAMN good.

Palmer_v1

Wife and I need to start hitting the gym down in Bellevue. Anyone have opinions between Anytime Fitness,Bob's gym, and Blue Moon Fitness down here?

mollipen

At least I've gotten some snow for my week of being here! We'll see if I get any more before I leave on Friday.

And Omaha, I love you, but you feel smaller and smaller every time I come back to see you.

FyreWulff

At least I've gotten some snow for my week of being here! We'll see if I get any more before I leave on Friday.

And Omaha, I love you, but you feel smaller and smaller every time I come back to see you.

Someday it's going to be forced to grow up.

Some day.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I've mulled over starting one here in South Dakota. I'm surprised SD has zero, tbh; I would've expect Sioux Falls to at least have one or something.

FyreWulff

I have a family member that's drove trucks for a couple of food distributors. I believe it's because Runza is still mulling the costs of getting the contract to supply any stores up there.

A lot of the fast food and other restaurants in Sioux Falls are supplied by food distributors in Omaha. If you've ever eaten at a Subway up there for example, the family member drove the truck that deliver the food to it from Omaha for some years :)

(He still has PTSD from the months they run every footlong being 5$ promotions)

I became a vegetarian almost five years ago but I'm not going to lie...if I ever ate meat again, the first thing I'd buy would be a Runza. A lot of nostalgia there, even though I don't think they are all that great relatively speaking

I became a vegetarian almost five years ago but I'm not going to lie...if I ever ate meat again, the first thing I'd buy would be a Runza. A lot of nostalgia there, even though I don't think they are all that great relatively speaking

Get some of the soy "ground beef" and sautee it with onions, cabbage, and whatever. Use something like those pilsbury cresent roll tubes of dough; cut the dough into pieces, roll flat and then fill with the cooled filler. Lookup beirock recipes online, make some.

see5harp

No real reason to ever go back to Omaha but I'm really surprised to see my Alma Mater Creighton dominate the big East. That made Villanova look bitchmade the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom