• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT9| There is no Cow Hero

jviggy43

Any suggestions on what role/heroes to play to rank up in Plat? I'm mostly playing support and while its fun and rewarding our success depends entirely on whether DPS/Tanks will actually kill anyone aka SHOOT THE FUCKING PHARAH.

Never trust random dps. Get good with a hit scan and take over.

Chance

Never trust random dps. Get good with a hit scan and take over.

Yep. I'll often try Mercy if it fits the comp, but sometimes your team doesn't DESERVE a kickass Mercy so I pull out Tracer and live off health packs.

For some reason I found Zen was pretty boss for ranking up too, but as a rule I'd say go Soldier, maybe Zarya.

LiK

Hog and Zarya are the tanks to climb with in solo Q from what I've been told. If you can get good with them, you can pretty much destroy and carry your teams.

Hog and Zarya are the tanks to climb with in solo Q from what I've been told. If you can get good with them, you can pretty much destroy and carry your teams.

Truth, although a great Reinhardt is a godsend for almost every team.

The 3 best are definitely Soldier, Roadhog, and Tracer though.

It's very hard to climb with a support imo

Too reliant on other people not being shit

Just go tracer or someone that can be independent but still have an impact

Yep. I'll often try Mercy if it fits the comp, but sometimes your team doesn't DESERVE a kickass Mercy so I pull out Tracer and live off health packs.

For some reason I found Zen was pretty boss for ranking up too, but as a rule I'd say go Soldier, maybe Zarya.

Zen is amazing... DPS and healing all in one. With the recent aim buff he's even good at taking down a Pharah single handedly. He's the only support you can reliably climb with, now that Lucio's aura is nerfed.

LiK

It's very hard to climb with a support imo

Too reliant on other people not being shit

Just go tracer or someone that can be independent but still have an impact

Zen is def the Support to play. At least you can do some real damage yourself and help them out with discords if your team's DPS is mediocre.

jviggy43

Soldier is the easiest character to get good with and give your team awesome returns. Hes useful in almost every single gametype/comp/map.

Yeah Zar can def carry in plat. The only problem being is if the other team runs a pharmacy. Then youre at the whim of your hitscan dps (if your team even has one lol). Thats basically why I started staying DPS in the previous seasons because while its easy to use hog or zar, youre trusting DPS to random's which take a bit higher of a skill ceiling to be excellent with. Best let your weakest of the group take the easy characters and provide the dps in my experience.

Good example is, earlier today I played a game with my younger cousin on my smurf in diamond. Our soldier was having trouble taking out the other team's phara. We had our other DPS switch to Mcree to help, switched to zen, and I power boosted him with mercy. Still wasn't getting it done. Immediately next round I jumped right on soldier.

If you absolutely must play support but tend to notice people in your games having trouble with Pharah / Flankers, Ana is also a good option.

She has a lot more survivability than Mercy when cornered.

If you can trust your team though, Mercy is so good.

With that being said, my Support / Defense WR is like 10 percent lower than my Tank / DPS WR. I need to just play what I'm best at.

N7.Angel

Are the servers fuck or what ?

Edit: relaunching the game solved the issues, I got disconnect from a game for no reason and the game wouldn't let me search for an another game.

If you absolutely must play support but tend to notice people in your games having trouble with Pharah / Flankers, Ana is also a good option.

She has a lot more survivability than Mercy when cornered.

If you can trust your team though, Mercy is so good.

With that being said, my Support / Defense WR is like 10 percent lower than my Tank / DPS WR. I need to just play what I'm best at.

I differ, Anna can help but not to take down certain enemy DPS, you need DPS for Phara or a good Zen

Ramirez

The quality of comp games is so damn bad on PS4 this season. So many smurf accounts maining Torb or something equally stupid.

When is the revised avoid feature supposed to hit? Did I dream that was a thing coming?

Next match a Hanzo named "notswitching". Great...

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I differ, Anna can help but not to take down certain enemy DPS, you need DPS for Phara or a good Zen

It's a trade off. Ana while focusing on Pharah is not healing. While Zen can. Zen can also take down Pharah than Ana easier. He's definitely a much better Pharah counter than Ana, though a bit harder to do. Ana is a much better healer though and the only one that can "save" a tank without an Ult.

Mercy on the other hand can easily escape Pharah. She recovers quick and can move around every 3 seconds. People underrate the peashooter too, but if the Pharah is thinking Mercy is an easy Kill. Float and Peashoot her ass.

Ended my session 9 SR less than when I started. Not bad but I'm still just a little more than 200 SR down from my high. I'll get back there and then some one of these days. Thinking of trying some early morning Comp. Wonder how that goes on Xbox.

I climbed to Diamond mostly playing Mercy and I almost got to masters mostly playing Mercy as well.

It's harder but not impossible
Two seasons in a row now I've climbed to Diamond mostly playing Lucio and hit a new career high of 3116 this season. I've fallen a little over the last week or so but it is doable as a support main. That feel when you carry a team.

I just want to make sure I'm doing HotS event correctly if I'm on PS4.
My PSN is connected to my Blizzard account, and I've logged into the Blizzard client on my PC with the Blizzard account that's connected to PLAN, and am playing HotS. If I finish 5 matches, I'll get Oni Genji on PS4 right?

LiK

My PSN is connected to my Blizzard account, and I've logged into the Blizzard client on my PC with the Blizzard account that's connected to PLAN, and am playing HotS. If I finish 5 matches, I'll get Oni Genji on PS4 right?

Yup

Chance

Five matches with a friend.

You have to play with a friend.

AbaFadi

Banned
I came back from a 2.5 week vacation and I'm so bad at this game now lol. Decay is also annoying. My alt account dropped from 4400 to 3800 rip.

IKizzLE

I came back from a 2.5 week vacation and I'm so bad at this game now lol. Decay is also annoying. My alt account dropped from 4400 to 3800 rip.
Bro that game we just had....smh.
I've been decaying and losing as well. I might be in diamonds by next week. Too much persona 5.

antitrop

I decided to get back into CS: GO today, and after 3 Competitive matches it put me on a 20 hour cooldown to "recalibrate my skill rating".

At least Overwatch doesn't do that :(

I wish they'd incentivize the shit out of 3v3 elimination.

Or even a full 6v6 in that style.

Because it feels great when you have a team that clicks.

Anyone wanna do 5 matches of Heroes of the Storm tomorrow with me? In UK so a time that works with that.

Blizzard ID: KylieDog#2745

Connected in Europe but I can change that anytime I like, right?

I decided to get back into CS: GO today, and after 3 Competitive matches it put me on a 20 hour cooldown to "recalibrate my skill rating".

At least Overwatch doesn't do that :(

I remember going to CS:GO to prepare for hitscans and Widow LOL. Custom games and practice range are better, but you can still sharpen your FPS overall skillset there. Projectile heroes require actual playtime and a lot of hours of playing matches.

antitrop

I remember going to CS:GO to prepare for hitscans and Widow LOL. Custom games and practice range are better, but you can still sharpen your FPS overall skillset there. Projectile heroes require actual playtime and a lot of hours of playing matches.

I'm 100x better at CS than I am playing DPS in Overwatch. I've played CS on and off since 2001, it feels like a second home.

Man every time I pick Junkrat on Eichenwalde or Oasis people give me shit for it but I played Demoman in TF2 enough that I can two shot Pharah if she dares come into range.

I can pick off flying Mercys with the mine too.

But I can be half as useful as Pharah and no one will complain lol.

PatzCU

I climbed to Diamond mostly playing Mercy and I almost got to masters mostly playing Mercy as well.

It's harder but not impossible

Is Mercy the go to healer these days? I've been out of the loop since probably 2-3 months after launch. Played a lot of Lucio at that time and have been playing Lucio now but would gladly play another support if he is shit-tier these days.

antitrop

Is Mercy the go to healer these days? I've been out of the loop since probably 2-3 months after launch. Played a lot of Lucio at that time and have been playing Lucio now but would gladly play another support if he is shit-tier these days.

Lucio and Ana are still the "normal" supports. Mercy has niche use with Pharah and Zen goes with Lucio in dive comps.

Mercy will always be popular in regular matchmaking, regardless of her viability.

Chance

He ain't shit-tier.

Meta is probably an Ana > Lucio > Mercy > Zen, but an average Mercy will heal more than an average Ana. Ana's anti-heal grenade and the sleep dart just give her more utility.

antitrop

He ain't shit-tier.

Meta is probably an Ana > Lucio > Mercy > Zen, but an average Mercy will heal more than an average Ana. Ana's anti-heal grenade and the sleep dart just give her more utility.

Nano boost is also considerably easier to get value out of than Rez.

Anne

Blizz is officially killing my hype for this game zzzz

Leaving the ranked mode kind of a mess, taking forever to get OWL going, canning smaller online tournaments. The only thing to even keep me remotely interested is APEX.

I wish they'd incentivize the shit out of 3v3 elimination.

Or even a full 6v6 in that style.

Because it feels great when you have a team that clicks.

I wish they would also punish drawing out a game more. I've had plenty of Tracers or Sombras make the last part of a game a pain in the ass. Then there's the issue with camping too. I think 3v3 is really undercooked in this game, a small objective to it like Titanfall 2's Live Fire mode might be nice.

Top Bottom