• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chapter 4 from Uncharted The Lost Legacy (the open worldish area): love or hate?

Mmm, it would be a lie to say I hated it or even anything as strong as that, but I felt the game picked up a lot after that section. I just don't think Uncharted's gameplay systems or strengths make for a compelling match to open world exploration and combat, quite the opposite in fact. It was totally fine though.

Vildiil

Ruined the pace for me. Stopped playing halfway through the chapter. I prefer the more linear gameplay with uncharted.

Griss

It was good but it has the same problem most of Uncharted - that exploration has little to no reward. A lame trinket pick up or couple extra lines of dialogue isn't really enough.

But where it works is stumbling upon a good 'level' for a shootout and then progressing under your own steam to the next one. That was fun. And it was shockingly gorgeous.

EDIT: Ignore my idiocy, I thought this was about U4.

WITHE1982

I rather enjoyed it but I wouldn't like a full 8+ hour game with that style (not from ND anyway).

It was a nice break from the liner stuff and the best part is it didn't overstay its welcome before the game got back to its bread and butter.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Loved it. Was a nice break and surprise surrounded by linear bombast in the chapters before and after.

TrutaS

I enjoyed that doing the side stuff had a clear reward, not just an achievement and thefore was meaningful to the gameplay. I enjoyed it, was immersed and thought it fit the pace. Gave time to let the characters chat calmy and bond without all the adrenaline.

I enjoyed the open section, it was very well done and wasn't full of useless filler, so didn't become overwhelming or boring. Just the main mission, with some beautiful scenery and great puzzles, plus the 1 collectable side mission, felt perfect.

Loved the whole game tbh and the last level, wow, what an incredible action set piece, so awesome.

jdstorm

Banned
Both/Neither

I realise that this is a bad answer but its the best one i have. I probably liked and disliked aspects of that chapter in equal ammounts.

The sense of place
The aspect of choice in what you could do next

Dislike
It relied on me to make the pace of the game.
It was too short and a bit underdone. IE the paths between sections felt mosty like there was only one way to get between locations. Typically you want more freedom of approaches in openworld environments

If i had to make a choice one way or the other i would say i dislike the "wide linnear approach" that basically just adds open world bloat to a perfectly good linnear game (looking at you Rise of the Tomb Raider). I personally would prefer pretty halways or a propper open world.

I enjoyed the game until then, however when I got there I just kinda stopped playing. Might have something to do with Kiwami releasing though.

Meh. Instead of climbing you were driving to the next enemy encounter. It wasn't awful because you got to look at dem graphics while you were doing it but I prefer the climbing.

best in the series.

Amazing open world prototype.

Rewarding exploration.

Non linear progression...

No HUD. No question pointer, nice side content, etc...

It was pretty cool but I think I had more fun with the rest of the game, probably because the plot advanced and there were some good set pieces.

Edit: It all depends on what people values more. To me Uncharted 4 Chapter 4 was mindblowing in every sense of the word combining gameplay with plot, fan service and excellent writing and acting, I pretty much prefer that to a regular open world game with common activities. It was entertaining and pretty well integrated but it didn't mean anything too impacful for me.

I'm pretty sure some people might state that Chapter 4 in Uncharted 4 is boredom made videogame.

it was fine but really just a few mini-uncharted levels you could choose the order of. didn't exactly strike me as a bold new direction for the franchise.

loved the rest of the game overall, though, linearity and everything.

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
I think it had the right approach for that series, a sequence or two where you get more of a sense of exploration and a side quest (Granted, a pretty boring one of collecting trinkets) before they funnel you back into the heavy story focused linear gameplay stuff. A good way to break up a 10 hour playthrough thats super linear.

I think they could've made the sidequest stuff more interesting. I really would've liked an optional mini-map, or an on-screen waypoint of sorts you could set from the map because it was a little easy to get turned around without something to keep you pointed in the right direction. Some things to improve in a 2.0 attempt.

I wouldn't want a whole game of that from Naughty Dog, because that's usually not what their strengths are. But I like the variety so you're not doing the same things for 10+ hours.

void666

Banned
best in the series.

Amazing open world prototype.

Rewarding exploration.

Non linear progression...

No HUD. No question pointer, nice side content, etc...

Rewardind how?

I just want a story driven linear action game with cool set pieces and good encounter design. No brain dead climbing and baby stealth. Am i asking too much?

Alienous

It was well done, I wouldn't ascribe love or hate to it.

It's the correct way of handling a non-linear section of the game. You maintain control of the pace, and are given (a vague) incentive to complete your side-objective. If you want to progress in the game at any time it's clear what how you can make that happen.

'Open world' gives it too much credit.

dr_rus

Hated it. Pointless driving around with nothing to explore basically and three things to repeat already. The game absolutely drags in this part which is highlighted by what comes next after it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mmm, it would be a lie to say I hated it or even anything as strong as that, but I felt the game picked up a lot after that section. I just don't think Uncharted's gameplay systems or strengths make for a compelling match to open world exploration and combat, quite the opposite in fact. It was totally fine though.

I feel much the same way. It's a nice change of pace, but the game, like A Thief's End, is at its most compelling when it's embracing linearity: guiding you with an unseen hand through quieter moments of exploration and puzzle solving that are peppered with combat encounters and increasingly extravagant setpieces. I'm not against open-world games -- in point of fact, the AssCreed series is my guiltiest of pleasures -- but that's not a path I'd like Uncharted to travel any further down.

I love it,because if you don't like exploration and open aspect just go through the main objectives,the game gave you free choice,love it and I am pretty sure Naughty Dog will improve even further with The Last of Us Part 2 since the first was much more about explorantion and craft than Uncharted never was,I just imagine what side stories like Irish's community and hidden weapons,colecting separetes weapons to combine them,with clickers,runners and human enemies all over the place,interacting between them,everthing in a big open area,without losing the main focus in narrative,the posibilities are amazing.But one chapter is enough for me,don't make a entire game,could break the narrative.

LOVED IT but...it was almost too long (probably because of the side mission). I think if they were to make more sections like that in future Uncharted games, they should makes them shorter and spread out into other chapters.
The side mission was pretty cool and the reward was fantastic.

Zedark

I loved it. It gave a change of pace for the rest of the game, allowing some practice in driving through narrow areas (
a skill you will need later on
) and allows you to hone your fighting skills at your own pace as well. Nice training area, as well as being really fun in itself, of course! And quite some fun puzzles as well!

Enjoyable enough. Better than the plains of Madagascar, but not as good as the tropical island. I think what kinda hurt it a bit is that Chloe and Nadine aren't as engaging leads as Nate and Sully/Sam, so the back-and-forth interactions weren't as enjoyable to listen to during the downtime. The optional collectables and mini-puzzle segments were the star of the show for me personally.

I'm glad there was only one chapter like that in the game, because shit would've dragged on big time with another added to the mix. I like my Uncharted linear and/or high-velocity for the most part.

AudioEppa

It was pretty cool but I think I had more fun with the rest of the game, probably because the plot advanced and there were some good set pieces.

Edit: It all depends on what people values more. To me Uncharted 4 Chapter 4 was mindblowing in every sense of the word combining gameplay with plot, fan service and excellent writing and acting, I pretty much prefer that to a regular open world game with common activities. It was entertaining and pretty well integrated but it didn't mean anything too impacful for me.

I'm pretty sure some people might state that Chapter 4 in Uncharted 4 is boredom made videogame.

Damn I loved Chapter 4 in U4 so much. I spent like 30 minutes just walking around the house looking at all that sexy detail. I would have preferred to go outside and check out their regular life neighborhood, That's more interesting to me than driving or walking around the fucking jungle. I hate the jungle.

'Like'.

I appreciated that it was optional, I found it enjoyable and it fit Chloe for her to want to actually do those tasks. It's definitely a step up from the similar section in UC4. Car was very easy to maneuver and it wasn't difficult to navigate the area. Never bored or thought it overstayed its welcome.

I'm mostly interested in it as to how much, if at all, it is a sneak peek of stuff they could be doing in TLOU2.

I liked the chapter by itself, but it ruined the pace of the game for me. It was just a bit too long.

That being said, the chapter in particular was super fun and I really had a good time playing it

Memento

'Like'.

I appreciated that it was optional, I found it enjoyable and it fit Chloe for her to want to actually do those tasks. It's definitely a step up from the similar section in UC4. Car was very easy to maneuver and it wasn't difficult to navigate the area. Never bored or thought it overstayed its welcome.

I'm mostly interested in it as to how much, if at all, it is a sneak peek of stuff they could be doing in TLOU2.

I think this kind of level design will shine a lot in TLOU2

XenoRaven

I thought it was great. I would have liked to see another similar section in the game, each book ended by the typical linear progression of the series.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I personally enjoyed exploring Lost Legacy open area way more than Horizon open world.

jdstorm

Banned
I think this kind of level design will shine a lot in TLOU2

With 90% of things its about execution. So it could work. Then again...Rise of the Tomb Raider essentially tried that (adding crafting, semi open area's and sidequests to its uncharted esque formula) and it seemed like an incredibly flawed concept.

i hated it at first thinking OH GOD NOW I HAVE TO GO ROAMING AND ALL THIS SHIT. i ended up loving it, and this is from someone who generally doesn't like the uncharted series

uocooper

I thought it was a great part of an amazing game. The world they built was just a thrill to explore and I always looked forward to seeing what surprises were around the next corner. You weren't forced into collecting every token to get to the part with all the monkeys but I'm glad that I did.

Loved it. Nice little pockets with enemy encounters, a meaningful reward for completing all of its decent to great puzzles, amusing banter, beautiful locales to marvel at, and a real sense of exploration. It's everything Madagascar couldn't deliver on in Uncharted 4.

jjonez18

I hated the jeep traversal. I don't like having to stop, pull out a map, and figure out where I'm supposed to go. Then fumble my way over there for the fun stuff. Then when the platforming, shooting, explosions, and banter is over, I gotta pull out my map again. Looks like I gotta go all the way to the other side of the map now. Then proceed to do some more fumbling in the Jeep.

The least fun part of the game for me so far.

Edit: Sorry am an edit addict. Flow of consciousness type.

dreamfall

I absolutely loved it. Just a really chill explorative piece, and tracking down Hoysola artifacts and relics at my own pace was awesome. Each tower felt unique and had a cool puzzle or setpiece associated with it. I heartily enjoyed it!

I like it overall, BUT it is a pace killer. The only reason why I still like it overall is because ND filled it with great content. Unique and memorable combat, puzzles, a little exploration challenge.

So chapter 4 is good, but not because of the structure imo.

I think a story setup where Chloe or Drake have to race to the treasure against the bad guy don't really work in open world game.

A different scenario where the character have all the time they need to explore a completely open world island or something would be a more interesting experiment for the open world structure. You're in an island. Have a base camp as a hub, and from there you can explore the island, collecting small treasures, clues, puzzles etc before you get the big treasures.

I hated the jeep traversal. I don't like having to stop, pull out a map, and figure out where I'm supposed to go. When I actually got to the temples it was fun.

I abandoned the jeep a lot of the time and did plenty of on-foot traversal. The region is small enough that you can avoid long, tedious walks.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Hated the open areas in Uncharted 4 but absolutely loved chapter 4 in The Lost Legacy because everything in it was meaningful and filled with puzzles or enemy encounters where as in Uncharted 4, it was predetermined with an action scene against the armored car. Madagascar was simply empty and boring to me. The Lost Legacy is what Uncharted 4 should have been but wasn't.

Top Bottom