• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition |OT| Big Third Party Support From Microsoft

13ruce

Banned
This is gonna sell like crazy world wide and it being at the launch window is huge for both Microsoft and Ninty.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Versions of Mincraft I own:

PC (original)
Windows 10 Edition
Xbox One Edition
Xbox 360 Edition
PS4 Edition
Vita Edition
Wii U Edition
Pocket Edition (iPhone)
Pocket Edition (Windows Phone)
Pocket Edition (Google Play Store)
Pocket Edition (Gear VR)

And after tomorrow:

Nintendo Switch Edition (Daughters Switch)
Nintendo Switch Edition (My Switch)

PC original x4 (one each for me and my two kids, one extra when one of my kids got really upset at picking the wrong name and wanted to change it)

Plus a bunch of other platforms. Don't know how the gear VR version is, but the free patch for vive was amazing

Minecraft is not really my thing, but yeah, this will be big. Easily the biggest 3rd party seller for the Switch as of yet. I know. Bold prediction.

Mael

Y'all this is gonna be big. Been playing for a few days now and it is an absolute joy to have basically the full experience on the go. MP servers aren't up yet, so those impressions are yet to come. Achievements, touch screen controls and an insane amount of content might make this the definitive way to play (aside from PC of course)

Side note: My podcast is giving away a copy of the game if anyone is interested. https://twitter.com/SHAssemblyLine/status/862361692008828928

Wait what?
Someone can expand and explain exactly what is meant here?

OmegaFax

I'm looking forward to the eventual Wii U -> Switch transfer feature simply because the console versions of Minecraft ought to all share a common format and converting smaller PC maps that don't rely on any PC resource maps should also work.

Edit: Touch screen controls are probably an overstatement. If it's like the Vita version, it will allow you to select a tool from the menu with a finger tap. The Wii U and Vita versions lacked any sort of inventory or crafting features that took advantage of the touch screen.

Edit 2: By advantage, I mean full use outside of tapping. No drag n' drop.

They're also reporting in that article that you can play 2 player with a set of joycons, which is false. They obviously didn't even try multi.
From the article: " local multiplayer traditionally requires several parameters to be met: first you need a television, at least one friend, a few controllers, and heck, throw in some pizza. In the case of the Switch nearly all of these requirements—minus the pizza—are tossed out the window. With the screen capable of serving as your TV, and a set of Joy-Con controllers providing input for two players, you can set up shop and build alongside a friend at a moment's notice."

NMFried

Wait what?
Someone can expand and explain exactly what is meant here?

Sorry! I should have explained. Menus and inventory management via touch screen. So not exactly "controls," but UI and stuff. Not sure if the Vita version had this, but it's a welcome feature.

Versions I own: PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One and now Switch.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Sorry! I should have explained. Menus and inventory management via touch screen. So not exactly "controls," but UI and stuff. Not sure if the Vita version had this, but it's a welcome feature.

fps controls + touch for inventory mgmt sounds perfect

Shahadan

Can't believe I still haven't tried Minecraft, but it's so damn ugly. Kinda want to see what the fuss is about even though I've played many games like it already.

Mael

I'm looking forward to the eventual Wii U -> Switch transfer feature simply because the console versions of Minecraft ought to all share a common format and converting smaller PC maps that don't rely on any PC resource maps should also work.

Edit: Touch screen controls are probably an overstatement. If it's like the Vita version, it will allow you to select a tool from the menu with a finger tap. The Wii U and Vita versions lacked any sort of inventory or crafting features that took advantage of the touch screen.

And there goes my interest for the game.
I still would very much like a vid showing how it works on Switch though...
Lack of any real touchscreen inventory was what stayed my hand on the Wii U version in the 1st hand.
I have the PC version and can't really go back from the touch/mouse inventory :/

e:
Edit 2: By advantage, I mean full use outside of tapping. No drag n' drop.

Guys, you're killing me.
How does the inventory management works with the touchscreen?
I mean for crafting and stuffs.

SCB3

I, for some reason, own every version of Minecraft released so far, don't even play the game, bores me after an hour or so,

So, of course, I'll be getting this

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Versions of Mincraft I own:

PC (original)
Windows 10 Edition
Xbox One Edition
Xbox 360 Edition
PS4 Edition
Vita Edition
Wii U Edition
Pocket Edition (iPhone)
Pocket Edition (Windows Phone)
Pocket Edition (Google Play Store)
Pocket Edition (Gear VR)

And after tomorrow:

Nintendo Switch Edition (Daughters Switch)
Nintendo Switch Edition (My Switch)

You still need the raspberry pi edition
And the ps3 version.

You're not a real fan fam

The achievements bit intrigues me, like how is this on Switch and is it like the XBO/360 MS achievements? Was this in non-MS versions also? Any screencaps?

Because this would be a megaton if Microsoft is allowing their achievement system of sorts be in a Switch game.

molnizzle

The achievements bit intrigues me, like how is this on Switch and is it like the XBO/360 MS achievements? Was this in non-MS versions also? Any screencaps?

Because this would be a megaton if Microsoft is allowing their achievement system of sorts be in a Switch game.

Microsoft doesn't give a fuck. I get Xbox Live achievements playing Minecraft on my Apple iPhone.

Nintendo probably isn't down, though. I imagine the "achievements" here are just in-game pop ups, like Shovel Knight.

Dremorak

Banned

They will be ingame achievements, the pc version has that too

HeeHo

They're also reporting in that article that you can play 2 player with a set of joycons, which is false. They obviously didn't even try multi.
From the article: " local multiplayer traditionally requires several parameters to be met: first you need a television, at least one friend, a few controllers, and heck, throw in some pizza. In the case of the Switch nearly all of these requirements—minus the pizza—are tossed out the window. With the screen capable of serving as your TV, and a set of Joy-Con controllers providing input for two players, you can set up shop and build alongside a friend at a moment's notice."

Whaaat? I thought that was true. I guess it makes sense though considering you have to move the camera and your own movement.

Dremorak

Banned
Whaaat? I thought that was true. I guess it makes sense though considering you have to move the camera and your own movement.

They could have easily done the following:

autojump like the mobile version
Lstick - move
clickLstick - sprint
face buttons to move your view (maybe even with a bit of gyro for good measure
plus/minus for crafting menu/ pause menu
L trigger place block
R trigger use/ dig

Not impossible, not the best way to play, but it would totally work

I know the general details of Minecraft, but not some specifics. I've been thinking about buying this so I'll ask a couple questions:

Do you need some kinda account to play online? I remember a thread a few days ago about bad luck with accounts. I believe thats pc only and not on Switch but I'm not sure.

Can you choose where music starts and stops when creating? The videos I've seen it seems like music plays at random.

When creating, can you make it so blocks can't be destroyed for a more linear map?

And I'm pretty sure it does but just to make sure: You can play anyone's other creations online and play online with randoms right?

Sorry for all the questions. Despite Minecraft being so popular its oddly hard to find specifics.

Matticers

Can you play in the Mario created overworlds in survival mode? Or is it just like a tutorial thing where you can explore it but that's about it? It would be cool to do survival there and add on to it in your own way.

Plum

Can you play in the Mario created overworlds in survival mode? Or is it just like a tutorial thing where you can explore it but that's about it? It would be cool to do survival there and add on to it in your own way.

All the pre-made worlds can be played in all three game modes (Creative, Survival, Adventure). I've explored most of them and none seem like they'd totally limit potential survival by making resources too scarce, I think you'd be fine.

Maybe this is the version that finally gets me to try this game. A version that I can tinker around with on the go, as well as on the big screen( well, that just describes the switch angle in general lol)? Hmmm....

NMFried

Thank you.
Take your time, report when you feel like it.

No worries at all. So after messing with the menus, it looks like you can select and navigate the crafting screen, but you can't click to craft or drag items to sort inventory. It's a weird implementation, but I suppose it's a start.

Hope that helps!

Oh heck yeah i'm glad someone made a thread

Either I haven't seen them or they've gone without me noticing but where in tarnation is the PR for this game? I've seen exactly two things; one small livestream from IGN and one from GameXplain.

Basically, I'm trying to find out what exactly is included in the game skin/map wise.

GameXplain shows the menu for a few seconds and It looks like there's Battle and Beasts, Battle and Beasts 2, one of the Festive sets, and Greek Mythology skin packs are unlocked, with the others showing the locked icon (which I'm guessing will be purchaseable ones)
The guy from the one review site in the other thread mentioned that there's a Marvel set that seems to be purchaseable...but I haven't seen any pics. There's also some other ones that I don't see like the Doctor Who ones.

Map wise, I'm assuming the City, Natural and Medieval map skins will be available like the Wii U..and obviously the Mario one. But that's the biggest problem, is that I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything about the stuff the game has besides Mario skins.

Do you need some kinda account to play online? I remember a thread a few days ago about bad luck with accounts. I believe thats pc only and not on Switch but I'm not sure.

Can you choose where music starts and stops when creating? The videos I've seen it seems like music plays at random.

When creating, can you make it so blocks can't be destroyed for a more linear map?

And I'm pretty sure it does but just to make sure: You can play anyone's other creations online and play online with randoms right?

Sorry for all the questions. Despite Minecraft being so popular its oddly hard to find specifics.

You can play online now for free, but Nintendo is doing something with online stuff in the fall. Since there's no voice chat online, I recommend getting Hangouts or something similar to use.

No music controls, its just one long continuous soundtrack, although there's jukeboxes you can craft to change the music. I usually turn the music down or off.

If you're doing creative mode, you can put blocks down anywhere and kind of make your own map, especially on a "Superflat" world (where there's one solid block base). In Adventure mode you can make it so you can't break blocks, but that's mainly if you're showing it off to someone.

And yep, you can play on anyone on your friend's list's world in their choosing of mode. For instance, if someone makes a Creative World, and you go and play, they can convert you to Survival while they remain in Creative, allowing a sort of "dungeon master" scenario.

Achievements were in the Wii U version. They basically activate after doing something in survival mode (like...i think one was taming 5 wolves or something). They're more "in game achievements" than anything system based.

tsundoku

i own one fifteen dollar code for minecraft for when the game almost had a reasonable price

stop buying minecraft jesus

SFenton

Also, when do Switch games go live? Love that XB1 games go live at 9 PM PST. Got a flight in the morning but it would be cool to download this beforehand!

Holy shit, I legit had no idea this was coming out tomorrow.

When I got my launch Switch, I was thinking that there would be a drought of games after Zelda. Now there's four games that I'll eventually own (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Minecraft, and later Disgaea 5) released in roughly a one-month period from each other.

Mael

No worries at all. So after messing with the menus, it looks like you can select and navigate the crafting screen, but you can't click to craft or drag items to sort inventory. It's a weird implementation, but I suppose it's a start.

Hope that helps!

Ok, thanks for the info.
Now we just need to bug them in the official forum for a proper implementation....

Ninja Dom

Gonna get this as soon as this is available in the UK.

My first time with Minecraft. I'm not even sure how to play it properly yet.

Vidiot

I can see the appeal, but I don't have the time or creativity to get the most out of a game like this. Like, for as cool as Mario Maker was I found creating levels boring as shit.

I can see the appeal, but I don't have the time or creativity to get the most out of a game like this. Like, for as cool as Mario Maker was I found creating levels boring as shit.
Have you heard of survival mode? No creativity required, and a great timesink. I'd at least recommend looking into it, it's the only reason I touch Minecraft.

Top Bottom