• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo 64 Appreciation/Collecting/Emulation Thread.

Tadale

I was going to suggest that people check out the Hori mini pad for replaying N64 games, but it seems like I might have been beaten to it. Literally all three of my original controllers are unusable – the things were garbage in terms of reliability.

D-e-f-

Banned
Nooooo!!!

I was gonna make this thread a few weeks ago but then completely forgot about :(

Anyway, thanks for making an awesome thread, OP :)

Here's my goodies that I photographed along with my other crap a while ago:

2482550-n64games.jpg

I love how I bought Mario Kart 64 off of eBay last week, it came in the mail, I popped it in, and within a matter of seconds my son and I were blasting off red shells and having a great time. Those days are long gone. Long Live the retro consoles.

Seik

Banned
Each console deserves their own. Enjoy ;)

n64avatarbadge--xxl2myps.png

Pre-resized versions

n64avatarbadge--smb8yfr.png

n64avatarbadge--mahxw3.png

Added to OP, great work man! :D

Another subscribed thread!

Guys I just bought a shinny N64, but I am kind worried about those cardboxes. How to protected them? Is there any kind of (cheap) plastic shell or bag that I should use to protected the games?

I didn't buy those yet, but I heard good things about them on Nintendoage. It's just that if I pull the trigger for those I'll need to order for like 75$ worth of plastic boxes. XD

http://www.videogameboxprotectors.com/

RM8

I need to re-build my N64 collection - I lost a ton of games when I moved to another city like 13 years ago :( It still hurts. Some months ago I bought Goemon's Great Adventure, it's pretty fun :p Also, this is my controller of choice:

It's perfect. The stick is perfect, everything is perfect. I really can't go back to the original one, I need to buy more of those (but they can get a bit expensive).

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I need to finish off my N64 collection, which currently consists of:

F-Zero X
Super Mario 64

Yeah. Well, actually, I have a lot more carts than that, but it's mostly garbage like Fighter's Destiny or stuff that's gotten superior ports to other systems (Star Fox, OOT, et. al.)

My list of stuff to get is:

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Mischief Makers
Ogre Battle 64
Paper Mario
Sin & Punishment

Really hated this system at the time. It was the first system I ever bought at launch (I was 8 at the time), and I thought the thing was awesome at first... but I quickly realized that there was pretty much nothing worth playing on the system. Meanwhile, I saw the PS1 getting tons of fighting games, and fighters were my favorite genre at the time. I rented Dark Rift a few times to sate my need for violence. Didn't work (what an awful game that was.) Bought Fighter's Destiny, which wasn't the worst game in the world, but definitely wasn't Tekken 2. And then I tried to convince myself that Banjo Kazooie and Diddy Kong Racing were fun. But in September '98, I bought a PS1, and apart from OOT and F-Zero, basically never played the N64 again.

So it's kinda weird looking back at the thing now. There were a few really good games on there that can justify owning the thing now. But man... I hated this system back in 'the day.'

Vexxan

Wish the Hori mini pads had a bit more resistance in the stick, it's almost too easy to move around compared to say a 360 controller where you gotta put some force in to move the stick.

Seik

Banned
One of my favorite N64 games has always been Super Robot Spirits. It is a rather clunky fighter, but there is something about it that makes me love it. It has a fairly lengthy single player mode and the bosses are awesome. I also like the crispness to the flat-shaded polygons. I doubt many others here have played it, but it is an import worth tracking down. Very easy to play w/o understanding Japanese as well.

Gameplay- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6RBSQe0d7U

Also, How can you not dig fighting to catchy tunes like this...

Dancougar Buring Love- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj_ocQtxq9Q

Dat 90's anime feel. Guess what...I just made an offer to someone on Ebay for a copy because of you! XD

Follow-up --->I won! :D

11psDuM.png

Not the best console i had but the most fun and memorable, until Wii & DS came along.

Games i owned:

Super Mario 64
GoldenEye
World Driver Championship
Perfect Dark
F Zero X
WaveRace 64
F1 World Gran Prix 1 & 2
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
Turok 1
Turok 2
Diddy Kong Racing
Jet Force Gemini
Donkey Kong 64
StarFox 64 (aka Lylatwars)
Mario Kart 64
Blast Corps
Castlevania 64
Banjo Kazooie
1080 Snowboarding
International Superstar Soccer 64
Mortal Kombat 4
Fighter's Destiny
Star Wars ep.1 Pod Racer
Quake II 64
Wipeout 64
Yoshi's Story
Pokemon Stadium 2
Pilotwings 64

Btw, N64 Magazine oh the memories.... I still have about 40 issues or so.
Absolutely hilarious humor, honest reviews, amazing features... Those were the days indeed.

More great games that i later appreciated via emulation:

Conker
Banjo Tooie
Extreme G
Duke Nukem Zero Hour
Doom 64
Excitebike 64
Rush 2049
San Fransisco Rush 2
BattleTanx 2
Forsaken 64
Sin & Punishment
Micro Machines
Shadowman
Rally Challenge 2000
Rayman 2
Mischief Makers
ISS 98
Ogre Battle 64
Toy Story 2
Winback
Vigilante 8 2nd Offence
Turok 3
Beetle Adventure Racing
Top Gear Rally 1 & 2
Paper Mario 64
Smash Brothers
Mystical Ninja Goemon
Donald Duck - Goin' Quackers
007 The World is Not Enough

Mory Dunz

It's almost annoying that Pokemon Stadium and Stadium 2 haven't been topped after all these years.

(Colloseum, XD: Gale of Darkness, and Battle Revolution were all terrible.)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BTW this is the only retro console to me amongst every other system that has no appeal to me looking back on it.

Let me try to remember what I liked about this system.
I own one, of course, and have quite a few games but I kind of feel the same way. It just doesn't hold the same appeal simply because most games are ugly 3D with low framerates. At least PSX and Saturn have tons of 2D games or titles with higher framerates that hold up today. Most N64 games just feel overly dated and the video output is rather poor.

Mory Dunz

I own one, of course, and have quite a few games but I kind of feel the same way. It just doesn't hold the same appeal simply because most games are ugly 3D with low framerates. At least PSX and Saturn have tons of 2D games or titles with higher framerates that hold up today. Most N64 games just feel overly dated and the video output is rather poor.

I feel that Paper Mario holds up well and is still fun, having played it recently.

The feels, man...

I remember those happy days, going to the second-hand shop, deciding which game to buy just by looking at the cart (boxed games were more expensive). Getting up to pee at 2AM and seeing my father beating his way through Mario Golf. Printing all the GoldenEye buttons codes and unlocking everything (it was my first FPS, damnit). Trying to unlock all characters on SSB. Futile attemps at pulling that damn 1080 spin.

OH FUCK IT, I'm going on a N64 binge. Damn you, GAF!

Grizzo

My favorite gaming system ever. I have many games and I still play them to this day. Also, I got my eyes on one of these Hori Pad mini.

pGsNdgr.jpg

They look amazing. I might be getting one pretty soon.

Edit :

I need to re-build my N64 collection - I lost a ton of games when I moved to another city like 13 years ago :( It still hurts. Some months ago I bought Goemon's Great Adventure, it's pretty fun :p Also, this is my controller of choice:

It's perfect. The stick is perfect, everything is perfect. I really can't go back to the original one, I need to buy more of those (but they can get a bit expensive).

Oh, I didn't see your post ! Well after reading it, I'm craving it even more. :D

Celine

I just wanted to expand on this thought a bit, and while it's going to sound contradictory, I actually think the game deserved the fate it got. It's a great game for sure, but at the time retro-gaming was but a glint to most people, everyone had moved on to a new frontier in graphics, the game should have attempted 3D models. When you have "64" stuck to a title you expected polygons, at least I did.

Looking at it now a decade or so later it's easy to appreciate it, but I think it's important to remember the time it was released, the expectations people had, we shouldn't be so lenient towards the game if we look at it as a Nintendo 64 game. But as a Doom game, as a Doom game we can appreciate it on the appropriate level, if that makes sense.
I do understand (it wasn't a jab at you).
Just think how long it took Nintendo to revive 2D Super Mario Bros series.

On the topic of Doom 64:

It wasn't an amazing game IMO, below par compared to Turok let alone Goldeneye. Like another poster above me said, the graphics weren't really fitting of the expectations on the N64, and when you had games like Quake making decent ports across then i think Doom 64 fell behind fast.

Though the intro sequence remains one of my favourites - definitely check this out if you aren't familiar with it.
IMO Doom 64 aged better than Turok or Goldeneye.

Kandinsky

I wish I took care of my games like some you, and I'm not even talking about boxes but cartridges as well, I feel bad now D:

legacyzero

Banned
That long day of playing Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon because I didn't have a memory pak, and couldn't save my game :(

IrishNinja

speaking of, is there a general way to see what's on your memory pak? i forget how to view it, just been checking on a per-game basis with this used one

1upmuffin

I love N64, it was the first home console in our house. It was my sisters console and we played a ton of Mario Party and Mario Kart. The first game given to me for the N64 was Super Smash Brothers and it is still one of my favorite and most played games of all time. So much fun was had with that game alone.

This year I returned to N64, playing through Majora's Mask and Paper Mario for the first times. Both games were amazing.

legacyzero

Banned
Those awesome memories of trying to speed through levels in Goldeneye to try and unlock cheats.

Fuck you Dr. Doak. FUCK YOUUUUUU

IrishNinja

^shiiiiiit was just looking at Smash Bros to sort out unlocking the other characters, totally forgot all the work i put into my old goldeneye OO mode to unlock shit, never did get the last stage or two...no way im doing all that again, dammit

I believe you hold down start while turning on the console.

ah, totally forgot...worked with mario kart, thanks

now i just gotta figure out what l s s s 64 is, heh

Psykotik

My favorite gaming system ever. I have many games and I still play them to this day. Also, I got my eyes on one of these Hori Pad mini.

pGsNdgr.jpg

They look amazing. I might be getting one pretty soon.

what the. this is the first time i've ever seen one of these.

*goes to ebay to check prices*

wtf! so expensive!

Cody_D165

Banned
I must be one of the few people who had no gripes with the standard 64 pad. All of mine still work (except the one control stick I lost to Mario Party all those years ago).

kunonabi

When I started making my top 50 games of all time list I realized something funny. There weren't a ton of n64 games to pick from but all of them were some of my favorite games. It really was quality over quantity for me.

The World is Not Enough
Bomberman 64
Castlevania
Fighter's Destiny 2
Goldeneye
Hybrid Heaven
Mischief Makers
Mystical Ninja
Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
All those great wrestling games

I could seriously have nothing but an N64 and be pretty damn set for a good while.

illadelph

I was there, Japanese launch day fucking ONE!!!

My personal highlights?? SHINDO SUPER MARIO 64, SIGNED BY SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IN 1999 IN BALL POINT PEN!!!

null_zpsacb219fb.jpg

dude I love the art for early N64 stuff, like in this Mario still has some character and doesn't feel overly generic

Coreda

My favorite racing game for the N64 will always be Rush 2049. Man, the stunt mode is so much fun.

Such a fun game, love the concept of pull-out wings for gliding. There was a game a few years back called Nitronic Rush, which included a recreated 2049 level, the whole thing is like tribute. You might have heard about it's sequel Distance. Looks amazing. Cliffyb and an original 2049 dev approved their original Kickstarter.

Also the protective cases for your collection look great :)

GulAtiCa

Such a fun game, love the concept of pull-out wings for gliding. There was a game a few years back called Nitronic Rush, which included a recreated 2049 level, the whole thing is like tribute. You might have heard about it's sequel Distance. Looks amazing. Cliffyb and an original 2049 dev approved their original Kickstarter.

Also the protective cases for your collection look great :)

Never heard of Nitronic Rush, though looks fun. But yeah, when I saw a video of Distance, I instantly thought of Rush 2049.

Been playing a lot of this system lately. Only have 20 games but I'm slowly getting more. Carts only for the most part (as I do with anything that came in a box originally). I wouldn't mind a sealed Majora's Mask one day.

Recently finished Conker's Bad Fur Day and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon which were both fantastic and funny games in extremely different ways.

I've got a lot of other games to go through. Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps (hey look all Rare), Turok, and Body Harvest all waiting to be played.

Currently playing some Space Station Silicon Valley, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, and Banjo-Kazooie (revisit from my childhood, wonderful game).

The N64 has really grown on me. Might be my favorite system at this point.

Katzii

The official ones are the best ones. The only problem is that they also have a battery to hold the save. So eventually they will lose the save files, although it can take many years. That's probably what happened to yours.

Ah, okay - am I able to replace the battery in it?

Seik

Banned
Ah, okay - am I able to replace the battery in it?

If it's like SNES cartridges, because I never opened an N64 controller, it's just a minor solder job.

EDIT: No it's easy as hell.

Double EDIT: Might not be after all, after further searches I learned that there's memory cards that have the battery soldered after all. That video I posted was about a third party memory card. :/

The official ones are the best ones. The only problem is that they also have a battery to hold the save. So eventually they will lose the save files, although it can take many years. That's probably what happened to yours.
Actually, I've had just as good luck with Performance-brand memory cards as I have Nintendo, provided that you ONLY stick to the 1x Performance cards, and not their awful compressed 4x cards. The 1x Performance cards are also very easy to change batteries in, much easier than for Nintendo cards -- they use normal Phillips screws, and have battery clips inside, so no solder or special screwdriver bits are required to replace the battery. Pretty awesome.

In comparison, first party Nintendo memory cards DO have the battery welded down. You need to do the same procedure that you do for SNES or NES games to fix those. I have several Nintendo-brand N64 controller paks with dead batteries, but there's nothing I can do about them right now, unlike the Performance ones where I just replace the battery after getting the pak.

lingiii

Banned
In a couple days, this thread will settle down into what matters: talkin' 'bout Ogre Battle 64 ALL DAY ERRY DAY.

God I fucking miss that pre-rendered kinda look the 64 rocked. Person of Lordly Caliber and Harvest Moon 64 both just killed an aesthetic nothing even resembles today.

Just look at that Ankiseth:

gfs_15861_2_11.jpg

SuomiDude

I asked this in another thread, but is there a place to check what my games are worth. Like a general list, no ebay or amazon or such places. I "gave" most of my N64 games to a friend of mine, but we haven't agreed on any price yet. I'm not sure if any of these games are considered rare now a days, so I'm wondering if 15-20€ is a good price for each game. Here's the games I "gave" him: Zelda OoT, Majora's Mask, Turok 1, 2, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Banjo Tooie. All games (PAL versions) have the original box, manual and are in good condition.

IrishNinja

man, i keep meaning to post on NintendoAge and see if anyone there has that one (or maybe Conker) & would trade for some NES classics

Top Bottom