• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart (Prevention Loss), the schadenfreude is delicious!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Worked over 10 years in retail, that AP dude fucked up. He probably use to people getting all nervous and obeying him when he questions them lol.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
These threads always blow my mind. No one is checking my bags after I pay at a register outside of private memberhsip clubs like costco. If they do, I am returning my goods and never shopping their again. Stop rolling over for businesses.

Rajack

I work as a customer host at a Walmart, and we are legitimately part of Asset Protection. The Asset Protection Associates are specifically licensed and trained to make apprehensions and have a specific set of rules they have to follow when apprehending shoplifters and making stops.
Conversely Customer Hosts are trained to check receipts for unbagged items, high value items, and items on the bottom of the shopping cart. We are also trained in maintaining compliance with the Merchandise Protection Plan and have received training in identifying suspicious behavior with customers.
The APAs are the eyes above, and we are the eyes on the floor. Additional responsibilities we handle are express return and associate baggage checks to curtail associate theft. We also maintain spill stations and keep the front end and vestibule safe during inclement weather. You'll always hear about the incompetent or bad APAs, but you'll never hear about the good ones and that's the point, they're intended to be invisible.

Jombie

I worked at Walmart and these employees are always the most insufferable and take their jobs way too seriously. It's also seriously irresponsible for any business to encourage an employee confront a shoplifter; they can be attacked and their only line of defense is a laminated badge.

Rajack

I worked at Walmart and these employees are always the most insufferable and take their jobs way too seriously. It's also seriously irresponsible for any business to encourage an employee confront a shoplifter; they can be attacked and their only line of defense is a laminated badge.

That's an awfully misinformed position you have there. You should consider that Walmart's shoplifter apprehension policy is one of the least aggressive in the industry. There's a whole laundry list of rules and regulations that APAs have to abide by.

Jombie

That's an awfully misinformed position you have there. You should consider that Walmart's shoplifter apprehension policy is one of the least aggressive in the industry. There's a whole laundry list of rules and regulations that APAs have to abide by.

I'm not misinformed, I've seen it. At more than one store, but this was a dozen years ago.

sonto340

this shit can fuck riiiight off.

Everyone that comes in is a potential criminal?

do you walk around public spaces going from cover to cover cause everyone is a potential murderer?
Cool. Hope you open a store so I can just shove a bunch of shit in my bag since checking my bag would be unethical and all 🙄

I worked at Watmart, and was told about how these people would stalk those that they thought who stole, and I always thought it was strange how they'd confront instead of just reporting to authorities with their camera footage and accounts of the stuff stolen they saw stolen.
Yeah, when I worked retail they told us to never confront the customer directly because of situations like this.

Cool. Hope you open a store so I can just shove a bunch of shit in my bag since checking my bag would be unethical and all 🙄

It's a stupid, pointless, ineffectual policy, and this video (and others like it all over the internet) highlights why. If someone buys something, thus taking ownership of it, proceed to walk out of the store and are stopped by AP asking them to open up their bag and show their receipt, and said person refuses, what the fuck are they going to do? Detain them? Grab their property? Put your hands on them? Refuse to let them leave the store? Call the police? There is no legal recourse here for WalMart and these rent-a-cops.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Back in the real world, the biggest problem the store would face is Walmart's anti-competitive business practices, not a shoplifting supervillain from NeoGAF.

Where are the checkouts that make it so another person needs to check the store's receipt? Like, are they in the middle of the store? There are some shops like that here but is it more widespread in the US?

It's a stupid, pointless, ineffectual policy, and this video (and others like it all over the internet) highlights why. If someone buys something, thus taking ownership of it, proceed to walk out of the store and are stopped by AP asking them to open up their bag and show their receipt, and said person refuses, what the fuck are they going to do? Detain them? Grab their property? Put your hands on them? Refuse to let them leave the store? Call the police? There is no legal recourse here for WalMart and these rent-a-cops.
Law differ in different places. Check the law for your region. Here:

People can be banned from a store for not following clearly posted conditions of entry.

The police can be called.

People can be detained until police arrive only if there is an absolute belief that they have stolen something. It is false imprisonment if this is wrong.

IISANDERII

Uh oh you done did it now.

I remember a thread where people said you should just submit.

Fuck Walmart. They get immense profits and shit on poor people all the time. One of them is close and they 'selectively' check receipts. It feels so terrible. Their policy is to check receipts on anything that doesn't fit in a bag. I ended up returning a car seat just because of the check. They gave me all excuses about how other people steal and 'a lot of people around here steal'. It was a slimy dog whistle conversation about why i should feel okay with selective checking.

I still feel like shit when they do it and Amazon is still a factor.

In the death of American physical retail, we haven't talked enough about the mechanisms for loss protection and all the other slimy things managers do. I can't say much about the long term effects but i can tell you about the effects of current policies. It leaves a bad taste and I'm down with the new economy.

I love Uber and cab drivers acting like victims after they have left black people on the corner for decades. I love Amazon and not having to deal with obvious losers who can't apologize after a clear mistake. Soon, someone will deliver a restaurant experience to my door and i can stop eating at these restaurants with a shit eating grin, terrible service to people they "think" won't give them a good tip. But when a recession hits, they stand outside the door, begging for people to walk in or look at the menu.
Good post

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Well for one she is telling him to fuck off a bunch. Arguments like that can actually get people into trouble if you are being super precise and law drunk. No one actually does anything about that really, but you can find laws that are being broken there.

You can tell a cop to fuck off as many times as you want, at least in my state, assuming that they're not exceptionally corrupt.
Some pissant on a power trip at Walmart? lol

Top Bottom