• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Would it be wrong of me to say if it hits the US, it should just go thru the already fucked up part of texas.

slit

As per the latest NHC discussion, it's heading into an area with warm water and moist air (both of which hurricanes draw energy from) and low wind sheer (which means there isn't any high level winds acting against the internal processes of the storm). All points to further strengthening over the next 48 hours.

Whether it gets up to Category 5 or not is still up in the air, right now it's a weak category 4.

Literally.

MrNelson

Banned
Would it be wrong of me to say if it hits the US, it should just go thru the already fucked up part of texas.
It absolutely would.

"Hey, I hope you people that had your homes and lives destroyed by that storm get fucked super hard by this next storm while you're trying to pick up the pieces"

Zonar

Just one of those things. People out west deal with wildfires and quakes, the Midwest has tornadoes, northern areas have blizzards, we have hurricanes/flooding. Nearly everyone has something to worry about.

I'm so happy to be here in Arizona. As far as I can tell we don't have much.
Outside of the CRAZY FUCKING 100+ degree weather

true, i always forget that - personally i always enjoy central FL when i'm out that way, good people
northern FL can go live out its fantasies & find a south that will have em though

I agree.

I tend to ignore northern FL altogether. Anything above Orlando is a no go from me.

Slayven

Yeah if I was in the north east or midwest i would start stocking up on shit, i got a feeling mother nature is going to show her ass this winter too

My family started planning today. I have to be at work during the hurricane for safety reasons. May have my family head north to some other family up there.

ahoyle77

Was just reading there are a couple of unreliable models that have this thing at below 900mb. Even some reliable ones at 920-930. If any of those are accurate it's going to be really bad wherever it hits.

TaterTots

Banned
I'm really glad I do not live in a coastal state. The last truly bad weather I experienced was in the early 90's with a blizzard and a tornado. Having to deal with hurricanes and shit every year would be really stressful. Stay safe FL and I hope it doesn't get bad.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Florida already declared and our governor in the Virgin Islands hasn't done so yet and we are less than 48hrs from impact. Ugh.

Dr. Worm

Banned
I'm in central Florida right now. Pretty far inland, though it's been thunderstorming all week.

Hope we don't eat it too badly.

People acted so much faster than usual in Miami.

Water is sold out in the couple places I went to.

I feel like with everyone's eyes on Texas, people aren't going to hesitate with hurricane preparation for a bit. You don't watch that devastation and then pretend like a hurricane is nothing to be concerned about.

Wood Man

We beat the rush and went out Friday to stock up on food, water etc. My mom went to a Wal-Mart on Saturday and they were all out.

This thing looks nasty and I'm not liking these models.

It's the 25th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew. Unfortunately, it's old enough that some of my students here in South Florida don't take hurricanes that seriously. Thankfully the older one who were around for Wilma are more serious about it.

Anyone who remembers Andrew knows just how utterly devastating hurricanes can be. The only positive of Andrew is that it woke up South Florida and got them to take hurricanes even more seriously. Knock on wood, South Florida should be able to handle this better than Andrew. But I'm only considering my area of South Florida; I don't know about the other parts...

As bad as hurricanes are, at least we're capable of seeing them coming days ahead of time. I'd hate to be in an area where massive earthquakes can occur at the drop of a hat
I'll be safe for this storm (if it hits), but I'm worrying about coming back to a flooded home. I also have to worry about the plywood covering my windows breaking and the two trees in front of my house falling on top of it. Thank goodness that I live alone and that I can rely on family that live five minutes away in case the worst happens.

If it hits Miami it will be hurricane number 9 for me. The flooding is gonna be insane on south beach. It floods just when it rains lightly. Fuck

Top Bottom