• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

cordy

Banned
Planned on visiting family in South Carolina next weekend, I hope it doesn't get fucked up if that's the case. Damn this storm is looking nasty as fuck.

Lkr

Does red mean more likely?
I think red is just the middle point of the tracks but I'm not sure on that graph. Tbh nothing past the Caribbean is "likely", anything can happen at any time with these things. For all we know it could completely miss Florida at this point.

Also, if what reports on the Weather Channel are saying, at least in terms of Hurricane's directional movement, if the core where to stay betwix the Bahama's islands and Cuba seas -- will it still retain it's Cat 5 strength?

Lkr

It's a real thing people have a right and expectation to be concerned about. So, whatever.
Every other thread on neogaf: Florida was a mistake, bugsbunny.gif, etc
Hurricane thread: how dare you people ask legitimate questions about how safe it will be there, have some empathy!

Is it Opposite Day on gaf? Fwiw Floridians don't give a fuck. We go through this shit every year. Please please please keep an eye on your vacation plans and monitor the storm. We don't need an influx of tourists during a natural disaster.

lightus

Yeah but you can cancel your vacation. I can't cancel living here.

Sure, that's why people are asking if they should cancel their vacation.

I understand where you are coming from as I live in Florida too but most of the people asking haven't experienced hurricanes before and probably legitimately don't know if they'll be okay coming down or not.

I just think the juxtaposition of GAF is funny.

GAF, I got a slight papercut - GO SEE A DOCTOR

GAF, should I fly directly into a Category 5 hurricane?

sflufan

Banned
Red line might be better for Florida than some of the black ones as a Cuba landfall may take the edge off. Bad for Cuba though!

True, it would take the edge off, but it would also expose the well-populated Gulf Coast areas like Tampa/St.Pete/Sarasota, etc. to the more destructive northeast quadrant of the storm.

Lkr

I just think the juxtaposition of GAF is funny.

GAF, I got a slight papercut - GO SEE A DOCTOR

GAF, should I fly directly into a Category 5 hurricane?
You would be surprised how little people that don't live in a hurricane zone know about hurricanes. Unless you've lived in other states, I highly doubt you know much about blizzards or something.

Zee-Row

Banned
I’m in Tampa , if it comes I have no intention of leaving. The way I see things , if I lose my house I’d rather be dead anyway.

Ok, nobody has implied that. But storms like these affect tons of people in varying ways. Obviously those that live there the most. And I'm not sure if you're new to the US, but the vacation situation is trash. So it isn't always simple just canceling. It's perfectly valid for people to ask questions and wonder about their options - even if they don't live there. Not all parts of FL will face the same effects more than likely and decisions will likely come down to the wire for many people.

Every other thread on neogaf: Florida was a mistake, bugsbunny.gif, etc
Hurricane thread: how dare you people ask legitimate questions about how safe it will be there, have some empathy!

Is it Opposite Day on gaf? Fwiw Floridians don't give a fuck. We go through this shit every year. Please please please keep an eye on your vacation plans and monitor the storm. We don't need an influx of tourists during a natural disaster.

I'm from Florida, I am well aware. I've been through hurricanes - Francis and Jeane more specifically. I've bitched a lot about that type of stuff here on GAF to no avail. But unless you can show that posters in here asking about vacations or other issues are also the ones talking about sawing off Florida, I'm not sure what the point of bringing that up is.

So politics are off-limits. Even though that's a direct effect on what happens locally usually. And now people asking about future plans are off-limits. Anything else?

You can get out, at least. It's looking like it's going to cut from the bottom up and gut all of Florida that missed Matthew last year...so I'd explore my options, there.

For my part, again, I'm going to try to get my hands on more water and food before it hits. Bread is right out, go for things that can be eaten out of a can without power. Then I'll likely go 50-27-441-92 for people that need shelter, before, and after the storm.

I just bought this house. Havent even had a chance to break anything in it yet.

Edit: I'm more concerned right now for visitors and vacationers than floridians. We know how to get out of here. Some dont even have an option except for an unscheduled flight. Leave the tourist alone.

Lkr

Ok, nobody has implied that. But storms like these affect tons of people in varying ways. Obviously those that live there the most. And I'm not sure if you're new to the US, but the vacation situation is trash. So it isn't always simple just canceling. It's perfectly valid for people to ask questions and wonder about their options - even if they don't live there. Not all parts of FL will face the same effects more than likely and decisions will likely come down to the wire for many people.

I'm from Florida, I am well aware. I've been through hurricanes - Francis and Jeane more specifically. I've bitched a lot about that type of stuff here on GAF to no avail. But unless you can show that posters in here asking about vacations or other issues are also the ones talking about sawing off Florida, I'm not sure what the point of bringing that up is.

So politics are off-limits. Even though that's a direct effect on what happens locally usually. And now people asking about future plans are off-limits. Anything else?
I think I might have quoted the wrong post lol, I wasn't trying to disagree with you.
I only brought up the bugs bunny gif because usually no one on here gives a fuck about Florida or its residents but then there's a hurricane and people might offend floridans by asking questions about the danger of the storm. Hurricane threads on here get weird idk man.
go knights btw and are you interested in a sidebet on how long it takes ucf to shut down? They waited until the last second last year with Matthew

My first year in Orlando was 2004, after that I'm numb to this shit. If we get hit, so be it, can't prevent it

geomon

I mean will there be a blue shed nearby?

6ff62ee3b49f447900e6b87914926a7d924e0829f4e899d66960744fd13b6858.jpg

You can get out, at least. It's looking like it's going to cut from the bottom up and gut all of Florida that missed Matthew last year...so I'd explore my options, there.

For my part, again, I'm going to try to get my hands on more water and food before it hits. Bread is right out, go for things that can be eaten out of a can without power. Then I'll likely go 50-27-441-92 for people that need shelter, before, and after the storm.

There's literally no where I can go except out of state and I don't have the money for that.

Lkr

There's literally no where I can go except out of state and I don't have the money for that.
Yep people think "just leaving" is easier than it really is. I have friends that have offered to let me stay with them out of state if needed, but am I supposed to just leave my entire family behind?

scitek

Christ this thing's a beast. I hope all of you in Florida are able to stay safe. I lived through Andrew in Louisiana as a kid and have avoided living in storm-prone areas as an adult because of that experience.

I think I might have quoted the wrong post lol, I wasn't trying to disagree with you.
I only brought up the bugs bunny gif because usually no one on here gives a fuck about Florida or its residents but then there's a hurricane and people might offend floridans by asking questions about the danger of the storm. Hurricane threads on here get weird idk man.
go knights btw and are you interested in a sidebet on how long it takes ucf to shut down? They waited until the last second last year with Matthew

Yeah, I get it's stressful but I just think those questions are harmless. So if people don't like them, they can just ignore them. But that's just me.

As for the rest, I bet UCF waits until at least Saturday. There is actually a scheduled conference football game for Saturday night for Parent's Weekend. But I'm hearing it will be moved to Friday night. So I'd guess nothing will shut down until after that - putting it to sometime Saturday. The first higher winds likely would be felt by that Saturday night assuming most models hold true.

Shit.

Where are you located? Hunker down as best as you can. My area is gonna get the brunt of it at the median of the 06Z models, too, which is why I'll be out and about.

Lkr

Yeah, I get it's stressful but I just think those questions are harmless. So if people don't like them, they can just ignore them. But that's just me.

As for the rest, I bet they wait until at least Saturday. There is actually a scheduled conference football game for Saturday night for Parent's Weekend. But I'm hearing it will be moved to Friday night. So I'd guess nothing will shut down until after that - putting it to sometime Saturday. The first higher winds likely would be felt by that Saturday night assuming most models hold true.
Agreed that the questions are harmless, better safe than sorry.
I got an email about the football game today and they said they would make a decision about that by the end of the day. I think they should just postpone it since its family weekend and people will be trying to get to the campus from all over, not to mention the logistics of Memphis and their fans trying to get out

Bucs-Dolphins should probably be moved up or moved out as well. Be interesting to see how the new roof on Joe Robbie will hold up.

____

I live in Georgia, that shit is not that far off some days. Air be so thick you can chew it

GA heat/humidity definitely got FL beat. At least Miami. I lived in GA for like 6 months after living in Miami almost my entire life. I thought I was going to die.

I think it’s that ocean breeze we get.

Agreed that the questions are harmless, better safe than sorry.
I got an email about the football game today and they said they would make a decision about that by the end of the day. I think they should just postpone it since its family weekend and people will be trying to get to the campus from all over, not to mention the logistics of Memphis and their fans trying to get out

What'll likely happen is that game is moved to Friday and parent's weekend is just canceled. They probably went from a nearly sold out game on Saturday to less than 15k in the stands on Friday. That would still leave plenty of time for people to get to where they need to go after. Memphis players/staff would also have plenty of time to get out too.

One of those situations where it probably actually is better playing sooner than postponing. There isn't an opening the rest of the season to make it up and since it's a conference game, you probably can't easily skip it. Only good thing is both teams played last Thursday so they'd be on normal rest.

GA heat/humidity definitely got FL beat. At least Miami. I lived in GA for like 6 months after living in Miami almost my entire life. I thought I was going to die.

It is because the heat/humidity in central florida is ridiculous.

WillyFive

Yeah, GA is uninhabitable outdoors.

Top Bottom