• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony trying to trademark the term "Let's Play"?

Wulfram

You and everyone else in this thread are assuming maliciousness, as if they're going to retroactively file claims against anyone who uses the term... OR SOMETHING. (???)
You really think they would squander the goodwill they established over the past few years with a dumb move like that? Come on, you're smarter than that.

As I understand (I am not a lawyer) with trademarks you have to enforce them if you don't want to lose many of your rights. They're different from copyrights in that way.

As I understand (I am not a lawyer) with trademarks you have to enforce them if you don't want to lose many of your rights. They're different from copyrights in that way.

They can't retroactively do anything. As long as they use this as, say a tagline to an ad they're "enforcing it". Enforcing doesn't mean find everyone who's used the term and tell them to stop.

Fuchsdh

This seems like it makes sense, and would probably be my guess as well. And if that's the case, then cool, I see no issue with it.

It's still a douche move, as they have no moral right to assert any sort of ownership or TM rights over "let's play". They didn't come up with them, and it's a common term at this point. I don't see how you could trademark something that's already generic.

This seems fishy, even if their intent is to launch a service named like that.

I mean, it definitely does not sound ok to trademark a service with a slogan that's already used anywhere, just to force the competition to not use it.

Christof

Neo Member
They can't retroactively do anything. As long as they use this as, say a tagline to an ad they're "enforcing it". Enforcing doesn't mean find everyone who's used the term and tell them to stop.

Actually I am aware that companies enforce their brand names in the US press, if a reporter uses the word Kleenex when they actually meant the generic tissue paper they might get a letter from the company correcting them.

Johndoey

Banned
Pretty cringe but Sony has done worse.

Remember those stupid ass commercials with "Sony's own Kevin Butler"?

G0iYF6n.gif

Did ANYONE find those funny?
He helped revitalize the brand.

magnetic

The term originated on the SomethingAwful forums, right?
I believe those were just threads with screenshots and text at first, not videos - even before YouTube if I remember correctly.

FYI, the USPTO sent Sony a non-final action on Dec. 29 about the filing, and those get sent out if there's a problem with the trademark filing.

They usually have 6 months (until June 29 in this case) to respond to the action before the trademark is considered abandoned.

I wonder if the examiner for the trademark sent the letter to Sony because they felt it was too broad a claim and it wouldn't hold up in court as is.

Boke1879

This could literally be anything. We do need more info but I think the first page is filled with gross overreaction.

Didn't Lucas trademark the word "Droid"?

This is probably more of a marketing thing. Makes it so MS and Nintendo can't use a widely used and recognized term while talking about there own consoles and services.

This will probably have 0 impact on anyone else.

arhra

If the trademark office is going it's job correctly, this wouldn't even be granted in the first place.

You can't register exclusive rights for a generic term, which "Let's Play" very clearly is in the category in question.

Could be part of a new ad campaign?

Nah dude, it's clearly a malicious attempt to cash in on YouTube Lets Plays! Arrogant Sony is back! /s

Sounds like it's just a tagline (This is for the players/It only does everything/Jump in etc.), rather than them trying to claim the term in the way it is used for videos.

It's so obvious that this is what it is to me. Why would they piss of the YouTubers that are currently giving them free marketing? They would grab the trademark and only enforce it on Microsoft or Nintendo if they used it as a tagine in a commercial.

Tigress

You know what, I don't think Sony did this maliciously. They probably were doing it for an ad campaign. They may not have even thought about the fact that it was already used a lot in gaming communities as they had their mind on it being for an ad campaign. I suppose though that makes for bad lawyers if they aren't considering all angles. Maybe they didn't think the gaming community would be upset as they had in mind different reasons and didn't think about how it would look to the gaming community.

I just have a really hard time thinking they are that stupid that they would purposely try to take the phrase away from a common usage among gamers when gamers are their main market.

Then again, I also thought MS wasn't *that* dumb to make an online only console the first time rumors went around about it (that was a year before xbox one came out. It's still amazing MS went through with it cause even at vague rumors people were getting upset so it should have told MS how well that would go over). So... I have been known to overestimate how intelligent companies can be sometimes about the market they cater to.

JP

It reads like it's the name of a service, nothing about this suggests that there's going to be issues for people using those words, unless of course there used as a business or service name and it's going to cause confusion about whether it's this service or not.

It's similar to Sky copyrighting the title Sky Sports. That doesn't mean they own the two words but it does prevent people using the regstered name for their own use.

Mindwipe

The amount of people in here overreacting without the slightest knowledge of copyright law...

Relax guys. Sony's not about to steal a part of your vocabulary.

Did you just say this while getting copyright and trademarks mixed up?

They do have to defend it becoming a generic term if they were to hope to protect it. It would be problematic. But if the Trademark Office is doing their job in the slightest then they'll knock it back.

kyser73

This'll be the equivalent of Just Do It - any other sportswear manufacturers can't use it, and I would guess it can't be used in relation to sports & sporting events - but a DIY chain could still use it.

My guess is they Somy will have to be really specific with the context that infringement has taken place.

Elitist1945

I took that as they want to have it as a slogan similar to "Long Live Play" on ads and stuff. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Top Bottom