• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLOW |OT| The highest rated wrestling program on television - Netflix June 23rd

JDMC13

Episode 8:
I was holding it together during the Doctor's office scene until she said, "I'm a wrestler," then I lost it. I lost it real bad. It was an ugly cry.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Spoiler Ep5
when Liberty Belle finally understands the soap opera aspect

Holy fucking shit

There's something hugely impactful about her personal circumstance and the match. They played the scene amazingly and the post scene

WatTsu

Finished the whole thing today. Pretty much had to.

It's really great overall. Loved the attention to detail and (as a wrestling fan) that they took it at least somewhat seriously - the cameos were great and I was so happy to see Kia Stevens in a pretty substantial role.

Late series spoilers:

The one thing I did not really care for is that it sort of felt like Debra's husband got off too easily - Ruth gets pretty much all the blame from the other characters and the show about the affair but it seems like he was the instigator. It takes two, after all. You could argue that's representative of the social patterns of the time but it bugged me all the same. Especially in light of the abortion episode (which was itself pretty great both for its directness and honesty as well as the dynamic between Ruth and Sam)

Anyway, I loved the show and the characters. No dead weight in the bunch. Hoping another season won't be far off - I'd love more half-hour comedies (dramedies?) on Netflix.

Just finished, The show was decent with a few standout episodes.I went in with a lot of hype so maybe my expectations were too high. Wanted to fall in love with the ensemble cast but most of them didn't that those revealing or emotional moments to pull me in. That might be the cost of doing 30 min episodes instead of hour long ones. The second half definitely was stronger than the first and by the end I was wanting more which is a promising sign for future seasons.

El-Suave

I wonder if there is/will be a corporate mandate in WWE to let their talent promote or ignore the show on social media.

Galang

Banned
In this for Alison Brie. Not sure what to expect even after the trailer, but plan to finish this by Sunday. Good to see positive impressions

Did they do something to Alison Brie for this other than no makeup? She looks skinner than normal.

Besides that, I really liked the pilot. Brought back so many memories from my childhood growing up watching GLOW on Saturday nights. And the ladies, hell everyone, is great on this show. Think I'll keep with it. Mel is my favorite so far.

Also has a lot more nudity than I was expecting from Brie.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
A man's true ball... is the mind.

120v

best netflix original since Stranger Things, imo

going to be a hit, i can feel it. hope it doesn't get driven to the ground like another female-centric netflix comedy i won't name

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Watched the first two episodes. Loving it so far. The music and hair game are on point.

I'm a huge fan of Marc Maron since his Air America days. I hope this show does well.

On a somewhat related note, is Maron a fan of prowrestling by any chance? I remember he would have Mick Foley on his old Air America radio show, and he did interview CM Punk shortly before he left WWE.

tribal24

Banned
And just watched all of it in a entire sitting wow their show was great. I use to be big into wrestling when I was younger definately played into the nostalgia factor for me and I remember watching glow before. The final episode
did Ruth really pre plan that whole story line or was it all improvised . I couldn't tell, I know they mentioned it to Sam but he had already known and flipped the script.

Spoiler Ep5
when Liberty Belle finally understands the soap opera aspect

Holy fucking shit

There's something hugely impactful about her personal circumstance and the match. They played the scene amazingly and the post scene
Yeah they played that incredibly well. I'm super blown away by how good this show is

gun_haver

I've watched the first 3 eps now. It's surprisingly funny. Marc Maron made me laugh hard once in episode 1 AND in episode 2 and I kind of don't like the guy, so he's doing some good work here. Alison Brie is also good.

I'm not really sold on the ensemble cast yet though, and I might never be. It feels to reminiscent of OITNB - everyone's got a 'funny' character trait and it is dangerously close to hokey in moments. I hope they don't start getting on my nerves and maybe even develop into good characters, at least a couple of them.

Ep 6:
I'm so glad that they showed that you can just work together as wrestlers without having to be best friends or forgive each other. Liberty should not forgive Ruth (and I hope she doesn't)

This show is very good

DeathyBoy

Banned
I like how they point out that
Sam's script
is stupidly complex and you gotta compromise that shit. If only that Russo mark in wrestle Gaf would realise that.

Anyway, up to ep 4. Really good show.

Joeku

Welp, never thought a show would ever do anything remotely decent with a
therian (or is it otherkin?)
character.

What a good thing this was as a whole. I hope it blows up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Aunty-Christ would be an amazing 80s horror movie name

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
5 down and yeah this is fucking fantastic.

Ravelle

It's exactly the right length.

Yeah, I'm not complaining. Netflix needs more of these shows I can watch in bed before going to sleep. With all these 50 minute shows I'm usually staring and scrolling at the list looking for something to watch, then turn it off because 30 minutes has passed and it's time for sleep.

Top Bottom