• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA |OT2| - Thread of Athletes, Fighters, Personalities, and Sports Entertainment

Heel

Sorry guys, but am I really saying anything crazy in here? Apparently calling Fedor the greatest heavyweight is trolling, and Dan Henderson is a scrub. I didn't get the memo.

I'm not going to let uninformed opinions rewrite the history of the sport I love.

TheNatural

My Member!
tass0 said:
Since 2005, Fedor has beaten around 4-5 Top 10 heavyweights.

He has around 10-13 overall Top 10 wins in his career.

How many do Cain and JDS have -combined-? 4? lol

Cain's best win is Zombie Nog (Fedor already destroyed a prime Nog twice), and JDS' best wins are Fabricio Werdum and old man Mirko (who gave JDS his toughest fight, too).

The rest of their wins are tomato cans, similar to Fedor record.

But yeah, lol

That's total horseshit, Fedor has not beaten any top 10 Heavyweights since 2005. I don't give a jack fuck what the rankings said *at the time* - the fact they've all been fighting in trash organizations with clusters of 4, 5 fight losing slumps shows they weren't top 10 heavyweights.

JDS beat Werdum, something Fedor couldn't do. They both beat Fedor's two best opponents in Big Nog and Cro Cop, not in their primes, but they can't help that. And it's not like they're all decrepit either, so that's no excuse, Nog and Fedor are 34, and Cro Cop is 36 - the same age as Anderson Silva. And all still way younger than Dan Henderson.

Lost in all this is they're not even that old, but Nog has done mediocre against UFC competition, Cro Cop has been destroyed by it, and Fedor got his ass kicked by two guys that Dana didn't even think were worth keeping around in the UFC.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
No should ever listen to French Hip-Hop.

Something we can finally agree on.

But it's impossible to discuss Fedor on the internet rationally, you have die hard supporters on one side, and the haters on the other. Just leave it be. There is no reason to continually beat a dead horse into the ground.

Sinatar said:
You let the troll make a trolling OP and you set the stage for a thread full of horseshit.

You don't even want to see the thread if I was trolling. I'm saving the good stuff for UFC 137. GSP fanboys are so vindictive.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
yacobod said:
You don't even want to see the thread if I was trolling. I'm saving the good stuff for UFC 137. GSP fanboys are so vindictive.
UFC 137: American vs French Hip-Hop

tass0

Banned
TheNatural said:
That's total horseshit, Fedor has not beaten any top 10 Heavyweights since 2005. I don't give a jack fuck what the rankings said *at the time* - the fact they've all been fighting in trash organizations with clusters of 4, 5 fight losing slumps shows they weren't top 10 heavyweights.

They're in the rankings for a reason.

Let's say JDS beats Velasquez, then Cain goes on a losing streak and leaves the Top 10.

Would you consider Cain a Top 10 win for JDS? Of course you would.

I don't see how this is any diffrent.

And Andrei Arlovski was ranked #2, the second best in the world, coming off a 5 fight winning streak (three UFC, two outside UFC) when Fedor KO'd him.

But hey, that win totally doesn't count as Top 10, even though he was #2, because Fedor cracked his chin and he loses all the time now lol.

yacobod said:
Something we can finally agree on.

We also agree that GSP has the best doubles and singles in MMA.

Can we make a pact to set each other to ignore during that card?

TheNatural

My Member!
tass0 said:

Let's say JDS beats Velasquez, then Cain goes on a losing streak and leaves the Top 10.

Would you consider Cain a Top 10 win for JDS then? :>

If Cain goes on a losing streak and ends up fighting in some gym in Hawaii against some dude off some local McDonald's employee, yes I wouldn't consider it a top 10 win. The fact that they not only lost, the fact that most of the fighters lost on their way out of the UFC, and ended up for some small ass local promotions shows how bad they were. Mark Hunt has a fucking losing record and the guy was putting that as a top 10 win, WTF?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sien916 said:
Let's be real...GSP vs. Diaz is gonna be a scrap brahs. Looking forward to it.
As much as I can't wait to see GSP finish Diaz in the 1st round (for the lulz), I'm more excited about the UFC 136 card of forever.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
We also agree that GSP has the best doubles and singles in MMA.

Can we make a pact to set each other to ignore during that card?

1. sure.

2. after 7 or 8 years on here, i've never had anyone on ignore. why start now? i'm not going to let a french canadian with a propensity for shooting for takedowns in the opening moments of a round, ruin my enjoyment of discussing mma with my peers. don't let my dissenting opinion ruin the circle jerk in a few months :)

TheNatural

My Member!
tass0 said:

Would you consider Cain a Top 10 win for JDS? Of course you would.

I don't see how this is any diffrent.

And Andrei Arlovski was ranked #2, the second best in the world, coming off a 5 fight winning streak (three UFC, two outside UFC) when Fedor KO'd him.

But hey, that win totally doesn't count as Top 10, even though he was #2, because Fedor cracked his chin and he loses all the time now lol.

He got his ass handed to him twice by Tim Sylvia, and then stepped down in competition after that. His last UFC win was over almighty Jake O 'Brien. He did what any fighter does getting handled and dropped down in competition. Then after Fedor, he lost 3 more in a row and KO'ed twice.

Rankings are just opinions, they mean jack shit, you use them as some sort of validation that the guy was awesome when he fought Fedor, and then magically just sucked afterwards.

yacobod

Banned
i'd just like to repeat something from the OP again:

yacobod said:
Legends that are no longer relevant, retired, punch drunk, or relegated to crappy M-1 Global Cards. Respect and Salute.

Just give the Fedor thing a rest. He's in the legends section where he belongs. He's no longer relevant. If he wins a few fights in a row over good competition, or joins the UFC and cleans house we can revisit things. The guy was wildly entertaining in his heyday in Pride. Even if you dislike his competition since the Pride fallout, he's given the fans some cool moments. The Arlovski knockout was a thing of beauty. I mean look at those souless eyes, and tell me that's not beautiful.

knock-out.jpg

The way he timed the punch on the flying knee was awesome. If Machida didn't violently knockout Rashad, I think the Fedor/Arlovski KO would have been my favorite of the past few years, but the Rashad KO face was priceless.

He also dispatched tim sylvia like he was fucking zuluhino within 30 seconds, which was awesome. It's hasn't been all that bad. Losing to bigfoot silva is nothing to be ashamed of. Antonio is going to be a top heavyweight in the ufc. And lets stop talking about Dan Henderson like he's a welterweight. Dan said himself that he would prefer to fight at 205 now. He can't get back down to 185 now that he's pumped up on TRT.

TheNatural said:
Rankings are just opinions, they mean jack shit, you use them as some sort of validation that the guy was awesome when he fought Fedor, and then magically just sucked afterwards.

Just give it a rest dude. You can disregard the quality of anyone's competition with hindsight. I did it for GSP's last 5 or 6 opponents in this thread. I was going purely by wins and losses after their match, so you can't even argue with those numbers.

And people can always question the quality of competition that Anderson has faced, but the fact is that he KOs or submits the guys that they line up in front of him. That's all you can ask for.

The sport is still relatively in it's infancy to get all crazy about legacies. People are talking like there is a 100 year history to draw from like boxing, baseball, or football.

Heel

Chamber said:
As much as I can't wait to see GSP finish Diaz in the 1st round (for the lulz), I'm more excited about the UFC 136 card of forever.

136 + 137, SO AWESOME.

yacobud, I found a wrestler you can get excited about. 3 time state champion and all-american 155'er Justin Gaethje. Just made his pro debut a few weeks ago. Here's a sample.

tass0

Banned
TheNatural said:
He got his ass handed to him twice by Tim Sylvia, and then stepped down in competition after that. His last UFC win was over almighty Jake O 'Brien. He did what any fighter does getting handled and dropped down in competition. Then after Fedor, he lost 3 more in a row and KO'ed twice.

But Cain is so good because he faced mighty competition such as Ben Rothwell, Denis Stojnić, Brad Morris and... Jake O'Brien.

A few of these guys got TKO/KO'd by AA, and lost to LHW's.

Cain got the title shot by beating Zombie Nog, and won it by beating a WWE superstar (who is 5-2 in MMA), so that -totally- makes Cain's legacy greater than Fedor.

Just look at how many times Cain defended his titl- .. uh wait

And he almost got KO'd by Kongo lol

TheNatural

My Member!
tass0 said:
But Cain is so good because he faced mighty competition such as Ben Rothwell, Denis Stojnić, Brad Morris and... Jake O'Brien.

A few of these guys got TKO/KO'd by AA, and lost to LHW's.

Cain got the title shot by beating Zombie Nog, and won it by beating a WWE superstar (who is 5-2 in MMA), so that -totally- makes Cain's legacy greater than Fedor.

Just look at how many times Cain defended his titl- .. uh wait

And he almost got KO'd by Kongo lol

Cain has never lost 3 fights in a row, and neither has JDS. When they lose 3 fights in a row, get back to me.

dream

I think there's too much skill parity between today's top heavyweights (except for Shane Carwin. Fuck Shane Carwin.) for anyone to put their stamp on an era the way Fedor did.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
wait melvin guillard has to fight creepy joe now? smfh. he is like the reverse akiyama in so many ways

yacobod

Banned
dream said:
I think there's too much skill parity between today's top heavyweights (except for Shane Carwin. Fuck Shane Carwin.) for anyone to put their stamp on an era the way Fedor did.

shane makes up for skill with steroids :)

AstroLad said:
wait melvin guillard has to fight creepy joe now? smfh. he is like the reverse akiyama in so many ways

well it could be a lot of things. the top of 155 is so cluttered with guys who want a crack at the title. a tournament would be the best thing, but that's not the way ufc rolls, so they are giving melvin a fight to keep active, a very winnable fight to keep him in "title contention", and the zuffa train keeps rolling. You figure Bendo, Guida, Melvin, Pettis, and w/e else are going to want title shots. If BJ ever drops back down in weight he will be a top contender as well.

dream

I liked it when Shane Carwin blew up because of all his steroid weight, got choked out by Brock, then half-dropped his classy engineer persona and was all like "I fell off the fucking mountain but I'm going to fucking climb back up again."

Heel

yacobod said:
well it could be a lot of things. the top of 155 is so cluttered with guys who want a crack at the title. a tournament would be the best thing, but that's not the way ufc rolls, so they are giving melvin a fight to keep active, a very winnable fight to keep him in "title contention", and the zuffa train keeps rolling. You figure Bendo, Guida, Melvin, Pettis, and w/e else are going to want title shots. If BJ ever drops back down in weight he will be a top contender as well.

The X factor is waiting in the wings.

YkbL8.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yacobod said:
he should at least fight bendo. creepy joe is so fucking anticlimactic in every way. might as well put him up against aaron riley. although after guillard beats joe maybe he can fight paul taylor for the right to meet riley

dream

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

QRJ is going to expose Bones Jones as the lanky frontrunner that he is.

yacobod

Banned
ya dude can't wait until gil can get out of strikeforce and into the shark tank of the 155 division. i think he can make some real noise. 155 is crazy stacked, no other division is even close to as competitive.

yacobod

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Bendo will be champ by the end of 2012 and I will fuck hate it.

you know i used to be pretty down on him, but he really impressed me when he dismantled the ultra vanilla miller brother. and i always get a kick out of someone exhibiting actual violent ground and pound. he just put a beating on miller in the 3rd round. i still think if jackson can keep melvin away from the blow he's the next champ at 155.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
CaptYamato said:
Bendo will be champ by the end of 2012 and I will fuck hate it.
i think and hope guillard can take him.

lw is funny b/c there are so many guys and yet i never even think of gray and frankie since they haven't fought anyone but each other in so damn long. i like the frankie underdog story but i seriously wonder if either guy is even top 5 at this point

Kayo-kun

TheNatural said:

JDS beat Werdum, something Fedor couldn't do. They both beat Fedor's two best opponents in Big Nog and Cro Cop, not in their primes, but they can't help that. And it's not like they're all decrepit either, so that's no excuse, Nog and Fedor are 34, and Cro Cop is 36 - the same age as Anderson Silva. And all still way younger than Dan Henderson.

Lost in all this is they're not even that old, but Nog has done mediocre against UFC competition, Cro Cop has been destroyed by it, and Fedor got his ass kicked by two guys that Dana didn't even think were worth keeping around in the UFC.

Same old Zuffa propaganda. It never gets old.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I actually wouldn't want to be the guy who fights the loser of Edgar/Maynard. Those two are still the class of that division along with Gilbert in my view.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
i'd take guillard & bendo over either guy easily at this point.
i think you could at least make good arguments for cerrone and guida being much improved and competitive against those two.

bunch of guys below that that are up and down but talented enough that i'd say it's plausible

no way of knowing really until those guys finally rejoin the rest of the division already in progress

yacobod

Banned
sien916 said:
Gil is coming through to put the scrap pack two piece on the whole division. Can't wait.

i can't wait to see him in the octagon as well, BUT i'm going to reserve judgement until he fights someone good. he looked very impressive against kawajiri, but i don't know how to extrapolate that into the ufc. aoki and kawajiri wouldn't even be top 20 in the ufc. the only reason they are hyped is because they fight in japan, as unpopular as my opinion is, deep down in your heart of hearts you know its true. japanese fighters typically have no success in the states, and the level of competition since pride folded is abysmal.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Guillard's win streak is Jim Miller-esque. Right now his best wins are Dunham and Stephens and that Stephens fight wasn't impressive at all. I'd like to see him fight Pettis, Guida, or Bendo first before we start talking title shots.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Chamber said:
Guillard's win streak is Jim Miller-esque. Right now his best wins are Dunham and Stephens and that Stephens fight wasn't impressive at all. I'd like to see him fight Pettis, Guida, or Bendo first before we start talking title shots.
well don't worry his fight with joe lauzon should put a lot of those concerns to rest.

Heel

yacobod said:
i can't wait to see him in the octagon as well, BUT i'm going to reserve judgement until he fights someone good. he looked very impressive against kawajiri, but i don't know how to extrapolate that into the ufc. aoki and kawajiri wouldn't even be top 20 in the ufc. the only reason they are hyped is because they fight in japan, as unpopular as my opinion is, deep down in your heart of hearts you know its true. japanese fighters typically have no success in the states, and the level of competition since pride folded is abysmal.

Yeah, I find Aoki and Kawajiri to be overrated when compared to the UFC elite. That said, Gil has the tools and style to be very successful in the octagon. The idea of Gil versus someone like Edgar or Guillard might give me insomnia.

On the subject, Melendez vs. Masvidal is going to be one hell of a scrap.

Top Bottom