• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RootCause

Honest Question:

When can one expect a new version of the Switch?

Something like the 3DS -> 3DS XL; A change that fixes or improves the experience.

In the case of the Switch, I'm waiting for a version with improved battery life and less dock issues, and I'm willing to wait until there are more games on it too. (A price cut wouldn't hurt either, honestly.)

Any idea when that'll be?
2 years seems like a good guess. Personally I haven't had any problems with my switch, but I'm sure the dock/jcon thread might make some worry. It's okay to wait if you're not entirely comfortable with the system as it is at the moment.

mojo2

Neo Member
My couch is just far enough away that my left Joy-Con doesn't work quite right. But when I move into an armchair that's a little closer, it works fine, even with the Dock behind the TV.

Sucks, but a minor annoyance for now until they inevitably come out with an improved Joy-Con.
Send it to Nintendo. As has been said here plenty of times, there's a bad batch, they are not all like that.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
So,

I've finally pulled myself away and went out to my favorite bar. (Brought the Switch with me)

People kept saying, "Is that the new Nintendo? Its so cool." "I have the old Nintendo" 😂😂😂

GDGF

Soothsayer
So,

I've finally pulled myself away and went out to my favorite bar. (Brought the Switch with me)

People kept saying, "Is that the new Nintendo? Its so cool." "I have the old Nintendo" ������

Yep.

This device is gonna be huge.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
When I got home last night, I plugged my switch into my spare charger. Official Nintendo charger, mind you. Never had any problems with it, didn't worry about it, went to bed.

Just picked up my Switch and it was red hot. Thought it was weird, but didn't mind. And then I fired up Zelda, where it was night time in the game. I noticed the sky looked weird, and then it hit me.

It's not as noticeable as it is in person, but that's the fucking Switch main menu burned into my screen. FAST RMX and Snipperclips tiles, super visibly burned into the screen.

Somehow, despite my settings being set to go into sleep after 10 minutes of inactivity, my Switch stayed on with the screen at it's normal brightness for 24 hours. And it the screen got so hot that my tempered glass screen cover is starting to come off, too.

This is fucking infuriating. I have it completely turned off for the night and I'm going to hope it's not still there tomorrow. But I'm still extremely concerned why it didn't go into sleep mode from sitting on the main menu without any input at all for over 24 hours.

Is the 10 minute setting for battery mode? If it's plugged it it'll be ignoring that setting.

watershed

Banned
Whether attached our detached, the Joycons communicate with the Switch via Bluetooth.
Is rhat true? Then does airplane mode in portable mode disable airplane mode from shutting down bluetooth? Because in tv mode and table top mode, airplane mode shuts off wifi and Bluetooth by default which makes playing with detached joycons impossible.

My girlfriend got one in today and I've got to say that I'm really impressed. We were playing Breath of the Wild (She's a huge Zelda fanatic, I've never played one). Moving from couch to handheld is really good. I'll probably cave if they ever get a Pokemon game up there

Is rhat true? Then does airplane mode in portable mode disable airplane mode from shutting down bluetooth? Because in tv mode and table top mode, airplane mode shuts off wifi and Bluetooth by default which makes playing with detached joycons impossible.
You can't turn on airplane mode in TV mode/while docked.

You can turn on Bluetooth separately after turning on airplane mode i believe.

My girlfriend got one in today and I've got to say that I'm really impressed. We were playing Breath of the Wild (She's a huge Zelda fanatic, I've never played one). Moving from couch to handheld is really good. I'll probably cave if they ever get a Pokemon game up there

When, not if.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
When I docked for the first time, I was playing Zelda and I got a bunch of corrupted coloured vertical lines in the bottom portion of the screen. Anyone seen that before? I'm running through my receiver but not had an issue with anything else before

Pokemaniac

How's the battery when playing it in tabletop mode? is the difference big?

I'm willing to take a 10/15 minute hit.

Tabletop mode and handheld mode aren't really particularly different. It's just whether or not you're holding the system.

EDIT: I really need to get better at checking if there's more pages...

Zedark

I would recommend keeping an eye on the time around E3 this year, since a reliable source (Eurogamer) have said their sources claim a third version of the 7th gen (Sun/Moon) will be coming this fall. Beyond that, we know that Game freak is hierin for a pokémon project for, most likely, the Nintendo Switch.

Kudo

Jeez, I really hope the Wi-Fi issue is in software and not the hardware, annoying to not be able to connect and sometimes it works fine.

sadromeo

This definitely needs to happen. I can enjoy BOTW, MK8 and some Indies until then. But it needs to happen.

Litri

When I docked for the first time, I was playing Zelda and I got a bunch of corrupted coloured vertical lines in the bottom portion of the screen. Anyone seen that before? I'm running through my receiver but not had an issue with anything else before

Seems like a HDMI video handshake problem. I have had that a couple of times with my receiver but never when the console was plugged directly to the TV. Nothing to worry about as it went away when I switched the receiver off and on again.

Charamiwa

Banned
So if I create three accounts (EU, NA, JAP), will I still have the remaining funds issue in the eShop? What do people recommend in general, switching the region of one account back and forth or creating multiple ones?

Now that more time has passed, how are you guys feeling about the joycons-in-grip controller option? I'm sure the pro controller is superior, but personally, I've dumped hours into Zelda with the puppy-grip without any complaints.

Whether attached our detached, the Joycons communicate with the Switch via Bluetooth.

Tabletop mode and handheld mode aren't really particularly different. It's just whether or not you're holding the system.

EDIT: I really need to get better at checking if there's more pages...

You're wrong guys.
Handheld mode doesn't involve a Bluetooth connection to the Joy-Cons, Tabletop mode does.
So the original concern is valid, Tabletop mode will use more battery power than playing in Handheld will.

mhayze

If the switch continues to sell well, I can't see a price cut even a year+ out (if it's selling well at that time). Nintendo didn't cut the price of the Wii until it was approaching year 3 iirc. If theres a redesign, that's often a price reset - i.e. "new switch 299 old switch 250 while stocks last."

optimiss

If the switch continues to sell well, I can't see a price cut even a year+ out (if it's selling well at that time). Nintendo didn't cut the price of the Wii until it was approaching year 3 iirc. If theres a redesign, that's often a price reset - i.e. "new switch 299 old switch 250 while stocks last."

Or it will be very late in the Switch's life and will coincide with features being simplified/removed and a big price drop like we saw with the GC and Wii. But that is the version of the console no one wants.

Garcian

Apologies if this has been covered, but can you use more than one Pro Controller at the same time (on the same Switch)?

Want some extra controllers for Mario Kart multiplayer & figure that another Pro is the way to go.

Apologies if this has been covered, but can you use more than one Pro Controller at the same time (on the same Switch)?

Want some extra controllers for Mario Kart multiplayer & figure that another Pro is the way to go.
Yes you can just pair up extra controllers for extra player doesn't matter what type, you do so with the controller icon on the switch dashboard

kizmah

Last night I played some Snipperclips with my girlfriend (who never plays games) and she loved it. It was just great fun, extremely charming and inviting and perfectly challenging. So nice to have a game to play together with her when I'm not playing (or rather obsessing over) Zelda. Reminds me of Wii-days and Twilight Princess/Wii Sports combo.

Now that more time has passed, how are you guys feeling about the joycons-in-grip controller option? I'm sure the pro controller is superior, but personally, I've dumped hours into Zelda with the puppy-grip without any complaints.

Day 3 owner here, and so far I've found myself gravitating toward nunchucks (without the caps on). I used the puppy grip some the first night and it was fine, but split is the most comfortable of all, I think, for me at least.

I used the grip for about 10-15 minutes when I first docked it with Zelda and it was fine, but then I tried split joycons and ooooh boy, that's by far the best way to play.

I don't think I can go back to a standard controller after this.

It seems that the Switch is a bit too easy to unlock on accident. Twice now I've put it in my bag and pulled it out later to find the "press the same button 3 times" thing has been triggered and I'm sitting on the home screen. I've just resorted to turning it off completely for now.

That makes no sense.

Actually it does. Look at the bottom of the attachment rail on your joy con. Inside the bottom little notch are the connections to the tablet. There is no Bluetooth connection when connecting the joy cons.

However, the bluetoooth signal is probably making you loose 2 mins of play time total, so the extra power draw is negligible.

MAX PAYMENT

Actually it does. Look at the bottom of the attachment rail on your joy con. Inside the bottom little notch are the connections to the tablet. There is no Bluetooth connection when connecting the joy cons.

However, the bluetoooth signal is probably making you loose 2 mins of play time total, so the extra power draw is negligible.

Oh I misread it. I thought it was implying it uses a different wireless signal between TV mode and tabletop mode.

Fliesen

Also, turning on "Airplane mode" deactivates any kind of radio signal and the joycons only work while attached to the system.

"Wireless even when attached" is a myth :p

Kyzer

Banned
So anyone successfully mod their joycons to fit more snug into the console? Pretty sure the wrist straps fucked my joycons up and they arent nearly as locked tight anymore

So I just got a new Pro Controler. Is it me or does direction input on it seem delayed?? Compared to my joycons they it seems to have a small time delay, its more appearant in Zelda but not in the menus. Maybe its just me being crazy but i noticed it immediatly upon opening the game. And yes i have game mode on my tv.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My own Switch right here man :lol
Play in handheld and activate Flight/Airplane mode via Quick Menu.
Disconnect the Joy-Cons.
What happens?

Now that's a good argument. :)

I remember reading that the sides of the Switch could merely charge the joy cons. So I guess it's more than just a power connection.

Whats the source making everyone believe they operate on bluetooth even when its in handheld?

Because we know how they work 100% while not connected. Something different when connected would have to be proven.
Similar to when people used to ask whether a dual shock 4 controller that is connected with USB is actually using USB for data and not just to charge.

So I just got a new Pro Controler. Is it me or does direction input on it seem delayed?? Compared to my joycons they it seems to have a small time delay, its more appearant in Zelda but not in the menus. Maybe its just me being crazy but i noticed it immediatly upon opening the game. And yes i have game mode on my tv.
Not sure if it's the same thing, but the Joycon sticks are extremely sensitive in my opinion.

Kyzer

Banned
Now that's a good argument. :)

I remember reading that the sides of the Switch could merely charge the joy cons. So I guess it's more than just a power connection.

Because we know how they work 100% while not connected. Something different when connected would have to be proven.
Similar to when people used to ask whether a dual shock 4 controller that is connected with USB is actually using USB for data and not just to charge.

Ok gotcha. Well yeah, apparently you can turn off bluetooth and they work. Meaning there is data being receieved by other means. According to peoples accounts anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom